Celebrity vs. Carnival

KKB

12 minutes ago, KikisDad said:

I did not read other’s comments first, so sorry for the duplication. 

we sail on both of these lines a lot. For the same price, I would sail celebrity hands down. In the future, if you can get a favorable rate, the carnival vista class ships are very nice. When you do sail carnival, just go with the attitude of having fun and you will love it. 
since you are already on Edge, I’d go on reflection 

Horizon is Vista class--partly why I am drawn to it; that & the itinerary.

The Reflection hasn't had a refurb which is partly why I'm hesitating.

I priced out the Edge again--naw, it's another grand so it's off the list.

Princess has popped onto the possibility list. 

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I snorted my drink. I’m from Mobile, those weren’t the passengers- those were either some lost Mardi Gras folk or the dock workers - I think they’re there all the time!

LOL. The full story is that we were delayed returning to Mobile due to heavy fog. Instead of docking early in the morning, we docked around 5:00pm.

Apparently, many passengers departing on the next sailing didn’t learn about the delay until they arrived at the cruise terminal and didn’t see a ship waiting for them. They weren’t even being allowed to enter the parking garage at the terminal, so they did what any sensible Carnival cruiser would do: they partied it up until they were allowed to check in. 🤣.

I remember passengers on both sides of the road as we exited the cruise terminal, rocking our car from side to side and hooting and hollering. 😂 Couldn’t help but to laugh out loud but at the same time wondering if that was really going on! 

40 minutes ago, Tapi said:

LOL. The full story is that we were delayed returning to Mobile due to heavy fog. Instead of docking early in the morning, we docked around 5:00pm.

Apparently, many passengers departing on the next sailing didn’t learn about the delay until they arrived at the cruise terminal and didn’t see a ship waiting for them. They weren’t even being allowed to enter the parking garage at the terminal, so they did what any sensible Carnival cruiser would do: they partied it up until they were allowed to check in. 🤣.

I remember passengers on both sides of the road as we exited the cruise terminal, rocking our car from side to side and hooting and hollering. 😂 Couldn’t help but to laugh out loud but at the same time wondering if that was really going on! 

OMG Mobile. You’re near me! And this is 💯 how our folk would do it. 🤣

1 hour ago, KKB said:

If you're talking about the ship, it's condition and how it looks, the non renovated Reflection is head and shoulders nicer than the Horizon could ever look. As one  example, compare cabin bathrooms; 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/celebrity-reflection-621/inside-cabin-132093/inside-cabin--v7544356

vs

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-horizon-1185/interior-cabin-413206/interior-cabin--v18486214

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

What a great analogy.  Carnival is a tailgate party before a football game.  Celebrity is drinks, dinner and the Theater.

Lol I’d say we r more tailgating fans than theatre—especially DH.

Yet we will have more Celebrity cruises than any other soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

For many years, that space under the underpass was a big RV park for Mardi Gras. People would drive in and park for 2-3 weeks. Then they could walk over to the Civic Center. The floats line up on that curving road just beside the big CC parking lot, so it was a great parade watching spot.

About 2019, the city was going to ban the RVs because of crime maybe, then some permits were allowed, then COVID, so I don’t know if the RVs will be back ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KKB said:

As a theatre teacher, I feel confident in saying you can have both. 🤣 Just ask the Greeks, the Romans, and the groundlings at the Globe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

I think you just defined me ... hahahahahaha

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KKB said:

I certainly would not let the lack of refurb deter me, that ship is still a beauty in my eyes.  The Equinox was only partially refurbed when I was on it last and I still loved that ship and could care less if it was 'revolutionized' or not ... just sayin 🙂

kwokpot's post #4 is spot-on. We had many fun cruises on Carnival before we out grew the vibe. We settled in to a more relaxed, easy-going environment years ago and prefer that now on Celebrity ships. Of course we are "several" years older.

That being said, we are booked on the Carnival Mardi Gras for a December cruise to the Caribbean. We are very familiar with the islands so this is strictly a "ship" cruise. New ships are always fun, no matter the cruise line, and the fact that Mardi Gras calls Port Canaveral home, well, a no-brainer since we live 30 minutes down the road. 

We will find that Carnival vibe immediately, I am sure. After all, Grandpa and Grandma weren't born yesterday ya know.  

• Like 5

While never going on a Carnival cruise.

