Hotel recommendations for Southampton

windsurferfirst

6 hours ago, windsurferfirst said:

Looking for hotel recommendation for 31st July sailing. Would like to be as close to the port as we can get. Hopefully see the ship from the hotel? We are on the Regal Princess.

TIA

Princess ships are known to use Ocean Terminal. You can see the ships from the top of the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue (if you get an ocean view facing that way).

Edited by dides

Yes, this Holiday Inn is next to City Terminal and in between Mayflower and Ocean Terminals- Princess often sail from Mayflower as well as Ocean.

The windows of the hotel either face down river, so if you're awake in the early morning you can see  the ships arriving, or up river which gives a view of City and Mayflower.

Ask when you book.

We have rolled our cases from the HI to Ocean T, but I wouldn't do that for Mayflower because of all the port traffic along that road.

Much as Jo's post ...............

Whereas in other years the port schedule linked by Aulanis would cover the whole season & beyond, because of the you-know-what affecting cruises til I-don't-know-when, it currently only goes out to about a month. Bookmark that website & check from time to time.

Princess sail mainly from Ocean Cruise Terminal, which is part-owned by Carnival Corp.

But if another Carnival ship is allocated to that berth, Regal Princess will almost-certainly be at Mayflower Cruise Terminal.

But which terminal makes no odds - there's no hotel in sensible walking distance of Mayflower terminal, and much of the route is within the docks. Ocean terminal is more convenient to the city, but neither terminal is more than a £10 taxi ride from any hotel on the link at the bottom of my post.

Holiday Inn (not the HI Express's, which are out on the city limits) is a bland 1970's hotel but it's very popular with those cruising from City Cruise Terminal. It's also very convenient to both the limited sights of the walled old-town and - separated from old town by the city Bar Gate - the modern shopping streets and malls.

Premier Inn is the UKs biggest & best budget hotel chain, and In the same area as H.I is Premier Inn West Quay. And Leonardo Royal, plus Moxy's and quirky boutiques Pig-in-the-Wall and Ennio's.

If the weather's right & you're not overloaded, it's a pleasant level waterside walk from those hotels to Ocean terminal.

Room 2 is just a stroll across a park to Ocean terminal.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The attached photo shows the position of the hotels in relation to the terminals.

We have stayed at the Novotel/ Ibis hotels in the past. They are grouped around a large car park, but I’m not sure if you can leave your car there long term ie while you are on your cruise.

8F8EB45A-BFB2-4DB8-81C6-3E1E4DF3171D.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, upwarduk said:

The attached photo shows the position of the hotels in relation to the terminals.

We have stayed at the Novotel/ Ibis hotels in the past. They are grouped around a large car park, but I’m not sure if you can leave your car there long term ie while you are on your cruise.

8F8EB45A-BFB2-4DB8-81C6-3E1E4DF3171D.jpeg

I haven't stayed at the Novo/Ibis hotels for a few years, but both used to offer long term cruise parking (it was £5 a night, but that must have been 6 or 7 years back! ).

I've stayed here a number of times and it is always okay.  Rooms are decent size and clean.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/hampshire/southampton/southampton-city-centre-west-quay.html

You can't see the ships from its rooms as other buildings are in the way, but as soon as you get outside you can see any that are alongside.

If you are staying the previous night then it is very convenient for nearby restaurants and the shopping centre.

There is phone in reception for taxis to take you to the terminal.

Haven't stayed their since the pandemic though.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:30 PM, Rocky of London said:

I would go with what Richard has put......we stay there all the time now after paying to much at the Grand Harbour hotel....let us know how the cruise goes with the new restraints......we are on the Regal Princess in September.....

We’ve always found the Grand Harbour Hotel offering good deals and to be a favourable priced in comparison with the Holiday Inn.

Stayed at them both and although our preference is for the GHH always enjoyed the Holiday Inn also.

5 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We’ve always found the Grand Harbour Hotel offering good deals and to be a favourable priced in comparison with the Holiday Inn.

Stayed at them both and although our preference is for the GHH always enjoyed the Holiday Inn also.

Grand Harbour changed hands a couple of years ago, now owned by the Fattal Hotels Group.

