Freedom of the Seas - July 2, 2021

4 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Post from cruisers that sound like this make my decision to stay home and do land trips more acceptable each time I read about the "picked on" privileged few who do their best to complain about everything on a cruise

Your choice, we will enjoy our cruise as much as any other we have been on.  Thanks!

It may sound like I am complaining but I will "Discuss" wristbands with RCL because they have to have thought of alternatives for those who cannot wear it for various reasons which in fact could be an allergic reaction to them.  We won't have that issue but I am sure they have alternatives even if some on here are annoyed that I even want an alternative. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Things just change so fast. 90 days ago the first version of the rules had all masks all the time, to include between sips and bites. Even on the pool deck! I bet 90 days from now there are no restrictions or mask requirements for vaccinated passengers at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spooky981 said:

Things just change so fast. 90 days ago the first version of the rules had all masks all the time, to include between sips and bites. Even on the pool deck! I bet 90 days from now there are no restrictions or mask requirements for vaccinated passengers at all.

There was NEVER a rule that you had to mask up between sips & bites on cruise ships. That was all fear-mongering from people complaining to just complain. Not a single official (or even un-official) source of information from the cruise line ever said that. Just people here on CC trying to read too much between the lines of actual guidelines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

Post from cruisers that sound like this make my decision to stay home and do land trips more acceptable each time I read about the "picked on" privileged few who do their best to complain about everything on a cruise

People who go on a cruise knowing what the rules are and planning not to follow them. Or planning to argue (I mean "discuss") them with the crew onboard who didn't make the rules and don't have the authority to change them🙄

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jrapps said:

There was NEVER a rule that you had to mask up between sips & bites on cruise ships. That was all fear-mongering from people complaining to just complain. Not a single official (or even un-official) source of information from the cruise line ever said that. Just people here on CC trying to read too much between the lines of actual guidelines.

No but is on a flight but I was told there is no way that is the case even though i had been on a flight just a few days before.😗

For anyone who has been on Freedom, ( @linga you might know the answer) is the Nursery open? I totally am expecting different restrictions like they have for Adventure Ocean, but haven't seen anything about if it is even operating.

1 hour ago, jrapps said:

Actually it was the CEO of NCL that complained about this very thing on several tv interviews.. the rule says that  "While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order." This was what got him thinking that you had to replace...essentially between bites. The problem is with interpretation of such a vague standard... this is why airlines force you to replace masks between bites etc. Personally...since it is not defined.. I would simply say that a typical dinner lasts 1 hour and 20 minutes or so. Well that then is normal not extended...so perhaps you might suggest masking up after that time period... likely waiter wants to get the table set for the next customer.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Our local news here was pushing get your vaccine maybe because it's a holiday. I was surprised they said 99% of those in the hospital for covid are unvaxxed. Pretty startling.

I'm hearing the same thing on our local and national news sources. This is not startling to me at all. In fact, I'm fully expecting vaccinated people to NOT be hospitalized and the rare occasion someone is hospitalized is what is startling to me. These vaccines do work and I'm so thankful.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

To each their own. Seems like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I hate masking as well but dont spend much time on promenade without a drink in my hand anyways. The protocols are relaxing more each day. But I honestly dont know why people frequent these forums to let everyone know they wont cruise. Nobody cares…….

Nope.....No mountain and no mole hill. The only place I will wear a mask now, as a fully vaccinated person, is any establishment that posts a sign on the door requiring masks.

The only establishments where I live that require masking at this point in time are health care facilities. Even some doctor's offices have signs posted on their doors that VAXXED people DO NOT have to mask. Un-vaxxed people are required to mask. This is the honor system so I can only hope people are above board and do the right thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauraoel said:

Your choice, we will enjoy our cruise as much as any other we have been on.  Thanks!

It may sound like I am complaining but I will "Discuss" wristbands with RCL because they have to have thought of alternatives for those who cannot wear it for various reasons which in fact could be an allergic reaction to them.  We won't have that issue but I am sure they have alternatives even if some on here are annoyed that I even want an alternative. 

I would imagine if the wrist band is too small for someone with a very large wrist, there must be an alternative. I would also imagine that if someone were allergic to the material that the wrist band is made of, there must be an alternative. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Wow that would be a really low bar.

Our local news here was pushing get your vaccine maybe because it's a holiday. I was surprised they said 99% of those in the hospital for covid are unvaxxed. Pretty startling.

I'm not on rcl until dec and I'm sure things will keep on changing. No pt in figuring it out yet.

