Aren't Vaccines a Game-Changer?

Jimmcdaniel

Bellagio Cruisers, on a different thread, you posted that you had cancelled your 2021 cruise and have planned a land trip to Israel.  I recently read that Royal Caribbean will be sailing out of Israel beginning this spring.  I realize Royal Caribbean is not Regent and you will not get the "Regent Experience", but it could be an option to explore.

21 minutes ago, mariners said:

Bellagio Cruisers, on a different thread, you posted that you had cancelled your 2021 cruise and have planned a land trip to Israel.  I recently read that Royal Caribbean will be sailing out of Israel beginning this spring.  I realize Royal Caribbean is not Regent and you will not get the "Regent Experience", but it could be an option to explore.

Thank you... I did see it.. When we are in Tel Aviv, we stay at the Hilton. The balconies look out to the sea. When I am on the balcony,  it’s like being being on a ship. But I will wait to sail on Regent. 
sheila

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fudgbug said:

It's not hard to register.  The instructions are easy. 

The hard part comes when you want to go in to look at your account again.  The site comes up to register.  It also has a line Already have an account where you put in the IIS record number that they give you. and they'll send a code to your phone.  No matter how many times I tried, that code never came to my phone.  When I tried Register, all of our info came up, I received a code and all is well.

Worth it?  I don't know, but at least I have a place to go that shows that I received the first shot.  When it is time for the second shot, I'm supposed to get a text as a reminder.

Vsafe is NOT a site that will prove you got the vaccine as anybody can simply register on that site.  Your record simply indicates which "brand" of vaccine you got and not the serial number or other information from your CDC card.

Yes, it is affiliated with CDC but, not proof that you got the shot and not usable in order to travel to anywhere that requires the shot.

Vsafe is strictly a site to measure reactions to the shot and only that.

As to the code does eventually come to my smart phone.  Takes much longer than expected but, has come everytime I have tried to log in.  And can confirm only what I told them is in the record so no a verification of vaccination.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Vsafe is NOT a site that will prove you got the vaccine as anybody can simply register on that site.  Your record simply indicates which "brand" of vaccine you got and not the serial number or other information from your CDC card.

Yes, it is affiliated with CDC but, not proof that you got the shot and not usable in order to travel to anywhere that requires the shot.

Vsafe is strictly a site to measure reactions to the shot and only that.

As to the code does eventually come to my smart phone.  Takes much longer than expected but, has come everytime I have tried to log in.  And can confirm only what I told them is in the record so no a verification of vaccination.

Thank you for the clarification.

22 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

It’s time for the CDC to revise its rules for cruising.... don’t ya think?

sheila

YES INDEEDY!!!  But, I'm even willing to wear my mask in transit from venue to venue if it means getting on a luxury cruise.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

It’s time for the CDC to revise its rules for cruising.... don’t ya think?

sheila

Actually it is time for the CDC to actually provide the requirements that the cruise lines are waiting for so that they can start modifying their procedures and sail the cruises without paying passengers so that they can get the Conditional Authorization to sail.

Not enough information has been provided so far to need any revisions.  Once the requirements are provided and the cruise lines start moving forward, revisions may be necessary.

• Like 2

Just now, rallydave said:

Actually it is time for the CDC to actually provide the requirements that the cruise lines are waiting for so that they can start modifying their procedures and sail the cruises without paying passengers so that they can get the Conditional Authorization to sail.

Not enough information has been provided so far to need any revisions.  Once the requirements are provided and the cruise lines start moving forward, revisions may be necessary.

Makes you wonder.....why has the CDC waited SO MANY MONTHS since making their last long-winded statement about 'safe return to cruising' when they haven't bothered to specify their requirements? Sure, "they" said no cruises longer than 7 days if beginning/ending/transiting US ports among other things...but why the delays?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Makes you wonder.....why has the CDC waited SO MANY MONTHS since making their last long-winded statement about 'safe return to cruising' when they haven't bothered to specify their requirements? Sure, "they" said no cruises longer than 7 days if beginning/ending/transiting US ports among other things...but why the delays?

The last statements that were made by the CDC regarding cruising, predates the approval of the three vaccines presently available. 
We need to be pro-active in requesting new guidelines for cruising, with vaccines to be available for everyone by May, as stated by Biden. 
The cruise lines will need at least 90 days to begin boarding the first passengers. 
Most of the guidelines discussed, pre vaccine, do not apply. 
CDC— give us a clue!

sheila

• Like 6

Ever so slowly, the tide is turning. Yesterday's CDC guidance for fully vaccinated people has been widely criticized for not going far enough, especially wrt travel, although focused on air travel at this time. I see the criticism as a positive and hope they will be forced to loosen their recommendations further in the near future (weeks not months). It is pretty clear that the science says that being with other fully vaccinated people poses no risk to anyone.

More positive news today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/09/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

I hope my optimism is warranted, but at least I feel better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found the following vaccine tracker and found it to be very interesting. Vaccinations worldwide are just beginning and hopefully this tracker will be regularly updated. It could be instructive in helping us take an educated guess as to when various countries (that we might be hoping to cruise to) will be getting to a point where they can reopen. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

• Thanks 2

For a little light reading have a read of this link on our latest European issues on the rollout of the vaccination programmes. https://www.statista.com/chart/24429/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-in-europe/

Then have a read of this BBC report just released as to what organisation is behind all the false rumours & is actively open about spreading the “Fake” news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56412074?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6050faa84d910a02f0b40159%26Russian media cast doubt over vaccine safety%262021-03-16T18%3A57%3A31.241Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:f94b30ee-96f7-4aac-b198-3d3a7529020f&pinned_post_asset_id=6050faa84d910a02f0b40159&pinned_post_type=share

16 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

(Sort of) associated news  ... NY Gov Cuomo announced we can attend baseball stadium games in person if we prove vax or neg Covid test. 20% capacity. It will be interesting to see how they enforce it. 

I guess the Yankees and the Mets are contributing to his impeachment defense fund. /sarc/

• Haha 1

Numerous cruise lines tripping over each other to offer "special" cruises from UK ports this Summer; but none of the NCLH brands thus far.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5964/

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5956/

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5957/

Let's hope they don't trip themselves up with premature restarts

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:26 AM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Thank you... I did see it.. When we are in Tel Aviv, we stay at the Hilton. The balconies look out to the sea. When I am on the balcony,  it’s like being being on a ship. But I will wait to sail on Regent. 
sheila

So much of being in Tel Aviv is like being on the sea: from the smell of the Mediterranean to the wonderful food to the warm, wonderful people who live and work there.  You stay at the Hilton; we have stayed at the Intercontinental David.  Love those waterfront views!

15 hours ago, ysolde said:

So much of being in Tel Aviv is like being on the sea: from the smell of the Mediterranean to the wonderful food to the warm, wonderful people who live and work there.  You stay at the Hilton; we have stayed at the Intercontinental David.  Love those waterfront views!

We have stayed at the Intercontinental David, as well. Waterfront views in Tel Aviv are wonderful. We love the food and have several relatives in the area. Miss sailing but this is the best replacement!

6 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We have stayed at the Intercontinental David, as well. Waterfront views in Tel Aviv are wonderful. We love the food and have several relatives in the area. Miss sailing but this is the best replacement!

6 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Now that I think about it, do you think I could request shakshuka for breakfast on Regent?  Or will they not know what that is?  

2 hours ago, ysolde said:

Now that I think about it, do you think I could request shakshuka for breakfast on Regent?  Or will they not know what that is?  

Give them your preferred recipe - they will prepare it with 24h notice assuming they have all ingredients

• Like 1