Regent unreliable and lying

After many cruises, mostly Cunard, I have been tempted by a Regent itinerary. When trying to call them last week, I kept getting connected to a separate TA.

My TA was down for a few days with Covid so I did finally reach Regent, I was able to make a booking. Then, end of last week, tried to transfer to TA before

promotion ended. Transfer resulted in excessive charges and more than double a deposit.  When TA called them, they said YUP it happens every time. 

Have not been able to get a refund in spite of TA call and my call, both of which were assured it would be submitted for review and then a refund sent, after at least 5 days.  But neither of those submissions was made.  And TA discovered that agents with Regent do not keep a record of their calls so no one had this written down.

I am still hoping to continue with Regent but have lost all respect for their business. Wanted others to know of their shoddy practices. Do not trust them to do what they say. 

• Thanks 1

Calls into the Regent call center ARE recorded.

No idea about the rest of your post. In booking over $6million with them I have never experienced a "shady" practice...but I have seen a lot of "shady" travel agents.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, caroltovt said:

I have been tempted by a Regent itinerary. When trying to call them last week, I kept getting connected to a separate TA.......

I am not sure I completely understand what you have written. You called Regent and they transferred the call to a 3rd party, independent, travel agent? I have never heard of Regent doing this and I am sure that other Travel Agents would be P/O to learn of this practice.  Are you sure you were not calling some online booking agent masquerading as Regent? 

Also, if they charged you over the phone  for more that you agreed, dispute the amount with your credit card company. They should reverse the charge immediately.

J

The higher amount was charged because Regent considered the booking transfer to TA meant it was a new booking, not eligible for the promotion. If I dispute with credit card company, Regent would cancel the booking and charge me more for new reservation. I have done this with Cunard (the transfer) with no problem. I think it's telling that they told TA "this happens all the time." 

My TA keeps a written record of all calls. While Regent may record calls, that may be for internal purposes and would not help me or TA prove what had been previously transacted. At least now we know not to trust them. 

In January I booked three Regent cruises directly with a Regent rep.  They were then all transferred to my TA.  There were no extra charges or changes in the booking. The transfer was completed within a day.  I can only speak to my experiences. Good luck with your situation.

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, I looked online at the Regent (in name only) websites. There is one that is entitled "Regent Cruises". It is NOT the official Regent website. There may be others that offer a similar name, but are not, in fact, Regent. Could this be what happened? 

We done a lot of Regent cruises and have never had any problem whatsoever. First off, you must have faith with your personal TA, have booked with them before so you know what you're getting into and know all of the caveats before getting out the credit card, be it in person, on the phone, or via the internet.

I do hope you troubles get sorted out, as Regent is a lovely and RELIABLE product.

• Like 4

I have a feeling you did not book directly with Regent cruises, but with an agency with a similar name.  I think the fault lays with you and this other agency. 

• Like 7

I think this headline may be harsh and unfair. The traveler may be in error about the site used and the accusations against Regent may be incorrect. It's unfortunate that there is an issue, but don't blame Regent until all the facts are known. Many of us here routinely make bookings with Regent and then switch to a TA with no problem. Good luck in sorting it out and have a great cruise.

The booking was direct with Regent, whether you believe me or not. My TA is one I have used many, many times and one whom I trust. I would pay a larger deposit except that they sent me paperwork with the lower deposit and I fear it represents a higher total on what was already an expensive cruise. Only hope that they soon make a refund.  (Don't appreciate their holding my money when the error was theirs.) I know what happened to me. Glad to hear it didn't happen to others. 

In this time of cancelled cruises, we hear of a mix of positive and negative experiences with many companies. Luckily, people want to cruise badly enough to most often put up with problems.

Perhaps you should speak with your TA, at great length, so that you both can understand what happened.

Regent DOES record your calls and logs who your Regent rep was when you called. Your agent should know this. If your agent says this is not true, perhaps your agent is covering something up.

I have dealt with Regent for many years and a lot of money. I have never found a rep to be dishonest or misleading. I cannot say the same for a VERY large number of travel agents...many of whom I suspect moonlight for extended warranty companies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We've never had a problem with Regent, I've booked a cruise because my TA was out (weekend) and told the Regent agent I'd be transferring to my TA.  They took down all the information regarding my TA for the record--everything was great---TA got credit for the booking, all good. 