I'm a Celebrity cruiser.

A few years back.  While I was looking at the ship builds by company.

Celebrity ships of the same size as their Carnival counterparts cost about double of what a Carnival ship cost to build.

Kind of tells you that Celebrity packs more good things into their ships.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

kwokpot's post #4 is spot-on. We had many fun cruises on Carnival before we out grew the vibe. We settled in to a more relaxed, easy-going environment years ago and prefer that now on Celebrity ships. Of course we are "several" years older.

That being said, we are booked on the Carnival Mardi Gras for a December cruise to the Caribbean. We are very familiar with the islands so this is strictly a "ship" cruise. New ships are always fun, no matter the cruise line, and the fact that Mardi Gras calls Port Canaveral home, well, a no-brainer since we live 30 minutes down the road. 

We will find that Carnival vibe immediately, I am sure. After all, Grandpa and Grandma weren't born yesterday ya know.  

Spif- granted I don't know you.  But from your posts I had a mental picture of you- and a pretty positive one at that.  My mental picture did not include you on a Carnival ship at all.  But maybe Mardi Gras is an exception so I can slightly adjust my picture.  But I would still like to meet you someday but on a Celebrity cruise.😊

I do think if you manage your expectations and sort of know what you're looking at, either line will be fun.  Carnival is just a different experience.  I grew up in a little OH town.  I wouldn't say we were unsophisticated, but we had a different sense of fun than anyone who lived in the "big city".  Carnival has a little of that "ye haw....we're going out to the bars after work on Friday night" vibe to it.  I lived that.  So, I have a comfort level there.

When I moved, to a "citified" area, entertainment options changed.  I was subjected to different ways of having fun that I had never experienced before.  I have a foot in that life, too.  I have a comfort level there, as well.

One isn't better than the other. And, both are fun....just in diversely different ways.

Given a choice, taking cost out of the equation, I'd probably pick Celebrity.  The older I get, the less I can "rock and roll all night, and party every day" and the more I appreciate taking in a good meal with some good wine, see a good show, having a nightcap and calling it a day.

You throw a week on a Carnival ship for $500, and I'm there.....in a heartbeat, however.

Both are fun.  Pick what you'd rather do.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I do think if you manage your expectations and sort of know what you're looking at, either line will be fun.  Carnival is just a different experience.  I grew up in a little OH town.  I wouldn't say we were unsophisticated, but we had a different sense of fun than anyone who lived in the "big city".  Carnival has a little of that "ye haw....we're going out to the bars after work on Friday night" vibe to it.  I lived that.  So, I have a comfort level there.

When I moved, to a "citified" area, entertainment options changed.  I was subjected to different ways of having fun that I had never experienced before.  I have a foot in that life, too.  I have a comfort level there, as well.

One isn't better than the other. And, both are fun....just in diversely different ways.

Given a choice, taking cost out of the equation, I'd probably pick Celebrity.  The older I get, the less I can "rock and roll all night, and party every day" and the more I appreciate taking in a good meal with some good wine, see a good show, having a nightcap and calling it a day.

You throw a week on a Carnival ship for $500, and I'm there.....in a heartbeat, however.

Both are fun.  Pick what you'd rather do.

Can confirm, growing up in a small town, Carnival is “Friday Night Lights and we just got paid.” And it’s lots of fun, as long as you know what you’re getting into! 

I agree- for the right price, I’ll happily sail on Carnival! But I’m excited to try X and compare the two. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

Can confirm, growing up in a small town, Carnival is “Friday Night Lights and we just got paid.” And it’s lots of fun, as long as you know what you’re getting into! 

I agree- for the right price, I’ll happily sail on Carnival! But I’m excited to try X and compare the two. 

That’s how we are . The wife and I on the carnival panorama in august for $669 but in the Apex in April with the two kids for a whole lot more money. Should be the other way around. We will do whatever flows our boat and what my wallet will allow. Just dying to get on any ship at this point. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 3

A comment of "perspective" in my cruise experiences, with probably a poor lead-in:  My worst cruise disappointment was actually our second cruise on Oasis OTS in 2017. It was noisy, the crew seemed as indifferent as they could possibly be, and overall it seemed very disorganized in comparison to previous Oasis-class sailings (first was Oasis, second was Allure; see below).

