Cyprus is getting Covid slammed

As if those booked on summer sailings don’t have enough to worry about, for the Jewel sailings scheduled to begin in July out of Cyprus, the country is among the hardest hit (per 100K) as April comes to an end.

In the race to vaccinate it looks like the variants have taken the lead.  Wishing Cyprus and the world the best.  However, I wonder if this current spike will seriously hinder that Mediterranean plan to resume.  

I think that first month of sailing if not more was sold out.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson

8 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

As if those booked on summer sailings don’t have enough to worry about, for the Jewel sailings scheduled to begin in July out of Cyprus, the country is among the hardest hit (per 100K) as April comes to an end.

In the race to vaccinate it looks like the variants have taken the lead.  Wishing Cyprus and the world the best.  However, I wonder if this current spike will seriously hinder that Mediterranean plan to resume.  

I think that first month of sailing if not more was sold out.

Eddie

Where are you getting your info?  Current population of Cyprus is shown as 1,214,401,  New cases as of 24 April 773, new deaths as of 23 April - 1,

Slammed? don't think  so.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/cyprus/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Where are you getting your info?  Current population of Cyprus is shown as 1,214,401,  New cases as of 24 April 773, new deaths as of 23 April - 1,

Slammed? don't think  so.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/cyprus/

I think the shape of the curve and size compared to previous trends may worry some:

image.png.3b358474f4bfda3738300610e0c25470.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Cyprus currently has a 7-D moving average of 100 cases per 100,000 per day. This appears to be the highest rate globally, but is less than half of what curaçao was at its peak (210).

source: https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=cyp&areasRegional=usnj&areasRegional=usnd&areasRegional=ussd&cumulative=0&logScale=0&per100K=1&startDate=2020-02-01&values=cases

This doesn’t necessarily say anything about the conditions- but has been a leading indicator to hospitalizations/deaths per-vaccine. Their rollout is behind the US and UK. Which may be why they’re imposing a partial lockdown. 

All that said- still lots of time for things to turn around.

Edited by AtlantaAlly

Guest BigRoger

Well can only go on sample size of 2 and we are not going until sept and Oct but it certainly isn’t putting us off... we’ll be vaccinated, in a bubble on board, only have very limited time in Cyprus itself.... and the numbers are such that following laws of movement in big and small numbers.... in a months time they could be at the bottom of the world ranking per 100,000... Its just a lottery for everyone at the minute and it’s a case a making best guesses and plans.... and then hoping!

Edited by BigRoger

9 minutes ago, BigRoger said:

Well can only go on sample size of 2 and we are not going until sept and Oct but it certainly isn’t putting us off... we’ll be vaccinated, in a bubble on board, only have very limited time in Cyprus itself.... and the numbers are such that following laws of movement in big and small numbers.... in a months time they could be at the bottom of the world ranking per 100,000... Its just a lottery for everyone at the minute and it’s a case a making best guesses and plans.... and then hoping!

But when a vacation costs that much some people  don't want to chance the lottery on guesses when their plans may be well restricted as to what you can do and see at each port. There has to be a point where it's just not worth that chance..............and I believe right now we are still at the level.

Way to many unknowns still !

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

Guest BigRoger
2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But when a vacation costs that much some people  don't want to chance the lottery on guesses when their plans may be well restricted as to what you can do and see at each port. There has to be a point where it's just not worth that chance..............and I believe right now we are still at the level.

Way to many unknowns still !

Of course.... it’s personal choice.... the unknown is still unknown until it’s not - of course the port/ can do or not is a slightly different argument than that put forward previously - it was about Covid rates and propensity to want to cruise or not... but it’s even more subjective when you get into what your preferences are for what you think you might or might not be able to do on the cruise itself onboard or on shore!

1 hour ago, BigRoger said:

I think you are wise to wait to book until the Fall.  Maybe, get a refundable deposit. Hopefully, there will be more vaccine rollout by then.

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

Where are you getting your info?  

Same places everyone else is.  In the petrie dish known as Cyprus,  they are getting slammed.  

I was was just trying to point out that the decision to allow the port to open for the Jewel was made at a less severe time, when they were in more of a downtrend.  I obviously hope the numbers go back down, worldwide, but you know sometimes the politics can cause a reactive change, which is just another thing this summers cruisers have to worry about.  

Eddie

Cyprus is going on lockdown today: 

"The new lockdown will come into effect Monday morning and run until May 9, Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou told reporters. 

A nighttime curfew will start at 9 p.m., from 11 p.m. previously, and run until 5 a.m. the next day. "

So July cruise could be doable if the cases go down by then. 

8 hours ago, crazyank said:

I agree, 65 per 100k is not worth the panic. That being said here in California we are at 5 per 100k per day and some politicians are still running around as if the sky is falling. Looks like our Governor, Newsom, will be in a recall election this fall. He will most likely not be recalled but it is all about his ridiculous lockdowns and mask mandates.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, little britain said:

Passengers from the UK are in a bubble with flights ( charters so RCI passengers only) and transfers included.  So little chance of mixing with the locals. 

Hasn’t been made a requirement though so will still be some who don’t  - I’m booked on it and travelling out a week beforehand (although there’s no reduction in cost if you don’t take the flights and transfers though so may not be many that do this).

Guest BigRoger

I guess the bottom line is that it’s simply great news that we will have cruising here in Europe this summer and the opportunity to (safely) have a Greek isles cruise or two.... we still have fingers crossed that sense will prevail over the pond and cruising will restart towards end of summer with everyone being safely vaccinated on board, masked as necessary etc so we can all be safe... but as the only decision a cruiser can make is to book or not that’s what we’ll do and then simply hope....

2 minutes ago, BigRoger said:

I guess the bottom line is that it’s simply great news that we will have cruising here in Europe this summer and the opportunity to (safely) have a Greek isles cruise or two.... we still have fingers crossed that sense will prevail over the pond and cruising will restart towards end of summer with everyone being safely vaccinated on board, masked as necessary etc so we can all be safe... but as the only decision a cruiser can make is to book or not that’s what we’ll do and then simply hope....

Well said

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger
15 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Well said

Hope to see you on Jewel in December! if the US let us in then... 

Edited by BigRoger

9 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

That’s fine- but “areas in Germany” are not a country. 

OK nitpicker, Germany as a whole is at 167.6 per 100,000  info from the Robert Koch-Institut: COVID-19-Dashboard.  Happy now?

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

OK nitpicker, Germany as a whole is at 167.6 per 100,000  info from the Robert Koch-Institut: COVID-19-Dashboard.  Happy now?

No I’m not happy because you are inaccurately representing data you don’t understand. You are comparing the 7D case total vs the 7D daily moving average. You are comparing the total number per week (167.6) instead of the number per day (23.9). 

Germany: ~20k 7d average/83.02M x 100k = ~25 cases/100,000/day

Cyprus: >100 cases/100,000/day.

If you would prefer to compare in your metric: Cyprus has >700 cases/100,000/7days. Germany is 167/100,000/7days. 

Therefore: Cyprus has a rate of 4 times as many daily cases per 100,000 persons  as Germany does. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BigRoger said:

These cruises and NCL from Athens are still several weeks away. Greece seem to be doing well. A seven night cruise calling at a couple of Greek islands will do fine.

• Like 1