Disney to start to charge for Magic Bands

PescadoAmarillo

Interesting, because this where Princess got its Medallion concept (in fact, the same person spearheaded the technology for both companies). Apparently, now the same capabilities will be on a smart phone or watch. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/disney-world-magic-mobile-tickets/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2172705&utm_usr=cac0e72b3b36ff7871da123e7933745d2890104c16f547a593ccc4bf8b663544&utm_msg=feea1ca3bf604dd297f7c401a39df50e&utm_date=2021-04-01

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting news. I wonder if this is the type of update Princess is doing to the Ocean Ready app? I was told a new app will be available in April.
If the same can be done from a mobile device then I wonder if the use of the app will be free but if we don’t want to wak around with a phone we will need to buy the medallion? Speculation and guessing for now. 
Only time will tell if Princess will do something similar, but it certainly will change our Disney trips! I don’t think we have enough chargers for a full day at Disney and each of our phones. My phone always dies on me on a Disneyland day and it’s why I always get a regular room card instead of relying on opening a door with my phone. 

Edited by jennybenny

Apparently only for iPhone. Android users will have to pay for the Disney band. They do comment in the article that you will want to carry a power bank of some sort in order to have enough phone life for a full day. What a pain in the butt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Apparently only for iPhone. Android users will have to pay for the Disney band. They do comment in the article that you will want to carry a power bank of some sort in order to have enough phone life for a full day. What a pain in the butt.

I agree with you.  It does sound like a pain....especially for technically challenged folks ~~~ like my dh.   🙂

Once upon a time, I was lounging poolside when the cruise director said "a bottle of champagne for the next person who jumps into the pool fully clothed."  I jumped out of the lounger and into the pool.  That was in the days before cell phones.  I couldn't do that if I have to carry a cell phone (and a Kindle) with me everywhere.

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Once upon a time, I was lounging poolside when the cruise director said "a bottle of champagne for the next person who jumps into the pool fully clothed."  I jumped out of the lounger and into the pool.  That was in the days before cell phones.  I couldn't do that if I have to carry a cell phone (and a Kindle) with me everywhere.

Cannot imagine anyone doing that for the "champagne" Princess gives out.  Even the CD staff jokes about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Apparently only for iPhone.

I don't understand why many companies do this when there are far more Android phone users.  Must be getting incentives from Apple methinks.  

In reality, it will likely come out for Android later on as they need to satisfy the market demand.

I don't think this is like the old Beta vs VHS war that Beta ultimately lost.  (Yes, I am "of an age").

ETA:  I have toured WDW with Smartphone and no Disney Band as we were off-site.  Need the phone for monitoring ride statuses and FastPass bookings.  Never had a battery issue, but then don't take a lot of pictures or videos.  The Disney App worked fine for me without needing their wrist band.

Edited by Steelers36

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Cannot imagine anyone doing that for the "champagne" Princess gives out.  Even the CD staff jokes about it.

I did it for the fun of it.  I never drank that stuff, and I might still have the bottle somewhere, still untouched after decades.  It is probably no worse now than when it was bottled. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hi Mr.Steelers36,

I can because.  I know how hard the boys in the boiler room work making the Champagne fresh every Tuesday. 😋 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony 

• Haha 1

Cards will still be available for those that don't have or wish to purchase a Magic Band.  Disney has already stated that they will be adding the new functionality for Android phones, just no date for it yet.  

After all the nickel and diming at WDW, they priced us out of going. It would cost about $4-$5k to go on a trip there. That is a 2x+ increase from when we took our daughter the first time 10 years ago. The only things that have changed are price increases, lowered services, charging for every service, and diminished returns on cost. I wanted to return for their 50th Anniversary, but they priced us out. I was 1 when my parents took me the first time. I will miss it, but my bank account won't.

• Like 1

People will go to Disney because it is Disney.  An average family will not be able to afford going to Disney any more.

They are also doing away with the Magic Express - free transportation from Orlando airport to Disney resorts.

Presently, no longer able to purchase the Dining Plan.  I also purchase the Dining Plan, so I didn’t have to worry about food costs.

🇨🇦

They will still have the ability to use a Keys to the Kingdom “ticket” card, the old Magic Bands still work so you can reuse them, and in the grand scheme of a Disney vacation the extra 5.00 for a generic colored Magic Band is not going to matter much. 

Many carry their phones all the time anyway or want to purchase the fancy Magic Bands as a trip souvenir/fashion statement.