Advantages of having a PVP?

mlshum

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

OK, here's something. We had a cruise booked before the pandemic for last summer that of course never sailed. We had a refundable deposit, and we bought trip insurance at the time of booking (not cruise line trip insurance). Our TA informed us that even that was refundable because we at the time had nothing insured having only the refundable deposit.

Seeing the writing on the wall, we cancelled before the cruise line which waited until final payment was due. We received our deposit (though it took almost 3 months, normal for what was happening last summer) and our insurance premium also refunded. I posted about this in the insurance forum, and the expert from Insure My Trip said he had never heard of our company refunding a premium. I told him our TA (based in Florida) knew that NY state law required that. When we first received confirmation that we would be reimbursed the premium and then actually received it, I also posted. I asked the insurance expert if he knew what other states had similar laws. He did not, but tried to contact state insurance commissioners. But he said he was unsuccessful at getting any further information.

So do you think a PVP would know anything about private insurance or what states had laws that would have you get your insurance premium refunded?

While TA are good for "all travel", I think nothing beats a PVP (as long as you have the right one) with Carnival.  Because my PVP has "fought" as you put it and went up the chain to his bosses to get us refunds on things that a regular TA could not.  I have changed cruises, rooms, people... all the things you would normally loose money on and have not lost a dime.  My PVP knows we cruise a lot, we have a GREAT relationship and so if something comes up and I need help, he is there - he works for ME.  I have saved hundreds, if not over a thousand dollars with the "fees" he has gotten dropped for us.... and a regular TA would not have that kind of pull to make it happen inside Carnival.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

OK, here's something. We had a cruise booked before the pandemic for last summer that of course never sailed. We had a refundable deposit, and we bought trip insurance at the time of booking (not cruise line trip insurance). Our TA informed us that even that was refundable because we at the time had nothing insured having only the refundable deposit.

Seeing the writing on the wall, we cancelled before the cruise line which waited until final payment was due. We received our deposit (though it took almost 3 months, normal for what was happening last summer) and our insurance premium also refunded. I posted about this in the insurance forum, and the expert from Insure My Trip said he had never heard of our company refunding a premium. I told him our TA (based in Florida) knew that NY state law required that. When we first received confirmation that we would be reimbursed the premium and then actually received it, I also posted. I asked the insurance expert if he knew what other states had similar laws. He did not, but tried to contact state insurance commissioners. But he said he was unsuccessful at getting any further information.

So do you think a PVP would know anything about private insurance or what states had laws that would have you get your insurance premium refunded?

I had an trip insurance policy premium refunded by TripInsurance dot com one time and I am not in NY. 

I'm not sure if a PVP would know how to set the timing on 1974 Monte Carlo either but that is no what they are there for and not what they do. 🙂

On 6/23/2021 at 2:03 PM, tm_aw_love said:

I don't see that anybody has made comparisons to having a travel agent. Something to consider is that a TA and a PVP essentially do the same thing in that they both can (and likely will) do all of the legwork for you. However, a PVP can't give you anything 'extra' that you wouldn't be able to get on the Carnival site on your own, other than possibly saving you time. On the other hand, a TA can always give you the same offers and deals, and in many situations give you additional parks such as gifts, onboard credit, or even better deals because they have access to group rates for some sailings. 

That is true, but on the flip side a TA has to call into Carnival customer service to make any adjustments on your account.  The PVP can do it right away saving a lot of time.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 9:58 PM, ontheweb said:

Just curious, what can he do that a TA cannot? I have had issues, and my TA has solved them. Once, for example, he set up a 3 way conversation between us and his contact person at the cruise line in which all my concerns were answered. And I was still connected to the cruise line person after we were finished with the problem solving so I could discuss anything else I needed with the cruise line contact.

There is the main problem with a TA in this environment, you have to stay on the line while they wait on hold for an agent.  The PVP can handle most situations quickly and you don't have to hold for 45 minutes.

I've never used a PVP until yesterday (I have used TAs).  I needed one to transfer a booking from a cruise in September to next February..  I tried for a week to get to CS but there was always a huge wait.  I found my PVP online, called her and she took care of my issue in about 3 minutes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

There is the main problem with a TA in this environment, you have to stay on the line while they wait on hold for an agent.  The PVP can handle most situations quickly and you don't have to hold for 45 minutes.

