Virtuosa maiden voyage

Stu UK

On 5/22/2021 at 12:16 AM, ziggyuk said:

That's fantastic thank you, it's much better value to buy in advance as you get 140 euro for £72.

That's really helped me decide 🤩

The closest onboard looks to be £140 for £100 so big difference.

I'm slightly confused, as i understood the credit was for the whole of your party (daughter and I) but when i've come to pay it shows a tick box for both our names (which then orders two passes) do we need two - or do we share one and it doesn't matter whose name it goes under?  Thank you

3 minutes ago, swimming with spaniels said:

I'm slightly confused, as i understood the credit was for the whole of your party (daughter and I) but when i've come to pay it shows a tick box for both our names (which then orders two passes) do we need two - or do we share one and it doesn't matter whose name it goes under?  Thank you

My understanding is you can't split the money between cards but those in the same cabin can use the credit off the primary card but obviously that card must be present at point of use.
I believe the bowling lanes are per lane so that's not a problem, the shoe hire is per person but from the wording, the person who has the credit can purchase for those in the cabin.

I just ordered one pass and selected my own name as I am the lead passenger. 

I would just put it on the card of the person who will use it most if it wont be equal.

I hope we will get £140 credit as I find it a bit strange they say it's 140 Euro/Dollar credit for £72 when the onboard currency is sterling.

If they convert it onboard I guess we will get about £130 credit.

7 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

My understanding is you can't split the money between cards but those in the same cabin can use the credit off the primary card but obviously that card must be present at point of use.
I believe the bowling lanes are per lane so that's not a problem, the shoe hire is per person but from the wording, the person who has the credit can purchase for those in the cabin.

I just ordered one pass and selected my own name as I am the lead passenger. 

I would just put it on the card of the person who will use it most if it wont be equal.

I hope we will get £140 credit as I find it a bit strange they say it's 140 Euro/Dollar credit for £72 when the onboard currency is sterling.

If they convert it onboard I guess we will get about £130 credit.

Thanks for replying - I'll order just one in my name then 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 12:42 PM, ziggyuk said:

For anyone worried about the insurance, you can send them the documents in advance and they can approve them, you still have to take them to port but the agent emailed me back to say they had "confirmed" my insurance in my booking.
I am only using free HSBC premier account free family worldwide insurance that covers treatment for covid (even if traveling against government advice) and also specifically says it covers UK only cruises.

Thanks, we have the same HSBC Premier insurance and from talking to the insurer I am happy we are covered for Covid, medical expenses, repatriation and UK cruises.  What did you take with you as proof of coverage that MSC were happy with please?  We have the policy booklet and I also have a Proof of Cover letter they emailed to me after our discussion on the phone.  I think I will email them to MSC to check they are happy with the cover.  Thanks for the advice.

21 minutes ago, annarack said:

Thanks, we have the same HSBC Premier insurance and from talking to the insurer I am happy we are covered for Covid, medical expenses, repatriation and UK cruises.  What did you take with you as proof of coverage that MSC were happy with please?  We have the policy booklet and I also have a Proof of Cover letter they emailed to me after our discussion on the phone.  I think I will email them to MSC to check they are happy with the cover.  Thanks for the advice.

I have not travelled yet but I sent the policy document and the "proof of cover letter" which I requested from Aviva (more of that later).

Initially I just sent the "proof of cover letter" which has the policy number on both our names on it but MSC rejected that as it has no telephone number. I then sent it again along with the policy document pointing out the telephone number. They wrote back to confirm it was accepted and added to may account but still advised I take the documents to port.

Letter of proof (don't know if your letter is the same? Do you have all those travelling listed on the letter?)

Because so many people are asking for proof of cover you can request a "letter of proof" from Aviva who provide the insurance, the letter is great as it has the policy number and all the members of your household you state in the application as traveling with you.

Use the following link and click on "ask Aviva for confirmation of cover" fill out the form and you will get the personalised letter by email within the hour.

The letter is great as it even states you are covered for UK cruises.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/insurance/products/premier-travel/

If it does not help you it might help someone as it's handy to order online.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miffy2003 said:

hovering to book the July 3rd sailing.

Do it! lol. I booked the 3rd July sailing when the cruises were first released, then decided I couldn’t wait that long so we’re now on tomorrows departure too 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you all for the valuable information especially as new to MSC.

