New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I remember my mother being a nut case about scratching. I have no scars either. 

I only had the one scar because that was the first pox that came up and it was before mom figured out what was going on, after that no scratching allowed and a lot of oatmeal baths.  

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would guess 60%-70% is about the national average right now. The communities I am servicing are more like the 5%-8% range  

Yet, my MIL's senior apartment community (also has long term care and memory care facility on the grounds) had a 98% vaccination rate.  This is a highly educated group of people.  The independent section does not take medicare and you have to have a net worth at a certain level (depending on which floorplan - size and price based) to even be accepted to live there.  Most are retired military officers, Dr'.s, lawyers, and Sr Fed employees or have families that have money.  My MIL is fortunate, as my FIL who retired as a GS-12 gov employee had stock worth a bit (from employer early in his career) and equity in their home so they were able to get in.  It's a very nice facility.  It's also fairly diverse.  My husband's family is hispanic.   According to the poll here on CC, the rate of those that responded is about 78%.  Last I saw, the US rate of people wanting the vaccine was about 68%.

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I wonder if this will ever be a policy for the Covid vaccination for kids to attend school.

Doubt it, more Kids died from Influenza last year then Covid. This even though lowest cases Flu. Unless starts effecting Kids cant see Covid Vaccine being required

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

This doesn't sound good; "Osterholm said there is some preliminary evidence that current vaccines work against the B.1.1.7 variant, but perhaps aren't as effective against other variants."

Though, good news...

March 18, 2020- Ever since U.S. COVID-19 cases started their precipitous post-holiday decline, Americans have been anxious about the threat of yet another hurdle on the long road to recovery: a possible “fourth wave” of infections driven by the newer, more contagious U.K. variant known as B.1.1.7. Experts, meanwhile, have been watching Florida as a bellwether — the place where a fourth wave would probably crash first. After all, Florida has more documented B.1.1.7 cases than any other State. It’s also rolled back precautions more quickly than most. If a spike is coming, the thinking went, Florida is where it would start.

Except it hasn’t started yet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would guess 60%-70% is about the national average right now. The communities I am servicing are more like the 5%-8% range  

I'm reading this while listening to a report that politics are apparently playing a part in this 😭.

If herd immunity is possible it's not likely going to be achieved any time soon if more than 30% of the adult population does not want a vaccination.

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Though, good news...

March 18, 2020- Ever since U.S. COVID-19 cases started their precipitous post-holiday decline, Americans have been anxious about the threat of yet another hurdle on the long road to recovery: a possible “fourth wave” of infections driven by the newer, more contagious U.K. variant known as B.1.1.7. Experts, meanwhile, have been watching Florida as a bellwether — the place where a fourth wave would probably crash first. After all, Florida has more documented B.1.1.7 cases than any other State. It’s also rolled back precautions more quickly than most. If a spike is coming, the thinking went, Florida is where it would start.

Except it hasn’t started yet.

The vaccines while not as effective in preventing disease in some variants, it does still prevent hospitalizations and deaths at 100%.  In fact, there was just something on the news tonight saying that.

There is a BIG problem with the public and vaccine. Dont people realize that after the first shot they can NOT do anything they want. I would hear people coming out of the doctors office saying they were going to restaurant right then because they were vaccinated. I think that may be why some people get tested positive after the vax. They have to allow time for immunity to build.

13 minutes ago, BND said:

The vaccines while not as effective in preventing disease in some variants, it does still prevent hospitalizations and deaths at 100%.  In fact, there was just something on the news tonight saying that.

As expected with most Variants/Vaccines, tweaking happens when needed. We're still heading in right direction, Deaths/Hospitalizations down, cases alone down 90% in 2 months. As article states highest number cases of this Variant is in Florida and so far no issues

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

There is a BIG problem with the public and vaccine. Dont people realize that after the first shot they can NOT do anything they want. I would hear people coming out of the doctors office saying they were going to restaurant right then because they were vaccinated. I think that may be why some people get tested positive after the vax. They have to allow time for immunity to build.

They test positive because the virus RNA is detected... period. It matters not whether you are immune, not immune, whether you got the vaccine two hours ago or two months ago. Being vaccinate and immune doesn't prevent a virus from entering your body. If it is there the test should detect it. Vaccines prevent you from becoming ill. They are not walls that keep intruders out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I came across this sorry today. Guess it’s not just the kids to worry about. I feel like this goes back to asking for better protocols rather than relying on a “fully vaccinated” sailing. Hopefully the cruise lines and governments can move past the pre-vaccine logic rather quickly or sailings may not happen for a long time.

https://www.kitv.com/story/43490047/fully-vaccinated-hawaii-healthcare-worker-contracts-covid19

Thanks for posting this. This is the best news I have heard about how these mRNA vaccines are doing their job. I'm assuming it was an mRNA vaccine because the person in question had two doses. Let's remember, the vaccines do not have a 100% efficacy for disease. They are reported to provide protection from having moderate to severe symptoms if a fully vaccinated person does contract the virus.

