Delay to start of Trans-Tasman bubble

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me - planning some winter sun in Queensland - totally expect to pay costs if the border closes while we're there - certainly not rushing back to go into isolation - will just stay longer at the beach 

I think it would be fine if you didn't have to get back to work and also had somewhere to stay in Aus.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I think it would be fine if you didn't have to get back to work and also had somewhere to stay in Aus.

I have my own business - but its all doable long-distance on a laptop - I figure if stuff shuts down there will be no issue with accommodation because  the next tourists won't be arriving. Its a risk - but hardly a huge one 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lissie said:

I have my own business - but its all doable long-distance on a laptop - I figure if stuff shuts down there will be no issue with accommodation because  the next tourists won't be arriving. Its a risk - but hardly a huge one 

Good on you Lissie.  I couldn't afford to get caught over there.  I have a job and also a business here (because I'm an idiot) and would have to be sure of getting back on time.  I guess the other issue may be with plane tickets, making sure that there is no penalty for changing flights.  I would guess Air NZ have been through the possible scenarios already.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

26 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

And if you had plenty of money to stay in a luxury Surfers Paradise apartment and wine and dine, lol. Not cheap up there. I have been up there a hundred times in the past 50 years.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And if you had plenty of money to stay in a luxury Surfers Paradise apartment and wine and dine, lol. Not cheap up there. I have been up there a hundred times in the past 50 years.

Just looked up Bateman to see where you live.  It looks like a nice place.  Not so far from Canberra?

• Like 1

Well,  there you go.  Air NZ say they are run off their feet.  The tickets are actually cheaper than I was expecting.  I hope people understand the risk and don't expect the govt to pay for their quarantine.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/new-zealand-and-australia-travel-bubble-to-begin-on-april-19-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern-air-nz-run-off-our-feet/CE5FN7UHT23NEY2VVKQZWANFQI/

There are going to be direct flights from NZ to Cairns and NZ to GC.  

I'll take a look late Spring when I may be able to combine a trip to NZ with Cook Islands.  I let my passport expire, however I looked up the cost of a five year passport today - $152.

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Just looked up Bateman to see where you live.  It looks like a nice place.  Not so far from Canberra?

Batemans Bay, 2 hrs east of Canberra and 4 hrs south of Sydney.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Good on you Lissie.  I couldn't afford to get caught over there.  I have a job and also a business here (because I'm an idiot) and would have to be sure of getting back on time.  I guess the other issue may be with plane tickets, making sure that there is no penalty for changing flights.  I would guess Air NZ have been through the possible scenarios already.

Yes - from the email Air NZ sent to me a few hours after the announcement : 

We know travel has become a bit more unpredictable with COVID-19 so we have extended our international flexibility policy. If you have flights scheduled to depart before 11:59pm 31 December 2021, you can opt into credit or make a change to the date or time of the flight with change fees waived (fare difference may still apply). You can find more information on our COVID-19 Hub.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lissie said:

Yes - from the email Air NZ sent to me a few hours after the announcement : 

We know travel has become a bit more unpredictable with COVID-19 so we have extended our international flexibility policy. If you have flights scheduled to depart before 11:59pm 31 December 2021, you can opt into credit or make a change to the date or time of the flight with change fees waived (fare difference may still apply). You can find more information on our COVID-19 Hub.

I would be more interested in a refund of the full fare if I had to cancel before commencing journey from Australia, don’t need any more rolling over of my hard earned money.

Cheers Carole

Just now, Elorac123 said:

I would be more interested in a refund of the full fare if I had to cancel before commencing journey from Australia, don’t need any more rolling over of my hard earned money.

Cheers Carole

Like the cruise lines the airlines want to keep the cold hard cash to stay afloat or stay in the air. That is why air credits and cruise credits are raining down like confetti. Would not suit me either, I would want what I paid them returned in real money.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Yes I just booked my accommodation for 2 weekends away - I love that area and go there once or twice a year. If I knew what @NSWPlooked like I might run into him.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the status of cruises between Australia and New Zealand?  I'm booked on one for November (ever the optimist) but with the announcement of the Trans Tasman bubble there was no mention of cruise ships.

21 minutes ago, alirat153 said:

Does anyone know the status of cruises between Australia and New Zealand?  I'm booked on one for November (ever the optimist) but with the announcement of the Trans Tasman bubble there was no mention of cruise ships.

I think it unlikely unless vaccination is seriously ramped up here and NZ. It is estimated that many Aussies wont have had their second shot by October. The cruise line may specify vaccinated passengers only. An alternative would be Oz and Kiwi passengers only with a negative COVID test or vax document. Overruling all of this is whether or not both federal governments will permit the ships to come. Not holding my breath on that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I think it unlikely unless vaccination is seriously ramped up here and NZ. It is estimated that many Aussies wont have had their second shot by October. The cruise line may specify vaccinated passengers only. An alternative would be Oz and Kiwi passengers only with a negative COVID test or vax document. Overruling all of this is whether or not both federal governments will permit the ships to come. Not holding my breath on that one.

I would say probably OZ/Kiwi guests only - and the testing/vaccination requirements will reflect where we are in the roll out by then. Certainly need to have a stable trans Tasman bubble as a first step. I wouldn't give up on cruising locally yet - remember that both NZ and Asutralia have got local cruising with local operators now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

I'd only be booking a few weeks in advance -  I think the future of travel the next few years is either very low refundable deposits e.g. Cunard or last minute bookings - which is what I'll do with hotels and flights 

• Like 1

Australia still has a cruise ship ban till June 17 and NZ still has a Maritime Border Order banning foreign vessels, with a few exceptions.  I think cruise ships will be hard to manage and are probably a low priority for both govts at the moment, sorry to say.  I think getting the vaccination rate up will be a priority first and the initial roll out has been slow on both sides of the Tasman.

47 minutes ago, lissie said:

I'd only be booking a few weeks in advance -  I think the future of travel the next few years is either very low refundable deposits e.g. Cunard or last minute bookings - which is what I'll do with hotels and flights 

I think last minute bookings are the way to go.

• Like 1