Which June 2022 itinerary should we choose?

amypet

Our family of 3 (2 adults, 1 teen) are looking at 2 Celebrity cruises next June and are torn about which one to take.

Both are on the Reflection, have 2 sea days and both begin and end in Rome.

First cruise: 11 Night Italy, Turkey & Greek Islands June 13 - Ports - Rome, Sicily, Sea day, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul (overnight), Ephesus, Athens, Sea day, Naples, Rome

Second cruise: 10 Night Italy, Greece, Croatia and Montenegro June 24 - Ports - Rome, Sea day, Corfu, Olympia (Katakalon), Dubrovnik, Kotor,  Sea day, Sicily, Naples, Florence, Rome.

Any thing that you guys think makes one better than the other? The 11 night is about $2k more.

You could do both, a b2b and really make that long flight worthwhile. Both excellent itineraries with beautiful ports-of-call. If I were to do only one and had not seen any of those places, I would choose the 11 night with an overnight in Istanbul. I really enjoy overnights in Europe. 

You will not be disappointed with either cruise.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Thanks 1

There isn't a bad port on either itinerary, but not knowing your cruising history it's hard to give an opinion.  [But this being Cruise Critic, I will anyway!]  If this is you first cruise in the area, the first itinerary looks outstanding – except for the ports in Turkey which is a political and Covid problem spot at the moment.  One can hope that they will have gotten Covid under control by the time you sail, but the political situation seems more firmly entrenched.  The other itinerary appeals more to me [since I have already been to Istanbul and Ephesus] and seems more likely to go off as planned since Greece and Croatia are already open to Americans.  It has the benefit of adding Florence, which is definitely among the top 10 cities for a first visit [and is small enough that you see a lot of it in one day]

• Like 3

I’m kind of with Host Jazzbeau. I really like the first itinerary. Turkey could be a train wreck, though. Ephesus could (could) be OK even if there are issues in Istanbul. But hard to say. But, if you can go early or stay late, you can see the jewel of the second itinerary. Most of the highlights of Florence are an easy walk from the train station, so you can day trip it, or look at overnight options from Rome, and see Florence. 

• Like 1

We actually just booked the June 24 cruise. I picked it is because it has a bit of diversity in the port days and gave some opportunities for relaxing as well as good adventure. Nothing against the other cruise though. 

• Like 1

I would be wary of the first cruise...you may have an overnight in Istanbul, but it is really only 24 hours.  Your second morning is a Sunday, and greatly to my disappointment, the Grand Bazaar is not open Sunday.  And the tour did not offer any substitute, just left us to wander the mostly closed neighborhood.  EM

• Like 1

If price is a consideration, perhaps you may want to have your TA check all of the available group rates.  You may be able to save some money by switching within your category, such as from a 1C to a 2C.  I’m a little surprised that you are finding such a large difference on the same ship on dates that are close together. Both look like great cruises, but I would pick the second one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amypet said:

First cruise: 11 Night Italy, Turkey & Greek Islands June 13 - Ports - Rome, Sicily, Sea day, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul (overnight), Ephesus, Athens, Sea day, Naples, Rome

Second cruise: 10 Night Italy, Greece, Croatia and Montenegro June 24 - Ports - Rome, Sea day, Corfu, Olympia (Katakalon), Dubrovnik, Kotor,  Sea day, Sicily, Naples, Florence, Rome.

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I would be wary of the first cruise...you may have an overnight in Istanbul, but it is really only 24 hours.  Your second morning is a Sunday, and greatly to my disappointment, the Grand Bazaar is not open Sunday.  And the tour did not offer any substitute, just left us to wander the mostly closed neighborhood.  EM

I was going to recommend the 1st one, since Santorini surely beats Olympia, and you'd have to travel to Florence, which translates into a rushed day, but if the Grand Bazaar is closed.... my "vote", reluctantly, goes with the 2nd.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, amypet said:

Our family of 3 (2 adults, 1 teen) are looking at 2 Celebrity cruises next June and are torn about which one to take.

Any thing that you guys think makes one better than the other? The 11 night is about $2k more.

I would definitely pick #2 we did most of the ports on our last European cruise 5 years ago , had no knowledge of Dubrovnik or Kotor before the cruise and really loved both walled cities, our favorite excursion was Florence we booked a tour with papillon with fellow roll call passengers, best tour we ever did included Pisa , Florence, skip the line to see museum with David and even wine tasting for just 100 a person. We had 8 in a brand new Mercedes van.

• Like 1

I’ll disagree that because the Grand Bazaar is closed Sunday then reconsider that cruise. The ship gets in at 1100 on Saturday which gives you all afternoon. As for Sunday, there are many sites such as Hagia Sophia that are open. And by the way, the traffic is Much less Sundays!

So personally, I’d go with the 1st itinerary because I think Istanbul is one of the best ports in the Med and many don’t get there. 

But in reality, you have great choices. I’ll also disagree that going to Florence in one day is rushed. We did the ‘On Your Own’ tour where the ship took us there by bus and bac, and we had 7hrs there. Your in port Livorno for 9hrs which gives you at least 5-6hrs in Florence. we got tickets ahead in the museums we wanted to visit and just walked in. which is a Must since you don’t want to waste time in line. Easy as pie.

