UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Mind you that was written last June, before vaccinations.  Can't see why you would need social distancing or masks if they insist on vaccinations.

Even if you are vaccinated there is a slight risk of catching covid and subsequently passing it on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

Even if you are vaccinated there is a slight risk of catching covid and subsequently passing it on.

The consensus though is that vaccination will significantly reduce your chances of having a serious illness and being hospitalised, and even less likely to die as a consequence, and will in all likelihood reduce the possibility of you passing it on to anyone else.

Covid is going to be around for a long time and, like winter flu, we are going to have to get used to living with it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

The consensus though is that vaccination will significantly reduce your chances of having a serious illness and being hospitalised, and even less likely to die as a consequence, and will in all likelihood reduce the possibility of you passing it on to anyone else.

Covid is going to be around for a long time and, like winter flu, we are going to have to get used to living with it.

I agree with what you are saying.I just think P and O may start the 'test' cruises with social distancing and masks and see how things go.I may be wrong and I think it will depend on the results of their survey to see if they put restrictions in place

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I agree with what you are saying.I just think P and O may start the 'test' cruises with social distancing and masks and see how things go.I may be wrong and I think it will depend on the results of their survey to see if they put restrictions in place

I agree, until the restrictions are dropped in the UK cruise lines will find it hard to not follow suit. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 3:04 PM, yorkshirephil said:

This is an interesting read; how cruising may look and some of the trials and tribulations of restarting.

A Year of No Cruising: The Cruise Changes That Have Taken Place Since COVID-19 Began (cruisecritic.co.uk)

I posted something similar a couple of days ago on the Local Cruises thread. They are talking about ramped up medical facilities, the air con and muster.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes but all restrictions in the UK are due to be dropped by July?  And I doubt cruising will start until then?

The roadmap document says “it is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed”, this may or may not happen, Chris Whitty was say a few weeks ago we may need to social distance and wear masks for sometime yet. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The roadmap document says “it is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed”, this may or may not happen, Chris Whitty was say a few weeks ago we may need to social distance and wear masks for sometime yet. 

Yes he did, but he was referring to the autumn and winter when the virus would be more active.

• Like 1

-- Cruise lines have confirmed that the earliest possible restart date for sailings from England will be "eight to 12 weeks" from May 17.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5945/?et_cid=3413549&et_rid=252514842&et_referrer=Boards - CC-UK

His words echo those of P&O Cruises and Cunard, the latter of which stated it would be several months before it restarted.

Edited by emam
  • Like 1

Just wanted to add if anyone books this and they berth in Greenock to post up on here and I will happily give suggestions of trips.  I can also give you wave as you will sail straight past my  garden on the way there.  Do not do a walk off the ship in this port as there really isn't much near by.  But just 1 mile away by taxi will give you a incredible view of  the mountains in the west coast. And an easy trip further away some of the best scenery about .  Glasgow is also a worth while alternative if you prefer cities to scenery 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emam said:

-- Cruise lines have confirmed that the earliest possible restart date for sailings from England will be "eight to 12 weeks" from May 17.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5945/?et_cid=3413549&et_rid=252514842&et_referrer=Boards - CC-UK

His words echo those of P&O Cruises and Cunard, the latter of which stated it would be several months before it restarted.

I bet they get at least one ship going by the end of May just to test the waters. Prices might be high however.

1 hour ago, CCFC said:

I bet they get at least one ship going by the end of May just to test the waters. Prices might be high however.

I would very much doubt it, if international travel ban and quarantine rules aren’t lifted then where will crew come from, especially as number of cases are rising in India & the Philippines 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

Do we know yet what will happen with testing? From the information being given so far, children will be allowed on these cruises and of course these won’t be vaccinated. You would think these new cruises will be for vaccinated adults only until they know how easily it can be spread 

40 minutes ago, KellyStar100 said:

Do we know yet what will happen with testing? From the information being given so far, children will be allowed on these cruises and of course these won’t be vaccinated. You would think these new cruises will be for vaccinated adults only until they know how easily it can be spread 

Ouch! That's a bit harsh on the children, who are as deserving of a holiday as adults surely? Further details are to be released next week I believe. It maybe that at least one of the two adults-only P&O ships will be used in which case it be less of a worry for you. As for vaccinated/un-vaccinated, nothing has yet been said. The only UK cruise line that has stipulated vaccinated adults only to date is Saga. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Ouch! That's a bit harsh on the children, who are as deserving of a holiday as adults surely? Further details are to be released next week I believe. It maybe that at least one of the two adults-only P&O ships will be used in which case it be less of a worry for you. As for vaccinated/un-vaccinated, nothing has yet been said. The only UK cruise line that has stipulated vaccinated adults only to date is Saga. 

