Visa Requirement for US citizens

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

I read sometime back, a scientific study that presented evidence that, based on standard IQ testing, the average  IQ of humans reached a peak around 1975 & has been steadily declining ever since.

As it was a 'proper' study the conclusion was that yes we are on average less intelligent than we were, or perhaps, the standard IQ tests were no longer able to accurately measure comparative IQ, which was an equally plausible conclusion.

I look around me everyday, at work, in public, &  in mainstream & social media & I know the answer - the tests are fine.

Standardised, most,  IQ tests are designed to have a mean of 100 points and standard deviation of 15.  So 85-115 is is the “normal” range. Supposed that whenever someone took one, at whatever age, there was comparability of scores.

The Flynn Effect studied the general increase in IQ scores since early in the 20th century. About 3 points per decades. Increase to put down to improved such things as nutrition, better environment (removal of lead from petrol), and educational changes.

In some countries (including Australia) there has been a decrease over the last couple of decades. But the rate shown is quicker than the Flynn increase. Decline in environmental quality, poorer nutrition for many, changes in education — including moving away from tests — are some of the reasons given.

16 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

These are the same like minds who are booking Aussie cruises for the end of this year.  Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but you can't fix stupid.

Not everyone who has an Australian cruise booked for 2021-22 season is ‘stupid’..we have one booked for 2022 which was booked as soon as bookings opened, transferred from March 2021. We hope the Australian government will open the borders before then, but just yet nobody knows when this will happen. Plenty of speculation for mid 2022, but no official announcement. 

Does this booking make us stupid too ?

52 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Not everyone who has an Australian cruise booked for 2021-22 season is ‘stupid’..we have one booked for 2022 which was booked as soon as bookings opened, transferred from March 2021. We hope the Australian government will open the borders before then, but just yet nobody knows when this will happen. Plenty of speculation for mid 2022, but no official announcement. 

Does this booking make us stupid too ?

No, many of us rolled cruises over from last year, but those who are just booking those cruises at this point in time are stupid as it is extremely unlikely that:

a) there will be a 21/22 season here 😭

b) that our international border will be open

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Standardised, most,  IQ tests are designed to have a mean of 100 points and standard deviation of 15.  So 85-115 is is the “normal” range. Supposed that whenever someone took one, at whatever age, there was comparability of scores.

The Flynn Effect studied the general increase in IQ scores since early in the 20th century. About 3 points per decades. Increase to put down to improved such things as nutrition, better environment (removal of lead from petrol), and educational changes.

In some countries (including Australia) there has been a decrease over the last couple of decades. But the rate shown is quicker than the Flynn increase. Decline in environmental quality, poorer nutrition for many, changes in education — including moving away from tests — are some of the reasons given.

interesting, as 3rd world to 1st world immigration increases, IQ averages significantly  decline...  it is well documented in countries with higher intelligence averages, less reproduction.  in countries with very low intelligence averages, as many children as possible being born.  smart people usually only have children that they can afford whilst dumb people have as many as the government will pay them  for.

Edited by ericfromri

At the end of the day, do not book any cruises in and out of Australia for 21/22.  For those who have booked demand your money back. These ships will not arrive here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

At the end of the day, do not book any cruises in and out of Australia for 21/22.  For those who have booked demand your money back. These ships will not arrive here.

No thanks, I'll wait until the cruise lines cancel, take the FCC option with a bit extra then book another cruise further in the future. I'm not losing money, most of my deposts were FCDs so that money was already committed and Princess states if you can't use the FCCs they will be refunded eventually. So far I've got $125 extra from two of my FCDs so that's not a bad return on the investment. 😊

13 hours ago, mr walker said:

I read sometime back, a scientific study that presented evidence that, based on standard IQ testing, the average  IQ of humans reached a peak around 1975 & has been steadily declining ever since.

As it was a 'proper' study the conclusion was that yes we are on average less intelligent than we were, or perhaps, the standard IQ tests were no longer able to accurately measure comparative IQ, which was an equally plausible conclusion.

I look around me everyday, at work, in public, &  in mainstream & social media & I know the answer - the tests are fine.

It has also been established that ro a certain point (I think it was IQ 70) lower IQ couple produce more off spring.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 12:07 PM, onlyslightlymad said:

I had a very funny conversation when an American cruiser the night before a trans-Tasman cruise in Auckland.  He had arrived with only US currency.  "Why?", he said, "Do you not accept US$ here?" "Because we are not in the US", I said.  I don't think he ever fully got it.

Not ALL Americans are as ignorant as is indicated in this thread. I am not sure you realize that we can visit Canada, Mexico as well as Central and South America and the U.S. dollar is very widely accepted if not preferred.  Not everyone does the proper research  when traveling to a foreign  country. 

Edited by nini
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nini said:

Not ALL Americans are as ignorant as is indicated in this thread. I am not sure you realize that we can visit Canada, Mexico as well as Central and South America and the U.S. dollar is very widely accepted if not preferred.  Not everyone does the proper research  when traveling to a foreign  country. 

All those countries are in the same part of the world as the US. Australia and NZ are a long way away. 

Some tourist shop operators in NZ will accept AUD, and possibly USD, and similarly in Australia with NZD etc but those operators will get the best of the deal. Tourist shops in Noumea happily accept AUD, as do markets on the smaller islands, as well as markets in PNG. However it costs them quite a bit to get other currencies converted so making the effort to have the local currency is always appreciated.

