Princess top notch COVID safety

Jenal2

I realize this video is just the opinion of one woman,  but she seems to have done her homework and deemed Princess to have the best COVID safety measures in place, mainly because of the Medallion program.  Pretty interesting and gives me some hope that I will still be be able to cruise on the Caribbean Princess on 6-26.

5 minutes ago, Jenal2 said:

I realize this video is just the opinion of one woman,  but she seems to have done her homework and deemed Princess to have the best COVID safety measures in place, mainly because of the Medallion program.  Pretty interesting and gives me some hope that I will still be be able to cruise on the Caribbean Princess on 6-26.

Since no US-centric cruiseline is currently sailing, and the cruiselines are still trying

to resolve with the CDC what rules they MAY have in place when they do sail...

So, among all unknowns, how could anyone possibly know which unknown is best?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Since no US-centric cruiseline is currently sailing, and the cruiselines are still trying

Wishful thinking---whatever cruise line I have chosen has the best practices. Pretty please.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I don’t know...

I'm guessing masks will be around for years to come.   Weather or not they are mandatory going forward is a wait and see.   For some masks will now be part of our cruising packing list.  

Edited by waltd
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Wishful thinking---whatever cruise line I have chosen has the best practices. Pretty please.

In my opinion, planing on some future utility of the medallion is wishful thinking, as well.

The medallion has had a rocky history.   Plenty of posts about people who couldn't open their

cabin doors, etc.

I'm sure over time these issues will be just a memory.

But, if I am going to rely on something for my health / life against covid, I would want it

to have a little successful history.

I wish those people who make lengthy videos would take a tip from E. B. White, "Omit every unnecessary word."

32 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

So, please enlighten us ... which cruise line has the best covid practices?

IMHO, Saga. Boarding requires proof of vaccine completion. The line has always been age 50+, FWIW.

Edited by mtnesterz

19 hours ago, waltd said:

I'm guessing masks will be around for years to come.   Weather or not they are mandatory going forward is a wait and see.   For some masks will now be part of our cruising packing list.  

Our Federal Government doesn't seem to ascribe much to vaccines as not a single measure is excused for someone who is fully vaccinated.

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Our Federal Government doesn't seem to ascribe much to vaccines as not a single measure is excused for someone who is fully vaccinated.

Well, for sure, until a whole lot more are vaccinated, those measures shouldn't be relaxed.  And, how, as you move about a ship, or even go to a store, or walk down your street, do you notify the staff and others around you, that you are vaccinated? Should they tattoo a large red "V" on your forehead, so everyone knows from a distance that you are vaccinated, and not just ignoring protocols?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, for sure, until a whole lot more are vaccinated, those measures shouldn't be relaxed.  And, how, as you move about a ship, or even go to a store, or walk down your street, do you notify the staff and others around you, that you are vaccinated? Should they tattoo a large red "V" on your forehead, so everyone knows from a distance that you are vaccinated, and not just ignoring protocols?

True, but they have given no indication as to what the future might be.  Of course, they are struggling to get supply as promised.  I didn't mean to open a can of worms.

The premise of the blogger is silly.  What the cruise lines say they intend to do as covid protocols bears no resemblance to what regulatory agencies will require, so choosing one line over others based on their "promises" is ridiculous.  Whose to say that the CDC (for US cruises) doesn't require all that her vaunted Princess lines has promised, so all lines would meet the same requirements.  Contrarily, if the CDC requires less than what Princess has promised, does anyone really think the company will spend a dollar more than required to meet the requirements, so at actual sailing time, Princess might not provide the security that they promised long before the requirements were finalized?

• Like 2

Cruise lines will follow Covid protocols even when all the restrictions will be down. They will want to keep their reputation at high and will make sure that all their passengers are save.. well, at least for the first time

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The premise of the blogger is silly.  What the cruise lines say they intend to do as covid protocols bears no resemblance to what regulatory agencies will require, so choosing one line over others based on their "promises" is ridiculous.  Whose to say that the CDC (for US cruises) doesn't require all that her vaunted Princess lines has promised, so all lines would meet the same requirements.  Contrarily, if the CDC requires less than what Princess has promised, does anyone really think the company will spend a dollar more than required to meet the requirements, so at actual sailing time, Princess might not provide the security that they promised long before the requirements were finalized?

So what exactly are you saying?  They are already implementing the changes, their ships will all have the Medallion system, etc.   So you are saying that if somehow their changes exceed the CDC requirements they will undo all of that?   What are they going to do?   Shut down the Medallion system?   Remove the extra hand sanitizer dispensers that they installed?  Throw out the electronic thermometers that they purchased?   Clearly you are a glass is half empty king of person, but come on.  

