CDC-update May 5th

Tjcalley

23 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Not true.  Did you see a manager with an angry eye watching closely workers around buffet area to make sure everything is served properly?  Now picture a safety officer doing the same routine to cruisers: walking around a dinner table with a stick (like in the "Wall" movie), and striking each individual on each occasion of disobedience when trying to move a rag down or even around of air intake area (AKA a nose).

Sounds more like a nun back in the day! 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

We know it isn't the left.

Oh please... There's fox news and newsmax on the right.   The left has NY time, NY post, Washington post, every city newspaper, AP, CNN, MSNBC, pbs, and list goes on and on.  And that list doesn't even include social media.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, skridge said:

The hospitalizations have plummeted since the vaccine came out.  Hundreds of millions of people have gotten the vaccine with very few side effects.  The only reason many have not gotten the vaccine is because they received their marching orders from someone who is no longer a politician and his entire family has gotten the vaccine.

FYI Its been 5 months.  Time to move on.  It may make you surprised to know that I voted for our former president and guess what? I got the vaccine!!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Oh please... There's fox news and newsmax on the right.   The left has NY time, NY post, Washington post, every city newspaper, AP, CNN, MSNBC, pbs, and list goes on and on.  And that list doesn't even include social media.

OAN and more. You confuse media that tells the truth as having a left slant.

How many channels can you watch at the same time. Don't get me started on social media with all the dark web sites.

• Like 2

Just now, jean87510 said:

FYI Its been 5 months.  Time to move on.  It may make you surprised to know that I voted for our former president and guess what? I got the vaccine!!

So did he, in total secrecy. What was he ashamed of?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

Get vaccinated but still wear a mask.. The CDC is a political pawn and a complete joke.

I'm so glad that finally the majority stared to understand that.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I'm so glad that finally the majority started to understand that.

It's the never ending pandemic as long as politicians can keep sending out our tax money  to their donors and friends in "covid relief" bills.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, skridge said:

To many were done with restrictions before they even happen, which is why we are in the mess we are in right now.  We are probably never going to get to herd immunity because of the we are done with restrictions crowd is also the I'm not taking the vaccine crowd.  Same crowd.

The CDC makes clear that it expects guests and crew, as well as port personnel, to wear masks in indoor and outdoor areas except for brief periods while eating and drinking and says that "removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order." - 2-hour (formal or not) dinner anyone? or a dinner with Captain or officers?  Bye, bye, lunch with a friend and a bottle of nice white wine...

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

It's the never ending pandemic as long as politicians can keep sending out our tax money  to their donors and friends in "covid relief" bills.

Exactly!!!  This is their excuse to toss money to their donors.  It looks like the cruise lines aren't in on that game.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, skridge said:

Your choice is screwing it up for everyone that just wants it to be over.  Because of your choices we are going to be dealing with this for many years to come.

We were going to be dealing with this for years to come regardless. Its a virus. You aren't going to stop it.  The vast majority of the most vulnerable have been vaccinated now. We have treatments that work. We have had thousands at sporting events that didn't turn into a "super spreader" event. It's time to start opening things up.  For those that don't get vaccinated I can respect that and it is their choice weighing the risks. At the very least cruise lines should be able to operate with vaccinated crew and guests without all the restrictions.  You and your alter ego like to sit there and tell everyone how to live, blame one group if people for a virus spreading and its beyond ridiculous. 

And now we can cue up your "millions of dead" comment. But first, yes it sucks that so many have died from this virus. There wasn't enough known about the virus at the start and it cost lives. Now we know so much more and have vaccines to help, thus the deaths and hospitalizations have dropped significantly.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, d12j28 said:

. Now we know so much more and have vaccines to help, thus the deaths and hospitalizations have dropped significantly.

Until they surge again. How many waves have there been?

India is still running over 3500 deaths/day.

52 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

The CDC didn't shut down hospitals and then tell them to submit plans as a condition to reopen and frankly, comparing cruise lines with hospitals is apples and oranges. Sure, the cruise lines could have submitted plans a year ago, but do you honestly think the CDC would have just said "sure, no problem, go back to work"? If the CDC will not let NCL sail now with 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, what, exactly, could they have possibly submitted a year ago that would have been acceptable to the CDC?

I have really respected your knowledge and experience over the years and I still do, but I don't understand putting all the blame on the cruise industry and giving the CDC a complete pass on this.

I am using hospitals as an example of how a regulated industry responds to a new set of regulations.  They don't wait for a set of detailed instructions from an agency that has no experience operating their business to tell them how to do their business.  But the cruise lines kept waiting for the NSO to disappear, and then the CSO to disappear, without having done a single thing other than get the plans in place for their crew, because this was costing them money, to set up a plan.

Did you read the actual No Sail Order revision from April, 2020?  It clearly lists the exact same types of requirements that are now in the "Covid operations manual", just in general requirements, not specific actions, and says that these are "required for the continued obtaining of free pratique", which means that if the cruise lines had responded with action plans, the CDC would have likely lifted the NSO in favor of a CSO for those lines that had responded, and had their plans approved.  Yes, if there had been dialog back a year ago, then cruising would have restarted far sooner.

As for what plan could they have submitted a year ago that would have been acceptable to the CDC?  How about the one they've been given by the CDC, which covers both vaccinated and non-vaccinated crew and passengers.    Start at this point, and generate data, and then apply for modifications, and reduce the cost, but no, we would rather sit tight and hope it goes away.  And, if the plans had been submitted a year ago, the terms of the plans would be far less onerous, since the companies would not have burned through half as much cash keeping the ships idle and hoping it would all go away.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

The below is ridiculous:

"The CDC also suggests as a best practice that face-to-face interactions between crew and passengers be reduced "to the extent possible." - aren't crew humans, too?  It's not enough for them to work 12-or more-hour shifts without day off for 6 months, but now they even cannot communicate (worse than in a prison!).

I said I think we should be cruising with vaccinated people ASAP.  Make sure everyone is vaccinated and I say #letuscruise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I have really respected your knowledge and experience over the years and I still do, but I don't understand putting all the blame on the cruise industry and giving the CDC a complete pass on this.

Do I agree with all of the requirements set forth in the Covid operations manual? No.  But then, I didn't agree with all of the requirements of the VSP that I worked under on cruise ships, either, but I accepted that they were the requirements, and got on with the job.  It's not my job to study epidemiology, so I can't make totally educated decisions as to what is "best practice" to mitigate infectious disease.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Do I agree with all of the requirements set forth in the Covid operations manual? No.  But then, I didn't agree with all of the requirements of the VSP that I worked under on cruise ships, either, but I accepted that they were the requirements, and got on with the job.  It's not my job to study epidemiology, so I can't make totally educated decisions as to what is "best practice" to mitigate infectious disease.

I agree. I think a bunch of these Cruise CEOs should be terminated. You are exactly right-a regulated industry should be able to come up with their own proposed operating plans in over a year. Its their industry. If nothing else, they can point to their attempts to reach a compromise. Obviously, they were all just hoping this would all just magically disappear so they could resume operations as if a pandemic,  still raging in a world they still operate in, never occurred. Kick 'em to the curb.

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1