New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Which is good first thing in the morning until guests start to chase the sun. If they aren’t bolted down they will be moved within hours of sunrise. 

And I'm quite sure staff will pay even less attention to it than they do the chair hogs. Besides, are they going to go around annoying people all day by asking those sitting too closely if the are traveling together?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Which is good first thing in the morning until guests start to chase the sun. If they aren’t bolted down they will be moved within hours of sunrise. 

A lot of us chase the shade.  Much healthier.  

We get our second shot on Friday and two weeks from that we're headed to my parents to hug them.  In May, we're heading to the beach for the third time in a year.  This time without really worrying about whether we're inside or out or to close to others.  We're scheduled for a b2b on HOTS in late Nov and then 5 days at WDW after.  If the ship doesn't sail, (but I expect it will), we'll just spend three weeks in FL.   

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Then all that will be required is airlines scheduling flights from all over the United States for people, many of whom don’t have passports, to travel to small airports without the infrastructure to manage the hordes of supposedly vaccinated people who just cannot wait to cruise.   Hahahahaha.... and I’m barely scratching the surface of why this won’t happen.

In my CC news email today, Crystal cruises is sailing from Bahamas in July. They see a void, and they are ready to fill it. England is going to do it, Israel, Italy was and it is already happening in Singapore.  

It will be fluid but if lines can’t sail from the US, they will be looking for alternatives and they won’t be looking for just Americans to fill the ship. That has already been shown with the sailing from Singapore.  Any paying guest is better than ship floating empty in the Caribbean, to which the CDC says can’t sail. If bankruptcy is the alternative they will be looking for customers wherever they can get them. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5946/

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Any paying guest is better than ship floating empty in the Caribbean, to which the CDC says can’t sail. If bankruptcy is the alternative they will be looking for customers wherever they can get them. 

Fiddlesticks!  Cruise lines with ships having a capacity of 2,000 to 5,000 passengers need to fill ‘em up and not circle lazily around the Caribbean (or anywhere else) for an extended period of time to remain in business.  If Americans can’t get the cruise experience they expect for their money without having to fly all over the place they’ll go elsewhere; there are a gazillion options other than cruising.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Fiddlesticks!  Cruise lines with ships having a capacity of 2,000 to 5,000 passengers need to fill ‘em up and not circle lazily around the Caribbean (or anywhere else) for an extended period of time to remain in business.  If Americans can’t get the cruise experience they expect for their money without having to fly all over the place they’ll go elsewhere; there are a gazillion options other than cruising.

I will agree that convenience is a big factor. That includes flight options as well as transfers from airport to cruise port. That is why Ft. Lauderdale is my first choice to hop on a cruise.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

So you agree with me.😉 If the ships can’t sail from the US, the ships will go to where they can get paying customers.  With or without US guests.  As for Americans on vacation, they are already flying to Mexico and other Caribbean Islands for their getaway experiences without being on a cruise ship.  

It’s the CDC currently preventing ships from sailing from the US and ships will go where the can get paying customers. Not all cruisers are Americans after-all and for the foreseeable future they won’t be if the CDC has its way, especially from NA departure ports for the time being.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I will agree that convenience is a big factor. That includes flight options as well as transfers from airport to cruise port. That is why Ft. Lauderdale is my first choice to hop on a cruise.

Yes, convenience is key. I don’t see many Floridians flying to Nassau to cruise the Caribbean.  

This Canadian would fly to Nassau to cruise, if I couldn’t depart from Florida. I’m used to flying to any cruise, but Sandals is just as appealing compared to jumping through extra CDC hoops to be on a ship.  I personally still like PE over MIA, with PC a distant third. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

So you agree with me.😉 If the ships can’t sail from the US, the ships will go to where they can get paying customers.  With or without US guests.  As for Americans on vacation, they are already flying to Mexico and other Caribbean Islands for their getaway experiences without being on a cruise ship.  

It’s the CDC currently preventing ships from sailing from the US and ships will go where the can get paying customers. Not all cruisers are Americans after-all and for the foreseeable future they won’t be if the CDC has its way, especially from NA departure ports for the time being.

If the ships can’t sail from the US, there will not be a cruising industry of nearly the same size as we had pre-COVID.  Some ships can be relocated and eventually thrive.  Godzilla of the Seas.... forget about it.

Restrictions on cruising will be lifted later this year, in my opinion.  Pretty much as the CDC said thing would shake out last year with the expiry of the CSO.  Until then, nobody is really going much of anywhere, especially those with families.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yes, convenience is key. I don’t see many Floridians flying to Nassau to cruise the Caribbean.  

This Canadian would fly to Nassau to cruise, if I couldn’t depart from Florida. I’m used to flying to any cruise, but Sandals is just as appealing compared to jumping through extra CDC hoops to be on a ship.  I personally still like PE over MIA, with PC a distant third. 

This Canadian wouldn’t even contemplate flying to Nassau to cruise.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

This Canadian wouldn’t even contemplate flying to Nassau to cruise.  

You could just drive down to the Chatham Banna-belt to warm up in January. I’ve experienced the weather in Ottawa from November to March. Chatham would look rather appealing temperature wise.

Joking aside; if you could not cruise out of FL ever again would you only do land based vacations in the Caribbean or would to fly to an island to cruise out of. San Juan being exempt, but RC ships are an option. 

