Is NCL going to require passengers to be vaccinated like RCL & Celebrity?

source

Just try to remember that the vaccine is not the cure. It is like the flu shot, you can still catch the virus. I hope cruising gets going soon, I have one booked in Jan 2022. I got the vaccine as I work in healthcare. If I hadn't already gotten the vaccine , I would get it to be able to go on a cruise. 

2 minutes ago, Froggitt said:

Anyone else think the recently cancelled Norwegian Encore, Jewel, and Jade will be redeployed to the UK this summer/autumn?

I think 2 in the UK, 1 in the Med.  I also think (taking it one step father) that the Joy is getting cancelled (they are all showing as sold out right now (NY homeport) until after the conditional sail ends) and gets repositioned as the ship to serve from Nassau or somewhere close to there.

1 minute ago, Froggitt said:

Anyone else think the recently cancelled Norwegian Encore, Jewel, and Jade will be redeployed to the UK this summer/autumn?

Not the Jade at least. All sailings are cancelled through Nov. 4 and she was to start sailing the UK in May. We had one for Sept 23 booked.

But didn't those sailings have some non-UK ports, e.g. Cork, Le Havre, Iceland? These new sailings will be something like Southampton, Portland, Belfast, Inverness, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Southampton....maybe some clockwise, some anti-clockwise.

55 minutes ago, Froggitt said:

The Princess Boards are very busy discussing the Princess “staycation” cruises due to be released tomorrow for UK citizens.  I think they start in September.  P&O is offering them as well.  So who knows? 

10 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I am surprised at some of the comments here.  Of course NCL is going to require a vaccination prior to sailing.  If you know anything about cruising, they all follow the leader. NCL is not going to be the "vaccine free" cruise line.  Could you imagine what that would be like?  Some islands my not welcome NCL ships.  NCL could get a nightmare scenario and problems with the CDC if just one passenger caught COVID on board.  No doubt NCL like other cruise lines want their business back and will require vaccinations prior to boarding.  This may not last forever but at least for the next 2 years.  

The only way the world gets back to normal is to snuff this out.  It cant be snuffed out without mass vaccinations.  Without mass vaccinations, cruising cannot resume.  Passenger and customer safety is NCL's priority right after service charge fees and auto gratuities for your convenience of course!

"Of course NCL is going to require a vaccination....".

guess I might as well give up cruising for the foreseeable future....

At least for cruises that will be sailing within European waters I am pretty certain there will be a vaccine requirement for all passengers. I don't think that will be up to the cruise line to decide, it all depends on the requirement from each visited port/country.

• Like 1

I would have thought that vaccination would be an obvious requirement as it is with all the major cruise lines that have announced a re start of cruises to nowhere around UK for this year... 

But then came MSC with a promise of "open to all" vaccinated or non-vaccinated, adults and children on the Magnifica based at Southampton for Summer.

True they will only take UK passengers around UK ports of call and the impositions of masking, distancing, trackers and repeated and increased testing for those not vaccinated will put many off.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5977/

But there is now talk of MSC adding another larger ship this summer.

At this rate NCL will miss out on dock space this year if they do not commit soon.

6 hours ago, cruisin07family said:

That would be your choice.  You have other vaccinations correct?  Why is this one different?  We must all pull together to get back to normal. I got my second shot yesterday and have my CDC vaccination card ready to go.  Although I don't have the money to cruise right now.  My next cruise probably wont be until 2023.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kim L said:

Just try to remember that the vaccine is not the cure. It is like the flu shot, you can still catch the virus. I hope cruising gets going soon, I have one booked in Jan 2022. I got the vaccine as I work in healthcare. If I hadn't already gotten the vaccine , I would get it to be able to go on a cruise. 

I don't agree. The vaccine will allow us to achieve herd immunity SAFELY. THAT is the end game. So, essentially, the vaccine is a cure for this pandemic. It will take time but it is coming.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cruisin07family said:

Are you vaccinated for any of the childhood diseases? Shingrix? Pneumonia? Flu? Any vaccines???

Why so hesitant for a Covid vaccine? If you are leery of the mRNA vaccines (which I got), why not go for the traditional J&J vaccine? That vaccine also is 100% effective at eliminating severe disease and hospitalization and death. Why take the chance of dying of this disease or having the Covid long haul effects that many are experiencing?

You don't have to answer. Just give it some thought. We as a nation, need to reach herd immunity SAFELY to be able to go about our lives normally and that includes cruising. Oh, to be on our balcony taking in the ocean breezes. I can not wait!

