P&O Arvia Construction

Monorail Orange

No matter what we think, its bound to end up as something easily trademarked, quickly prounouncable and quite likely generic.

No point giving it a name that can be mispronounced. Although as I type that I'm wondering how many other ways people can say Iona.. Eee-ona, Eye-onna, Ee-oh-nah. (this in comparison to the P&O pronunciation of eye-oh-na).

Of course, we all say it differently, but they won't want to have a name that hardly any of us can say.

Edited by Monorail Orange
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

To keep a potentially redundant word in more common parlance they could call her Brexit. After all, she will be built in Germany and will spend most of her time gliding around Europe. 

With some passengers not able to get off because of the new 90 day ruling!

16 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Muckle Flugga is one - trips off the tongue doesn't it.

Could have some interesting variations when spoken by someone who has partaken of a little too much alcoholic beverage...😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Islay sounds good

Or maybe "Isla", which ends in 'a', derives from Islay and is a - primarily - Scottish girl's name. Also, it apparently means "dynamic, vibrant, brilliant and bright as sun"... (and they could use 'L' as the cruise number prefix 😄).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Thanks for finding that though jaydee.

I wonder why she's currently listed as "over 180k GT" - I wonder if that means they've not finalised some things?

If she's the same as Iona, surely she'll be the same weight?

Probably just a few uncertainties like, will she have a skydome? will she have a giant cinema screen? If she is to be primarily a 'sun' cruise ship, there may be a few differences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Probably just a few uncertainties like, will she have a skydome? will she have a giant cinema screen? If she is to be primarily a 'sun' cruise ship, there may be a few differences.

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarity.

I didn't realise they were planning her to be a warm weather ship. So am I right in thinking that Iona will keep to her Norway and potentially expand to the Baltics, where as MS2022 will maybe do the Med?

4 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

I didn't realise they were planning her to be a warm weather ship.

I think you are jumping to conclusions. I'm not sure that Iona 2 was ever considered  as a warm weather ship , based entirely on UK cruisers. The logistics become too complex with regards to flights, possible delays etc. 

And, from a personal point of view,  I just don't want to descend on a small Caribbean island with 5,0O0 other Brits. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think you are jumping to conclusions. I'm not sure that Iona 2 was ever considered  as a warm weather ship , based entirely on UK cruisers. The logistics become too complex with regards to flights, possible delays etc. 

And, from a personal point of view,  I just don't want to descend on a small Caribbean island with 5,0O0 other Brits. 

According to molecrochip, she's going to be a warm weather ship and they've been right about everything else so far (I'm sure that's what they said anyway). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

According to molecrochip, she's going to be a warm weather ship and they've been right about everything else so far (I'm sure that's what they said anyway). 

If that's what Moley said, I stand corrected.

Logistically, in the winter months, flying to the Caribbean,  I still think it's a logistical nightmare. 

And personally,  no, not for me.

Just now, wowzz said:

If that's what Moley said, I stand corrected.

Logistically, in the winter months, flying to the Caribbean,  I still think it's a logistical nightmare. 

And personally,  no, not for me.

Not for me either. I suppose with Iona being Southampton based all year round, they need to put the next big one somewhere else to be able to fill them.