Is NCL going to require passengers to be vaccinated like RCL & Celebrity?

source

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. I hope covid testing will be enough because my sister ended up in ICU from a vaccination. Since then, she has been advised to skip vaccines. We are booked together on a December cruise that I will cancel if she is unable to go. We were supposed to sail in February to celebrate her birthday that fell during the voyage.

Mary

• Like 1

I sure hope NCL requires vaccines when they startup again. I'm booked on Adventure of the Seas out of Nassau for August. Hopefully NCL has something planned for a summer restart in the Caribbean outside of the US.

Got my second Pfizer dose on Friday. Felt tired and had a headache Saturday, but feel totally fine today. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

Pretty big steps for sure to get these vaccines developed and administered 

You're right of course but hasn't CDC extended their no sail order until October?

That's plenty of time to administer the vaccines to those who want it.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:03 PM, hallux said:

This thread isn't really about the vaccines themselves though, as was also noted later in the thread than the posts you quoted...

The availability of sufficient vaccines is certainly relevant to a requirement to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:39 PM, Incognito1 said:

It's difficult for me to comprehend that a pregnant woman would put her baby at risk -- even if the risk is near zero, what kind of person takes any extra chance at damaging their unborn child? /smh

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pregnant-women-show-strong-immune-response-covid-vaccine-study-finds-n1262076

Vaccinated women showing strong immune response, unborn babies may acquire immunity from vaccinated mothers, the risks are less for pregnant women and their unborn than for unvaccinated.

Also:

https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-advisory/articles/2020/12/vaccinating-pregnant-and-lactating-patients-against-covid-19

Vaccines should not be withheld from pregnant and lactating women.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

With the CLIA ratcheting up pressure on the CDC to treat the cruise industry the same as other travel and leisure industries, I believe there will be a threshold where the CDC acquiesces.  However, one of those thresholds will be for the ships’ crews and guests to have been vaccinated.  

I think they’re probably going to be much more stringent in showing proof of health before boarding.  The days of signing a little form stating you don’t have a stomach ache or the sniffles are over.  You’re going to have to have proof of vaccination.  The gate agents and port staff will probably be more more vigilant in their observations of those who appear ill.

I believe at first, the ships will sail at less than capacity (70%?  50%?  Who knows?).  I think the demand will be such that they’ll have no problems totally booking those ships once they sail.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

With the CLIA ratcheting up pressure on the CDC to treat the cruise industry the same as other travel and leisure industries, I believe there will be a threshold where the CDC acquiesces.  However, one of those thresholds will be for the ships’ crews and guests to have been vaccinated.  

I think they’re probably going to be much more stringent in showing proof of health before boarding.  The days of signing a little form stating you don’t have a stomach ache or the sniffles are over.  You’re going to have to have proof of vaccination.  The gate agents and port staff will probably be more more vigilant in their observations of those who appear ill.

I believe at first, the ships will sail at less than capacity (70%?  50%?  Who knows?).  I think the demand will be such that they’ll have no problems totally booking those ships once they sail.

I went to visit my Aunt in an assisted living place this weekend.  We have all had our vaccines.  However, I was denied access to the facility because I did not have my proof of vaccine card with me.  I'm guessing this will become more and more necessary.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I went to visit my Aunt in an assisted living place this weekend.  We have all had our vaccines.  However, I was denied access to the facility because I did not have my proof of vaccine card with me.  I'm guessing this will become more and more necessary.  

A proof of inoculation will probably be needed to enter facilities where there are those considered high risk (Assisted Living, Nursing Homes, Healthcare Facilities, etc).  I can see cruise lines doing the same because they need to show their resolve to not being a hotbed as a COVID carrier. 

Given there is no cost involved that an individual has to pay (at least in the U.S.), it's just a matter of time before we'll have most of any particular geography's residents to be inoculated.  Those who aren't, will be shut out of too many activities and venues.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Agree, I think the thresholds will be hospitalizations and deaths. COVID ain't going away, we all know that now. I just don't know the number of hospitalizations and deaths that will be sufficient to allow cruising.

There could always be two sets of rules for cruise ships...one set for fully vaccinated and one set for not fully vaccinated. Sounds complicated, but I think it is doable.

• Like 1

Destination ports are setting their own rules, and it appears that the Caribbean islands that Celebrity is sailing to in June have settled on proof of vaccination of all passengers and crew, as well as a negative PCR test 72 hours before boarding. 

