New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

16 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

***Shakes head***

People fly into Florida to get on a cruise ship. Many have flown to Mexico this past year to avoid the US lockdowns. I think you are severely under estimating the power of the American cruiser's $$$$ and their willingness to go cruising. 

Yes, but vacationing in Mexico is nothing new for Americans. I don't know that flying to Mexico to cruise would be a welcome change for many. I do understand that my perspective may be a bit spoiled. Non-stop flight to FLL and non-stop flight home, 2.5 hours each way. I'm sure that people with much longer, or more complicated, flights might have different opinions just as folks living in Florida probably view having to take any flight as a hassle to cruise.

I would not be excited about flying to Mexico to do a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gmerick said:

I can't get on a cruise, so I am going to Belize on my own, and spend my time on a yacht.  Total cost comparable to a cruise.  I sure do miss this past year with no vacations, so I'm going on one, regardless of what CDC says.

I'm not worried about airborne virus.  It can't be any worse than grocery shopping, Dr's visits, and whatnot up here.  Almost no one wears their mask right, and food service folks are constantly adjusting their masks wearing their sanitary gloves, and then handling my food with the same gloves.  

I'll take care of my own safety with N95 masks, hand washing, sanitizer, and large sunglasses to shield my eyes from airborn dropplets.  

After all, the primary person responsible for my health is myself, not some government bureaucrat (CDC), and definitely not the clueless folks wearing masks under their noses.  

I take care of my health, and part of being healthy is taking a vacation, so here I go.

I would live to read about your experience. When are you going?

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yes, but vacationing in Mexico is nothing new for Americans. I don't know that flying to Mexico to cruise would be a welcome change for many. I do understand that my perspective may be a bit spoiled. Non-stop flight to FLL and non-stop flight home, 2.5 hours each way. I'm sure that people with much longer, or more complicated, flights might have different opinions just as folks living in Florida probably view having to take any flight as a hassle to cruise.

I would not be excited about flying to Mexico to do a Caribbean cruise.

This is true. People do vacation in Mexico. But there was alot of people that flocked to Mexico that otherwise wouldn't. The samne w/ NY'ers flocking to Florida. And people fly into San Juan for everyone of those cruises. So ... yes, it could indeed happen. RCL would have to select the right port. And BTW, I'm not saying as a permanent solution at all. But for start up, to get a ship moving in the Caribbean, it could happen. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was so looking forward to Freedom out of San Juan this past January, but that didn’t pan out. 

I encourage you to rebook that itinerary Andrew, we did b2b in 2019 - amazing ports ❤️ 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Yes, Freedom is an awesome ship and the southern Caribbean is equally awesome. I have done several sailings on Serenade and Adventure out of San Juan.

I loved Freedom too 

2 hours ago, mek said:

And tomorrow I'm picking my grandson up after school and he is spending the night - something he hasn't done in over a year.  I'm very happy.

this is so great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

If CDC doesn’t move with haste, cruises from Mexico will begin soon. Only a few ships would be needed for short term demand but fleet could easily be augmented worldwide for long term demand if US remains uncooperative. Not ideal for Americans, but if there are no other cruise options. 🤷‍♂️

Aren't there already cruises from Barbados with RC scheduled for the end of this year, on Grandeur

Both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic fly direct non stop from the UK, and probably charters too. Its actually just as convenient for Brits to travel to BGI as MIA for a cruise 

7 hours ago, Heymarco said:

If CDC doesn’t move with haste, cruises from Mexico will begin soon. Only a few ships would be needed for short term demand but fleet could easily be augmented worldwide for long term demand if US remains uncooperative. Not ideal for Americans, but if there are no other cruise options. 🤷‍♂️

They will follow the money.

• Like 2

With the exception of 2 drive up cruises out of NJ, the majority of cruises we take require flying. Most of the time we tack on 3 or 4 extra days for pre- or post- cruise extended stay. 

Basically, whether we  fly to Florida, San Juan, Galvenston, Cozumel or Barbados is of little consequence.  In fact, the more exotic the better. 

13 hours ago, gmerick said:

I can't get on a cruise, so I am going to Belize on my own, and spend my time on a yacht.  Total cost comparable to a cruise.  I sure do miss this past year with no vacations, so I'm going on one, regardless of what CDC says.

I'm not worried about airborne virus.  It can't be any worse than grocery shopping, Dr's visits, and whatnot up here.  Almost no one wears their mask right, and food service folks are constantly adjusting their masks wearing their sanitary gloves, and then handling my food with the same gloves.  

I'll take care of my own safety with N95 masks, hand washing, sanitizer, and large sunglasses to shield my eyes from airborn dropplets.  

After all, the primary person responsible for my health is myself, not some government bureaucrat (CDC), and definitely not the clueless folks wearing masks under their noses.  

I take care of my health, and part of being healthy is taking a vacation, so here I go.

good for you.  We are also looking at belize when September cruise gets cancelled.   It will be trip #3 outside the US and 8th overall since this started one year ago.  Both vaccinated and neither my husband and I ever tested positive for covid.  We have tested after every trip and I guess it just doesn't want to mess with us. 🙂

Edited by jean87510

We last cruised in September/October 2017. Our last experience on Royal wasn’t what we paid for or expected. There are other vacations and get aways. 

