Florida resident here a little confused over C19 protocol.

5 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

Adventure cruises from the Bahamas are set up this way:  

Bahamas requires a PCR test within 5 days of country entry except if one can show proof of vax.

Royal then requires testing at check-in unless passenger shows proof of vax.  

All vax passengers are then exempt from Covid protocols on the ship.  

How do they mark you as being vax or not?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

How do they mark you as being vax or not?

Your either over 16(12 as of August) and Vaccinated or your not.  Only Kids are unvaccinated.

Edited by mauraoel

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

Your either over 16(12 as of August) and Vaccinated or your not.

I get that.  But if I'm vax'ed and therefore don't have to follow COVID protocols, how does the staff or other pax know that?  How do I know the guy walking around with no mask has been vax'ed?  

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

Your either over 16(12 as of August) and Vaccinated or your not.

8 minutes ago, jrapps said:

So far Celebrity has indicated they will require vaccines in FL, and now NCL has done the same...they will being sailing the Norwegian Gem from Miami in August, 100% vaccinated ship.

On the Carnival CC forum, someone just posted a letter they got from Carnival regarding their July sailing on the Horizon. Too long to copy here, but I interpret it to mean they are still trying to get FL to agree to let them use vaccines to sail "from Florida in the same manner that we are sailing from Galveston in July and satisfy their requirements."

How ironic would it be if Royal was the only line to say no vaccine requirement.

I read the same letter about sailing from Florida as a lot of wishing and hoping and we are still talking.

If I got that letter for a sailing next month I wouldn't feel optimistic I was cruising.

3 hours ago, ricksurf said:

It's a simple decision for me.  I will not sail out of Florida again.  There are other ports of departure in the world which are more responsible.

Not as much selection, though

3 hours ago, boatseller said:

Please, do a search before you dig the hole any deeper.

I've paid the tax even with the package and so has many other members.

Did you buy the pkg onboard. Point of sale is key

8 minutes ago, jrapps said:

So far Celebrity has indicated they will require vaccines in FL, and now NCL has done the same...they will being sailing the Norwegian Gem from Miami in August, 100% vaccinated ship.

On the Carnival CC forum, someone just posted a letter they got from Carnival regarding their July sailing on the Horizon. Too long to copy here, but I interpret it to mean they are still trying to get FL to agree to let them use vaccines to sail "from Florida in the same manner that we are sailing from Galveston in July and satisfy their requirements."

How ironic would it be if Royal was the only line to say no vaccine requirement.

I wonder... if vaccination doesn't begin to pickup soon ...we may end up with nearly 50% of the population unvaccinated... so it is possible if most cruiselines require vaccination that Royal will be the winner with families.... Only 52% of those over 18 are vaccinated and the needle has hardly moved in recent weeks. If people are comfortable going to baseball games, restaurants etc unvaccinated... they might want to cruise. The real question is...will they be willing to put up with masking, social distancing and the other steps... it will be interesting to watch. I, on the other hand, will be on AOS out of Nassau with a mostly vaccinated group.

3 hours ago, boatseller said:

There were no inaccuracies.  If so, please list them specifically, but again, there were none.

If you buy a pkg on the planner, they don't make you pay tax on beverages acquired in port.

This is my experience, and that of folks I know

Edited by John&LaLa

1 minute ago, kearney said:

I wonder... if vaccination doesn't begin to pickup soon ...we may end up with nearly 50% of the population unvaccinated... so it is possible if most cruiselines require vaccination that Royal will be the winner with families.... Only 52% of those over 18 are vaccinated and the needle has hardly moved in recent weeks. If people are comfortable going to baseball games, restaurants etc unvaccinated... they might want to cruise. The real question is...will they be willing to put up with masking, social distancing and the other steps... it will be interesting to watch. I, on the other hand, will be on AOS out of Nassau with a mostly vaccinated group.

Perhaps. I think if Carnival, NCL, Celebrity all require vaccines in FL (in the July-Oct timeframe), I don't see Royal being the lone line going the other way. But perhaps you are right.

Problem is people don't want to cruise with masks. They would rather leave the kids behind, or do a different family vacation than a cruise if masks are required. By trying to appeal to the kid audience, Royal is tapping a market but once you remove all the people who don't want masks, is that market still viable? Only time will tell.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Perhaps. I think if Carnival, NCL, Celebrity all require vaccines in FL (in the July-Oct timeframe), I don't see Royal being the lone line going the other way. But perhaps you are right.

