CDC Open To U.S Cruising This Summer

Cruising89143

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Vaccine Passport are the buzz words.

However desantis said:

"It's completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply be able to participate in normal society,"

So, under Ron's rules, a cruiseline can not ask for a proof of vaccine.

Well, I guess the cruise line could ask, but they could not refuse to embark a customer who decline to show proof...

What did you think of my post 107?

Kathy

2 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

However desantis said:

"It's completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply be able to participate in normal society,"

Well, I guess the cruise line could ask, but they could not refuse to embark a customer who decline to show proof...

I guess it depends on what is considered "normal society".  I think that may be restaurants, bars, movie theaters, parks, malls...not sure a vacation venue that requires a pretty decent cost to do as a normal societal task or endeavor.  Just thinking out loud!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

However desantis said:

I believe the future will be to have your vaccination to Covid entered on your regular passport just like all the other requirements for shots for different countries in the world. This is nothing new. There are many countries that require certain shots to travel. I 100% agree with vaccination requirements. Safety for all.

2 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I guess it depends on what is considered "normal society".  

I guess it depends on what the meaning of is is...

BTW, I never inhaled, either.

But, not for lack of trying.   I was just no good at smoking anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

What did you think of my post 107?

Um ... that was the post I replied to.

DeSantis has painted himself into a corner.

He wants cruise lines to operate.

The only possible, reasonable way for cruise lines to operate is to only allow vaccinated people on board.

But DeSantis has said businesses can't ask for any proof of vaccinations.

Rock  <------- you are here -------> Hard Place

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, voljeep said:

even if the CDC relents 'today' - is 7/1 still realistic for US cruises to begin ?

They've been picking up crew and supplies and working on procedures.  There are 5 or 6 ships that are normally home ported in CA sailing around in the Pacific between the CA and Mexico ports, dropping in to pick up supplies and crew once in a while.  They are not fully staffed, I'm sure, but they are seeing some action.

30 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

However desantis said:

Confess have not read it all, but going on a cruise is not "participating in normal society" IMO.  I think that phrase applies to everyday going about one's business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Confess have not read it all, but going on a cruise is not "participating in normal society" IMO.  I think that phrase applies to everyday going about one's business.

Exactly how I took that statement and said so above.  I think DeSantis is trying to support people entering restaurants and stores without having to show a vaccination passport.  He will surely work with the cruise lines for more restrictive measures if that means cruising will restart.  And I think the 2 FL Senators have already started to pave the way.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

the Princess demographic in no way resembles  the 'total population' that naysayers like to quote about vaccinated %'s

24 (7) As of March 11, 2021, 65 percent of people 25 over the age of 65 and more than 70 percent of peo-4 TAM21765 01C S.L.C. 1 ple over the age of 75 in the United States were 2 fully vaccinated against COVID–19, leading Presi3 dent Biden to state: ‘‘All adult Americans will be eli4 gible to get a vaccine no later than May 1. .

50 minutes ago, voljeep said:

for a runoff  for 2024 ? - yeah, me too ...

Well, let's see.  With two FL Senators, a FL Governor, and a FL-based ex-POTUS who can still serve one more term, all potentially running in 2024, it might make sense - by the odds - to put a dollar down on the next GOP Nominee being from FL.

Edited by Steelers36

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

He will surely work with the cruise lines for more restrictive measures if that means cruising will restart.

He could.  And, that would completely contradict what he first said.

But, as a politician, contradicting one's self is job-required.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Isn't that the same that they proposed last year.  To replace the CDC with a joint committee as far as cruise lines were concerned.

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

However desantis said:

He's the governor of FL, not sure he has any say over a private sector that doesn't headquarter in FL.  If he does, I suspect he'll just lose a bunch of cruise business.  And when the cruiselines threaten that, maybe Ron will relent.

4 minutes ago, Pamster said:

He's the governor of FL, not sure he has any say over a private sector that doesn't headquarter in FL.  If he does, I suspect he'll just lose a bunch of cruise business.  And when the cruiselines threaten that, maybe Ron will relent.

Some of the cruise lines are headquartered in Miami.

What about HIPPA laws would they apply to this?

Kathy

2 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Kathy

They have headquarters, but they're all flagged in foreign countries... I don't know where their real headquarters are.  I think Princess has a headquarters in CA, but don't know if that's the only one.  If it is, does that mean that Ron's edict would have no effect on Princess?

HIPAA is a requirement that entities cannot electronically share my health information with other entities without my permission.  If I give my information to Princess, they can't spread it around to other entities in an identifiable way, unless I say it's OK.   

25 minutes ago, Pamster said:

What I dont understand is why he thinks this helps. Surely it would only make it more dangerous and difficult for people to cruise. I get it that not everyone agrees on vaccines but the cruise industry will not want to start up like its the "old days" only to have breakouts all over the place. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Kathy

Quite a bit more than "some".  Here are the ones just in Miami alone:

Carnival Cruise Lines.
Norwegian Cruise Lines.
Royal Caribbean International.
Azamara Cruise Lines.
Celebrity Cruises.
Crystal Cruises.
Costa Cruises.
Oceania Cruises.

12 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Quite a bit more than "some".  Here are the ones just in Miami alone:

Carnival Cruise Lines.
Norwegian Cruise Lines.
Royal Caribbean International.
Azamara Cruise Lines.
Celebrity Cruises.
Crystal Cruises.
Costa Cruises.
Oceania Cruises.

Most of those you named are owned by Carnival, NCL and RCCL

Kathy

I replied to the topic, as I didn't want to offend anyone by replying to a post.

But, I don't see the point that taking a cruise is not an ordinary activity.

To me it is.

Going to the supermarket, going to a concert, staying at a resort hotel in Florida, taking a cruise from Florida ...

all ordinary activities.

Other that "I like cruising, so nothing negative applies" ... I don't see any reason taking a cruise is different than the rest.

They are all open to the public to purchase, with no special skill or license required.

Booking a resort hotel can be much more expensive than booking a princess cruise.

For instance ... 4 Seasons, Sanibel can be easily over $1500 PER NIGHT in season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Booking a resort hotel can be much more expensive than booking a princess cruise.

For instance ... 4 Seasons, Sanibel can be easily over $1500 PER NIGHT in season.

Yes, but with no slight to Princess, the Four Seasons Hotel chain is a top-of-the-market luxury hotel chain, while Princess is a very good mid-market cruise line.  Try comparing it with the most luxury top-end cruise lines. 

And, by the way, to my knowledge there is no Four Seasons in Sanibel.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Yes, but with no slight to Princess, the Four Seasons Hotel chain is a top-of-the-market luxury hotel chain, while Princess is a very good mid-market cruise line.  Try comparing your hotel with the most luxury top-end cruise lines. 

And, by the way, to my knowledge there is no Four Seasons in Sanibel. 

1 hour ago, rabin1 said:

Kathy

Its HIPAA. Not a thing. It protects ones medical information from release without there permission. If a business or cruise line wants your vaccination information you can refuse to release, but then they can refuse to let you enter, board or remain employed depending upon who is asking

• Like 1