Is NCL going to require passengers to be vaccinated like RCL & Celebrity?

source

Our family of 4 got Covid in December. We cruise this Thanksgiving and will not be getting vaccines. I hope that NCL, if requiring vaccines to travel, will allow us to get our original $$ back from March 2020 cruise. We took the FCC when we rebooked our March cruise to Thanksgiving 2020. Nobody in March expected this to go on this long. We should have asked for a refund originally. Since then our money has been held hostage.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Inflatable_Catfish said:

We should have asked for a refund originally

You should have, and now that it's FCC that's how it'll stay.  There IS an option to transfer it once, so you could find someone willing to take it in exchange for some cash.  You might end up losing some value, but you'll get SOMETHING for it.

I encourage you to read through other threads in this forum, there have been MANY over the last year where FCC and refunds are discussed...

15 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Decide for yourself what your best path is, and let your neighbor decide for himself.

Vaccines operate not just on a personal protection basis, but on community basis. From vaccines. gov:
___

How does community immunity work?

Germs can travel quickly through a community and make a lot of people sick. If enough people get sick, it can lead to an outbreak. But when enough people are vaccinated against a certain disease, the germs can’t travel as easily from person to person — and the entire community is less likely to get the disease.

That means even people who can’t get vaccinated will have some protection from getting sick. And if a person does get sick, there’s less chance of an outbreak because it’s harder for the disease to spread. Eventually, the disease becomes rare — and sometimes, it’s wiped out altogether.
 ___
In other words, it's imperative that everyone who can get vaccinated does, so the people who actually can't (allergy, illness, pregnancy, etc) don't get sick . This impacts every other person in your community.

Choosing not to get vaccinated against a highly communicable disease directly impacts your neighbors.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, cruisin07family said:

The choice has been made for me because NCL canceled my Bermuda cruise in August.  I am not planning to rebook anything until more information is known and cruising has started.  There are plenty of other vacation options available to me without gene therapy.

You can get the J&J vaccine if the mRNA platform scares you.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK....I'll admit, I don't know what gene therapy is and why someone would need it.  And, why would my genes need therapy?

Gene therapy is a pretty astounding medical technique that can help severely ill people. It can replace defective genes with good functioning copies, turn off disease causing genes that are problematic, and introduce new or modified genes into a patient to fight diseases. It's all cutting edge, and the next big frontier of medicine. Conservatively speaking, there's a good chance that gene therapy may end up being an excellent treatment for some cancers, genetic disorder. and lots of infectious diseases. 

All of that said... coronavirus vaccines are NOT gene therapy. Anyone online yelling about gene therapy who has "done the research" is misguided and misinformed. mRNA covid vaccines are not gene therapy and they won’t change your DNA. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Gene therapy is a pretty astounding medical technique that can help severely ill people. It can replace defective genes with good functioning copies, turn off disease causing genes that are problematic, and introduce new or modified genes into a patient to fight diseases. It's all cutting edge, and the next big frontier of medicine. Conservatively speaking, there's a good chance that gene therapy may end up being an excellent treatment for some cancers, genetic disorder. and lots of infectious diseases. 

All of that said... coronavirus vaccines are NOT gene therapy. Anyone online yelling about gene therapy who has "done the research" is misguided and misinformed. mRNA covid vaccines are not gene therapy and they won’t change your DNA. 

Thanks!  I had no clue.  I've been educated here at CC.  My Drs didn't mention anything about "gene therapy" when they all recommended the COVID vaccine.  So, I thought maybe I missed something.

Sounds promising, but as you mention, I don't see any remote relevance in getting the COVID vaccine.

• Like 1

Fun fact: back when the smallpox vaccine came out, there were people who thought it would turn you into a cow or cause you to sprout a cow head. So, it's good to know that idiocy and misinformation about vaccines isn't unique to current generations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am a firm believer that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  The day after my second vaccine, it felt like a truck ran me over in my sleep.  I had chills, brain fog, and fatigue.  The following day I was fine.  I was actually happy with the post vaccine symptoms because it tells me the vaccine is working.  My body encountered something and started to build fighting cells to protect me and give me some immunity from it.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

___
In other words, it's imperative that everyone who can get vaccinated does, so the people who actually can't (allergy, illness, pregnancy, etc) don't get sick . This impacts every other person in your community.

So what you're basically saying is each according to his ability, each according to his need?

32 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

So what you're basically saying is each according to his ability, each according to his need?

No, I’m saying get a vaccine so you don’t kill your neighbors. If that’s Marxism to you, we’re all in a world of trouble. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Like 8

On 3/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, juju2454 said:

They are testing on children and babies as well as pregnant women, So I'm pretty sure children will stull sail.  I still find them preferable to most adults.  Kids don't get drunk and mouthy.

