New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

8 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I don't understand how anyone could not be vaccinated and still feel safe from Covid. It just boggles my mind that you are not concerned for your safety. Are you also not concerned for the safety of your loved ones? Do you realize you can contract Covid, be asymptomatic and transmit that disease to a loved one?

I'm baffled at your disregard of all those people who have died with Covid. I'm not saying they died of Covid but with Covid which hastened their deaths. Many people live many many years of active life styles with Diabetes as an example but they have died with Covid much sooner than they would have died without Covid.

Oh brother, time to turn off the TV. 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I share the same concern.  It will be interesting to see how they handle these situations, once US cruises resume.  Our cruise isn’t until February, so DH and I have some time to see how it all plays out.  We have cancel for any reason insurance, and will likely cancel if the cruises are dropping ports or cutting the cruise short due to a couple of covid cases onboard.

I agree. I hope U.S. cruising starts up fairly soon so I can get a handle on the things you mentioned before I have any final payments come due.

One thing I will say is that I'll have little interest in compromise. If the cruise experience is going to be stressful, or key elements that I enjoy will be missing, then I won't be going.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I wouldnt say we are so open down here, only that each place can make rules. For instance tom thumb grocery said they will quit policing... a few days later they "had been convinced to walk it back and masks still required". 

Today a older lady walked into a bank in Galveston or maybe it was yesterday. Wasnt wearing a mask. Police called. She yelled about elderly abuse and everything else but got arrested. Even got her on resisting arrest. .. I think she thought she was free to go maskless lololol. I watched the take down. Hilarious. We are a long way from open to me until I can grocery shop without wearing a mask.

Local areas politics can be different and/or rules or laws also. Where does public safety and tyranny come into play. Galveston is a cruise port as you know. One other thing. Cruise lines are adding more surveillance cameras on their ships as part of their changes. I will tell you. Surveillance is abused and with social media we see people destroyed by other people for any reason. 

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But as you have said in previous threads - and you would know better than most of us here - Canada has vaccinated what about a couple of hundred people in Ontario? Ok maybe a bit more than that but not anything on the scale of Israel, UK, US, Serbia or even Russia have done? So yeah a third wave maybe on the horizon.

Yes and thousands of "essential" workers cross the border every day with no testing, no quarantine.  The truckers travel all over North America, Canadian and US drivers back and forth.  The estimate is 93% of the crossings are truckers, rail workers, taxi drivers etc  

Back to the CDC and cruising, I thought I heard our President state earlier in the week that with the vaccines, those vaccinated “may” be able to hold a “small” family gathering BBQ “outdoors “ for 4th of July.   That to me seems to indicate he wouldn’t support cruising in July with a ship full of people mostly indoors.  I’m sure he has influence on the CDC.  He also said to continue to wear your masks. 

Some States are not in lockdown and some that are coming out of mask and lockdown mandates. I believe I’ve heard this administration indicate that they were looking into Federal mandates to overrule the States. Not sure that’s enforceable but that’s not really the point. If these are the current administrations thoughts, how is the CDC going to allow return to cruising anytime soon?

We both have been vaccinated. 

M8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe I’ve heard this administration indicate that they were looking into Federal mandates to overrule the States.

That'd be unconstitutional. 

But yes, the comments from the president sure show that it may be a long, long time before cruising is allowed to start.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

That'd be unconstitutional. 

But yes, the comments from the president sure show that it may be a long, long time before cruising is allowed to start.

I agree but will leave it at that. Last time I discussed States Rights in didn’t end well for me. 

M8

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Back to the CDC and cruising, I thought I heard our President state earlier in the week that with the vaccines, those vaccinated “may” be able to hold a “small” family gathering BBQ “outdoors “ for 4th of July.   

Hate to tell our Prez, but I've been having small,(6 or less),  gatherings outside since the weather got nice last year and will continue to do so once it get's nice again.  My husband and I are fully vaccinated and plan to start returning to some kind of "normal" as soon as possible.

(And I do obey the rules inside - masks, social distancing, etc. and will continue to avoid large crowds outside at this time). 

Edited by mek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Our family was smart about not celebrating holidays in 2020 in Florida. There will always be another holiday and we will all be alive to celebrate. We are all vaccinated now with the exception of hubby who is getting his second shot the end of this month. Can't wait to celebrate the holidays in 2021 and be safe about it.

So glad your family was safe and everyone is alive.  However, no one knows if there will be another holiday to celebrate.  My father died just before 4th of July in 2010.  My mother died just before Christmas in 2017.  I am so glad I had the previous holidays with them.  All of the family that celebrated the 2020 holidays with me are still alive  and we had a wonderful time together.

• Like 3

We avoided family get togethers for holidays in 2020.  We saw family, but it was either outdoors or just one or two inside with masks, at a distance, and for a short period of time.  I really don't have any regrets doing it that way.

I don't have any idea what I will do this year - the majority of the people in our family will not get the vaccine, so only time will tell how we will deal with them.

I am having 4 adults, who have had covid, and 3 kids under 10 over for an Easter brunch and egg hunt.  Fortunately nice weather is right around the corner, so any parties I have can be held outdoors and I really won't have to make a decision about inside celebrations until Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. I hope U.S. cruising starts up fairly soon so I can get a handle on the things you mentioned before I have any final payments come due.

One thing I will say is that I'll have little interest in compromise. If the cruise experience is going to be stressful, or key elements that I enjoy will be missing, then I won't be going.

I'll compromise. I'd rather cruise than stay home. I live solo so a vacation to a hotel alone doesnt hold appeal. I'll be the front runner. My first rcl cruise is this december. I sure hope cruises are going then. I'm willing to have someone dish up from the buffet. Make salads I point to what I want. I'll try to order from online ...we will see how that goes. Lol. 