The best news to come out of this situation in the article is that there was no transmission of the virus to others in close contact with the Covid positive person. I am dancing on the ceiling right now with this news. All the more reason for the cruise lines to have fully vaccinated ships. Transmission of the virus will be nearly zero and those folks who do contract the virus will either be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

I'm ready to cruise. Let's get the show on the road!!!!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, broberts said:

I'm reading this while listening to a report that politics are apparently playing a part in this 😭.

If herd immunity is possible it's not likely going to be achieved any time soon if more than 30% of the adult population does not want a vaccination.

This is why those public service announcements were made by our former presidents and their wives (with the exception of our 45th president and first lady who were secretly vaccinated before they left the White House with no cameras to capture the event).

Seems there are lots of folks who need to be encouraged and educated on the safety and science behind the vaccines. Reaching herd immunity safely is what America must strive for. I'm thankful those public service announcements will be airing soon, if not already being aired.

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What good does it do if the teacher unions don’t permit the teachers to return?

I would imagine their stance on returning to work would change if all involved were mandated to be vaccinated for in person learning. That is a big "if" though.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

I'm sure you are correct.  Some people just don't get it.

3 hours ago, Heymarco said:

First we need a vaccine for children.

The manufacturers are working on it. I believe it will happen and kids will have an approved for emergency use soon. Just my gut feeling though and more wishful thinking on my part.

I don't find anything particularly distrubing in that story. So they tested positive. They were not sick. That is the key. In a way it is reassuring. You are vaccinated, you come in contact with the virus, you don't get sick. Just more reason to have a fully vaccinated ship.

Yup... I just said that in my post but I was just a bit more exuberant!

1 hour ago, easyqueasy said:

Wow, putting down communities because you think they’re less educated. Not a shock I suppose from all these COVID vaccine experts. I can tell you at my company that has thousands of highly educated (or at least got their bachelor degrees and above) employees, only 60% wants to be vaccinated. 

I don't think they are less educated. I have read that the demographics of these Under served communities ARE less educated and much more skeptical of vaccines in general. These people need to be educated about how the vaccines work to prevent death and to get them to trust the vaccines in general.

I wonder what is driving educated people, such as the folks at your company, to not want to be vaccinated. Why are they skeptical of these vaccines that are saving lives?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I was hoping for sooner but later is better than not at all.

Even best case most what I've seen if they wanted to Vaccinate Children in US wouldn't be completed until late Fall 2022. And this was also put out by current Admin a month ago. Hopefully never be needed but Children's Vaccine good thing have on hand in case of Emergency's...

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Do not discount the number of Americans that have recovered and carry naturally occurring antibodies; some studies estimate this number to be as high as 90 million. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Do not discount the number of Americans that have recovered and carry naturally occurring antibodies; some studies estimate this number to be as high as 90 million. 

Beat me too it. Herd Immunity includes recovered, which as you said number est 90 Million US cases. Past couple Global Pandemics ended even without Vaccine. This includes the 2009 H1N1 where here in US 50 Million infected a total 1 of ever 6 Americans, 257K Hospitalized and 11K Deaths and a World Wide 700 million plus cases and 284K Deaths.. In end burned itself out, as Expert stated, "Was more infections than we realize, and that those milder, unrecorded infections result in robust immunity, then this quickly lead to herd immunity, leaving the virus nowhere to go but extinct". . Not making light of current outbreak but on downside...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I don't think they are less educated. I have read that the demographics of these Under served communities ARE less educated and much more skeptical of vaccines in general. These people need to be educated about how the vaccines work to prevent death and to get them to trust the vaccines in general.

I wonder what is driving educated people, such as the folks at your company, to not want to be vaccinated. Why are they skeptical of these vaccines that are saving lives?

Maybe it has something to do with many of the politicians saying they didn't trust the vaccine during the election.  Now those same politicians are saying the vaccine is safe.  Hopefully people will learn to trust the vaccine more than politicians.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I would imagine their stance on returning to work would change if all involved were mandated to be vaccinated for in person learning. That is a big "if" though.

Our schools in Florida have been open all year WITHOUT issues. Teachers came back to work. 

Florida has been open since June. We are doing fine. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Our schools in Florida have been open all year WITHOUT issues. Teachers came back to work. 

Florida has been open since June. We are doing fine. 

Maybe if they stopped paying them, they would come back to the classroom -- don't you think?  Why would they want to have to get off that gravy train?

• Like 4

They test positive because the virus RNA is detected... period. It matters not whether you are immune, not immune, whether you got the vaccine two hours ago or two months ago. Being vaccinate and immune doesn't prevent a virus from entering your body. If it is there the test should detect it. Vaccines prevent you from becoming ill. They are not walls that keep intruders out.

Pfizer vaccine is 94% effective against asymptomatic infection. I suspect that might prevent transmission. Like every other vaccine ever developed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

At least that. Some estimate total infected = 4x confirmed cases. Potentially >100 million.