• Like 3

I had Covid last month. I was going to get vaccinated and still may. Have to wait 90 days per CDC guidelines. I believe however that a valid antibody test should be considered the same as vaccinated for travel. I know there is a chance for reinfection, but at least one study so far showed less than 1% which is a higher efficacy then the vaccines.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chris32174 said:

I had Covid last month. I was going to get vaccinated and still may. Have to wait 90 days per CDC guidelines.

You only need to wait if you received an infusion as part of your treatment.  How do I know?  I had COVID in early January and got dose 1 on March 10.  My dad had COVID in January and is now through the protocol (2 shots plus 2 weeks after second shot) and deemed "fully vaccinated".  My GP's office asked me how long it had been since I had COVID (I mentioned it when they called me to offer the vaccine) and after checking since I was within the 90 day window they determined I was good to go to get the shot since I didn't receive an infusion...

• Like 1

We're booked on a Transatlantic cruise leaving Rome on November 2. i certainly expect vaccinations will be required and I expect every country we'll arrive at will require vaccines also. Vaccines are not 100% effective and new strains may be coming all the time.  I'm 73 and wouldn't think of going on a cruise with unvaccinated people.  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:39 AM, Yesimapirate said:

Maybe I'm naive but I was also assuming that a strong majority of people would be smart enough to get the vaccine,  required or not.

I would not make the same assumptions as you.

The US has a core libertarian streak that makes moments like this challenging. Asking people to make a small sacrifice (get a vaccine, wear a mask) for the benefit of others in the wider community is not really a national value, and we’ve seen this flare up repeatedly over the past year.

Mandatory vaccinations are probably the only option for cruise lines... we can’t really trust everyone to do the best thing for the greater good 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Why so hesitant for a Covid vaccine? If you are leery of the mRNA vaccines (which I got), why not go for the traditional J&J vaccine? That vaccine also is 100% effective at eliminating severe disease and hospitalization and death. Why take the chance of dying of this disease or having the Covid long haul effects that many are experiencing?

There are a lot of reasons people choose to get or not get a vaccine.  Some of those choosing not to get one have stated the following:

Low risk of the disease

Unproven side effects of mRNA

Proven, though rare, side effects of mRNA

Medical issues

Doubt over the "herd immunity" concept for this particular virus

Using other proven methods for immune boosting

Fetal tissue experimentation and development 

Distrust of the CDC and/or government in general

The vaccine itself is rushed

Mask fatigue

Planning to wait-and-see

History of experimentation on black Americans (black Americans have the lowest vaccination rate)

Belief that a person has already had the virus

Pregnant, possibility of becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding

(sources: PBS Newshour/NPR/Marist poll, MSN Lifestyle Health, Kaiser Family Foundation poll, Pew Research)

Again, weigh your own risk, take personal responsibility for the choices you make.  

According to the CDC Coronavirus page, "In recent weeks, the number of COVID-19 deaths has declined. Overall, deaths have decreased for the past 9 weeks."  1025 deaths where patients were positive for COVID (not, where they died FROM it) in the last week in a population of more than 330,000,000.

Decide for yourself what your best path is, and let your neighbor decide for himself.

• Like 2

More importantly to me,  what will be accepted as POV?  Countries and jurisdictions within them all have their own policies. Parts of Canada are giving out cards that are worthless as proof. They could be transferred or sold on the street. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisin07family said:

If you don't intend to be vaccinated I would agree you might want to give up any thoughts of cruising for the next couple of years or so.  Until this is a distant memory I feel like all cruise lines are going to require vaccines.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, cruisin07family said:

The choice has been made for me because NCL canceled my Bermuda cruise in August.  I am not planning to rebook anything until more information is known and cruising has started.  There are plenty of other vacation options available to me without gene therapy.

Well I would say the choice is ultimately yours to make but I am not judging you one way or another, just stating I don't see a time in the near future where you would be available to cruise without a vaccine.  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, Yesimapirate said:

Let me add, anything that discourages kids would not upset me either.  I'm sure they're all angels but that doesn't mean I want to spend vacation surrounded by them.   This applies to those adults who act like children too.  Except me.  Put me near dessert and I'm acting 8!😁

They are testing on children and babies as well as pregnant women, So I'm pretty sure children will stull sail.  I still find them preferable to most adults.  Kids don't get drunk and mouthy.

2 minutes ago, juju2454 said:

They are testing on children and babies as well as pregnant women, So I'm pretty sure children will stull sail.  I still find them preferable to most adults.  Kids don't get drunk and mouthy.

Yea, right... Once past about 6, most kids are mouthy and quite a few (older) kids will get drunk given a chance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1