CLIA calls on CDC to lift US Cruise Ban

kdr69

25 minutes ago, CeleBrat said:

Therein the challenge lies. Vaccines aren't currently widely available.  All adults are not currently eligible to receive them in the US.  Children are not at all eligible.  And as a previous poster stated, the crew have no way of easily getting a vaccine either, whether in their home countries or in the US.

True on the vaccines, but that is as of today -- It will be different tomorrow, and next week, and definitely next month. Most states will very soon be offering the vaccine to any adult who wants it. Here in Texas, that happens this coming Monday -- My husband and I have been fully vaccinated already for over a month.

So even if the CDC decided today that everything could move on to phase 2 (which they ridiculously haven't even defined yet) we all know it would still be months before cruising were even a possibility since the test cruises and all that would still have to happen. By that time, the likelihood of adults who intend to be vaccinated actually being vaccinated is very, very high. For kids, they could simply require a negative test before boarding.

As for the crew, I have no doubt that the cruise lines will move heaven and earth to get all the staff and crew vaccinated if that's an obstacle between resuming revenue-generating cruising or not.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

Therein the challenge lies. Vaccines aren't currently widely available.  All adults are not currently eligible to receive them in the US.  Children are not at all eligible.  And as a previous poster stated, the crew have no way of easily getting a vaccine either, whether in their home countries or in the US.

Beginning April 5 everyone 18 + will be eligible for vaccines in Florida.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisemom2 said:

Beginning April 5 everyone 18 + will be eligible for vaccines in Florida.

Lol.  Available for scrambling to sign up for an appointment vs actually getting the vaccine are two different things.  Desantis is proud that the windows for signing up stay open for a few hours now.  Well duh, they still close, which means there are still people not able to book in, usually folks who are not super computer savvy.  And opening up to almost one third of the population (18 to 40) isn't going to help those folks 50 and over still trying to wrangle an appointment.

Most states should reach the target of 1 May for availability to all age groups, from what I gather.  That won't mean everyone will actually have been able to get the vaccine (both doses) - that will probably take another month or two to execute.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival floated a trial balloon, IMHO, when they "accidentally" posted their H&S guidelines for resumption of cruising a while back.  The reaction they got made it quite clear there was no good way to require vaccines without causing an uproar, at the time.

I think (again, IMHO) that the public is starting to come around to the idea of requiring proof of vaccinations.

I also think the cruise lines are figuring out how to get their crews vaccinated - they can't just book an appointment at CVS or Publix or walk into a FEMA site.  I don't think all those problems are 100% solved, but getting closer.

I work for the local YMCA and they had vaccines available to employees that wanted one, starting yesterday.  I got my first shot.  Maybe the cruise lines can do something comparable.

13 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I work for the local YMCA and they had vaccines available to employees that wanted one, starting yesterday.  I got my first shot.  Maybe the cruise lines can do something comparable.

Your YMCA didn't just go buy the vaccines on the open market - they got them from the State or Fed Gov't.

Cruise lines can't just go get their employees vaccinated at the YMCA, no matter how much you like the sailor from the Village People.  😉

Until there is a supply chain large and consistent enough for the cruise lines, they really can't do much for their crews.  So it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Your YMCA didn't just go buy the vaccines on the open market - they got them from the State or Fed Gov't.

Cruise lines can't just go get their employees vaccinated at the YMCA, no matter how much you like the sailor from the Village People.  😉

Until there is a supply chain large and consistent enough for the cruise lines, they really can't do much for their crews.  So it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The state of FL said it is looking into to getting vaccines for companies including cruise ship industries... info via press conference with the FL Governor this morning. 

Edited by MeganGC1983
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

The state of FL said it is looking into to getting vaccines for companies including cruise ship industries... info via press conference with the FL Governor this morning. 

For what kind of contribution?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Now that's a sensible plan, and in a month or so there won't be a supply issue any more.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And opening up to almost one third of the population (18 to 40) isn't going to help those folks 50 and over still trying to wrangle an appointment.

That's the boat I'm in. Near as I can determine, after 65+ and specific workers, my state will open it up to all ages (that are approved for the shots). I'm surprised we don't have a 50+ and 40+ tier.

Edited by HxFx
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Lol.  Available for scrambling to sign up for an appointment vs actually getting the vaccine are two different things.  Desantis is proud that the windows for signing up stay open for a few hours now.  Well duh, they still close, which means there are still people not able to book in, usually folks who are not super computer savvy.  And opening up to almost one third of the population (18 to 40) isn't going to help those folks 50 and over still trying to wrangle an appointment.

Most states should reach the target of 1 May for availability to all age groups, from what I gather.  That won't mean everyone will actually have been able to get the vaccine (both doses) - that will probably take another month or two to execute.

I have been noticing that appointment times are available longer than just 4 to 6 weeks ago here in NC.  Usually it was more like 30 mins and poof they were gone.  Now it is more like 24 to 36 hours.  To me this means that demand is down.  