If we are supposed to just disregard what the cruise lines say they are going it do about COVID then what should we rely on?   Your cynical, baseless opinions?  

14 minutes ago, Jenal2 said:

So what exactly are you saying?  They are already implementing the changes, their ships will all have the Medallion system, etc.   So you are saying that if somehow their changes exceed the CDC requirements they will undo all of that?   What are they going to do?   Shut down the Medallion system?   Remove the extra hand sanitizer dispensers that they installed?  Throw out the electronic thermometers that they purchased?   Clearly you are a glass is half empty king of person, but come on.  

If we are supposed to just disregard what the cruise lines say they are going it do about COVID then what should we rely on?   Your cynical, baseless opinions?  

I suspect that chengkp75 as an experienced chief engineer on cruise ships has insight into how shipping companies formulate health and safety policies.

Edited by brisalta

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Carnival Corp has said that its cruise lines and its competitors will not compete on the thought that one cruise line is safer than another. Basically, they will all end up with the same protocols world wide with probably a few stricter rules (that apply to all cruise lines) when certain countries on an itinerary require them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jenal2 said:

Poster 'chengkp75' has a long history posting here, with the credentials and experience to back up what he posts.

Calling his posts baseless is absurd.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Carnival Corp has said that its cruise lines and its competitors will not compete on the thought that one cruise line is safer than another. Basically, they will all end up with the same protocols world wide with probably a few stricter rules (that apply to all cruise lines) when certain countries on an itinerary require them.

Yes, if things go wrong and Covid affects a cruise again after a restart, all lines will be negatively affected. To advertise we are safer really does imply that there is still danger.

• Like 1

All in all, it is nice to see a report as to what the various cruise lines are doing to provide a protocol to protect both passengers and crew because it is a must. Regardless how some want to marginalize the overall features of the Ocean Medallion, it does provide features that none of the other ships have which could lessen the opportunity to contact a virus through touch various surfaces and having to frequent a venue, such as a bar, where social distancing might be an issue.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grego said:

Regardless how some want to marginalize the overall features of the Ocean Medallion, it does provide features that none of the other ships have which could lessen the opportunity to contact a virus through touch various surfaces and having to frequent a venue, such as a bar, where social distancing might be an issue.

What about the Royal Carribbean WOW bands?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-royal-caribbean-wow-bands

7 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Poster 'chengkp75' has a long history posting here, with the credentials and experience to back up what he posts.

Calling his posts baseless is absurd.

No more absurd than saying it is ridiculous to select a cruise line based on the changes being implemented to combat COVID

Edited by Jenal2

17 hours ago, Jenal2 said:

No more absurd than saying it is ridiculous to select a cruise line based on the changes being implemented to combat COVID

It would be a lot more sensible to select a cruise line based on the effectiveness of their covid changes.

The outcome of which will be influenced by the actual changes the cruiselines make,

as well as the behaviour of their passengers.

You seem to have a vested interest in the original video.

However, none of this really matters.

This is a princess forum.  The people here are generally loyal, and will select princess.

4 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

It would be a lot more sensible to select a cruise line based on the effectiveness of their covid changes...The outcome of which will be influenced by the actual changes the cruiselines make, as well as the behaviour of their passengers...This is a princess forum.  The people here are generally loyal, and will select princess.

Read just a few posts on the "Cruising with/without a mask," thread here in the Princess section. Nine pages and 221 posts as of this AM. Not taking sides, but there is a wide disagreement among posters, presumably also loyal Princess customers. Deniers, anti-vaxers, masks, no masks and statistic mis-quoters. These will be your fellow Princess passengers.

Will mandated regulations affect much? Only when everyone adheres to them and you know the answer to that. Perhaps overly cynical, but remember back when Norovirus was our biggest concern, we saw too many shun hand sanitizing at the Horizon Court buffet.

Edited by mtnesterz

26 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Read just a few posts on the "Cruising with/without a mask," thread here in the Princess section. Nine pages and 221 posts as of this AM. Not taking sides, but there is a wide disagreement among posters, presumably also loyal Princess customers. Deniers, anti-vaxers, masks, no masks and statistic mis-quoters. These will be your fellow Princess passengers.

Will mandated regulations affect much? Only when everyone adheres to them and you know the answer to that. Perhaps overly cynical, but remember back when Norovirus was our biggest concern, we saw too many shun hand sanitizing at the Horizon Court buffet.

I agree completely.

Contrast people using best practices, and some south padre island spring break.

The cruise lines can make plans, but the results depend a lot on passenger action.