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I would fly to Nassau to vacation in the Bahamas but not to get on a cruise. To get to Nassau from RI I would have to fly to somewhere else to get to Nassau. And I would have to fly from Nassau to somewhere else to get home. 

I would sail out of Puerto Rico more but even that is less convenient that Port Everglades. PE and 8 night itineraries are my sweet spot for now anyway.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I don’t think Nassau could handle embarkation and supply/stock a ship for a cruise. 

M8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would sail out of Puerto Rico more but even that is less convenient that Port Everglades. PE and 8 night itineraries are my sweet spot for now anyway.

I was so looking forward to Freedom out of San Juan this past January, but that didn’t pan out. 

I guess Crystal Cruises will be testing the waters and we will see how it goes. 

• Like 1

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t think Nassau could handle embarkation and supply/stock a ship for a cruise. 

M8

I certainly don't think they could with the present port infrastructure. There is a big difference between having 5 ships making a day stop and having even just one ship home ported there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Me neither but Crystal is giving it a go.

It’s a long pier to walk on a normal day and the logistics alone would be interesting.  I guess the Nassau web camera will have some CCers watching in July when she is sailing from there. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was so looking forward to Freedom out of San Juan this past January, but that didn’t pan out. 

I guess Crystal Cruises will be testing the waters and we will see how it goes. 

Yes, Freedom is an awesome ship and the southern Caribbean is equally awesome. I have done several sailings on Serenade and Adventure out of San Juan.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would fly to Nassau to vacation in the Bahamas but not to get on a cruise. To get to Nassau from RI I would have to fly to somewhere else to get to Nassau. And I would have to fly from Nassau to somewhere else to get home. 

Several years back, okay 2009, my DH's company took all employees and a guest on their annual trip, that year to Nassau to stay at the Atlantis.  We added a couple of extra nights so we were there 5 nights. Anyway, the co. had to charter to get everyone down there.  Some got there on commercial flights but most of us went on the charter - Miami Air.  We flew direct from Dulles to Nassau,  2 hours flight time as they took a direct flight path.  Normally to go to Nassau, we'd have to fly to FL and change planes meaning probably about 4-5 hours including time between flights.  At that time there were no direct flights from Dulles and only like 1 from Reagan National in the timeframe we went (Oct).  And part of the year there might be two direct flights from Reagan National, but they take longer than the 2 hours we took due to flight paths the commercial airlines have to follow.  We had some really cool trips over about a 10 year period, Nashville-Grand Old Opry 75th anniversary, Las Vegas, San Diego, Atlanta, Orlando, NYC and they did Hawaii the year before my DH started and only Nassau had chartered planes.  Sadly, the trips ended in 2011 - last one to Orlando.  Anyway, point is, Nassau isn't the easiest location for anyone to get to unless you live in FL.  There's probably a few random direct flights from elsewhere.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

***Shakes head***

People fly into Florida to get on a cruise ship. Many have flown to Mexico this past year to avoid the US lockdowns. I think you are severely under estimating the power of the American cruiser's $$$$ and their willingness to go cruising. 

• Like 5

I can't get on a cruise, so I am going to Belize on my own, and spend my time on a yacht.  Total cost comparable to a cruise.  I sure do miss this past year with no vacations, so I'm going on one, regardless of what CDC says.

I'm not worried about airborne virus.  It can't be any worse than grocery shopping, Dr's visits, and whatnot up here.  Almost no one wears their mask right, and food service folks are constantly adjusting their masks wearing their sanitary gloves, and then handling my food with the same gloves.  

I'll take care of my own safety with N95 masks, hand washing, sanitizer, and large sunglasses to shield my eyes from airborn dropplets.  

After all, the primary person responsible for my health is myself, not some government bureaucrat (CDC), and definitely not the clueless folks wearing masks under their noses.  

I take care of my health, and part of being healthy is taking a vacation, so here I go.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

You could just drive down to the Chatham Banna-belt to warm up in January. I’ve experienced the weather in Ottawa from November to March. Chatham would look rather appealing temperature wise.

Joking aside; if you could not cruise out of FL ever again would you only do land based vacations in the Caribbean or would to fly to an island to cruise out of. San Juan being exempt, but RC ships are an option. 

I used to work in Sarnia.  Can’t say that I found the winters in SW Ontario to be particularly pleasant, spring does come along much earlier and the golf courses are open way before anything in Ottawa.

We only go to the Caribbean for warmth and sunshine in the winter (our last cruise was with Celebrity out of San Juan in January, 2020).  I would never again go on a land-based vacation to the Caribbean; done it a couple of times and that’s enough.  If I could get to a port with minimal fuss I’d definitely consider it but honestly, I just don’t believe that will happen.

Edited by d9704011

1 hour ago, BND said:

We get our second shot on Friday and two weeks from that we're headed to my parents to hug them.  

And tomorrow I'm picking my grandson up after school and he is spending the night - something he hasn't done in over a year.  I'm very happy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

***Shakes head***

People fly into Florida to get on a cruise ship. Many have flown to Mexico this past year to avoid the US lockdowns. I think you are severely under estimating the power of the American cruiser's $$$$ and their willingness to go cruising. 

Shake harder!!

6 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

***Shakes head***

To me, as mentioned, is the embarkation process and restocking the ship between cruises. That’s a mass operation to pull off.