Edited by firefly333

57 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'll compromise. I'd rather cruise than stay home. I live solo so a vacation to a hotel alone doesnt hold appeal. I'll be the front runner. My first rcl cruise is this december. I sure hope cruises are going then. I'm willing to have someone dish up from the buffet. Make salads I point to what I want. I'll try to order from online ...we will see how that goes. Lol. 

How much are you willing to compromise is the question? If cruises still aren't on by December I don't even know what to say......or think for that matter. 

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

How much are you willing to compromise is the question? If cruises still aren't on by December I don't even know what to say......or think for that matter. 

Whatever it takes. Easier for me to say as I'm sitting home vaccinated and not working and not too worried about getting covid. If I was working with limited time off my decision would probably be different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Whatever it takes. Easier for me to say as I'm sitting home vaccinated and not working and not too worried about getting covid. If I was working with limited time off my decision would probably be different.

I hear you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I celebrated the holidays with my family, including my now-92 yr old grandmother.

Spending time face to face with family and friends is much more important to them than avoiding covid by painful isolation.

What is even more painful is to know your loved one is hospitalized and struggling for their life on a respirator. Sorry, but I do not agree AT ALL with your way of thinking. We will have to agree to disagree.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mek said:

We avoided family get togethers for holidays in 2020.  We saw family, but it was either outdoors or just one or two inside with masks, at a distance, and for a short period of time.  I really don't have any regrets doing it that way.

I don't have any idea what I will do this year - the majority of the people in our family will not get the vaccine, so only time will tell how we will deal with them.

I am having 4 adults, who have had covid, and 3 kids under 10 over for an Easter brunch and egg hunt.  Fortunately nice weather is right around the corner, so any parties I have can be held outdoors and I really won't have to make a decision about inside celebrations until Thanksgiving.

I am so thankful I will not have to deal with that situation. That is a difficult situation to be in. All my family members are either already vaccinated or will be vaccinated. We are all looking forward to safe holiday celebrations this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My next cruise is November 28th and I hope to be on the ship.  I'm willing to compromise his one time only.  It's on Oasis, so I don't care if I don't get off the ship, I will wear a mask and social distance.  We have a nice balcony and can spend most of out time there if necessary.  I got a rock bottom price in Nov 2019 for this with a NR deposit so I plan on going, but if it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, it will be my last cruise until things return to pre-covid protocols - and if that never happens then so be it.  I will do other things - life will go on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I am so thankful I will not have to deal with that situation. That is a difficult situation to be in. All my family members are either already vaccinated or will be vaccinated. We are all looking forward to safe holiday celebrations this year.

Actually, it will be a good excuse to not have to get together with one particular group. (I'm so bad!). But it's my husband's son's family, so I feel bad for him if if misses out on being with them.  It would just be so much easier if everyone would get the *%#& vaccine, but the reality is it's not going to happen.

6 minutes ago, mek said:

Actually, it will be a good excuse to not have to get together with one particular group. (I'm so bad!). But it's my husband's son's family, so I feel bad for him if if misses out on being with them.  It would just be so much easier if everyone would get the *%#& vaccine, but the reality is it's not going to happen.

I hear ya. I know exactly what you mean.

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Back to the CDC and cruising, I thought I heard our President state earlier in the week that with the vaccines, those vaccinated “may” be able to hold a “small” family gathering BBQ “outdoors “ for 4th of July.   That to me seems to indicate he wouldn’t support cruising in July with a ship full of people mostly indoors.  I’m sure he has influence on the CDC.  He also said to continue to wear your masks. 

Some States are not in lockdown and some that are coming out of mask and lockdown mandates. I believe I’ve heard this administration indicate that they were looking into Federal mandates to overrule the States. Not sure that’s enforceable but that’s not really the point. If these are the current administrations thoughts, how is the CDC going to allow return to cruising anytime soon?

We both have been vaccinated. 

Many have doing what they want this entire time. A small gathering on July 4th is a joke. Those who are vaccinated will do as they wish. Those who have not been will too. Some will follow recommendations and others won’t.  It’s been that way since the start of the pandemic. 

Once the States have reached heard immunity, from vaccinations and positive cases, it will be back to the new normal as quick as possible. Cruises will follow suit.  Further delays will come down to how good the industry can lobby and local  politicians will/can push for it’s return.

If not, I can see the cruise industry move embarkation ports off the US continent and the US will lose any taxable portions that they can access now. The CDC will have no control. That would be an extreme position but if push comes to shove I could see it happening. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Many have doing what they want this entire time. A small gathering on July 4th is a joke. Those who are vaccinated will do as they wish. Those who have not been will too. Some will follow recommendations and others won’t.  It’s been that way since the start of the pandemic. 

Once the States have reached heard immunity, from vaccinations and positive cases, it will be back to the new normal as quick as possible. Cruises will follow suit.  Further delays will come down to how good the industry can lobby and local  politicians will/can push for it’s return.

If not, I can see the cruise industry move embarkation ports off the US continent and the US will lose any taxable portions that they can access now. The CDC will have no control. 

This is very interesting and exciting. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

They work in my country. Perhaps you’d like to stop spreading misinformation?

So terribly sad

here is some data for you, lockdowns do work in containing virus spread

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-cases-data-reveals-how-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704?nw=0

Cases in Australia (left axis is number of cases)

7081AECE-FEA8-4CD1-8BDA-915036225843.png

Hello!  What happened all summer? I see a big spike!  I thought you guys were “locked down”

4 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Ha!!  Not likely.

Why though?  CDC will cave or the industry is afraid to change?  

If it is fold up shop because of the CDC, or go outside the box they might have to make that decision. The Israel/Singapore ship designation is a small example. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3