4/29/21 so, this is what the CDC says about cruising

marshhawk

21 hours ago, Trueblueky said:

98% of crew and 95% of passengers (so all adult passengers) -- ok.  Let's cruise!

It's been debated in another thread exactly what 95% of passengers means.  Is it 95% of adult passengers, and 100% of unvaccinated kids.  Or is it 95% of all passengers, thus leaving the extra 5% for kids

45 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's been debated in another thread exactly what 95% of passengers means.  Is it 95% of adult passengers, and 100% of unvaccinated kids.  Or is it 95% of all passengers, thus leaving the extra 5% for kids

There shouldn't be any debate.  The CDC rule is 95% of all passengers and 98% of all crew.  They are not going to allow more than 5% of passengers to be unvaccinated.  If passenger load is 2000, for example, 100 of them can be unvaccinated (children or others that can't be vaccinated).

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

There shouldn't be any debate.  The CDC rule is 95% of all passengers and 98% of all crew.  They are not going to allow more than 5% of passengers to be unvaccinated.  If passenger load is 2000, for example, 100 of them can be unvaccinated (children or others that can't be vaccinated).

I hope that will work for someone like me who does not want the vaccine. I have good reason for not wanting it. I am keeping those details to myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

I agree with you,  but there is the pro family contingent that wants to make sure that their little darlings can cruise ASAP.  So their interpretation was since kids can't get vaccinations, they should be exempt from the CDC rule.  While others like you and me are looking at it as 95% vaccinated and 5% not, with the 5% including kids and non vaccinated adults. Either way it's speculative at this point since the CDC was not crystal clear. 

31 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I agree with you,  but there is the pro family contingent that wants to make sure that their little darlings can cruise ASAP.  So their interpretation was since kids can't get vaccinations, they should be exempt from the CDC rule.  While others like you and me are looking at it as 95% vaccinated and 5% not, with the 5% including kids and non vaccinated adults. Either way it's speculative at this point since the CDC was not crystal clear. 

How could they be more clear than saying 95%? They did not say 95% of those eligible, though they could have if that was what they meant.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

I hope that will work for someone like me who does not want the vaccine. I have good reason for not wanting it. I am keeping those details to myself.

As you should.  There are other vaccines people get for personal reasons and no one should be required to disclose medical information

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How could they be more clear than saying 95%? They did not say 95% of those eligible, though they could have if that was what they meant.

Since many folks book months out, when would one be told they made it into the 5% no vax pod?  Why should they reserve that for kids?  Kids aren't revenue machines.

• Like 1

If they were still holding on to someone's money, maybe they could just move the cruise without penalty.

I really am hoping that Carnival will work with this.  Prior reports from Carnival management stated that they would not do this, and that they would sail from non US ports.  And then I would want my money back.  They know that the vaccine works, and I cannot understand when trying to restart cruises why they would risk the health of not only cruisers, but their own staff.  It's called doing the right thing, until we can all figure out exactly what this "thing" is.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly.   There are others that want their family to be able to cruise ASAP and if their kids were included in the 5%, who knows how it would be determined which 5% were eligible. 

41 minutes ago, mredandchis said:

Wondering how they will handle the cruises that are currently booked? They didn't question me about being vaccinated or not on any that I have booked.

Check in online is currently at 30 days out, so that is when you would be questioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

Not wanting it and not being able to get it for a verifiable and documented medical reason are two entirely different things.  I would suspect the latter may win out over the prior for a berth on the ship.  Just my opinion.  

My bet is that they do what they are going to make the rule what Princess and Celebrity have in Europe: All over 18 have to be vaccinated.  Under 18 is going to have to have a positive test.

My concern is how they are going to get the crew vaccinated in order to be able to cruise.  The vax is not widely available in countries other than the US and the UK.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I understand the pro-family contingent wants their little ones to go, but 95% of passengers is not 95% of adult or vaccine eligible passengers.  Otherwise, the CDC would have said just that. Unfortunately, a parent's wish list for eligibility does not make it so.  The point is to get as close to a 100% vaccinated passenger cohort as possible.  Those folks with kids can seek out cruise lines that choose to go the "unvaccinated" route (there will certainly be some) or wait.  It's just a function of the circumstances.

Edited by harkinmr

3 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I understand the pro-family contingent wants their little ones to go, but 95% of passengers is not 95% of adult or vaccine eligible passengers.  Otherwise, the CDC would have said just that. Unfortunately, a parent's wish list for eligibility does not make it so.  The point is to get as close to a 100% vaccinated passenger cohort as possible.  Those folks with kids can seek out cruise lines that choose to go the "unvaccinated" route (there will certainly be some) or wait.  It's just a function of the circumstances.

Fully agree and I think that Carnival will start with their two ships in Galveston with the 95% route and if DeSantis keeps doing what he is doing in FLA, then MIA and PC will go with the test route.  This will delay the sailings, but also allow a higher percentage of non vaccinated,  opening things up for kids as well as those who have refused the jab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

My bet is that they do what they are going to make the rule what Princess and Celebrity have in Europe: All over 18 have to be vaccinated.  Under 18 is going to have to have a positive test.

My concern is how they are going to get the crew vaccinated in order to be able to cruise.  The vax is not widely available in countries other than the US and the UK.

I agree with this except I think the cutoff age will be closer to 12, since vaccination ages are being lowered periodically and 12-year olds will have plenty of time to get vaccinated before mid-July.

It wasn't Carnival but another cruise line CEO who responded to the 95% rule saying on most cruises, the under-12 population is less than 5%.

59 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Or they could wait until the vaccines are approved for younger and younger children. I believe they are currently hoping to apply for approval for 12-15 year olds. I'm sure they will after that continue to try to go younger and younger.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here's an article I stumbled across regarding the CDC 5% rule and kids.

https://www.porthole.com/did-the-cdc-just-kick-kids-off-cruise-lines/

The sooner that they have approval for vaccinations for younger children the better. It would be nice if it happened before the start of the new school year. The fact that it would also end this problem for cruise lines is just a nice extra benefit. 12-15 approval may very well be soon. I hope the approval for even younger children does not take too much longer.

15 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

How are you going to handle not being in the 5% pool. If Carnival say's sorry we have filled the non vaccinated allotment are you going to just take a FFC or refund ? No idea how they will choose but a lot of unhappy cruisers i think,

I am now seeing articles that the ports are going to be vaccinating the cruise ship employee's and crew. I believe both in Texas and Florida. This a Very Good thing on the way to the 98% number the CDC want's to allow cruising to resume. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here's an article I stumbled across regarding the CDC 5% rule and kids.

https://www.porthole.com/did-the-cdc-just-kick-kids-off-cruise-lines/

The author of that article was sure trying to raise peoples' temperatures.  They failed to even mention that cruise lines can proceed with test cruises and then revenue sailings with unvaccinated passengers, including kids.  Some lines may go for it.  Everyone wanted the CDC to reflect the impact of vaccinations, then they do, and people STILL complain.  Sheesh!