Did anybody watch the HBO Documentary "The Last Cruise"?

On 4/1/2021 at 5:37 AM, billslowsky said:

Spoilers?  There's nothing to "spoiler".

The doc is very skimpy on what barriers were set up to keep people from leaving which is a huge part of the real story.  It's really just anecdotal with a date and incidence count every so often.  As far as the crew's treatment went, it tells us nothing of why the Indonesian crew members were not allowed to leave until last, the actions of its government.

There's no revelations in this documentary, just some moments of frustration from people who are literally trapped and kept in the dark.  And then it ends.

I seem to have touched a nerve.

I meant that several people on videos tested positive during the their time on the ship and that at the end you will see that all survived, which is fantastic.

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I meant that several people on videos tested positive during the their time on the ship and that at the end you will see that all survived, which is fantastic.

You didn't touch any nerve of mine.  The documentary is bland and not much but anecdotal video clips.  

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I agree, watching this confirmed that we made the right choice with our sky loft on our Quantum Alaska sailing.  Even in a balcony cabin, it must have been terrible for those people stuck in the cabins for weeks.  I can't even imagine what it was like for the crew!

Humble brag

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Everyone but those that died.  I thought it very informative, intuitive and positive.  I think Princess did a pretty dm good job under the circumstances.  But it was very surprising how superstitious and unlearned about disease the international crew was.  I think all the lines should add training about infection disease protocols for the crew.  All the angst by crew could've been lessened.  My favorite couple was the short grey haired lady, a half full gal if ever there was one.  I saw her when they returned off the ship back in February or whenever it was on Fox and like her attitude.  I guess the CDC and CLIA have NOT watched it.  Pathetic!

Edited by BecciBoo

My daughter told me to watch it which I did.  When I told her I was booked on Adventure out of Nassau in June, she got extremely angry at me.  I tried to explain that with all the precautions (vaccines, testing, masks etc) we’ll be safe but she doesn’t agree.  Our conversation at her house tomorrow should be interesting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ToroAzul said:

Humble brag

I was agreeing with someone else who chose to book a suite so they would have more space if they were locked in their cabin.  We have never had this cabin before and specifically booked it for May 2021, hoping it would be our first cruise when cruising started again.  We have been quarantined on a ship in the past and the walls close in very quickly.  We have taken steps to insure if we were to be quarantined for any length of time, we will be as comfortable as we can.  You do what works for you, we will do what works for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Everyone but those that died.  I thought it very informative, intuitive and positive.  I think Princess did a pretty dm good job under the circumstances.  But it was very surprising how superstitious and unlearned about disease the international crew was.  I think all the lines should add training about infection disease protocols for the crew.  All the angst by crew could've been lessened.  My favorite couple was the short grey haired lady, a half full gal if ever there was one.  I saw her when they returned off the ship back in February or whenever it was on Fox and like her attitude.  I guess the CDC and CLIA have NOT watched it.  Pathetic!

There's a wikipedia article with some stats on it, of course, always take with a grain of salt, but the cited sources give it credibility. Title is "COVID-19 pandemic on Diamond Princess".

Of the 4,000 or so passengers and crew on board there were 14 fatalities, all passengers, and as the passengers tend to skew very old, a high prevalence of underlying medical conditions, not unusual for the age group but making them susceptible to more severe outcomes.  The infection rate was much higher for passengers than crew, whether that's due to age, health, or protective equipment, probably all of the above.

There was disagreement over who was calling the shots, the Japanese government or the cruise line.  There's a comment that in retrospect the outcomes might have better had they evacuated the ship and quarantined the passengers and crew elsewhere.  But who knew?  Their point was to keep it off the mainland.

Here is a documentary of some stories of some of those on board the Diamond Princess. They do some follow up as well.  Unfortunately they use B-Roll from many ships and lines but only cruisers would recognize that. General public wouldn’t know the difference between a Princess ship or a Carnival ship. 

17 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

One part that stood out for me was when the crewmember mentioned the rumours about plans to sink the ship with passengers and crew onboard. 

That part stood out for me too. It highlights how bad things actually were when rumors like this gain traction. People seriously believed that governments valued them so little that they would sink the ship (with them onboard) rather than render care. It says a lot about how public faith in our institutions seems to be fading.

Edited by MightyMike
  • Like 1

Diamond Princess is the poster child for anti-cruising. And the CDC is milking this all the way through the end of their CSO.

Yet the facts show it proves how little concern there should be about cruising in the covid era.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

Sadly if someone put together a similar documentary for nursing homes around the world it would make the Diamond Princess look less notable by a large margin.

What occurred on the first major outbreak outside of China should have been valuable data that could have saved thousands of lives.  If only public health agencies were quick to learn and adaptable rather than putting an emphasis on CYA and placing the blame elsewhere.    

• Like 5

4 hours ago, billslowsky said:

There's a wikipedia article with some stats on it, of course, always take with a grain of salt, but the cited sources give it credibility. Title is "COVID-19 pandemic on Diamond Princess".

Of the 4,000 or so passengers and crew on board there were 14 fatalities, all passengers, and as the passengers tend to skew very old, a high prevalence of underlying medical conditions, not unusual for the age group but making them susceptible to more severe outcomes.  The infection rate was much higher for passengers than crew, whether that's due to age, health, or protective equipment, probably all of the above.

There was disagreement over who was calling the shots, the Japanese government or the cruise line.  There's a comment that in retrospect the outcomes might have better had they evacuated the ship and quarantined the passengers and crew elsewhere.  But who knew?  Their point was to keep it off the mainland.

And I think it was a sound decision.  It acted like a hospital ship whilst they were in Japan.  I thought it was successful because so few people died, much better record than New York's nursing homes.  

3 hours ago, MightyMike said:

That part stood out for me too. It highlights how bad things actually were when rumors like this gain traction. People seriously believed that governments valued them so little that they would sink the ship (with them onboard) rather than render care. It says a lot about how public faith in our institutions seems to be fading.

Not really, it comes by way of their urban myths about their own governments or actual experience with their own governments.  Third world problem and lack of education.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Hopefully lessons were learned that won’t be repeated if another outbreak or pandemic occurs.

The DH and I have decided no more outside/inside cabins.  We rarely booked them anyway but for sure will not in the future.  Quarantine in one  would be awful. 

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Hopefully lessons were learned that won’t be repeated if another outbreak or pandemic occurs.

The DH and I have decided no more outside/inside cabins.  We rarely booked them anyway but for sure will not in the future.  Quarantine in one  would be awful. 

On my celebrity cruise in July they are not even selling inside or outside cabins, not sure how long that will last.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:29 PM, reallyitsmema said:

I agree, watching this confirmed that we made the right choice with our sky loft on our Quantum Alaska sailing.  Even in a balcony cabin, it must have been terrible for those people stuck in the cabins for weeks.  I can't even imagine what it was like for the crew!

We were joking how fortunate we were with our A1 if things went south in Spain last March

• Like 1