I suppose a line could do a cruise to a private island/nowhere if US ports make no similar demands, but so long as negative tests are required to re-enter the US by air, I don't see that they'd let you visit multiple islands by cruise and not need to test to return. And I don't know how a ship would want to take on that volume of testing on board. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Agree, I think the thresholds will be hospitalizations and deaths. COVID ain't going away, we all know that now. I just don't know the number of hospitalizations and deaths that will be sufficient to allow cruising.

There could always be two sets of rules for cruise ships...one set for fully vaccinated and one set for not fully vaccinated. Sounds complicated, but I think it is doable.

No way, you are either fully vaccinated or you don't cruise.... If nothing else its insurance for the cruise line. Ironically I was in line this morning getting my J&J shot when I heard a couple other people talking about how they can't wait to get back to cruising again. They all said they hope the cruise lines make it mandatory for all crew and passengers

• Like 1

Is there going to be an app to actually register proof of a vaccination. When we got ours, we were told they were registered with the state likely via our drivers licenses. I was going to copy my cards and them make them laminated - I heard to not laminate the original

9 minutes ago, HowardK said:

Is there going to be an app to actually register proof of a vaccination. When we got ours, we were told they were registered with the state likely via our drivers licenses. I was going to copy my cards and them make them laminated - I heard to not laminate the original

They also told me not to laminate. You should have been giving a piece of paper to show you how to register with the CDC

31 minutes ago, HowardK said:

News today says the Biden Administration is working on something like a "vaccine passport". New York State launched their "Excelsior Pass" last week, which has a similar function, but will likely only be utilized by companies/organizations/venues within New York.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, slavetoabunny said:

It makes me sad to say that I won't be cruising as long as a vaccine is required.  I have taken a cruise twice a year for the last six years and we have always gone high end - ~$20,000 all in per trip.  I can book one hell of a vacation for that without getting on a ship.

So, the cost of a week long Disney cruise for a family of 4? (10K for small veranda room + travel, drinks, port excursions, etc)

11 hours ago, HowardK said:

70+ are getting booster shots in September ( I hope) you could laminate a copy? 

19 hours ago, HowardK said:

As soon as we received the second Pfizer dose, we went to Staples to get something to laminate our cards.  Two surprises:

1. Staples laminated our cards for us for free. (Staples and Office Depot and Office Max provide this service at all their stores although Office Depot requires  a coupon available on their website.)

2.  We were definitely told not to laminate the original as it is heat sensitive.

22 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Agree mostly, but I can see the situation where the "non-vaccinated" cruises becoming the choice of "the ships of the diseased" vs the "totally vaccinated" cruises becoming the "clean" choice.

No doubt the non-vaccinated cruises will gain some traction with those who choose to fight for that hill.  But predictably, those who actually contact COVID and those who die as a result, will put the eventual kibosh on those.  I'm sure the cruise lines will require anyone who is cruising on a "non-vaccinated" cruise stating they can not hold the cruise line responsible for the eventual and predictable outcome.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

As soon as we received the second Pfizer dose, we went to Staples to get something to laminate our cards.  Two surprises:

1. Staples laminated our cards for us for free. (Staples and Office Depot and Office Max provide this service at all their stores although Office Depot requires  a coupon available on their website.)

2.  We were definitely told not to laminate the original as it is heat sensitive.

Never heard about my vaccine card being "heat sensitive".  It's only made out of heavy paper.  So, aside from setting it on fire, that's the only heat sensitive trait about it.  I laminated mine.  I also made copies and laminated those to carry with me.  I keep the original with my passport.

I figure there are going to be some ports where I may have to show my proof of vaccine, just like showing my ID.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Why would the cruise lines even entertain the thought of "not fully vaccinated" ships. Why ask for trouble?

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, CroozFanatic said:

The vaccine was developed in 2 days back in January 2020...at least in Moderna's case.

Is that because the "ground work" was already done? I've read that the mRNA vaccines have been in development for ten years. It was only for Covid that the vaccine was "tweeked" to protect against this specific virus.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Never heard about my vaccine card being "heat sensitive".  It's only made out of heavy paper.  So, aside from setting it on fire, that's the only heat sensitive trait about it.  I laminated mine.  I also made copies and laminated those to carry with me.  I keep the original with my passport.

I figure there are going to be some ports where I may have to show my proof of vaccine, just like showing my ID.  

I stapled mine to my forehead...is that right?

• Haha 3