I am concerned that we will have vaccines and no one willing to schedule appointments.  That time is coming and I hope you are correct that for the first 30 days of the 'everyone else' group that we match arms and shots.  We are inching closer to herd immunity.  

21 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well I did say eligible, not magically have an appointment on April 5th.  😂

32 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

For what kind of contribution?

That information, obviously, was not addressed. Just mentioned that once all ages had the opportunity to receive the vaccine and supply was there, they would be open to doing it. 

On 3/25/2021 at 11:11 AM, CeleBrat said:

For adults, that is changing rapidly.  There are currently several states where the shot is already available to all adults who want them.  In the coming days numerous states, including large states like Texas and Florida, will have it available to all adults.  By mid April at least 34 states will open it up to all adults, including California.  By late spring or early summer any adult in the US who wants the vaccine should have the opportunity to get them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Sorry I wasn't more clear.  You're right, my Y didn't buy the vaccines, they were provided by the gov't.  The Y was able to set up appointments for employees (seems like setting up appointments is kinda difficult) that we were able to select from.  The shots were given at a large space at a mall run by volunteers.

And you are also right, I do like the sailor from the Village People. 😉

Edited by ninjacat123

21 hours ago, mondello said:

Sorry, I sometimes have trouble not reading between the lines. The U.S. has ordered so many millions of doses that I don't foresee any problem getting crew vaccines later this Summer.

I may be wrong but the US ordered millions of doses for its own citizens.  Since the majority of cruise lines are foreign flagged and the crew majority from outside the US i believe they would need to purchase a supply and contract for administering the vaccine on their own. 

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

I may be wrong but the US ordered millions of doses for its own citizens.  Since the majority of cruise lines are foreign flagged and the crew majority from outside the US i believe they would need to purchase a supply and contract for administering the vaccine on their own. 

There are a number of available vaccines, at least one country has a surplus. Every major cruise ship has a doctor and medical facilities.

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

You're not wrong; however, the U.S. has about 330 million people and vaccines aren't for those under 16. The J&J vaccine is single dose, while the other 3 are 2 dose vaccines. The AstraZaneca rollout was last but we had 300 million ordered. Combined with the millions of Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J, we will have a surplus this Summer. And that isn't even accounting for those who don't want a vaccine.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 1:29 PM, BlerkOne said:

There are a number of available vaccines, at least one country has a surplus. Every major cruise ship has a doctor and medical facilities.

Unfortunately there are plenty of countries, such as Canada and most (all?) of Europe, who have a huge undersupply of the vaccine.

From a political POV, it would be a stain on ones international record to supply vaccines to cruise ship crews before supplying to your northerly neighbor or NATO friends.  No matter how much I want to cruise, I think re-opening the US-Canada border is a higher priority, and that isn't happening until Canada considers itself safe for the inrush of visitors - so herd immunity up there as well as south of the 49th parallel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

From a political POV, it would be a stain on ones international record to supply vaccines to cruise ship crews before supplying to your northerly neighbor or NATO friends.  No matter how much I want to cruise, I think re-opening the US-Canada border is a higher priority, and that isn't happening until Canada considers itself safe for the inrush of visitors - so herd immunity up there as well as south of the 49th parallel.

Thanks @ProgRockCruiser I appreciate the post.  We have been waiting for more vaccines for a while now and our supply is not keeping up with our ability to disperse.  Regardless of when cruising restarts if the border is not open or air travel is still restricted I cannot cruise.  I am in the demographics for the next vaccine phase and am just waiting for them to become available to get mine while crossing my fingers that travel restrictions start to ease at the same time. Still 342 days to my next cruise 🙏

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Thanks @ProgRockCruiser I appreciate the post.  We have been waiting for more vaccines for a while now and our supply is not keeping up with our ability to disperse.  Regardless of when cruising restarts if the border is not open or air travel is still restricted I cannot cruise.  I am in the demographics for the next vaccine phase and am just waiting for them to become available to get mine while crossing my fingers that travel restrictions start to ease at the same time. Still 342 days to my next cruise 🙏

I have relatives in Canada, so I am _very_ aware of what is (or isn't) happening up there regarding vaccinations, etc.  I can't travel to see them until the border re-opens, so I am very anxious to have that happen ASAP.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Unfortunately there are plenty of countries, such as Canada and most (all?) of Europe, who have a huge undersupply of the vaccine.

Until the world reaches herd immunity, the virus will continue to spread and mutate. Supply becomes irrelevant if people aren't willing to take the shot(s). As with toilet paper, some greedy country(ies) have bought more than they can currently use. Some vaccine is spoiling and going to waste. Let whoever is willing to step up have it. Those who miss their chance, oh well. They can get back in line.

Cruise lines aren't limited to only purchasing from 2 or 3 companies. More than a dozen covid vaccines are available with many more under development.

• Like 1