I've largely given up on Carnival, mostly regarding noise pollution, but please also note my mention above regarding Oasis, and also note that my last cruise on Independence OTS (2019) was not one bit quieter than any Carnival cruise I've ever done.

I've only cruised Celebrity once before and that was 10 years ago on Eclipse. LOVED the change from Carnival in some ways (but not in all ways, e.g., food and entertainment). Eclipse was far more relaxing, and quiet! Both are big points for me. I went with X for my next cruise in November, partly because of that one prior experience, but also because I got a heckuva deal(!!) on our 9-day cruise coming up Nov 4.

As for cost, Horizon is one of Carnival's most expensive ships, for now. It's still new and fresh. C's older large ships (like Breeze, my all-time favorite on Carnival) are generally less expensive. But to me it seems it's getting harder and harder to find a good price on any cruise line. I browse a lot, especially on one site whose search results present long one-line lists that are very easy to browse and compare. These days I cringe every time I browse.

I've always thought food was better in general on Carnival than either X or RC, but not always.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:42 AM, jelayne said:

Way too many kids on Carnival for us.   Many seem to be unsupervised and running wild. 

Actually the worst experience we ever had with kids was on an Allure OTS cruise about 10 years ago, as "wild" as any I've ever seen. But that was a Spring Break cruise. Yea, of course Timing is Everything! As for Carnival I never noticed a "kids problem" because (1) of when we usually sail (never in summer) and (2) Carnival's kids programs are (or were) absolutely great, in my experience, very well organized throughout the ship and the cruise.

Last thought regarding kids is, as at least one other commenter stated, I often find that it's usually a few (or many) grown-ups who get on my nerves far more than kids ever do. Kids are kids after all. God love 'em.

As I've always thought (and occasionally said), it's far better to compare ship to ship than cruise line to cruise line.

Entertainment... one of my favorite memories of that sort is from the same Allure OTS cruise that was overrun with "kids" (of various ages). It was a solo classical guitarist one Thursday night in Central Park, playing for a small crowd. Pure heaven.

But my second-favorite entertainment (more relevant this topic) was my one-and-only previous Celebrity cruise, a 20-something Ukrainian lady playing the loveliest piano down on Deck 3 or 4, one late morning or early afternoon.  Third-favorite is a tie between "Shampoo" on my first Oasis cruise, and the overall entertainment on my first Carnival cruise, which was my very first cruise. Fourth was the live band that played several nights in Carnival Conquest's atrium a few years ago.

Apologies if this doesn't seem all that relevant or helpful. It's just that most of my cruises have been on Carnival, and there were things (plural) to enjoy about every one of them. My overall point is to stress not making too many decisions about Carnival until you've been there, maybe in quantity. Opinions are like anatomy, and so are cruise ships. 🙃 ... meaning the ships themselves are all different, regardless of brand.

Edited by Moonarino

On 6/30/2021 at 4:57 PM, KKB said:

I'm still trying to get my first cruise on Princess. Our November 2020 on Sky Princess was cancelled, of course.

Now that you mention it, itinerary is very often our final decision-maker. This is mostly because finding any variance of itinerary on the larger ships (of any brand) is very hard to do, for the obvious reason (not all ports can handle bigger ships). But this is exactly why I booked a longer cruise this time, trying to find a good combination of ports we've seldom or never visited.

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 1

We've completed 28+ cruises since 1982. We started out with Cunard, Home Lines, then Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, and decided through coercion from family members to try Carnival Legend. Well, we were skeptical to say the least...the usual concerns; rowdy passengers, too many kiddies, and on and on. Well, we were surprised for sure, and in 2019 we completed our 11th Carnival cruise and are booked for early 2022 on a Carnival cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed all of our trips with maybe one exception.

It really depends on what you look for on your cruise. We were sure we would never like a Carnival cruise, but were were wrong. Each cruise has had lasting memories for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fair-winds39 said:

We've completed 28+ cruises since 1982. We started out with Cunard, Home Lines, then Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, and decided through coercion from family members to try Carnival Legend. Well, we were skeptical to say the least...the usual concerns; rowdy passengers, too many kiddies, and on and on. Well, we were surprised for sure, and in 2019 we completed our 11th Carnival cruise and are booked for early 2022 on a Carnival cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed all of our trips with maybe one exception.

It really depends on what you look for on your cruise. We were sure we would never like a Carnival cruise, but were were wrong. Each cruise has had lasting memories for us.

