This isn't good....Odyssey Of The Seas cancelled due to Covid

bajathree

On 6/16/2021 at 1:22 PM, Aloha 1 said:

Just to educate you, SARS-CoV-2 is the VIRUS. CoVid19 is the DISEASE. There is a difference, medically and scientifically. Those with the virus who have no symptoms of the disease are called asymptomatic. Those with the virus who DO show signs of the disease are presumed to have CoVid19.

exactly correct.  I just looked it up. Sars-2 is the virus and covid is the disease. and Sars-2 is genetically related to Sars-1 which helped researchers and vaccines developers in trying to understand it all

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My best guess is you missed my followup point where there could be a lot more people with fake vax cards than those who are loud anti-vaxers.  I have no idea if the guy on the radio told a lie or not.

Actually I got your entire post, and a good post it is. Because you mentioned the word lied, it brought to mind - I don't know why - that 400 hundred year old quote. Probably a lot of that will be going on as we work our way back, over, under, around and through whatever it is we have to do.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

16 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

A misinformation campaign.  If you test positive you HAVE Covid-19.  Even asymptomic. The disease state presents differently in every individual.  It doesn't matter what name the virus carries.  If you catch it you have Covid.  So you can carry on all about your SARS-CoV-2 all you want. 

And frankly I laugh every time someone brings up HIV and AIDS.  Totally different type of virus and disease. 

Let me break this down in a way you'll understand.  

This is a coronavirus, the same type/family of virus that causes the common cold.  The difference being that this is a NOVEL coronavirus, meaning not encountered before.  It presents in many different ways, from no symptoms, to death.  If you test positive for Covid, you've caught the virus, and now have the disease.  Now stop playing your silly little if you don't know the difference, you're part of the problem games.

I think we are more dealing with semantics and definitions rather than a misinformation campaign.

You can test positive for the virus SARS-COV-2.  That is a positive test in one moment in time. You have been exposed to the virus and are producing antigen or viral RNA that is detectable in very sensitive assays.  You might or might not have symptoms.

COVID-19 is defined as the disease from the viral infection.  CO (coronavirus) VI (Virus) D (Disease) 19 (identified in 2019). 

Disease usually implies at least some type of actual symptoms.  But in the case of SARS-COV-2 viral infections, positive tests, asymptomatic infections and actual COVID-19 disease, there has been a constant mixing up of all of these states and definitions- almost from day 1.  There is a lot of confusion among a lot of people.  There is quite a lot of leeway in these terms now- whether correctly used or not.  That's just the way it is.  No need to argue about it here.

But do these mixed up definitions make a difference to cruising now?  I would say yes.  The highly intense focus on positive tests in the past 18 months really needs to evolve to more of a focus on disease and in fact more severe disease requiring hospitalization and worse.  The highly effective vaccines have changed the landscape.  We will see positive virus tests in every aspect of our lives for years to come.  But in the absence of severe COVID disease we can handle that as a society like we do every other infectious disease.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks.  I didn't realize that.  But I thought the crew were vaccinated on the 4th?

Michael Bayley confirmed in a Facebook post that 1400 crew were vaccinated after arriving in PC on June 4th. A few new crew members coming on board on or about the 11th were vaccinated then. 

On 6/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

My best guess is you missed my followup point where there could be a lot more people with fake vax cards than those who are loud anti-vaxers.  I have no idea if the guy on the radio told a lie or not.

He definitely lied.
He either lied to his wife, or he lied about lying to his wife. 

Yes, I do understand what you were actually saying. Still, I hope I never run into the guy, I'm pretty confident we would not get along. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

A misinformation campaign.  If you test positive you HAVE Covid-19.  Even asymptomic. The disease state presents differently in every individual.  It doesn't matter what name the virus carries.  If you catch it you have Covid.  So you can carry on all about your SARS-CoV-2 all you want. 

And frankly I laugh every time someone brings up HIV and AIDS.  Totally different type of virus and disease. 

Let me break this down in a way you'll understand.  

This is a coronavirus, the same type/family of virus that causes the common cold.  The difference being that this is a NOVEL coronavirus, meaning not encountered before.  It presents in many different ways, from no symptoms, to death.  If you test positive for Covid, you've caught the virus, and now have the disease.  Now stop playing your silly little if you don't know the difference, you're part of the problem games.

Please stop with the misinformation. I don't know your background but mine is medical. My degree trumps your Google certificate.

Just now, Aloha 1 said:

Please stop with the misinformation. I don't know your background but mine is medical. My degree trumps your Google certificate.

Mine is also medical.  Name me one time someone with a positive test was told they have SARS-CoV-2

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iamaqt2 said:

Mine is also medical.  Name me one time someone with a positive test was told they have SARS-CoV-2

I don't make a habit of spying on front line staff. I would say more but that might close this thread. On the other hand, that may not be a bad idea.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think we are more dealing with semantics and definitions rather than a misinformation campaign.

You can test positive for the virus SARS-COV-2.  That is a positive test in one moment in time. You have been exposed to the virus and are producing antigen or viral RNA that is detectable in very sensitive assays.  You might or might not have symptoms.

COVID-19 is defined as the disease from the viral infection.  CO (coronavirus) VI (Virus) D (Disease) 19 (identified in 2019). 

Disease usually implies at least some type of actual symptoms.  But in the case of SARS-COV-2 viral infections, positive tests, asymptomatic infections and actual COVID-19 disease, there has been a constant mixing up of all of these states and definitions- almost from day 1.  There is a lot of confusion among a lot of people.  There is quite a lot of leeway in these terms now- whether correctly used or not.  That's just the way it is.  No need to argue about it here.