We spent two weeks in Israel. What a awesome trip. A short vacation at Barnsley Gardens in GA. We did NYC the week before Christmas in 2018 and 2019. We had a bucket list River Cruise that was cancelled (Covid). We did a few group motorcycle overnights up to Barber Motorsports and the Dragon. We had a 10 day motorcycle excursion booked down the Baja with our Dealership that was cancelled (Covid). 

So, there are plenty of things to do outside of Cruising. We only decided to come back because it appeared Royal was making an attempt to remedy the issues we had on our last cruise. 

M8

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We last cruised in September/October 2017. Our last experience on Royal wasn’t what we paid for or expected. There are other vacations and get aways. 

We spent two weeks in Israel. What a awesome trip. A short vacation at Barnsley Gardens in GA. We did NYC the week before Christmas in 2018 and 2019. We had a bucket list River Cruise that was cancelled (Covid). We did a few group motorcycle overnights up to Barber Motorsports and the Dragon. We had a 10 day motorcycle excursion booked down the Baja with our Dealership that was cancelled (Covid). 

So, there are plenty of things to do outside of Cruising. We only decided to come back because it appeared Royal was making an attempt to remedy the issues we had on our last cruise. 

M8

Too bad your last  cruise with Royal was not what you expected. Care to elaborate what your issues were? If not, no worries.

15 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

This is true. People do vacation in Mexico. But there was alot of people that flocked to Mexico that otherwise wouldn't. The samne w/ NY'ers flocking to Florida. And people fly into San Juan for everyone of those cruises. So ... yes, it could indeed happen. RCL would have to select the right port. And BTW, I'm not saying as a permanent solution at all. But for start up, to get a ship moving in the Caribbean, it could happen. 

No question we'd fly to Mexico to get on a cruise. We've had 2 European cruises and we can fly to Mexico faster than Florida in some cases. No question at all. Mexico has done outstandingly well during the pandemic. We had a great vacation there last August, no tests, no vaccines, nothing. And never got sick.

I'd love to see Royal or any other line say "to h*** with the CDC" and start cruising from Cozumel. You can bet the lazy politicians in DC will see $$$ flying out the door and then "suddenly" the CDC will be gung-ho about cruising. 

• Like 8

On 3/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, shipgeeks said:

My shingles vaccine and aftermath was just mildly uncomfortable.  No reason to dread it just because someone else had a negative experience.

Our Phizer shots were totally painless, and no side effects.

I have read many people say it can hurt a lot. M8 is definitely not the only one. I hate needles and don’t care for pain, but I will still get the shot. Those things won’t stop me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, coffeebean said:

Just thinking about how a 3' distancing will impact us. Seating in movie theaters, sports arenas, concerts and any venue that seats large amounts of people will not be able to utilize all the seating. With a 3' distancing, every other seat will probably need to be blocked off. On a cruise ship, the loungers at the pool will be able to be placed with enough room to walk between the loungers. 

I don't give a fiddlers f about distancing.   Get the shot and move on.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I have read many people say it can hurt a lot. M8 is definitely not the only one. I hate needles and don’t care for pain, but I will still get the shot. Those things won’t stop me.

My first shot felt more like a Tetanus shot afterwards.  Very tender and sore!  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

For the both shots the Pfizer vaccine there was NO pain when injected. Some soreness that evening and the next day.  

Nothing more than bit of soreness after each and a little tired the day after the second injection.

I am 75 if that means anything.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

It is so amazing that so many are willing to fly to Mexico and board there when we know it is not even safe to drink the water there!  You cannot trust the police and the cartels run much of the country.   Why are you willing to risk your health or life on Mexico’s rules!  

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

It is so amazing that so many are willing to fly to Mexico and board there when we know it is not even safe to drink the water there!  You cannot trust the police and the cartels run much of the country.   Why are you willing to risk your health or life on Mexico’s rules!  

Why aren't you calling out the people who vacation there or book western Caribbean cruises?

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, DCGuy64 said:

No question we'd fly to Mexico to get on a cruise. We've had 2 European cruises and we can fly to Mexico faster than Florida in some cases. No question at all. Mexico has done outstandingly well during the pandemic. We had a great vacation there last August, no tests, no vaccines, nothing. And never got sick.

I'd love to see Royal or any other line say "to h*** with the CDC" and start cruising from Cozumel. You can bet the lazy politicians in DC will see $$$ flying out the door and then "suddenly" the CDC will be gung-ho about cruising. 

Guess again. How many cruises/passengers can they siphon through Cozumel? What happens if the CDC/politicians tell the lines to move all of there business out of the U.S? Businesses shutdown all the time and we manage to survive and move on. In the scheme of things, the cruising industry, as a whole, affects a very small piece of the economy, probably about as much as the people who die from Covid. Call it collateral damage. 

31 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

Do you drink the water from the tap or unfiltered water in the US or do you drink filtered water?  There are plenty of places you can purchase bottled water in Cozumel.  Also, Cozumel is an ISLAND off of Mexico if that makes a difference with the cartels.

Edited by jean87510

37 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

So you never go on cruises that stop in Mexico?