Problem is people don't want to cruise with masks. They would rather leave the kids behind, or do a different family vacation than a cruise if masks are required. By trying to appeal to the kid audience, Royal is tapping a market but once you remove all the people who don't want masks, is that market still viable? Only time will tell.

I think that is the question...but I have seen posts from people whose families are comfortable wearing masks...after all this time... Now personally I worry about anyone becoming comfortable with masks...but if you are... and you want to get away...and Royal makes it easier and nonjudgemental for you... go for it.  I just personally being vaccinated would rather a cruise that is as normal as possible and that means maskless and being able to sit next to people I meet onboard...but that is me. So RCCL has provided options... Celebrity for those who want a more free experience and Royal who won't compel vaccination. I don't think I would give a 12 year old an experimental vaccine...just to go on a cruise...but I don't have kids..so it isn't my problem

7 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Ironic?  I fail to see the irony.  As Princess was arguably hardest hit by bad covid PR early in the pandemic, I’d say it would be more ironic if Princess were the only line that declined a vaccination requirement.

Rather than irony, I see a different strategy: Under the same corporate umbrella they are trying to cater to those eligible&desiring a vaccinated sailing on Celebrity while also trying to offer vaccine-optional cruises Royal Caribbean, so families with younger children, people allergies to vaccine components, etc also have a cruise option.

If other lines limit the % of unvaccinated passengers, more families with small kids may be on Royal Caribbean.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I get that.  But if I'm vax'ed and therefore don't have to follow COVID protocols, how does the staff or other pax know that?  How do I know the guy walking around with no mask has been vax'ed?  

There will be no one over the age of 15 that is unvaccinated on those cruises.  No vaccinated passengers will have to comply with protocols.  Protocols, like masking indoors, will only apply to children 15 and younger.  They certainly are easier to identify for purposes of compliance.

Just now, kearney said:

I think that is the question...but I have seen posts from people whose families are comfortable wearing masks...after all this time... Now personally I worry about anyone becoming comfortable with masks...but if you are... and you want to get away...and Royal makes it easier and nonjudgemental for you... go for it.  I just personally being vaccinated would rather a cruise that is as normal as possible and that means maskless and being able to sit next to people I meet onboard...but that is me. So RCCL has provided options... Celebrity for those who want a more free experience and Royal who won't compel vaccination. I don't think I would give a 12 year old an experimental vaccine...just to go on a cruise...but I don't have kids..so it isn't my problem

So I am one of those that fall into the "don't mind masks" category, but everything has limits, and I would much prefer vaccines and no masks. If I can cancel my cruise and book on another line with zero protocols and 100% vaccinated people, I would have to weigh the situation. I don't mind a mask, but I also don't trust other people and I'd be wondering the whole cruise if the people around me are or are not vaccinated. Of course all of this is time dependent too. Any cruise before Nov, I have to consider that my son isn't yet vaccinated. After he is vaccinated, then it is less important to me.

It's not a binary decision. Life is complicated.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I don't want to leave my grandkids behind this cruise has been planned for them all along.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Ironic?  I fail to see the irony.  As Princess was arguably hardest hit by bad covid PR early in the pandemic, I’d say it would be more ironic if Princess were the only line that declined a vaccination requirement.

Rather than irony, I see a different strategy: Under the same corporate umbrella they are trying to cater to those eligible&desiring a vaccinated sailing on Celebrity while also trying to offer vaccine-optional cruises Royal Caribbean, so families with younger children, people allergies to vaccine components, etc also have a cruise option.

If other lines limit the % of unvaccinated passengers, more families with small kids may be on Royal Caribbean.

Everyone has their perspective. I don't see it as Celebrity = vaccines, Royal = no vaccines. They still could have gone vaccine 12+, allow kids under 12, that way they both cater to families and adults without kids, but also the safest possible way to cruise.

The current strategy is fine and one I can work with, it just wouldn't have been my first choice. Some will like it more, some will like it less. I fear that those that like it more are the un-vaccinated, which means more un-vaccinated on the cruise. 