Den

• Like 2

And here I go with supporting Florence after saying the 1st itinerary is my choice…….I agree 1 day is not enough, but neither is 2 or 3 or 4 days or……

I was able to spend 7d in Florence the 1st time there on my own. then was there for 3d on a tour, great. then the 1d On Your Own off a ship. Again great. You just have to focus on fewer things and there are 1,418 ‘things’ to do there. 

I’d not miss going to Florence and Not go on some more local tour out of Livorno if that’s the itinerary choice. So much of it is walking-only and its just fun wandering, and guess what……there’s Never enough time! 

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And here I go with supporting Florence after saying the 1st itinerary is my choice…….I agree 1 day is not enough, but neither is 2 or 3 or 4 days or……

I was able to spend 7d in Florence the 1st time there on my own. then was there for 3d on a tour, great. then the 1d On Your Own off a ship. Again great. You just have to focus on fewer things and there are 1,418 ‘things’ to do there. 

I’d not miss going to Florence and Not go on some more local tour out of Livorno if that’s the itinerary choice. So much of it is walking-only and its just fun wandering, and guess what……there’s Never enough time! 

Den

Yes I definitely would love to spend a few days in Florence, trip is worth it just to see David . Hopefully we will return.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Absolutely agree. Florence is a gem and my favorite city!

• Like 1

I believe it’s LaSpezia rather than Livorno which does make Florence a long day.

We have booked the 11 night cruise but on the 4th of July. Istanbul, Athens and Santorini made the decision for me . Ephesus looks great as well.

as for Turkey, I wouldn’t be worried about instability in that area. It’s always been like that and Europeans holiday there all the time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deenoob said:

I believe it’s LaSpezia rather than Livorno which does make Florence a long day.

We have booked the 11 night cruise but on the 4th of July. Istanbul, Athens and Santorini made the decision for me . Ephesus looks great as well.

as for Turkey, I wouldn’t be worried about instability in that area. It’s always been like that and Europeans holiday there all the time. 

I understand the concern about Istanbul, but agree that Turkey has always had its moments. Certainly a place I want to see. And, I want to stand in the middle of the Bosphorus Bridge with one foot in Europe and one foot in Asia. If only for a moment, I could feel multinational.

Like you, Athens and Santorini, but also Sicily, are big draws for us.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 3

Each itinerary has a lot to offer, and you have enough time to research each port once you make your choice.  Both cruises are exceptional, so make a decision, then promise yourself that you will return.  I had to do that so many times, as Europe is filled with wonderful places to visit.  You are going to love either one because each represents special places that create lifelong memories.  I try to visit Europe each year because there is just so much history, culture etc. to see and do.  Of course Covid changed our plans, and we had to cancel many cruises.  What a wonderful journey you will have to plan for your family; that’s half the fun of a trip!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Absolutely agree. Florence is a gem and my favorite city!

That’s why I wonder if they have time before or after the cruise. It’s not a hard train ride from Rome to Florence, and the old city is an easy walk from the train station. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, amypet said:

@Deenoob  I believe it’s La Spezia rather than Livorno which does make Florence a long day.

La Spezia it is....

10 Days Mediterranean-West

Celebrity Cruises • Celebrity Reflection
Rome/Civitavecchia, Corfu, Katakolon, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Messina, Naples, La Spezia, Rome/Civitavecchia
2 departure dates: Jun 3, 24 2022

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, markeb said:

That’s why I wonder if they have time before or after the cruise. It’s not a hard train ride from Rome to Florence, and the old city is an easy walk from the train station. 

True, but that decision would be up to the OP.
We have been to Florence many times, but we either drove our car or took the train. There is so much to see and do there depending on one's personal interests. I would agree with @Denny01that round trip bus transportation from the ship would be a great way to see some of the “highlights” of Florence, but a return trip (or trips) would definitely be needed, Imo. 

• Like 1

We are doing the Italy, Turkey, and Greek Islands cruise on September 5th.  My husband has always wanted to see Greece, and although I have childhood memories of Istanbul, I'm dying to see it as an adult!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, amypet said:

Put down another vote for Cruise 1.  Although both would certainly be wonderful experiences, i believe the first itinerary is superior.  For me, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul and Ephesus far surpass Dubrovnik and Florence.  With proper planning, you'll have no problems seeing everything Istanbul has to offer with the not so optimal days visiting.  Santorini is absolutely beautiful in every direction and Mykonos was a wonderful beach/town visit day.  Now $2K more, that's quite steep for one extra day, but if my budget afforded it, I would still take cruise 1.  But either option at the end will still be a wonderful trip.

Edited by ShawninFL
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

We are doing the Italy, Turkey, and Greek Islands cruise on September 5th.  My husband has always wanted to see Greece, and although I have childhood memories of Istanbul, I'm dying to see it as an adult!

Any suggestions on how you would spend your time in Istanbul?

• Like 1

I would choose cruise one. However admit having been to all but Istanbul. Both trips are great. 

The politics are dodgy in Turkey but admit to have booked trips to similar countries with dodgy politics such as Thailand & other topical middle eastern countries. If we limited ourselves to democratic, inclusive countries we would have limited trips. 

La Spezia is an easy train ride to Cinque Terra although appreciate for a newbie Florence would be the place. I have been a few times and it can be busy if too many ships are in & the Europeans on holiday (July/ August).

Edited by hawkesbaynz
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Any suggestions on how you would spend your time in Istanbul?

I have no idea yet about how to spend the overnight in Istanbul, but would love to crowd source ideas. 🙂