Word on the street....May is not sailing.

Pcardad

1 hour ago, traveling6pack said:

May16th sailing on the Navigator now all categories waitlisted. That is not a good sign. Third cruise cancellation. I know there are many people with more, but it’s getting pretty discouraging. 

looks like that on all ships 

16 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

But you are probably right in predicting through August at minimum

At some point NCLH needs to consider trying to sell some assets or declaring some form of bankruptcy; otherwise they won't have the funds to start up when they do eventually start up.  I know it is better to have your competitors cut their supply versus you cutting your supply in a slack demand market; however, I am not sure that NCLH is going to win this gambit.  I am actually surprised that NCLH hasn't sent a ship or two to Asia to cater to Asian market that has commenced cruising; something, anything to get some money coming in.

Just my two cents,

Marc

• Like 4

With the lack of foresight by the European Commission in ordering vaccines for all of the EC countries the vaccination programme hardly started. France has closed  its borders. I cannot see any European country accepting cruise ships this year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, johncb7 said:

With the lack of foresight by the European Commission in ordering vaccines for all of the EC countries the vaccination programme hardly started. France has closed  its borders. I cannot see any European country accepting cruise ships this year.

Isn't MSC already sailing in Europe?  Italy, Malta, and Greece?

We will shortly be approaching the 1 (one) year anniversary since declaring COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-1) a pandemic.  Just last month (January 2021) over 95,000 Americans lost their lives as a result of getting the virus.  Think of a year ago when we heard that this virus was in a state or two, and now try to identify anywhere in the United States that has not been affected.

For some reason, people have embraced the concept that if they get a shot or two (depending on the manufacturer dosing guidelines) that we will shortly be returning to our pre COVID-19 existence.  In  discussions and review of data coming from the Public Health (PH) community and my Infectious Disease (ID)/Epidemiology colleagues, we have a very long and bumpy road ahead.  Now with the introduction of three (s) variants/mutations (Brazil, South Africa and UK) our PH and ID colleagues are truly worried.  In my State (Maryland) we now have 2 (two) confirmed cases of the South Africa variant in which it is been determined that both are from community spread. 

We see articulated on these boards about cruises starting in several months or being moved to Europe or the Caribbean.  A quick review of data from our PH experts at the World Health Organization (and others) will debunk that quite quickly.  These areas overwhelmingly are in similar situations as the United States in regards to this pandemic.

Obviously as a person who enjoys cruising (and have enjoyed the Regent experience the dozen or so times have cruised with them)  and certainly wish to see cruising return.  We can all guess and hypothesize when cruising will return, but when you take a good hard look at the data, not the Cruise Lines, the ID and PH experts nor CDC have any idea when we can safely return to cruising.  

Folks, this is the worst Pandemic in over 100 years.  Let the Scientists do their work. Let's all follow the simple suggestions (social distancing, hand washing, masks, etc.) and hopefully in a year or so we can all look back and "remember the time..."

Stay safe.  Howie

• Like 14

I guess what bothers a lot of people is that they are just getting older and the time for them to travel is dwindling.  That time for them to travel is slowly going away.  So many people plan to travel when they retire, when they get older and most of Regent’s passengers fall into these categories.  Trips they had planned are going away and who knows when they will restart!!!??  I find myself in this category and somewhat frustrated.  I know this pandemic has to settle down and let science take its course.  But part of me just wants to see the world before we get too old to travel...

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, alidor said:

I guess what bothers a lot of people is that they are just getting older and the time for them to travel is dwindling.  That time for them to travel is slowly going away.  So many people plan to travel when they retire, when they get older and most of Regent’s passengers fall into these categories.  Trips they had planned are going away and who knows when they will restart!!!??  I find myself in this category and somewhat frustrated.  I know this pandemic has to settle down and let science take its course.  But part of me just wants to see the world before we get too old to travel...

It's called.  " QTR " ( Quality Time Remaining )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Isn't MSC already sailing in Europe?  Italy, Malta, and Greece?

This CC article give a good résumé of which cruise lines are operating, including those in Europe.

Some other lines may consider dipping their toes in the water as the vaccination roll-out accelerates and with the onset of better weather come Spring & Summer.

Success will also require the lifting of the various travel restrictions & border controls now in place; but there will be the inevitable tussle between medical/scientific opinion, economic pressures, nationalism & political expediency.

Cruise lines, and regulatory authorities, will also be sensitive to the inevitable media hype which will accompany the significant resumption of cruising in any region.

As with everything covid related during 2020, it continues to be crystal-ball gazing trying to predict how things will pan out in 2021, but we try to remain optimistic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alidor said:

2 hours ago, captjohn said:

It's called.  " QTR " ( Quality Time Remaining )

Both are so right.... it’s time to start planning now!

sheila

• Like 1

MSC did start a few cruises in the Med. I think you will find that many were cut short and/ or refused port entry when COVID was found onboard despite stringent testing. Until there is a high level of vaccination in the countries to be visited and in any county used to transit we would not consider this risk. In addition the thought of sitting in close contact on an aircraft and wearing a mask for many hours would not be a pleasant experience. Then add masks on board possibly. Do not call this a holiday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alidor said:

Totally relate.

Our Alaska cruise was cancelled last year. We rebooked for May this year. Obviously, this also will be cancelled. Since it will be at least another year before the possibility of sailing, I am a bit worried.

We may still be alive but it is harder to do things like travel.

• Like 1

Howie, I feel you have stated the situation very well. I think people who believe cruising will start again in June or July are simply engaging in wishful thinking. It's way beyond optimism.

There are still too many uncertainties about too many factors. There is no evidence, nor are there any indications, cruising will resume quickly. I don't think there will be Canadian or European cruises this year.

And believe me when I say no one wants cruising to resume more than I do.

tom.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

We can all guess and hypothesize when cruising will return, but when you take a good hard look at the data, not the Cruise Lines, the ID and PH experts nor CDC have any idea when we can safely return to cruising.

20 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

We see articulated on these boards about cruises starting in several months or being moved to Europe or the Caribbean.

As you say, those predictions may be right or they may be wrong.

Some posters will be optimistic and some will be pessimistic.
Both the pessimists & the optimists will argue that they are being realists but in truth no one can predict how life, including travel & cruising, will develop over the rest of 2021.

• Like 6

Still no word on May sailings.  There has also been no word from NCLH or RCG regarding quarterly earnings.  Putting two and two together to make six I would like to speculate what the merger of RCG and NCLH will look like.

Silversea becomes expedition only with remaining ships merging under Regent.  

Four "R" ships go to Azamara whilst the two remaining "O" ships get merged into Celebrity; Celebrity Xpedition ships move to Silversea.

RCL and NCL remain separate for now.

I am waiting for my 31 May cruise to cancel; will make 143 nights at sea that have been cancelled in last year along with around 60 nights of land trips.

I keep booking hoping someday we will start traveling again.

Marc