But do these mixed up definitions make a difference to cruising now?  I would say yes.  The highly intense focus on positive tests in the past 18 months really needs to evolve to more of a focus on disease and in fact more severe disease requiring hospitalization and worse.  The highly effective vaccines have changed the landscape.  We will see positive virus tests in every aspect of our lives for years to come.  But in the absence of severe COVID disease we can handle that as a society like we do every other infectious disease.

TeeRick,  it doesn't matter the level of disease state a person is experiencing.  The fact is, that if you are unvaccinated and  infected, asymptomic individuals are infectious and can spread the disease. It's not fully known how infectious a vaccinated individual is yet, but it is currently thought to be such a low viral load as to be negligible.  Since we will never reach 100% vaccinated status in this country, any infection onboard a cruise ship could have far reaching effects.  And there are new studies coming out that are showing that roughly 20% of asymptomic infected will develop some symptoms of Long Covid.
https://www.abc27.com/news/health/coronavirus/1-in-5-asymptomatic-covid-patients-will-eventually-suffer-long-haul-symptom-study-suggests/

On 6/16/2021 at 3:58 PM, PRNole47 said:

Perhaps all vaccinated crew members need to wait 14 days before being allowed on the ship, just like pax who have been vaccinated have to wait 14 days before getting on a ship. Doesn't sound like this is what was done and crew members reported for work too soon after receiving vaccines. 

According to Chris Wong, the vaccines are given to the crew in the cruise terminal. He said he had to leave quarantine and go off the ship for his vaccine. The crew were socially distanced and I'm sure they wore masks but Chris didn't say that. Once they had their shot, they went right back on board into their cabin to continue quarantine.

Someone suggested that the crew not board the ship until 2 weeks after their shot and are fully vaccinated. That would mean the cruise line would have to pay for hotel accommodations for every one of their crew. That is just not cost effective when there is an empty ship with plenty of cabins for each crew member to quarantine.

I think Royal learned the hard way that the crew must be quarantined before the vaccination and after the shot for the full two weeks. Going forward, I think this will work for all new crew coming on board. There will always have to be enough cabins for new crew members to quarantine in.

As an aside......it is so nice for Chris Wong and other crew members to be able to occupy a balcony cabin. Watching Chris' exuberance on board the Odyssey is heart warming. He looks so happy to be back on a ship and to be on the water again.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:28 AM, llawrence said:

ABC news just had a story on this……Royal is going to require all passengers to be vaccinated unless you are leaving in from a Florida port……the is will be highly suggested that you be vaccinated.   wonder if that includes the crew…..

I would be money the crew on ships leaving from Florida ports will all be vaccinated.

19 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

TeeRick,  it doesn't matter the level of disease state a person is experiencing.  The fact is, that if you are unvaccinated and  infected, asymptomic individuals are infectious and can spread the disease. It's not fully known how infectious a vaccinated individual is yet, but it is currently thought to be such a low viral load as to be negligible.  Since we will never reach 100% vaccinated status in this country, any infection onboard a cruise ship could have far reaching effects.  And there are new studies coming out that are showing that roughly 20% of asymptomic infected will develop some symptoms of Long Covid.
https://www.abc27.com/news/health/coronavirus/1-in-5-asymptomatic-covid-patients-will-eventually-suffer-long-haul-symptom-study-suggests/

iamaqt2- everything you state here I definitely am in agreement.  I was just trying to make a point that for this virus in particular, there is quite a bit of terminology and semantics that has become interchangeable.    At this stage it is beyond being correctable in our society.  The virus is pretty unique in the fact that so many can get exposed and have or show no symptoms at all.  So the line is quite blurred between virus-positive tests, virus-asymptomatic infection, and disease.  So why debate it?  We just need to accept that the distinction is not as clear as some would like.  If one develops actual symptoms ( or progresses to symptoms, like Long-COVID) then that definitely defines the disease state.   

My bottom line point is still the same.  As vaccination takes hold, and transmission goes down in the vaccinated, then our society needs to move away from positive tests as a thing to base all of our actions and fears.  They will be there if you look for them, yes even amongst the vaccinated.  But as long as people are not being hospitalized (or worse) then this becomes a more typical infectious disease response.  The more that people get vaccinated, the more we care less about tests.  Unfortunately, the unvaccinated will still be at risk for COVID disease.

• Like 2

I was reading the Viking board this a.m. Apparently, they have a passenger who now tested positive (asymptomatic) and had to be removed from cruise along with the passengers that were in close contact with the individual. They have to stay at a hotel for 14 days quarantined. 

I am not ready to be a guinea pig on a cruise right now. 

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I was reading the Viking board this a.m. Apparently, they have a passenger who now tested positive (asymptomatic) and had to be removed from cruise along with the passengers that were in close contact with the individual. They have to stay at a hotel for 14 days quarantined. 

I am not ready to be a guinea pig on a cruise right now. 

holy cow how many people have the extra 14 days unplanned vacation saved up? and who pays for all the hotel /food? and what if your car is in paid parking back home etc. is this what we have to look forward to with US cruises? the more i read these threads i wonder if ill ever cruise again. it's stressful reading all this. cannot imagine living thru it 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:36 AM, kstetser said:

A crew member has a vlog - it sounds to be that they are quarantined in guest cabins with balconies.  

So happy for this guy, but it's going to be a long time in that small room before the ship even leaves.  I certainly will be thanking them and tipping them when I am on board