UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

From the P&O web page.

"All guests and crew boarding our ships will undergo health screening and testing for COVID-19 before boarding. "

I'm sure they will firm that up a bit before Britannia sails on her first short cruise on 27 June.

Yes the Express is reporting Britannia having 3 and 4 night sailings with 1 6 night sailing from June and Iona from August 7 with 7 night sailings.

only vaccinated guests still with social distancing and masks.

3 night Britannia sailing from 449pp. 

Interesting if it all becomes true.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

How did they let you know the balance date had changed.  Did they email?

Yes, they did it was at the bottom of the Travel Insurance Required email on March 10th and we were due to travel on 2nd Sept

A change to your balance due date

When you made your booking we would have advised you that the full balance for your holiday is due 90 days before departure. However in light of the on-going situation regarding COVID-19 we want to be able to offer you reassurance and flexibility. We have therefore taken the decision to relax our balance due payment terms to 30 days prior to departure, meaning you now have a little more time before you have to pay your final balance.

As a result of this change you also have longer to take advantage of our updated transfer policy. This means that prior to your balance due date, you may now:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale

• Transfer your booking to a cruise holiday of higher or lower value

• Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times

• Transfer your booking free of charge

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

From the P&O web page.

"All guests and crew boarding our ships will undergo health screening and testing for COVID-19 before boarding. "

Blimey. They aren’t exactly slick with embarkation when they don’t have to do that. Presume these are lateral flow tests, which seem to be quite unreliable. 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

£449 pp for 3 nights on Brittania!  I don't think so!

I would hope that if they are restricting capacity, that will be for a balcony. Anyway I think I'll pass. Brittany ferries to Santander is more appealing.

1 minute ago, mercury7289 said:

wowzz,sorry me thinks you are being played!

Why would I waste my time making things up? 😂

Express have now removed the article as I was about to link to it, so that tells

me the P&O announcement is imminent but Express released it slightly too early. 

Basic PR mistake. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

Express have now removed the article as I was about to link to it, so that tells

Basic PR mistake. 

That sounds likely as nobody else printed it. Naughty Express.🤔

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Yes, they did it was at the bottom of the Travel Insurance Required email on March 10th and we were due to travel on 2nd Sept

A change to your balance due date

When you made your booking we would have advised you that the full balance for your holiday is due 90 days before departure. However in light of the on-going situation regarding COVID-19 we want to be able to offer you reassurance and flexibility. We have therefore taken the decision to relax our balance due payment terms to 30 days prior to departure, meaning you now have a little more time before you have to pay your final balance.

As a result of this change you also have longer to take advantage of our updated transfer policy. This means that prior to your balance due date, you may now:

• Transfer your booking to any P&O Cruises holiday currently on sale

• Transfer your booking to a cruise holiday of higher or lower value

• Transfer your booking an unlimited number of times

• Transfer your booking free of charge

Thanks for that.  I assume you booked direct?  My TA will probably let me know.  My balance isn't due until July.

For me £449 is at the upper end of what I would pay for Britannia, and at that price, I would expect it to be a Balcony yes.

A week on Iona Sounds interesting.

Edited by JP82

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Jeepers. I’d want a Suite for that! Surely that can’t be right?

I have a feeling that the price would be correct. As you say, overpriced for a balcony, and in reality, just two days at sea.

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

£449 pp for 3 nights on Brittania!  I don't think so!

Supply and demand - cruise companies know after this long break, there are folk who'll pay anything to get to sea. Henceforth these folk can be referred to as the £ forty-niners 😁

The largest ship we've been on is Azura and that's plenty big enough. However we might be tempted to try Iona or Britannia this summer for 3 days (or more) but not at £449.

I would expect them to be selling balconies only and using other accomodation to have less cabin sharing by crew.  I am also wondering if there may be something included, so have to wait and see.

Also interesting the dates continue until September, so likely indicates they are hoping to continue scheduled cruises after that, though probably with some itinerary changes.  That would make the October Princess cruise as one of the early starters to the Med.

47 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Blimey. They aren’t exactly slick with embarkation when they don’t have to do that. Presume these are lateral flow tests, which seem to be quite unreliable. 

I had a lat flow test last week when I visited my Mum in her care home.  It took about 15 minutes for the result to appear, I waited in the car.  Maybe something along those lines could be done for pax arriving by car - go to the short stay car park for your test, then go to the terminal to drop luggage off and check in etc.  Obviously would need a lot more marshalling and faffing around.  Maybe increase the time needed for embarkation, which would also give a bit more time for enhanced cleaning on board.

Re the accuracy of lat flow tests, last year Mum's care home decided not use these tests because of the poor accuracy, which meant people couldn't visit at that time.  Maybe these tests are now more accurate than previously, hence the home's decision to now use them?

Mind you, all the residents have now been vaccinated......

• Like 1

£449pp is a "from" price as well, assuming a September itinerary.

For comparison, and I don't know if the cruise will actually sail, there is a 10 night itinerary round the British Isles in early October on Sky Princess (which actually stops) for c. £102pppn, inclusive of all gratuities, drinks package, and Wi-fi.  A balcony cabin for around £120pppn, so again cheaper.

Just interested on the theme of Princess trying to compete with P&O.  In fairness, the P&O price would include the choice of car parking, or OBC or coach transfer, which Princess doesn't.  However, Princess and not P&O can be found on a cashback site for direct bookings if preferred.  

If we were convinced that the itinerary may be fulfilled then we may give Princess a try as opposed to a P&O "Premium staycation."

58 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Basic PR mistake. 

Do u know if it mentioned what was happening with the Azura and Ventura? The kids prefer the Ventura so that would be the go to one. Thank u 😊

1 minute ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Do u know if it mentioned what was happening with the Azura and Ventura? The kids prefer the Ventura so that would be the go to one. Thank u 😊

The article didn’t mention those two ships, but as I say it’s been retracting so it may not have been the full story. If they’re using both the larger ships, Id guess the others will stay in lay up. Only certain amount of people will do cruises to nowhere and so they’ve probably thought it’s best to use the two larger ships that are the newest that have better fuel efficiency and mean the biggest capacity, even when reduced, compared to the rest of the fleet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1