This isn't good....Odyssey Of The Seas cancelled due to Covid

bajathree

31 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I agree with you whole heartedly.  But we have to somehow figure out how to convince the naysayers, then unbelievers, and the down right stubborn folks.  Over on the RCI blog someone is on AOS right now and a lot of kids running around with NO masks on.  Now the next sailing will ever require vaxx folks to take a quick test and if negative in error, sorry no sail.    These false positives are of concerns. perhaps the rapid tests are not so good.

Yes the lack of mask wearing by unvaccinated kids on Adventure has been commented on all over. That’s on the parents. Where are they?  Never mind, I already know.  That stuff will not be tolerated on US sailings because the CDC will be watching. In fact, they may be on board. 😉

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Michael Bayley is the President and CEO of RCI so I don’t think he’s fibbing on Facebook about when the other crew were actually vaccinated. Do you? 

No, not at all. I think media reports just give the impression that those vaccinated on June 4 were the entire crew total (when it was the entire crew at the time) and that the entire crew total will be considered fully vaccinated after June 18. But we know from others on board, some will be considered fully vaccinated a bit later.

Edited by syesmar

31 minutes ago, syesmar said:

No, not at all. I think media reports just give the impression that those vaccinated on June 4 were the entire crew total (when it was the entire crew at the time) and that the entire crew total will be considered fully vaccinated after June 18. But we know from others on board, some will be considered fully vaccinated a bit later.

It was Michael Bayley’s statement, not the media. I imagine 1400 was pretty close to full crew at the time of vaccination on June 4.  A few more crew members coming on here and there don’t have a significant impact.  New crew members won’t be fully vaccinated until 14 days from their vaccine date of June 11 (so June 25).  I guess the point is they should have quarantined all non-essential crew for the duration of 14 days to full vaccine effect. They didn’t. Lesson learned. 

• Like 1

does this mean if 8 passengers are positive that they turn around a cruise and cancel it? i havent followed the updated rule changes but i assume so because if they are losing a few weeks of cruise revenue for crew, youd have to for passengers too

18 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

does this mean if 8 passengers are positive that they turn around a cruise and cancel it? i havent followed the updated rule changes but i assume so because if they are losing a few weeks of cruise revenue for crew, youd have to for passengers too

There is a threshold for infections (crew and passenger) on ships leaving the US where the cruise would have to end and return. No one knows for sure what that threshold is or how/when it would apply.  Just speculation. CDC calls the shots and hopefully Celebrity will be upfront about what happens when. “Hopefully” being the operative word. 

Edited by harkinmr

17 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

I suppose they could, but the CSO outlines a threshold of 1% of crew and 1.5% of passengers having COVID cases before the cruise is required to terminate. The bigger problem is now with the red status of the ship. They have to successfully complete a test cruise before anything else at this point. To operate a test cruise they have to be green or orange. So they need time to quarantine/retest and get back in a green or orange, plus complete a test cruise before any revenue cruises can sail. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Yes the lack of mask wearing by unvaccinated kids on Adventure has been commented on all over. That’s on the parents. Where are they?  Never mind, I already know.  That stuff will not be tolerated on US sailings because the CDC will be watching. In fact, they may be on board. 😉

yes I am hoping ships not going to foreign ports but just Alaska will do well.

I feel bad for crew that has to try to keep the peace and enforce the rules.

I remember being on a ship in 2018 up in the Baltics and two kids were running all around the windjammer and almost knocked over older folks. The head manager did not have the guts to say anything until I reminded him that if some really got hurt, he would feel bad.  I told him to just go over and tell the parents or I would and I would not be so nice.  He in the end did go over very gingerly to the parents.  So crew hate to enforce rules unless they have to.

speaking of CDC, can't wait to see how things end up in FLA.   toodles

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Just to educate you, SARS-CoV-2 is the VIRUS. CoVid19 is the DISEASE. There is a difference, medically and scientifically. Those with the virus who have no symptoms of the disease are called asymptomatic. Those with the virus who DO show signs of the disease are presumed to have CoVid19.

So Typhoid Mary never had typhoid since she was asymptomatic?

Edited by zinzan
  • Like 1

ABC news just had a story on this……Royal is going to require all passengers to be vaccinated unless you are leaving in from a Florida port……the is will be highly suggested that you be vaccinated.   wonder if that includes the crew…..

19 minutes ago, llawrence said:

ABC news just had a story on this……Royal is going to require all passengers to be vaccinated unless you are leaving in from a Florida port……the is will be highly suggested that you be vaccinated.   wonder if that includes the crew…..

Yes....saw that yesterday. Royal has made a shift to require all people of eligible age to be fully vaccinated EXCEPT in FL due to DeSantis and his stupid no proof of vaccine law. Funny thing however was right after the Royal clip on the news was another clip how DeSantis just threw out all court cases that had to do with fines or arrests in FL that were Covid related...such as mask wearing or bars not adhering to covid mandates that were either still in court or pending. Yet he swears he will uphold the law when it comes to enforcing the law with cruise lines in FL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I suppose they could, but the CSO outlines a threshold of 1% of crew and 1.5% of passengers having COVID cases before the cruise is required to terminate. The bigger problem is now with the red status of the ship. They have to successfully complete a test cruise before anything else at this point. To operate a test cruise they have to be green or orange. So they need time to quarantine/retest and get back in a green or orange, plus complete a test cruise before any revenue cruises can sail. 

