Dress on Silversea Muse and Spirit

smoky angus

5 hours ago, smoky angus said:

What is the dress code for Spirit and Muse, please?

From the Silversea website...

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual
all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and
Alaska, formal night is always optional; guests may choose to
dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Evening Dress Code*   
Number of Cruise Days -> Formal -> Informal -> Casual
4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1
5 -> 1 -> 3 -> 1
6 -> 1 -> 3 -> 2
7 -> 1 -> 3 -> 3
8 -> 1 -> 4 -> 3
9 -> 1 -> 5 -> 3
10 -> 2 -> 5 -> 3
11 -> 2 -> 6 -> 3
12 -> 2 -> 6 -> 4
13 -> 2 -> 7 -> 4
14 -> 3 -> 7 -> 4
15 -> 3 -> 8 -> 4
16 -> 3 -> 8 -> 5
17 -> 3 -> 9 -> 5
18 -> 3 -> 10 -> 5
19 -> 3 -> 10 -> 6
20 -> 3 -> 11 -> 6

*This information is for your guidance only and is subject to change.

1 hour ago, smoky angus said:

...I was wondering about the experiences of those who have sailed on the Spirit and Muse.

Hi Anne.  Our experience on the Spirit and Muse was as written above.  We haven’t been on the Explorer yet.  

The only caveat is that we did a 7-day Caribbean voyage on the Spirit once and they didn’t have a formal night.  I’ve heard 7-day voyages in the Med do the same.

Edited by Stumblefoot

Hi Anne and Bob.  Have been on both the Muse and Spirit following the clothing guidelines posted by Brian/Stumblefoot above.  We generally wear formal wear (tux or dinner jacket for me) tho some men wear suits.  Ida wears long and short formal gowns on most formal nights.   However, when we need a formal wear break, we decide to eat in La Terraza (coat and tie for me, cocktail dress for Ida) on a formal night.  Have attached a photo from the Muse during dinner on a formal night.

Ida tho is so looking forward to just casual dress on yours and our March/April Silver Explorer voyages next year (Ushuaia to Zanzibar).

formal.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have also sailed on Spirit but not the Muse.  Formal nights for me are dressy slacks and a nice top with some jewelry and black sandals (dressier ones).

The other evenings I normally wear more casual slacks and a knit top

(for example, a twill pant).  I have never felt out of place in what attire 

I am wearing.

• Thanks 1

DH does not 'do' formal as such - but he wears a black jacket, black trousers, white shirt and coloured bow tie. He has never looked out of place. I do palazzo pants and silk blouse or similar. We pack light (mostly carry on size luggage) for any trip under about 2 weeks, so no long formal stuff. The only long dresses I do are on Cunard.

We really liked the dining options on Muse - and the ease of tables for 2 which really suited the way we like to eat. Tables are far enough apart to be separate but still close enough if you want to talk to the people next to you.

Edited by Aussieflyer

On 2/21/2021 at 6:28 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Hi Anne.  Our experience on the Spirit and Muse was as written above.  We haven’t been on the Explorer yet.  

The only caveat is that we did a 7-day Caribbean voyage on the Spirit once and they didn’t have a formal night.  I’ve heard 7-day voyages in the Med do the same.

We have a 7 day Baltic booked on the Spirit and, as of today, with reservations open, there are no formal nights shown.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Considering booking and not excited about telling my husband he has to wear a jacket...But it seems that although you can eat more casually on formal nights that you can't walk around the ship without a jacket on those nights.  Did I understand that corrrectly?

I like to dress up and we've brought tuxes and gowns on cruises before but schlepping too much luggage when we are adding on land-based travel on either side of the cruise can be a pain.

Hi, maybe I just don't notice as much because I sail solo but if your hubby is walking around the ship, i don't think he has to put a jacket on.....even on formal nights. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.  And an example, if you

choose to dine outside at the Grille on formal night, a jacket would not even come into play.....it is casual out there........and if you are walking back inside after, I would think he would not need to put on a jacket.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 5:12 PM, smoky angus said:

HI, 

We have been on the Cloud and the Wind; booked for Explorer, Spirit and Muse. What is the dress code for Spirit and Muse, please?

