Port Everglades These Days

mariner

Just spent some wonderful days in the warmth of 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. Obviously some changes and some not in the COVID days. Mariner's faves Harbor Cafe and Joe's have survived. Sadly, Jackson's has not. Not has Chuck's Steakhouse. Pier 66 remains a shell of a tower with work suspended. The Hilton has renovated its rooms and plans call for renovating the lobby and restaurant soon. Sadly, the pool remains too small for the place as it did 30 years ago when it was a Marriott. The Renaissance is doing its best and is fairly clean, but COVID restrictions have kept the restaurant closed. Food is served in the bar and glassware is limited. Cabs are beyond frustrating, but so too are Uber/Lyft. Boatyard is thriving. So is 15th Fisheries, if so inclined. Nice to see some ships sailing in for fueling, provisioning or minor repairs. Batteries and Bulds store gone. Bravo now a Thai/Sushi place. The luggage store has moved across from Harbor Shops to Southport. Kelleys still in business. As is Starbucks, Einsteins and Gilberts. The Wine store remains next to Publix. And Whole Food has opened at the US 1 intersection. And condos are going up all over the place. Such is South Florida.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Did you see any cruise related activities?

Ships come in for provisioning on a pretty regular basis.  We've seen HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess & Seabourn. It's always sad to see empty ships leaving port, but the people in the condos along the channel still salute with air horns and bells as usual.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, phabric said:

Is Tom Jenkins BBQ (1236 S Federal Hwy, Ft Lauderdale) still there?  This place was recommended on CC and we have enjoyed their food.

Yes. I could smell the Q while getting car washed next door

3 hours ago, mariner said:

Sadly I looked at Seabourn Odyssey for 6 days getting her sarboard side touched up

I wondered what was going on.  She was in port for much longer than most of the vessels that come in to re-supply.  One day, I saw a cherry picker at work at the stern and thought some painting or cleaning of some type was being done.  Thank you for the information.

21 hours ago, mariner said:

Sadly, Jackson's has not. Not has Chuck's Steakhouse.

Burt and Jack's:  remember them?  9/11 killed them when the public could not freely enter the Port.  Never tried Jackson's, but if I recall correctly, they went out of business pre-Covid.  Enjoyed Chuck's; great salad bar!  And, the steaks were good and reasonably priced.  

22 hours ago, Sunseeker810 said:

We love Kelly's landing too!  It was a sad day when they left Weymouth, Massachusetts.  So, we make sure to go there when we visit Florida.

The original Kelly's was in Southie. After a day at the beach, we stopped to buy me a box of fried clams.  My parents used to talk about the old Victorian structure adjacent to the yacht club, heavily damaged in hurricanes.

Strange that we fly to Florida for New England seafood - Kelly's clam chowder is the best!

Darcy

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I wondered what was going on.  She was in port for much longer than most of the vessels that come in to re-supply.  One day, I saw a cherry picker at work at the stern and thought some painting or cleaning of some type was being done.  Thank you for the information.

Burt and Jack's:  remember them?  9/11 killed them when the public could not freely enter the Port.  Never tried Jackson's, but if I recall correctly, they went out of business pre-Covid.  Enjoyed Chuck's; great salad bar!  And, the steaks were good and reasonably priced.  

The poor man got scuttled by 9/11, then the 2008 recession and his newest place was on the north end of town. He couldnt comply with Covid restrictions and closed in May. All his places were great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Strange that we fly to Florida for New England seafood - Kelly's clam chowder is the best!

I have thought that, too.  Sometimes, it's difficult to understand the thinking of some, i.e., someone patronizes Smith & Wollensky and orders the chicken entree.  

NIce update, thanks.  Have spent a fair amount of time in that area.  We were in Florida for 2 months last winter, and sadly with no cruising had no reason to go to Fort Lauderdale.

Another vote for Kelly's - great place!  Love the sub sandwiches at Laspada's 🙂

14 hours ago, torringtonwyo said:

you mentioned transportation being tough  we are cruising jan 5,2022 need a van for 8 of us from hotel unknown but close to port any suggestions or recommendations most hotels have shuttle from airport but not to port

thanks

Two UberXL (usually a van or large SUV) should get all 8 plus bags to the port.

19 hours ago, mariner said:

The hotel seems to use a shuttle that can be arranged through the valet parking guys

That is a good tip for a driving service.  When I needed a transfer from the Fort Lauderdale North to the Port, I informed the concierge of my requirement and the car was ordered:  a Lincoln Town Car in immaculate condition.  It was not expensive.  

• 1 month later...