Just a few questions if anyone can answer them please:

Does anyone know if just 1 person in the cabin can upgrade the drinks package?

Might seem a daft question but do the drinks prices for spirits include a mixer or do they add the cost on, which could take it over the £10 limit?

What breakfast options are there for room service included for fantastica cabin?

Thank you

On 5/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, Stu UK said:

Unfortunately not. However most bars make great proper coffee included on the package. 

First of it all, many thanks for you @Stu UK for the lovely review!... It is so refreshing to see cruise reviews flowing again!... Hope I can go on a cruise in 2022, once it'd to be nearly impossible this year from where I live given the current situation...

Unfortunately the coffee and gelato shop is a ship's rented space, so it runs basically as if you were purchasing from outside the ship... But at least on the Fantasia and other Meraviglia class ships they used to have such a somewhat "hidden" coffee bar on one of the 3 decks atrium environment corners (real location can vary ship to ship) where they used to sell some nice coffee and chocolate concoctions. Did you notice them having such a venue on Virtuosa? Did you capture its menu? It seems the unique missing one out the MSC regular menus, apart the pool bar menus!...

Have a nice return home!... :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I have not travelled yet but I sent the policy document and the "proof of cover letter" which I requested from Aviva (more of that later).

Initially I just sent the "proof of cover letter" which has the policy number on both our names on it but MSC rejected that as it has no telephone number. I then sent it again along with the policy document pointing out the telephone number. They wrote back to confirm it was accepted and added to may account but still advised I take the documents to port.

Letter of proof (don't know if your letter is the same? Do you have all those travelling listed on the letter?)

Because so many people are asking for proof of cover you can request a "letter of proof" from Aviva who provide the insurance, the letter is great as it has the policy number and all the members of your household you state in the application as traveling with you.

Use the following link and click on "ask Aviva for confirmation of cover" fill out the form and you will get the personalised letter by email within the hour.

The letter is great as it even states you are covered for UK cruises.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/insurance/products/premier-travel/

If it does not help you it might help someone as it's handy to order online.

Thanks, the letter of proof I had from Aviva after phoning them did not specifically mention UK cruises, but the one I downloaded following your post tonight does, thank you so much, very helpful.  They are obviously constantly updating their wording as these cruises become more common.  I hope this helps others too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

All people in cabin must have the upgrade. 

Otherwise there's nothing to stop "cheating" 

Re the spirit and mixer - they must be ok in the std package - otherwise people would order the spirit and then the mixer afterwards and cause twice the work. 

Yes I have the Premium Package and have had no problem even ordering 2 drinks at a time.  The staff are making mistakes as I ordered two bottles of water from market place and the charge was £25. I checked with customer services the following morning but it had Been shown £0 on my account .  

7 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Wear everywhere unless you are seated eating or drinking. That includes outside. 

I take it you don’t have to wear when “sun lounging” if said sun arrives?

Edited by zjc

Guest BigRoger
3 hours ago, CaroleC said:

Do it! lol. I booked the 3rd July sailing when the cruises were first released, then decided I couldn’t wait that long so we’re now on tomorrows departure too 😁

Fortunately or unfortunately we booked 3rd July first…. Then got excited by various very bad posters on here and then saw a fabulous deal on the cruise tomorrow…. Hence Southampton tonight in the rain…. Queen Elizabeth looking nice lit up tho!

2 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

First of it all, many thanks for you @Stu UK for the lovely review!... It is so refreshing to see cruise reviews flowing again!... Hope I can go on a cruise in 2022, once it'd to be nearly impossible this year from where I live given the current situation...

Unfortunately the coffee and gelato shop is a ship's rented space, so it runs basically as if you were purchasing from outside the ship... But at least on the Fantasia and other Meraviglia class ships they used to have such a somewhat "hidden" coffee bar on one of the 3 decks atrium environment corners (real location can vary ship to ship) where they used to sell some nice coffee and chocolate concoctions. Did you notice them having such a venue on Virtuosa? Did you capture its menu? It seems the unique missing one out the MSC regular menus, apart the pool bar menus!...

Have a nice return home!... 🙂

Not seen such a location.  All bars serve lovely coffee apart from Champagne Bar as their machine is broken 🤦🏻

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Sea Gull said:

Thank you all for the valuable information especially as new to MSC.

