4th guest Pullman blocking access to balcony on deluxe balconies & minisuites (Royal/Regal/Sky)

MsPoppadom

Hi cruisers!

We are looking to book a deluxe balcony for four on Sky Princess, or a mini suite, but both cabin types say that the fourth guest sleeps in a pullman which blocks access to the balcony.

From the one photo I have seen on this forum, the pullman is over the sofabed, but how bad is the access. I'd hate to book a cabin where we don't have access to the balcony... and a standard balcony cabin with twins and twin bunks over would seem more suitable. Except for the smaller seating area and smaller balcony.

Any suggestions? We can't do two separate cabins with adjoining door as for cost need to be 4 in cabin.

Thanks,

Sanna

I have had this type of cabin. Small for 4 people. Ask the cabin steward to put bed up for day while you are at breakfast and down when you are at dinner. Really needs extra space to get through to open balcony dooor. Mini would be better for space. 2 cabins next to each other better or a suite. 

The upper berth will lower from the ceiling. Believe in a deluxe balcony the berth will be across the cabin along the glass balcony door blocking access to the balcony. In the mini believe the upper berth will be along the wall, so that only the 3 foot width is blocking the balcony glass. Request from your cabin steward to berth at evening turn down and raise it during the morning cleanup. Someone will have a photo. A mini suite would be a better choice for four in the cabin and the bathroom will be larger.

54 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Are all of you related? If not it is cheaper to get 2 cabins in the long run. Cabins are very small have you cruises before to have seen them?

As I said, we can't do two separate cabins due to the cost because we want a balcony and the only way to do separate cabins would be two insides. So that is a non-starter. The cheaper 3rd and 4th person rate in the cabin is what makes the deluxe balcony or minisuite price average out for us..

Three of us girls have cruised together before in an oceanview, so we know how the space can be. We were fine as we only used the cabin to sleep and get changed. Now there's a 4th girl joining so we're wanting a balcony for little extra space. We know the cabin attendant can put away the sofabed and pullman, but are interested in how badly the sofabed blocks balcony access.

I've understood that the deluxe balcony sofabed is small and opens into the room but a minisuite sofabed is full size and doesn't obstruct any more? Is this correct? And that the pullmans open in similar fashion, over the sofa and not into the room?

As someone who's cruised 3 and 4 to a cabin, four women sharing one bath comes to the top of my conerns.  In that regarded, the larger bath in the Minisuites might be a big plus.  I also like the idea of an interior across the hall (we've done this also).

In a mini suite the balcony door will be blocked when the sofa is made into a bed. The bathroom in a  mini suite has no bigger floor or counter space, the extra size is a tub which not useable for extra space. I personally wouldn't attempt four adults to any cabin except perhaps a full suite. If two cabins are unaffordable to you maybe a different style vacation would work better. 

The convertible beds are about 6 1/2 feet when open. There is a furniture unit on the wall opposite which is about 1 1/2 feet. The cabin wall to wall is 9 feet. There is very little space to walk around the sofa bed when opened. In the mini suite you probably can climb over it to reach the balcony. The sliding door should open. In the deluxe balcony the upper bunk will block the upper part of the balcony window/sliding door. Not sure if it can be opened, but maybe you can sneak between the upper berth and the sofa bed to open the sliding door. Not sure if the door sliding is blocked by parts of the upper berth.

Sliding doors as I remember on the Royal Princess opened from the left, slide left to right. If you select a cabin with the sofa on the right (bathroom as you enter on the right) then the sliding door access should be at the end of the bed. 

Of course this is only in the evening/overnight. During the day you should be able to access the balcony without difficulty. Room service breakfast on the balcony is probably something that is not easily accomplished.

Another point to be aware of. Most balconies on Royal Class ships are 9ft wide by 4ft deep, barely large enough to sit two people angled. With 4 in the cabin the balcony may not be that useful, or you will have to take turns. Balconies have two chairs with no space for additional ones. You may want to select one of the cabins with extended balconies. Some of these can be can be found on deck 8 on the Royal and Regal with additional cabins with larger balconies on the Sky. Check the deck plans.

You will have more space in the mini suite & possibly be able to access the balcony when sofa is made for bed. Not all are the same on every ship. Take the balcony, watch for price drops. Personally I would never choose an inside cabin. 

9 hours ago, Potstech said:

How about a Deluxe Balcony with an Interior right across from it. Just use the interior for changing and sleeping.  We have done this with friends in the past and lan to do it in the future.  Has worked out great.

The price for two people in an inside cabin is significantly more than the very discounted price of a 3rd and 4th passenger in a balcony cabin.

Everything in life is a tradeoff ... if 4 in a cabin with an always accessible balcony is not possible ... zero in on what is most important and compromise ... or consider delaying the holiday to be able to have all that you want  

• Like 1

4 adults in a Princess stateroom is tough. Their rooms are tight for 2 people. Last time we did 4,  guest 3 and 4 were teenagers. We were  in a balcony on the Caribbean Princess that has larger balconies than the Royal class ships. We had one bed that dropped from the ceiling and one roll away cot. At night you had to climb over the cot to get to the balcony. During the day was better as we were able to fold up the cot. That was the last time we sailed 4 in a room.   I am sure you will be able to get to the balcony with all beds down. You just have to be a contortionist. 

18 hours ago, dog said:

I have had this type of cabin. Small for 4 people. Ask the cabin steward to put bed up for day while you are at breakfast and down when you are at dinner. Really needs extra space to get through to open balcony dooor. Mini would be better for space. 2 cabins next to each other better or a suite. 

How about a balcony cabin with an inside across the hall? Would that suit your budget?

You'd have 2 bathrooms!! Always a plus.

19 hours ago, MsPoppadom said:

As I said, we can't do two separate cabins due to the cost because we want a balcony and the only way to do separate cabins would be two insides. So that is a non-starter. The cheaper 3rd and 4th person rate in the cabin is what makes the deluxe balcony or minisuite price average out for us..

She can’t do 2 cabins 

19 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

In a mini suite the balcony door will be blocked when the sofa is made into a bed. The bathroom in a  mini suite has no bigger floor or counter space, the extra size is a tub which not useable for extra space. I personally wouldn't attempt four adults to any cabin except perhaps a full suite. If two cabins are unaffordable to you maybe a different style vacation would work better. 

I'm thinking of a mini-suite for 3 on the Ruby or Majestic. Would you have the same concerns on a Grand class or just the Royal classes? I can't have 2 staterooms unless they connect as their ages are 6 & 13 will be 8 & 15. 

Check out the obstructed deluxe balcony cabins on deck 8 (Emerald) or Lido and Marina. Huge balconies on the forward part of the deck. The extra beds are out of the way during the day and at night probably won't be using the b.  You can always put the beds up and remake them when you're ready to sleep.