Thanks, 

Anne and Bob 

Maryland

Hi Anne & Bob just seen this post so maybe a little late in replying... Having had over 50 plus cruise ( only a beginner to silversea passengers lol) 6 with silversea ..MDH always dresses for dinner being causal or black tie ( others on this site will know😉)  last cruise on silver spirit fabulous Venetian sailing sept 2019 .we have with much sadness cancelled our sailing on the silver moon Venice to Athens in Oct as I don't think it will give us the cruise experience in which we are accustomed to..🍾 but happy sailing soon 🙏👔👔😷😷 photo of MDH last night on silversea sept 2019 casual night  👔😉

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Hi Anne & Bob just seen this post so maybe a little late in replying... Having had over 50 plus cruise ( only a beginner to silversea passengers lol) 6 with silversea ..MDH always dresses for dinner being causal or black tie ( others on this site will know😉)  last cruise on silver spirit fabulous Venetian sailing sept 2019 .we have with much sadness cancelled our sailing on the silver moon Venice to Athens in Oct as I don't think it will give us the cruise experience in which we are accustomed to..🍾 but happy sailing soon 🙏👔👔😷😷 photo of MDH last night on silversea sept 2019 casual night  👔😉

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

He can do casual when required..IMGP7350.thumb.jpg.2eb15856904313a8efb8d38f7bf26903.jpg

Really? For me, after so long away from the enjoyment of more structured occasions, dressing up a bit will be welcome. Some things should’nt change.

Old school? Ok, then. And I hope that others take up the opportunity to restore elegance to the ship!

Happy and healthy sailing!

10 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

Love dressing up .Its not that hard.

I could take it or leave it, but I agree that dressing up is not hard. It's the weight of extra clothes and shoes (especially for a man with size 13 feet!) which is sometimes what's hard, especially if traveling to a colder region and needing to pack heavier clothes. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I know that wearing clothing is strongly encouraged on the ships....

If you are combining a cruise with some before and after mucking about, may I suggest what we do, which is to use a service like Luggage Forward (or Silversea's version of same), to send a bag or two of nicer clothes for your cruise.  You don't have to deal with it before the ship (it is there waiting for you), and as soon as you disembark, the bag(s) go back home.  The best of both worlds. Part of what is nice about a ship is that you don't have to schlep a bunch of bags around.  So, ship your extra duds to the ship, and when done with them, ship them home.  This is one of the best tricks we ever figured out; you can look half way civilized on the ship, and travel light when you're not on the ship.  Also, if you buy stuff when on the ship, at various ports and such, you can ship it home and not have to carry it around with you.  Def the way to go.  

@Will Work for TiramisuIt's worth noting that Luggage Forward, while a great convenience, is also not an inexpensive add-on. If your cruise departs and returns to the US, the cost can be modest -- about $250/bag roundtrip -- but US to and/from Europe can run about $850 per bag roundtrip, and more to other parts of the world.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:35 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

It’s nice to dress up a little for dinner when on vacay but after being away from cruising for awhile I am surprised that SS is still so old school when it comes to attire.

It is worth noting that on its classic ships no one is forced to dress formal on formal nights.  There is always at least one casual option (Grill) and one informal option (La Terrazza).

3 minutes ago, Observer said:

It is worth noting that on its classic ships no one is forced to dress formal on formal nights.  There is always at least one casual option (Grill) and one informal option (La Terrazza).

Hi observer .. yes we know that you can dress causal in several restaurants on silversea ... But hay oh it's been so long now what's so  bad about wanting to dress for dinner ... Never never old school gourmet gal.. just fine dining ...👔😉

On 5/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, Lvshack said:

Hi observer .. yes we know that you can dress causal in several restaurants on silversea ... But hay oh it's been so long now what's so  bad about wanting to dress for dinner ... Never never old school gourmet gal.. just fine dining ...👔😉

Thanks for that but honestly, the food tastes the same no matter what you’re wearing. I’ve dined at many a Michelin 3* and never had to wear formal attire and never felt under-dressed.