There was one interesting tidbit that came from the Millennium passengers testing positive.  The passengers that tested positive were not permitted to stay in their cabin, they were forced to relocate to deck two which has been modified to have a separate ventilation system.  If Celebrity uses this same procedure on other ships, that's going to upset any passengers who test positive that were in suites or balcony cabins.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There was one interesting tidbit that came from the Millennium passengers testing positive.  The passengers that tested positive were not permitted to stay in their cabin, they were forced to relocate to deck two which has been modified to have a separate ventilation system.  If Celebrity uses this same procedure on other ships, that's going to upset any passengers that were in suites or balcony cabins.

Well those that test positive at least....lol Interesting though on the separate ventilation system.

19 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

And using the correct terminology doesn't matter one bit whether you're asymptomatic or not.  Because you can spread it either way.

No one who tests positive and is asymptomatic is told they have SARS-CoV-2.  They're told they're positive for Covid-19.

I try to educate with facts but some people don't want to hear it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zinzan said:

So Typhoid Mary never had typhoid since she was asymptomatic?

Mary carried a bacteria, not a virus. She was naturally immune from the effects of the salmonella bacterium but infected foods eaten by others who then got the illness.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:36 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Definitely highlights the need to have ALL crew and passengers fully vaccinated.  Period.  Not 95%.  Not unvaccinated children.  100% or you can't cruise yet.  It's still a pandemic.  It's still out there.  Life is not fair, but that is really the only way to ensure cruising will survive.

I could not possibly agree with this more . . . 100% vaccinated.  If you can't get vaccinated go on another type of vacation until you can or go when pandemic is in rearview.  We are still IN a pandemic.  The problem as I see it from this article is that they did not allow enough time from time full crew got vaccinated until first sail date.  It's a long process, but they must allow enough time from  FULL vaccination with quarantine before set sail.  And make sure when you get on the ship that you generously tip the staff.  They are suffering being out of work for so long and then long process to start work from first vaccine.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We all know the loud/borderline-combative type of anti-vaxer but there some "in the closest"-anti-vaxers who don't want to deal with the conflict/drama by talking about their anti-vax views; various reports of them creating/obtaining a fake card and simply telling everyone including their spouse they got the vax.  I heard this on the radio, guy said he wife would divorce him if he didn't get it so he created a card and lied to her about getting the J&J; he said if you search reddit you can find other similar examples.

"A lie goes half-way around the world while the truth is putting on it's pants."

I checked in with my ID and insurance information when I got my vaxx.  In the long run, I don't think these cards are going to be that easy to fake and if you are caught with fraudulent documentation . .it's a risk, I wouldn't take to be able to go on a cruise unvaccinated like a huge tool.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

"A lie goes half-way around the world while the truth is putting on it's pants."

My best guess is you missed my followup point where there could be a lot more people with fake vax cards than those who are loud anti-vaxers.  I have no idea if the guy on the radio told a lie or not.

There is a new update today from Chris Wong, a crew member on Odyssey.  He has a video blog,  He has been quarantined in a balcony cabin.  But he has been on the ship without being vaccinated in quarantine.  He reveals that he just got vaccinated with the J&J vaccine this morning.  So his 14 day countdown starts today.  Go to post number 80 on the link.

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There is a new update today from Chris Wong, a crew member on Odyssey.  He has a video blog,  He has been quarantined in a balcony cabin.  But he has been on the ship without being vaccinated in quarantine.  He reveals that he just got vaccinated with the J&J vaccine this morning.  So his 14 day countdown starts today.  Go to post number 80 on the link.

These videos aren't posted in real time. He (and other crew) got vaccinated on the 12th. 

45 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

These videos aren't posted in real time. He (and other crew) got vaccinated on the 12th. 

Thanks.  I didn't realize that.  But I thought the crew were vaccinated on the 4th?

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

...But I thought the crew were vaccinated on the 4th?

See Post 57 in this thread on Page 3. While the crew that was onboard at the time got vaccinated on June 4, Chris arrived to the US on June 8, quarantined in a hotel for a couple days, then got vaccinated and boarded the ship on June 11 and entered a 14 day quarantine onboard. He posted these things on his twitter feed. (The press releases are confusing, because they say “all crew” will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18, when there are crew members who arrived later and were vaccinated later than June 4).

Edited by syesmar

54 minutes ago, syesmar said:

See Post 57 in this thread on Page 3. While the crew that was onboard at the time got vaccinated on June 4, Chris arrived to the US on June 8, quarantined in a hotel for a couple days, then got vaccinated and boarded the ship on June 11 and entered a 14 day quarantine onboard. He posted these things on his twitter feed. (The press releases are confusing, because they say “all crew” will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18, when there are crew members who arrived later and were vaccinated later than June 4).

thanks!  I had been following his videos.  Very informative overall.

5 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

I try to educate with facts but some people don't want to hear it.

A misinformation campaign.  If you test positive you HAVE Covid-19.  Even asymptomic. The disease state presents differently in every individual.  It doesn't matter what name the virus carries.  If you catch it you have Covid.  So you can carry on all about your SARS-CoV-2 all you want. 

And frankly I laugh every time someone brings up HIV and AIDS.  Totally different type of virus and disease. 

Let me break this down in a way you'll understand.  

This is a coronavirus, the same type/family of virus that causes the common cold.  The difference being that this is a NOVEL coronavirus, meaning not encountered before.  It presents in many different ways, from no symptoms, to death.  If you test positive for Covid, you've caught the virus, and now have the disease.  Now stop playing your silly little if you don't know the difference, you're part of the problem games.

• Like 1