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

So I am one of those that fall into the "don't mind masks" category, but everything has limits, and I would much prefer vaccines and no masks. If I can cancel my cruise and book on another line with zero protocols and 100% vaccinated people, I would have to weigh the situation. I don't mind a mask, but I also don't trust other people and I'd be wondering the whole cruise if the people around me are or are not vaccinated. Of course all of this is time dependent too. Any cruise before Nov, I have to consider that my son isn't yet vaccinated. After he is vaccinated, then it is less important to me.

It's not a binary decision. Life is complicated.

See too prefer a mostly vaccinated cruise..I doubt there will be 100%...but in any event... I am vaccinated and want to return to the most normal routine possible...but I can see situations were people can't be vaccinated or have young children.. frankly I would think twice about vaccinating a child with an experimental vaccine..I would like to wait... but if people have gotten used to masking fine... Now what would be a nice touch would be to allow Royal passenger who prefer the Celebrity model to apply their deposits to a Celebrity cruise... but I don't work for them.

3 hours ago, jrapps said:

They won't fine the individual people, the state fines the cruise line. Even if those fines hold, they won't get paid for years.

Actually, I bet they do get paid. And you know who pays it?  You.  Just like the politician saying they won't raise taxes on those making over $XYZ. You believed that too, right?  It's the trickle down effect where the consumer unknowingly pays it on the backend. So, go ahead, cruise lines, and test the waters; then, we will all get to watch the cruise rates rise. 

46 minutes ago, ronandcarla said:

It's a shame that this is not an election year for Governor down here in Florida bc if that was the case this stupid political stunt of NOT showing your Covid Vaccination Card would be happening at all.  We sure hope everyone who votes the next time around remembers  this story.

Everyone with a job, especially after the CDC is beaten back, will remember.  We're not worried.

8 hours ago, lampskies said:

Ok, so local news this morning stated that RCCL will not require proof of vaccination sailing out of Florida and Texas due to Governors executive orders. 5000.00 fine every time if they ask for proof…..but they put this statement out Friday “Those who are unvaccinated or unable to verify vaccination will be required to undergo testing and follow other protocols, which will be announced at a later date," Royal Caribbean said on Friday. So if legally they can’t ask how can they undergo “testing protocols”? Is it just going to be another question on form before boarding? Like the one now? Have you been sick etc in last few days?

This was not due to an executive order.  It was a law passed by the Florida House and Senate and signed into law.  Nice twist by the "news" but not true.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boatseller said:

Everyone with a job, especially after the CDC is beaten back, will remember.  We're not worried.

Everyone with a memory (Democrat and Republican) will not only remember, but I doubt that this issue will have altered their preconceived notions on who to vote for or against in any way. If you were a fan of Desantis before, you likely still are. If you were not a fan, you likely still aren't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

If you buy a pkg on the planner, they don't make you pay tax on beverages acquired in port.

This is my experience, and that of folks I know

Plese, stop, you're past the dead end.

I think that's the case in New York(?), not Florida but we do pay a tax, ~$1, per drink while in State waters even with the package.  I know NCL does this.

Some lines use different accounting methods or tax provisions to not show the guest, think open bar at an event.  The but tax is still paid.

I think Carnival doesn't even offer Cheers! on the first night of Texas sailings.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ronandcarla said:

Yeah, I'll agree to that statement.  But on the other had look who our present Governor's God Father is and all of the wonderful things he represents, ending with Jan 6 2021.

If you still believe in that hoax, wait until you find out cruise ships are nuclear powered, fueled by Russian Yellowcake. :)

3 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Plese, stop, you're past the dead end.

I think that's the case in New York(?), not Florida but we do pay a tax, ~$1, per drink while in State waters even with the package.  I know NCL does this.

Some lines use different accounting methods or tax provisions to not show the guest, think open bar at an event.  The but tax is still paid.

I think Carnival doesn't even offer Cheers! on the first night of Texas sailings.

You really should research more. 

Texas is a totally different issue. They can only legally serve booze with a TX tax stamp. 

NCL is the king of sleeze on pkgs. They charge as much as the drink in tips to get those free drinks

Del Rio from NCL out today thanking and praising the Florida Gov saying we wouldn't even be this far without him confronting the cdc.  Making sausage here more will be revealed.

• Like 1