Apologies. I didn’t mean for it to come out quite like it did. It’s just the idea of children from all over the country  mingling fills me with dread. Hopefully P&O will be testing before boarding and during to be certain. As a couple, we have hardly been out as we work from home. We would love to go on a cruise again and have the Caribbean booked for January but will wait to see how it goes before booking another. 

• Like 1

Current expectations are that vaccination will be completed by September, just in time to start booster jabs which Johnson mentioned a few days ago.

Analysis of Government data by the FT shows the expected dates when various cohorts will begin.

7F2022FC-9C4E-4A5C-A91B-C43B2D17B38E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KellyStar100 said:

Apologies. I didn’t mean for it to come out quite like it did. It’s just the idea of children from all over the country  mingling fills me with dread. Hopefully P&O will be testing before boarding and during to be certain. As a couple, we have hardly been out as we work from home. We would love to go on a cruise again and have the Caribbean booked for January but will wait to see how it goes before booking another. 

No need to apologise and, if I'm being honest, my reply was less than friendly. Our posts are interesting though because here we see two sides of the coin: me wanting to do something nice and take two youngsters on a nice little escape after the horrible year they've had, and you having valid concerns about children from all over the country mingling without vaccine cover. You're right - it could be a melting pot. I, on the other hand, would worry about un-vaccinated passengers and crew passing on the virus to the kids. Nightmare! Do look out for an adults only version though because it could be the answer to your worries. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Beckett said:

No need to apologise and, if I'm being honest, my reply was less than friendly. Our posts are interesting though because here we see two sides of the coin: me wanting to do something nice and take two youngsters on a nice little escape after the horrible year they've had, and you having valid concerns about children from all over the country mingling without vaccine cover. You're right - it could be a melting pot. I, on the other hand, would worry about un-vaccinated passengers and crew passing on the virus to the kids. Nightmare! Do look out for an adults only version though because it could be the answer to your worries. 

nice too see a discussion on a forum where the participants can see the other point of view.  Personally I think what happens over the next few weeks/month re schools wrt infection rates will play a big part in the nest steps the cruise lines will take wrt kids

Edited by fragilek
sp
  • Like 5

My view is very much along the lines that by the time these cruises start, those who have been vaccinated will have far less to fear from any child that might be infectious, than they would have had before the vaccination campaign. It won't give a 100% guarantee but it will be enough for me not to worry.

I imagine that regular testing will be part of cruising for some months to come, but I also hope that the cruise lines do not go overboard with their application of the need for quarantine for vaccinated adults, who might have come into contact with someone who has tested positive.

But until the cruise lines provide details of their plans, we remain in the dark.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KellyStar100 said:

Apologies. I didn’t mean for it to come out quite like it did. It’s just the idea of children from all over the country  mingling fills me with dread..

With the greatest respect, maybe not a holiday you should be doing then as if rules allow they will have every right to be onboard mingling as you say.

Hearing from Carnival it will be 3 ships from P&O operating the new cruises. Can only guess that most likely will be Britannia, Ventura & Azura but could be one of the adults only ships instead. 5 & 7 nights and I think they said 4 aswell but could have been 3.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

Hearing from Carnival it will be 3 ships from P&O operating the new cruises. Can only guess that most likely will be Britannia, Ventura & Azura but could be one of the adults only ships instead. 5 & 7 nights and I think they said 4 aswell but could have been 3.

Hopefully and fingers crossed it will be one of the adult only ships also. We were on the Aurora many moons ago. I will be watching and hoping others who do try out these uk cruises post what they are like. I think there will be quite a few people like me keen to see how they work. 

• Like 6