I suspect we would be the same. 

RCCL had both our least fav cruise & our fav cruise, which goes to show you never know!

I'm NOT impressed that Carnival is allowing the buffet to be serve yourself...

2 hours ago, Moonarino said:

A comment of "perspective" in my cruise experiences, with probably a poor lead-in:  My worst cruise disappointment was actually our second cruise on Oasis OTS in 2017. It was noisy, the crew seemed as indifferent as they could possibly be, and overall it seemed very disorganized in comparison to previous Oasis-class sailings (first was Oasis, second was Allure; see below).

I've largely given up on Carnival, mostly regarding noise pollution, but please also note my mention above regarding Oasis, and also note that my last cruise on Independence OTS (2019) was not one bit quieter than any Carnival cruise I've ever done.

I've only cruised Celebrity once before and that was 10 years ago on Eclipse. LOVED the change from Carnival in some ways (but not in all ways, e.g., food and entertainment). Eclipse was far more relaxing, and quiet! Both are big points for me. I went with X for my next cruise in November, partly because of that one prior experience, but also because I got a heckuva deal(!!) on our 9-day cruise coming up Nov 4.

As for cost, Horizon is one of Carnival's most expensive ships, for now. It's still new and fresh. C's older large ships (like Breeze, my all-time favorite on Carnival) are generally less expensive. But to me it seems it's getting harder and harder to find a good price on any cruise line. I browse a lot, especially on one site whose search results present long one-line lists that are very easy to browse and compare. These days I cringe every time I browse.

I've always thought food was better in general on Carnival than either X or RC, but not always.

Actually the worst experience we ever had with kids was on an Allure OTS cruise about 10 years ago, as "wild" as any I've ever seen. But that was a Spring Break cruise. Yea, of course Timing is Everything! As for Carnival I never noticed a "kids problem" because (1) of when we usually sail (never in summer) and (2) Carnival's kids programs are (or were) absolutely great, in my experience, very well organized throughout the ship and the cruise.

Last thought regarding kids is, as at least one other commenter stated, I often find that it's usually a few (or many) grown-ups who get on my nerves far more than kids ever do. Kids are kids after all. God love 'em.

As I've always thought (and occasionally said), it's far better to compare ship to ship than cruise line to cruise line.

Entertainment... one of my favorite memories of that sort is from the same Allure OTS cruise that was overrun with "kids" (of various ages). It was a solo classical guitarist one Thursday night in Central Park, playing for a small crowd. Pure heaven.

But my second-favorite entertainment (more relevant this topic) was my one-and-only previous Celebrity cruise, a 20-something Ukrainian lady playing the loveliest piano down on Deck 3 or 4, one late morning or early afternoon.  Third-favorite is a tie between "Shampoo" on my first Oasis cruise, and the overall entertainment on my first Carnival cruise, which was my very first cruise. Fourth was the live band that played several nights in Carnival Conquest's atrium a few years ago.

Apologies if this doesn't seem all that relevant or helpful. It's just that most of my cruises have been on Carnival, and there were things (plural) to enjoy about every one of them. My overall point is to stress not making too many decisions about Carnival until you've been there, maybe in quantity. Opinions are like anatomy, and so are cruise ships. 🙃 ... meaning the ships themselves are all different, regardless of brand.

I get it. We heard NCL food was not good. We found it to be quite nice in the MDR--and they had entertainment during dinner from bands, to vocalists to dancers. NCL entertainment blew us away.

• Like 1

I did a crystal cruise and my next cruise was CCL.

One biggie is the food.  Random datapoints:

-CCL MDR offerings are quite limited

-CCL MDR offers a lot of up charges, adding lobster was only $20 in 2018 (may have gone up), could have lobster 7 nights if you wanted

-CCL's Guys burgers as known to be the best burger at sea

-CCL's Guys BBQ joint is known to best the food offered on a ship

-CCL's the Italian specialty restaurant was $15/person and offers fresh hand made pasta

-CCL's steakhouse offers Wagyu steak

-CCL's specialty dining options are much cheaper than other lines

20 hours ago, KKB said:

I suspect we would be the same. 

RCCL had both our least fav cruise & our fav cruise, which goes to show you never know!

I'm NOT impressed that Carnival is allowing the buffet to be serve yourself...

Not too thrilled about the self-serve buffet either. Not a good idea.