It's difficult for me to comprehend that a pregnant woman would put her baby at risk -- even if the risk is near zero, what kind of person takes any extra chance at damaging their unborn child? /smh

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 2:38 AM, Froggitt said:

No way is any cruise company going to risk being the virus capital of the high seas. They're all going vaccine only, possibly with some exemptions for those unable to get the vaccine.

Concur

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 8:50 AM, Inflatable_Catfish said:

I hope that NCL, if requiring vaccines to travel, will allow us to get our original $$ back from March 2020 cruise.

I'm wondering if this is the primary reason NCL, RCCL, or CCL have not issued a fleetwide vaccine requirement. Virgin did AND is giving cash refunds all the way back to the beginning. This would open the door to refunds on every single cruise...as anyone can claim they won't get a vaccination. $$$$$$$

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 7:48 AM, JamieLogical said:

I suspect, like Royal, they won't require vaccines for children under 16 or 18, but will require all adults to be vaccinated. Also, I don't know about the vaccinated adult demographic being too small. Sailing probably isn't going to start until over the summer and, by then, well over half of US adults will be vaccinated. Plus, of the adults who ARE vaccinated, more of them will match cruising's target demographics of older and wealthier people.

Between pent up demand and possibly reduced capacity, I don't think NCL will have a hard time finding enough vaccinated people to fill their ships.

Doses Administered: 140,180,735 (2,982,453 J&J)

People Vaccinated, At Least One Dose: 91,707,729

Fully Vaccinated: 50,141,769

Getting there.

Wife and I have had both prizer doses.

And, I understand that Pfizer has started trial vaccinations for children as young as six months.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 9:03 AM, brookie848 said:

The reason you want others to be vaccinated is because it will lower the chance of an outbreak on your cruise. If there's an outbreak, there's a good chance the trip you thought you were going to have is going to be spent in your cabin and any port stops will be cancelled.

Fine with me.  I wouldn't mind spending a few more days in my Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite.  I'm retired so I might as well spend the time there as elsewhere.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, graphicguy said:

Given the demographics of their paying cruisers, I think it's an almost certainty they'll require a vaccine to sail.  They've gone through the exercise of vaccinating crew, and installing high level air purification, all at significant cost.  I'm betting, they've gone through the effort to either disinfect every micro centimeter of their ships and furnishings, or replace anything they couldn't sterilize.

Given that effort, they will not risk someone boarding a) without a negative COVID test within a few days of sail date, and b) without proof of a vaccine!

I know there's been some hand wringing about "well, what if I can't get a vaccine because (state any reason)?".  The ships will not sail at capacity.  So, if they miss some cruisers because they can't/won't get the vaccine, it will be of little consequence.  

Demand is going to be high once the ships sail, again (which I believe will be sooner than later given the amount of vaccines being administered and the resulting precipitous drop in COVID cases).  As such, they'll be able to sail with ½, ⅔, ¾ whatever amount they want for the foreseeable future.

The Biden administration says there will be sufficient vaccine to vaccinate everyone in the US by the end of May using the vaccines developed by the Trump administration.  (Giving credit to both.)

On 3/26/2021 at 1:39 PM, Incognito1 said:

It's difficult for me to comprehend that a pregnant woman would put her baby at risk -- even if the risk is near zero, what kind of person takes any extra chance at damaging their unborn child? /smh

The pregnant woman takes an extra chance of damaging their unborn child every time she gets in an automobile.  Life is full of risks.

44 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

there will be sufficient vaccine to vaccinate everyone in the US by the end of May

To be clear - it will take through May to produce sufficient doses, but that was clarified later in the thread than the post you quoted.

This thread isn't really about the vaccines themselves though, as was also noted later in the thread than the posts you quoted...

It makes me sad to say that I won't be cruising as long as a vaccine is required.  I have taken a cruise twice a year for the last six years and we have always gone high end - ~$20,000 all in per trip.  I can book one hell of a vacation for that without getting on a ship.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The Biden administration says there will be sufficient vaccine to vaccinate everyone in the US by the end of May using the vaccines developed by the Trump administration.  (Giving credit to both.)

Pretty big steps for sure to get these vaccines developed and administered 

My wife and I are getting our second shots this afternoon and we both had covid in November so should not have to worry about getting sick on a cruise.

Our only concern is the testing that will probably still be required along with vaccine to get on the ship. I have already had a friend that was fully vaccinated and is a healthcare provider working in a hospital contract covid with no symptoms at all. This could happen to us also especially if herd immunity is not reached.