Its short and snappy new name 😉 is "Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour".

Commonly called "Leonardo Royal", but for a while at least folk will also recognise the name Grand Harbour.

Not to  be confused with the swanky 5-star Southampton Harbour Hotel & Spa about a mile along the waterfront from Leonardo Royal, beyond Ocean Cruise Terminal, in Ocean Village.

JB 🙂

On 4/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, windsurferfirst said:

Looking for hotel recommendation for 31st July sailing. Would like to be as close to the port as we can get. Hopefully see the ship from the hotel? We are on the Regal Princess.

TIA

Regal Princess is due to sail from Ocean Terminal on 31/7. I would choose the Holiday Inn and either book a Waterfront View room or request "room overlooking front of hotel". The latter won't actually guarantee you would look towards the Ocean Terminal but will be cheaper. If you are mobile, fit and have light, wheeled cases, you could walk to Ocean Terminal from there but it is a bit of a schlep so I would get a taxi.

The Holiday Inn is pretty bland on the outside but I believe it has had a fairly recent refurb of both public areas and bedrooms. Although I haven't stayed there recently, the staff have always been very friendly and helpful in the past.

• Like 2

We are also on regal princess. We have booked a room at holiday inn the night before. Southampton cruises itinerary says it is departing from ocean cruise terminal. When you look at 3 days later it is at mayflower cruise terminal. Have booked cps parking and they say car will be at whatever terminal we return to. Hoping it does berth at mayflower on return as it is easier to get out of southampton from there, altho hopefully won't be as much traffic as normal.

9 hours ago, delgirl said:

We are also on regal princess. We have booked a room at holiday inn the night before. Southampton cruises itinerary says it is departing from ocean cruise terminal. When you look at 3 days later it is at mayflower cruise terminal. Have booked cps parking and they say car will be at whatever terminal we return to. Hoping it does berth at mayflower on return as it is easier to get out of southampton from there, altho hopefully won't be as much traffic as normal.

The port website says that most Regal Princess sailings, including britboys' cruise, depart Ocean Terminal (berth 46), but a few from Mayflower (berth 105/6) and one even from QE11 Terminal (berth 39/40).

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk//m/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

A brand new cruise terminal "Horizon Terminal," has been built where the fruit terminal stood, between City & Mayflower Terminals. I think the berth designation is 102, but it's primarily for NCL and MSC.

JB 🙂

Def holiday inn, stayed there a couple of times, ask for a waterview room. Great fry up in bistro, dinner and brekkie. 15 minute walk to Soton cbd.

Edited by NSWP

13 hours ago, John Bull said:

The port website says that most Regal Princess sailings, including britboys' cruise, depart Ocean Terminal (berth 46), but a few from Mayflower (berth 105/6) and one even from QE11 Terminal (berth 39/40).

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk//m/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

A brand new cruise terminal "Horizon Terminal," has been built where the fruit terminal stood, between City & Mayflower Terminals. I think the berth designation is 102, but it's primarily for NCL and MSC.

JB 🙂

The cruise schedule is up and running but depends which one you look at. We are on 31st July Regal Princess showing ocean terminal but mayflower for 3rd August, when we return. I know they can change at the last minute. We had a text one year the night before we were due to sail saying we were now sailing from ocean terminal instead of mayflower (this was on aurora). So you never know for definite.

My guess is that they will want to use the Ocean Terminal as much as possible in July. It has been newly expanded to take Iona so they probably will want a few dry runs for the staff to ensure everything is running smoothly before Iona's cruises start in August.

We have stayed at that Holiday Inn a number of times, mainly using loyalty points as it can be a pricy hotel (for us).  They also charge a higher price for rooms higher than the fifth floor, which I suspect you would need to see ships arrive at Ocean Terminal and all hotels seem to have become quite pricy this year, though possibly not in Southampton if there are less ship turn arounds.  Decent well placed hotel though.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:47 PM, Ray66 said:

I've never stayed there but I believe you can see the ships from the Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue.

This is true, and this may sound a bit obvious but you need to ask for a seaview room which are slightly more expensive.

Lol John