I've never used a PVP until yesterday (I have used TAs).  I needed one to transfer a booking from a cruise in September to next February..  I tried for a week to get to CS but there was always a huge wait.  I found my PVP online, called her and she took care of my issue in about 3 minutes.

You do not have to stay on the line. The TA can call or e-mail you back. We had a situation like that in which a room was changed without our knowledge or his. He took care of it and then got back to us.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:15 AM, thesmiths said:

I just booked 3 cruises without my PVP who I have used for a long time.

Just lost that warm fuzzy feeling I had for her when she blew me off earlier this year on a few things.

I understand they are stressed but don't make the customer feel they are an inconvenience on a few calls in a row.

Hoping she looks at my account and realizes it.

Same here. 

On 6/23/2021 at 2:42 PM, asalligo said:

I prefer not to use a PVP because I am so particular about every step of the process and I often find that they know less about the ship than I do. Yes, I know they work there, but still true. I did find it useful in 2019 though when I wanted a particular room that did not show available online and when I called up, the PVP got it for me. No clue why it was held back from online booking. If I do call my PVP now, I make sure I have done all my research and have a deck map handy for the call. 

The website only shows ten cabins on each deck for the type of cabin you need.  There may be 40 cabins available but still, only 10 show up.  Been that way for years.  One reason you have to have a PVP or a TA.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have had 2 PVPs.  The first was excellent, but her replacement has been below average.  As with all things Carnival, service, food quality and Platinum perks have deteriated.  I can email the PVP with a question and the response either is very late or non existant.  Save you money and try a different cruise line.  I am only 6 nights from Diamond, and may never use Carnival again.  

4 hours ago, paul914 said:

I have had 2 PVPs.  The first was excellent, but her replacement has been below average.  As with all things Carnival, service, food quality and Platinum perks have deteriated.  I can email the PVP with a question and the response either is very late or non existant.  Save you money and try a different cruise line.  I am only 6 nights from Diamond, and may never use Carnival again.  

Entirely different experience with our PVP.  She's been incredibly responsive, to the point where I once emailed her and she responded with a phone call back within ten minutes....on a SUNDAY.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Entirely different experience with our PVP.  She's been incredibly responsive, to the point where I once emailed her and she responded with a phone call back within ten minutes....on a SUNDAY.    

My PVP is responsive and able to get things done that seem impossible.  I've been on 20 cruises on Carnival (9 since Restart) and have been happy with all my sailings.  Especially the crew!

• Like 1

A good PVP is invaluable to me.  My first PVP was great - always called with cruise deals for which we were eligible, and she would call me if I even logged into my Carnival account.  She suddenly left - phone number and emails were invalid.

I always do my own research, put a cruise on hold and then call my PVP for questions not available to me in an online booking.  My newest PVP informed me of a perk for my upcoming cruise that I had NO idea that I was eligible to take advantage of.

• Like 1

SO VERY SAD!  I had the BEST PVP for the last 8-10 years.  He was amazing.  He helped with so many things, and often could get things "waived" that we might otherwise be charged for.  He helped tremendously through the 2 years of Covid with rebookings over and over, etc.

He GOT PROMOTED! He is now in charge of training and managing a large group of PVPs.   I am so very, very sad!!!  He gave me a couple names of people to try, but neither of them are anywhere near as good as he was and soured me.  Decided to go back to the old way and just do it myself.  I have taken advantage of the Diamond desk a time or two for help in the last 6 months though since I don't have a PVP.  And so far that has worked out pretty well.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, wemjam said:

SO VERY SAD!  I had the BEST PVP for the last 8-10 years.  He was amazing.  He helped with so many things, and often could get things "waived" that we might otherwise be charged for.  He helped tremendously through the 2 years of Covid with rebookings over and over, etc.

He GOT PROMOTED! He is now in charge of training and managing a large group of PVPs.   I am so very, very sad!!!  He gave me a couple names of people to try, but neither of them are anywhere near as good as he was and soured me.  Decided to go back to the old way and just do it myself.  I have taken advantage of the Diamond desk a time or two for help in the last 6 months though since I don't have a PVP.  And so far that has worked out pretty well.

I wish I could help you.  Our's is a 20 year vet extremely highly regarded.  I just talked to her today.