Just a few questions if anyone can answer them please:

Does anyone know if just 1 person in the cabin can upgrade the drinks package?

Might seem a daft question but do the drinks prices for spirits include a mixer or do they add the cost on, which could take it over the £10 limit?

What breakfast options are there for room service included for fantastica cabin?

Thank you

Fantastica room serve breakfast menu attached. Sorry it’s a pic not a pdf. 005DD333-ADE2-4466-B04D-60244DE72D4F.thumb.jpeg.b43b29602af42e91ce2b6b7d0c6c7e4b.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

The tiny seating area (max seating for 18) in front of reception has a full bar and serves liquor coffees (plus std coffee and teas). 

You are also facing the evening entertainment area which you hear another two floors up. 

Maybe that is exactly the "hidden" coffee bar. On ships with rented spaces that bar passes really quite unnoticeable... They used to have a "coffee delight menu" on those locations inserted on the regular bar menu. Once now all of it runs on QR codes, maybe those are not there yet or they pass unnoticeable.

Many thanks!... Have a nice sailing and return home!...

45 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Not seen such a location.  All bars serve lovely coffee apart from Champagne Bar as their machine is broken 🤦🏻

Many thanks!... Have a nice sailing and return home!...

We have never cruised MSC before , but I am interested in giving it at least a try.

My sticking point is food - I am fine , but my wife is Coeliac and also a  very fussy eater lol!

How are they in the dining room/ buffet with gluten free options , and particularly with accommodating special off menu requests?

8 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

We have never cruised MSC before , but I am interested in giving it at least a try.

My sticking point is food - I am fine , but my wife is Coeliac and also a  very fussy eater lol!

How are they in the dining room/ buffet with gluten free options , and particularly with accommodating special off menu requests?

The have allergy menus available. Here is an example lunch one. 

E491508C-012E-4299-B4A3-93A555399816.jpeg

Thanks for all the info being shared on here, much appreciated.  Has anyone had any experience of the Kids Club yet or have the children's menu for the main restaurant please?  We will be travelling with our 5 and 6 year olds so any info for children's facilities, including the water park and climbing area age/height limits, would be much appreciated please.

Grateful thanks to all who have answered questions continually whilst on the inaugural cruise especially Stu UK and Couple-Somerset. Your help has been invaluable and very much appreciated.

Safe journey home everyone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

My husband and I are both coeliac, and we are boarding the ship on Friday, so will update on here. I am also vegetarian, some people I'm sure would argue that makes me fussy! Stu very kindly managed to get hold of a gluten free menu for lunch to give me some ideas. Be interesting to see how I get on, as there was no vegetarian starters at all, and for the main courses, although there are two options that look to be vegetarian, they are not marked as such. I'm really hoping that as such, I can have a discussion with someone in the MDR and maybe order meals for the following day if there is nothing suitable.

As for the buffet, I watched a video someone put up yesterday, apparently there is normally a gluten free section, however it's closed due to restricted capacity!! There seems to be no allergen information on any of the food on the buffet, so I can imagine we're going to have to ask someone and it could be a long process. I'm hoping it's not too problematic, as we would like to have the freedom to eat wherever we want to (and on the first day we might not be onboard in time to eat lunch in the MDR, so won't have any choice other than to go to the buffet). Again, I'm hoping there will be someone who can help us in there.

We are packing a few snacks just in case!! We've upgraded to the premium plus package which includes your mini bar and room service. I'm hoping they can swap out the beers in the mini bar for the GF Estrella Damn Daura that they have onboard. Snack wise, all the products in the mini bar are either not suitable because of their ingredients (Pringles), or are a 'may contain gluten', so also not suitable (nut products). Not sure if they'll be able to swap these for any pre-package GF goods or not, so another reason we're taking some goodies with us. They do have some GF pre-packaged muffins in the buffet that I saw on a video! No idea about room service, all the pics I've seen there is no allergy info. We're unlikely to get it, as although it's free with our upgraded drinks package, we're in a Bella cabin and therefore we would still have to pay the delivery fee (and being tight I don't want to!). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaroleC said:

Grateful thanks to all who have answered questions continually whilst on the inaugural cruise especially Stu UK and Couple-Somerset. Your help has been invaluable and very much appreciated.

Safe journey home everyone.

Here here...  thank you all 🤩     I'm not getting aboard until Friday, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions by then too  🤣

• Thanks 1