I always book directly with Regent. Within a few days, I transfer my reservation to my TA. I have never heard anyone complain about this process. My deposits, nor anything else in my reservation changes. 
Something definitely went wrong with your booking. I haven’t the foggiest idea what could have happened. You or your TA did something wrong. 
sheila

• Like 1

12 hours ago, caroltovt said:

The higher amount was charged because Regent considered the booking transfer to TA meant it was a new booking, not eligible for the promotion. If I dispute with credit card company, Regent would cancel the booking and charge me more for new reservation. I have done this with Cunard (the transfer) with no problem. I think it's telling that they told TA "this happens all the time." 

My TA keeps a written record of all calls. While Regent may record calls, that may be for internal purposes and would not help me or TA prove what had been previously transacted. At least now we know not to trust them. 

A recording of a call can be proof of what transpired.  A written record of calls such as your TA has means nothing.   Just because someone writes something down, does not mean it occurred.  Perhaps your TA handled it incorrectly resulting in being viewed as a new booking.

Apparently BOTH TA and Regent were wrong. Regent sent an invoice for the higher fees and deposit and TA paid it without checking the invoice I had sent him. (invoice from Regent which had lower $$)

Thanks to all for helping me think this through. Hoping for a refund before too long. 

Sounds like your TA made a new booking with Regent for you at the 15% deposit rate (you made it with Regent when there was a special for 7.5%). I would ask to see the invoice Regent sent to your TA - check for a different booking number than the one you made.

Note: Regent did NOT just make up an invoice with higher numbers. Either you didn't pay your original HOLD booking before the 7.5% special expired or your TA made a new booking at the 15% deposit rate. 

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 2

The Regent mistake was not corrected promptly, has still not been corrected on credit card. Trust will increase when the refund is processed. 

Phone call to transfer to TA was made 4 days before the end of the promotion, no higher charges or new booking justified. (Same booking number, same stateroom number on all bookings.)

1 hour ago, caroltovt said:

The Regent mistake was not corrected promptly, has still not been corrected on credit card. Trust will increase when the refund is processed. 

Phone call to transfer to TA was made 4 days before the end of the promotion, no higher charges or new booking justified. (Same booking number, same stateroom number on all bookings.)

Sorry you are having to deal with this. It appears that the ball was dropped by someone other than you and you are having to deal with the fallout.  Neither your TA or Regent agents are perfect so mistakes can happen. Hope you get your refund very soon. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Thank you for your kind words. Perhaps if it were not my first cruise with Regent (and one I am so looking forward to), I  would have reacted differently. 

Over on the Cunard board there were all sorts of confused people as Cunard had sent a FCC email to everyone on their mailing list....even people who don't have FCC or even a Cunard cruise scheduled!!

I attributed it to "Coviditis:.....we all have it!!! Chalk that one up to coviditis somewhere along the line in your reservation process.....

As "1982" said,  hope you get your refund soon and all the wrinkles shake out!

• Like 1

Mudhen,. 

Thanks. I received the Cunard email (they later admitted it was a mistake) but knew

by checking my account that it did not apply to me. Guessed it was for those who were

recently cancelled.  

May we all return to cruising sooner rather than later. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, Pcardad said:

Calls into the Regent call center ARE recorded.

No idea about the rest of your post. In booking over $6million with them I have never experienced a "shady" practice...but I have seen a lot of "shady" travel agents.

Your point is well taken.  However as a guest that has both dealt with RSSC directly and had his reservation transferred to an agent the op-ed had a point. Just like in every business, there are great, good and not so good associates.  I have had some not so good RSSC associates.  Please remember, a TA has a different group of folks they talk with.

On the notion of recorded calls, they have to tell you that at the beginning of the call.  There have been more then on instance when that was not the case.

On moving the reservation to an agent, on that point I have never had the issue the op-ed has had.  As long as the correct document is sent in, in a timely basis.

Finally, my last RSSC associate was very bad.  He made me feel I was a second class citizen.  The trip I was taking was in excess of $25,000.00.  I refuse to book through through RSSC directly ever again.  I wish that call was recorded.  Just my two cents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1