20 minutes ago, nini said:

I was on a forum recently where this very topic was being discussed re US currency being accepted in Canada. The overall opinion was possibly but usually only close to the border, perhaps in tourist areas and not all over Canada. Also that the Canadian business will get the better of the deal and any change would be given in Canadian currency. Most responders to the question replied that US citizens would be advised to exchange their $US for $CAN rather than trying to use it in Canadian businesses.

• Like 1

Truly, I realize that "Down Under" is "a long way away". BTW- the dollar is liked in Europe also " a long way away".

One of my points is that not all Americans are as stupid or ignorant as some of you have indicated. 

DH and I do our research  before traveling and honor the cultures and customs of the people of our destination... otherwise, why travel?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nini said:

Truly, I realize that "Down Under" is "a long way away". BTW- the dollar is liked in Europe also " a long way away".

One of my points is that not all Americans are as stupid or ignorant as some of you have indicated. 

DH and I do our research  before traveling and honor the cultures and customs of the people of our destination... otherwise, why travel?

nini it is okay, we know that many Americans are clever but we do get tired of those that seem to think that American money, ideas etc are the only important consideration. That is why we like to tease a little. Those that realise we are teasing initially we have a laugh with  and enjoy their company. Because we realise they just need some education but there are some who just don't get it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nini said:

But again in Europe it's mostly tourist places that will take USD. Some Asian countries are the same.

Indeed, why travel if you're not going to immerse yourself in the local culture, customs and cuisines of the countries you are visiting. BTW It's not only Americans who expect the same food that they get at home wherever they go. We had a couple of fun experiences in Italy once at restaurants convincing British tourists to try the local specialities. Both times those people were thrilled with what we suggested.

But I refused to eat crickets in Vietnam, I had to draw the line somewhere! 🤣 I did have some chilled baby eels in Japan once and I'm still not sure if they were actually dead when I ate them. 😯 They were very nice though.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:29 PM, possum52 said:

I was on a forum recently where this very topic was being discussed re US currency being accepted in Canada. The overall opinion was possibly but usually only close to the border, perhaps in tourist areas and not all over Canada. Also that the Canadian business will get the better of the deal and any change would be given in Canadian currency. Most responders to the question replied that US citizens would be advised to exchange their $US for $CAN rather than trying to use it in Canadian businesses.

On my last trip to Halifax via a cruise many shops were happy to take the US dollar.  But these shops were taking it for the same amount as they charged for the Canadian $.  In Saint John, Canada where the ship docks the vendors prefer US $ and have there prices in $  I insisted that one merchant take my Canadian $ since after all I was in Canada.  When I travel I use local currency or a credit card.  I will admit it was a bit of a problem when my ATM card stopped working when I was visiting OZ.  Lucky I had brought some travelers checks, this was 2001  and used my credit card until I was able to  exchange the checks.

I find it easiest to get local currency once I am in that country.

Oh yes I have 2 cruises booked for 2022 one out of Brisbane and another from Sydney.  We were all assuming when we booked that things would get back to normal.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:20 PM, frantic36 said:

nini it is okay, we know that many Americans are clever but we do get tired of those that seem to think that American money, ideas etc are the only important consideration. That is why we like to tease a little. Those that realise we are teasing initially we have a laugh with  and enjoy their company. Because we realise they just need some education but there are some who just don't get it.

Being an American, I see your point, and agree with you.  Part of it depends how much some have traveled or if they live in the city or a small town.  I love to travel meet locals and learn about the local culture and customs and use the local currency.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, sunshine002 said:

On my last trip to Halifax via a cruise many shops were happy to take the US dollar.  But these shops were taking it for the same amount as they charged for the Canadian $.  In Saint John, Canada where the ship docks the vendors prefer US $ and have there prices in $  I insisted that one merchant take my Canadian $ since after all I was in Canada.  When I travel I use local currency or a credit card.  I will admit it was a bit of a problem when my ATM card stopped working when I was visiting OZ.  Lucky I had brought some travelers checks, this was 2001  and used my credit card until I was able to  exchange the checks.

Oh yes I have 2 cruises booked for 2022 one out of Brisbane and another from Sydney.  We were all assuming when we booked that things would get back to normal.

This is normal, for 2021.  While people will get vaccinated and borders will reopen, we are not going back in time.  The normal in 2022 will not be the normal of 2019.  

23 minutes ago, sunshine002 said:

When I travel I use local currency or a credit card.  I will admit it was a bit of a problem when my ATM card stopped working when I was visiting OZ.  Lucky I had brought some travelers checks, this was 2001  and used my credit card until I was able to  exchange the checks.

We've always found it easiest to get local currency on arrival but sometimes that isn't possible. In which case we get some of the currency we require before we leave.

We now have a separate set of credit and debit cards that we use for travel and some international online purchases. Mainly because those cards don't charge foreign transaction fees but also  in the case of the debit card, it's not our main bank account so only has sufficient funds in it for the trip.

However we also carry our regular credir and debit cards, usually separate to the ones we are using for travel. That way we're covered for all eventualities. Plus we both have cards to all accounts so if one gets swallowed by an ATM we can still access those funds.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, possum52 said:

Speaking as a Canadian living closer to Alaska than our southern border I can attest that businesses will reluctantly accept the US$ but you will not get a good exchange rate. And tips are appreciated in CDN$ according to my server daughter.

• Like 2