First Timers MSC - Divina & YC lots of help needed!

dizzyc

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Adding such a facility is not what I would expect as a YC guest.  On/near the beach?  OK, I can understand that.  But, the YC building at Ocean Cay needs to be made larger and more accommodating for the YC guests.  Didn't need to use the loo when I was there.  Is there only one such facility in that building?  

That's one of the reasons I rarely go into the sea!!

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Adding such a facility is not what I would expect as a YC guest.  On/near the beach?  OK, I can understand that.  But, the YC building at Ocean Cay needs to be made larger and more accommodating for the YC guests.  Didn't need to use the loo when I was there.  Is there only one such facility in that building?  

From the report it sounded like by the building and it was reported after several complaints here plus a picture of only one bathroom in the building for all folks to use.

OC was only open 3.5 +/- months.  You were lucky to make it.  We had it changed to not being done then finally a week to sail for next trip then boom.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:39 AM, dexddd said:

Maybe.  All we really saw the short time they were open is one person said they added a port o john at the YC area due to only one bathroom.

Only one bathroom, and a port-o-john, would be a huge disappointment if I were in YC!

When we sailed on Seaside, we were Bella.  Looking at my map of Ocean Cay (sigh), I see seven buildings scattered around the island that had equipment rentals, showers, and restrooms.  On our two visits there, we went to the two beaches on either side of the Lighthouse.  We thought they were quite pleasant.  

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Only one bathroom, and a port-o-john, would be a huge disappointment if I were in YC!

Agree.  Not quite the YC experience on would anticipate.  Maybe MSC management did not think the YC building would get the patronage that I witnessed?

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I see seven buildings scattered around the island that had equipment rentals, showers, and restrooms.

Yes, I did see those during my golf cart tour of the island.  For use by YC guests, though, would have been a "hike" as I remember.

12 hours ago, dexddd said:

OC was only open 3.5 +/- months.  You were lucky to make it. 

I realize this.  My visit almost did not make it to due wind/sea conditions.  

Just like NCLHaven, you can get disruptive guests in the YC.

Our first trip on MSC YC was Divinia.  Great trip overall.  However, we had extended family and as I reported before, one was like octomom.  She had several Young kids that were in mayhem mode everywhere on ship with little or no intervention from parents.

Running, screaming, making mess, diapered kid in YC pool.  Kids running around dinner table.  Kids running up down stairs.

Funny thing is the last day the sisters were in the lounge dropping f bombs about how bad everything was.  They made mention of not sailing MSC again which hopefully they do.

dex,  IMO that would be a huge disappointment.  One would think that YC crew would be the most experienced and most tactful in dealing with unpleasantness, and would have been able to take care of that to everyone's satisfaction.  

In our non-YC cruises, we experienced some crowds, mainly in the buffet, but no obnoxious kids or adults.  Lots of pleasant ones, though!

Our last cruise prior to Seaside was on Celebrity.  Very nice cruise, but some negative experiences with fellow passengers tainted the cruise to the extent that we are just not attracted to X any more.

I guess it all comes down to the luck of the draw.

YC is definitely the choice if you regard MSC as an option for your chosen itinerary. We have cruised twice in the Preziosa YC which is sister ship to Divina. If the option presents itself choose the larger Square cabin, it’s so much better, either deck does really matter.  The biggest downer is the restaurant.  Quality is just not good, food is just passable at best.  There is little or no shade on the YC sun deck and one side is smokers paradise. At least now MSC have stopped smoking in the YC lounge but elsewhere on the ship it does stink of tobacco, so be prepared. Entertainment is poor, the worse of any modern cruise line if you are English speaking.

Be prepared for multiple passengers changes during your itinerary, almost every port stop passengers embark and disembark making passengers tannoy announcement is real pain and in multiply languages, more akin to a ferry than a cruise ship.

We would never cruise MSC ever again, their approach / customer service during the pandemic was disgraceful. Be very careful, MSC have the reputation for changing your itinerary and ship without even telling you.  There are definitely better choices especially since the YC has risen it’s price point to a level that it is debatable whether it’s value for money anymore and food standards have fallen to unacceptable levels.  Their fee paying restaurant, Butcher’s Cut is excellent and definitely worthy of praise, but very expensive.

8 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

We also watched the TV program on Ocean Cay - not being beach lovers, we wondered if we'd even get off the ship - but that program has added further excitement for us.

I am not much of a beach person, either.  (Have to be careful of Mr. Sol.)  But, you won't be disappointed in getting off the ship and enjoying other aspects of Ocean Cay.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickey89 said:

YC is definitely the choice if you regard MSC as an option for your chosen itinerary. We have cruised twice in the Preziosa YC which is sister ship to Divina. If the option presents itself choose the larger Square cabin, it’s so much better, either deck does really matter.  The biggest downer is the restaurant.  Quality is just not good, food is just passable at best.  There is little or no shade on the YC sun deck and one side is smokers paradise. At least now MSC have stopped smoking in the YC lounge but elsewhere on the ship it does stink of tobacco, so be prepared. Entertainment is poor, the worse of any modern cruise line if you are English speaking.

Be prepared for multiple passengers changes during your itinerary, almost every port stop passengers embark and disembark making passengers tannoy announcement is real pain and in multiply languages, more akin to a ferry than a cruise ship.

