What to change in the "new" Azamara?

oddjob16

Just some food for thoughts and maybe some advice for Azamara management as we move forward to the new normality. What kind of changes would be OK to have in the future? This doesn't necessarily have to be big changes, but small touches here and there. Speaking for myself I can name a couple, but they are probably insignificant for others.

1.  Upgrades - I think it should be possible to get upgrades but I don't think the present way of selecting eligibility works well. I would definately give some more priority to loyalty levels, but also a bidding system. How can we improve the present system?

2. Promotions- Can we please have some more reliability regarding promotions. What is the point of increasing the price with 25% and then put out a BOGOHO?  I admit there are good deals to be had, but they are difficult to find.

This was a couple of excamples. Please elaborate and give your opinion. Be serious. We only want to improve the product.

• Like 4

Good thread Odd

I like your suggestions.

In addition I would like to see consistency in cancellation policies globally and pricing that is fairer to early bookers.  I would suggest to help the cruiseline they adopt a booking fee based on a % of the cost of the cruise rather than a flat rate and that % increases the nearer sail date, say in six month bands. Some hotel chains use that model. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 4

Yes once released from the framework of RCG they are free to make changes that will be more logical to the consumer.

I agree with the suggestions made but am hopeful that during the current pandemic they will take a more compassionate and considerate approach to cancellations and changes.

• Like 2

I agree. They really need to sort out this upgrade system to reward those repeat guests who have earned it and move away from the short term money spinner idea that Azamara (Royal Caribbean?) came up with. 

And quit the special promotions that aren't. 

Those would be at the top of my list. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 10

Agree with points already identified, namely;

1.  Conditions for bookings to be uniformed across all markets to include deposit amounts, cancellation fees (including deposits) and final payment dates.

2.  Upgrades, reward loyalty  but consideration also given to those who paid above the “average selling price” per cabin grade.  

3.  Promotions to be the same across all markets and of a genuine nature

In addition:

4.  Review the current sales distribution of TA’s who must sign up to meet Azamara’s customer ethos of “treating customers fairly”  throughout the booking process.

Regards 

• Like 3

We have only 1 cruise on Azamara  our limited experience 

1.  Improve the shore excursion process.  

We booked 3 excursions pre cruise Two days before sailing we were notified 1 was cancelled & to visit the shore excursion desk to book another.   We arrived in our cabin  & had a notice that another excursion was also cancelled.  We looked through the options before getting on the ship and immediately headed to the shore excursion desk to rebook- about 10 people in line.  While talking with a couple behind us we found out that our back up choice was cancelled.  Her words “ This happens all the time on Azamara “

2.  Take a look at the loyalty benefits

3.  Upgrade quality of the included beverages.  They are not consistent with being a luxury cruise line.  To get a glass of wine that retails for <$5 a bottle I have to pay by the glass or upgrade at a  cost$21.95 per day

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have only 1 cruise on Azamara  our limited experience 

1.  Improve the shore excursion process.  

We booked 3 excursions pre cruise Two days before sailing we were notified 1 was cancelled & to visit the shore excursion desk to book another.   We arrived in our cabin  & had a notice that another excursion was also cancelled.  We looked through the options before getting on the ship and immediately headed to the shore excursion desk to rebook- about 10 people in line.  While talking with a couple behind us we found out that our back up choice was cancelled.  Her words “ This happens all the time on Azamara “

2.  Take a look at the loyalty benefits

3.  Upgrade quality of the included beverages.  They are not consistent with being a luxury cruise line.  To get a glass of wine that retails for <$5 a bottle I have to pay by the glass or upgrade at a  cost$21.95 per day

Totally agree with all of the above.  We found the included wines and spirits not that great and upgraded our beverage package.  It can’t cost that much more to include a decent selection of wines.  

Edited by Skicruiser55
  • Like 5

My only comment on the included beverages package mentions would be that Azamara are not a luxury cruiseline, but premium so I would not expect very high quality drinks. However, there are some shortcomings and odd omissions that could do with attention. Like you will always have to pay extra for brandy and the whisky choice isn't great. Otherwise I'm honestly fine with the standard and the upgrades are not expensive. Not on my list of wants. 

Phil 

• Like 1

As someone who mainly drinks wine at meals, with a wife who never drinks alcohol, I never get much value out of drinks packages even with a loyalty discount on the price.  What I would like is a loyalty discount on wine by the bottle (not tied to a drinks package).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Totally agree with all of the above.  We found the included wines and spirits not that great and upgraded our beverage package.  It can’t cost that much more to include a decent selection of wines.  

I agree, quality of the included wine is not great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

My only comment on the included beverages package mentions would be that Azamara are not a luxury cruiseline, but premium so I would not expect very high quality drinks. However, there are some shortcomings and odd omissions that could do with attention. Like you will always have to pay extra for brandy and the whisky choice isn't great. Otherwise I'm honestly fine with the standard and the upgrades are not expensive. Not on my list of wants. 

Phil 

Phil, I agree with you they are a premium line.  However they advise that they are a “small luxury cruise line” which sets  at least in my mind, higher expectations.

• Like 2

I agree with all of the above with the addition of my 1 request--bigger showers on new Azamara ship.

Beyond that some new itinerary suggestions:

R/t Montreal to include PEI, NS and NF

Baltic cruise w. Oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm and Coepnhagen

Key West, Belize cruise

While wines could improve, bigger showers is a higher priority for me.

• Like 3

I’d like to see a return to the original itineraries around the Indonesian islands without the need to start or finish in Australia, we had some lovely trips around this area on Az which started in Singapore and was either round trip or finished in India via Sri Lanka. 

An intensive Hawaii Islands would also be nice without the long trip from Los Angeles.  

Edited by Azamarajunkie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think the Jones Act would preclude that one. A pity. 

Phil 

Somehow NCL has that market and it begins and  ends there.seven day cruise. Not sure how but been doing for years. So there is a loophole.

9 minutes ago, ellbon said:

I like to go back to Olso. Seems AZ skips it ..even on their Norway cruise.

They are due to disembark in Oslo and embark the next on our Norway cruise this year and to call in  two others on their schedules as currently published  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, uktog said:

They are due there on our Norway cruise this year and two others. 

Do you think we are sailing this summer anywhere ?

I am afraid to even look at tours.been several times to Norway but only three times to Olso.

8 minutes ago, ellbon said:

Do you think we are sailing this summer anywhere ?

I am afraid to even look at tours.been several times to Norway but only three times to Olso.

I think Europeans may have some limited options but from the USA you need to complete quarantine so much less likely.  No one can travel here yet beyond a few miles so who knows. 

Edited by uktog

The bathrooms on the R Class ships are small but there is no way that they can be enlarged, however when it comes to refurnishing the new ship perhaps they could consider replacing the shower curtain with glass doors.  Oceania have done this successfully when they upgraded their R Class ships.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I think Europeans may have some limited options but from the USA you need to complete quarantine so much less likely.  No one can travel here yet beyond a few miles so who knows. 

As bad as ststes is we seem to be ahead on vaccines compared to other countries. As the crew needs theirs fir anyone to sail.

at this point Give a beach, water and a room..come back two weeks later and bring vodka.  I just do not see anyone sailing before Oct.

6 minutes ago, ellbon said:

at this point Give a beach, water and a room..come back two weeks later and bring vodka.  I just do not see anyone sailing before Oct.

As that would involve international travel no chance here. Actually we cannot legally drive to the beach 10 miles away.   

The WHO don’t put the USA that far up the vaccination rates table but positions can change