We would never cruise MSC ever again, their approach / customer service during the pandemic was disgraceful. Be very careful, MSC have the reputation for changing your itinerary and ship without even telling you.  There are definitely better choices especially since the YC has risen it’s price point to a level that it is debatable whether it’s value for money anymore and food standards have fallen to unacceptable levels.  Their fee paying restaurant, Butcher’s Cut is excellent and definitely worthy of praise, but very expensive.

Yikes.

Could you use an "IMO" once in a while, or "our experience" rather state personal retribution toward MSC through almost all utterances (of things that happen on most ships)?

Just don't sail MSC.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Yikes.

Could you use an "IMO" once in a while, or "our experience" rather state personal retribution toward MSC through almost all utterances (of things that happen on most ships)?

Just don't sail MSC.  

I second your statement.  It is amazing how so many of us have cruised extensively and consider the YC experience superior to other cruise lines.  When I sailed on Seabourn, I expected outstanding service, which we did not receive.  Yet, many people regard Seabourn as the pinicle of cruise line service.  I'm sure my opinion of Seabourn is in the minority.    We would never have sailed on MSC if it were not for rave reviews from fellow travelers, whom we met on competing lines,  about their YC experience.  We decided to take a chance on MSC because we no longer wish to stand in lines, intensly dislike getting up at 7:00am to play the pool towel games and choose to feel pampered.  when we travel.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mickey89 said:

The OP will cruise in the Caribbean and there won't be passengers embarking and disembarking in every port there.

MSC is not the only cruiseline with embarkation and disembarkation in more than one port during cruises in the Mediterranean. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Yikes.

Just don't sail MSC.  

People need a balanced view (IMO-🤣) which is very different from the regular stalwarts of MSC on these threads.  In answer to your comment 'Just don't sail MSC' -  Made that decision, as I said never again, MSC are a disgrace and the more people that realise that the better.  Ignorance is bliss.........

2 hours ago, mickey89 said:

People need a balanced view (IMO-🤣) which is very different from the regular stalwarts of MSC on these threads.  In answer to your comment 'Just don't sail MSC' -  Made that decision, as I said never again, MSC are a disgrace and the more people that realise that the better.  Ignorance is bliss.........

Well, you proved my intended point.

Who, that is as per a reasonably prudent and balanced person, who did not enjoy a particular cruise on a particular line, and drawing 100% self-confirmation that all the ships in the particular cruise line fleet offer the same repulsive experience, self-believed so much so to the point of vowing never to sail the entire line again, would follow "that particular line" on a social media message platform?"

IMO, not a reasonably prudent or balanced person.

As an FYI, it appears we've seen enough over the past 10 months from the pandemic to 'beware of others trying TO SAVE US on our behalf because we are not competent enough to MAKE DECISIONS FOR OURSELVES.

So, move on 'bliss.

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C. S. Lewis

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Yikes.

Just don't sail MSC.  

Mickey89 had a "bad experience" and has done everything he can to put people off MSC, various post to that effect

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The OP will cruise in the Caribbean and there won't be passengers embarking and disembarking in every port there.

MSC is not the only cruiseline with embarkation and disembarkation in more than one port during cruises in the Mediterranean. 

If I am not mistaken, every time the ship arrives to a port it has people both leaving the ship for good and those coming on board for the first time. Like a bus. So, I dont really understand whats the problem. It looks pretty normal to me.. 

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

If I am not mistaken, every time the ship arrives to a port it has people both leaving the ship for good and those coming on board for the first time. Like a bus. So, I dont really understand whats the problem. It looks pretty normal to me.. 

Often on cruises on the Mediterranean but I have never seen it anywhere else.

I don't think that it's normal on a cruise but it is normal on a bus! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Often on cruises on the Mediterranean but I have never seen it anywhere else.

It's my impression--with no experience--that it is the European based cruise lines that operate in European waters, such as Costa and MSC, that does this.  I don't think that U. S. based cruise lines, such as HAL, offers that option during their European cruises.

On world cruises or other long cruises, it is my experience when segments of the cruise are sold, there will be those guests who leave at certain ports and others will embark.  

OP, if you book the cruise and go to Ocean Cay, make sure you have water shoes with you to walk on the sand and in the water.

Remember, Ocean Cay is a reclaimed island that had been mined for sand. It has been refilled with dredged sand that contains bits of coral that will hurt if you step on a piece.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Some folks just have a hair up their, well, you know, and for these folks "ain't nothing ever gonna be right". 

Delighted to know they won't be taking up space in YC ever again. That's a good thing. A very good thing. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Mickey89 had a "bad experience" and has done everything he can to put people off MSC, various post to that effect

Don't overlook the ignore function...it works a  treat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Some folks just have a hair up their, well, you know, and for these folks "ain't nothing ever gonna be right". 

Yet, those folks need to be "heard" on a public message board.  Perspectives/experiences do differ.  All of us who participate in forums such as this know that a "grain or two..or more" of salt needs to be applied at times to what we "learn".  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It's my impression--with no experience--that it is the European based cruise lines that operate in European waters, such as Costa and MSC, that does this.  I don't think that U. S. based cruise lines, such as HAL, offers that option during their European cruises.

NCL also have more than one port with embarkation/disembarkation on some cruises in the Mediterranean.

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

NCL also have more than one port with embarkation/disembarkation on some cruises in the Mediterranean.

Correct.  At least as far back as 2008 then they paused it for a couple years then resumed again.