Why is it startling? The original purpose of the vaccine was to prevent hospitalizations and deaths, yet it went above and beyond and prevents even catching it in most people, like 95%.  We've been back to living our normal life for a couple of months now. Other than medical offices, no one requires masks around here.  Our county has a  high vaccination rate and currently, our 7 day rate of daily cases per 100,000 people is .1, (point one, not one).   There actually hasn't been a new case in the last 7 days.  There is currently one person hospitalized in our county of 430,000 people.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mauraoel said:

Why do you need to "discuss" it with them?  I don't get it.   If you won't have the issue why do you need to talk for someone else?  Anyone who has an issue can talk for themselves.  The vast majority of people can wear one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

Why do you need to "discuss" it with them?  I don't get it.   If you won't have the issue why do you need to talk for someone else?  Anyone who has an issue can talk for themselves.  The vast majority of people can wear one.

My husband has an issue with it, I just don't like wearing them. I said "we don't have that issue."  IE we aren't allergic to them but we definitely don't want to wear them on our wrist if there is an alternative.   If you could see how much I worry my watch on a daily basis you might understand. I could honestly see me breaking it with the way it would get fumbled with.

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I see wearing the bands on the wrists even if I don’t like it or not as making it easier for the crew. The crew will automatically be looking at the wrists and if it isn’t there they will have to look elsewhere or stop you. Why make it harder on the crew when they have enough to do? It’s only for a week.

It comes across like teenage rebellion.  "No one's gonna make me do xyz.  I'll do it my way, etc."  It's just a freaking wristband.  Kids onboard have to wear one the entire cruise so the crew can get them to their muster station if needed.  If kids can do it, I think adults can too.  How many complaining about it wear wristbands to go on excursions?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BND said:

It comes across like teenage rebellion.  "No one's gonna make me do xyz.  I'll do it my way, etc."  It's just a freaking wristband.  Kids onboard have to wear one the entire cruise so the crew can get them to their muster station if needed.  If kids can do it, I think adults can too.  How many complaining about it wear wristbands to go on excursions?

If it was like the wristbands that the kids wore the last time we cruised my husband would be yelling at the top of his lungs HE** NO!  It isn't, it is a rubber wrist band that is only there for convenience.

Just now, mauraoel said:

If it was like the wristbands that the kids wore the last time we cruised my husband would be yelling at the top of his lungs HE** NO!  It isn't, it is a rubber wrist band that is only there for convenience.

Does describing your husband "yelling at the top of his lungs HE** NO!" in some way try to convey that he is not in fact acting like a rebellious teenager? You seem very insistent on telling us how angry your husband is at wristbands. We get it.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I see wearing the bands on the wrists even if I don’t like it or not as making it easier for the crew. The crew will automatically be looking at the wrists and if it isn’t there they will have to look elsewhere or stop you. Why make it harder on the crew when they have enough to do? It’s only for a week.

I have no problem wearing the band, not any difference than wearing one all week when we go to an all-inclusive.  I prefer not too, but will take that if you tell me I don't have to wear a mask anymore!

3 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Does describing your husband "yelling at the top of his lungs HE** NO!" in some way try to convey that he is not in fact acting like a rebellious teenager? You seem very insistent on telling us how angry your husband is at wristbands. We get it.

I understand you are just trying  to pick a fight with me, and haven't really followed all my comments on this, the type of wristband that the children use are exactly like hospital wristband so yes he would adamantly refuse.

Just now, mauraoel said:

I understand you are just trying  to pick a fight with me, and haven't really followed all my comments on this, the type of wristband that the children use are exactly like hospital wristband so yes he would adamantly refuse.

I am not in fact trying to pick a fight. I was the OP who started this thread, and just wish it could be for & about people talking about the July 2 Freedom, asking questions about THAT sailing, not commenting or complaining about if you do or don't like the policies or wristbands. You asked about the wristband, you got the answer. The further complaining does no good.

I appreciate @linga and others coming here to share their experience. If this thread devolves into the same arguing as every other thread, they will stop reading and answering questions.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

I don't think that poster was picking a fight.  Just pointing out something that you stated.

As for the "type" you have stated it's wristbands he won't wear, so which is it?  The type or the fact of?

I just think people who want to cruise will do what they need to.  Others will fight any change of any kind.   And, there are several changes onboard now.  Several YT videos and posters have all posted about how positive an experience it was being on these first cruises.  The videos I saw were the happiest people I've seen in a while.  I saw no complaints about the new rules, none.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't think that poster was picking a fight.  Just pointing out something that you stated.

As for the "type" you have stated it's wristbands he won't wear, so which is it?  The type or the fact of?

I just think people who want to cruise will do what they need to.  Others will fight any change of any kind.  

Again if you had read all the comments on this you would have seen that he is less annoyed about the rubber wristbands but I am still going to try for a alternative.  I don't know about you but I like to travel with a happy spouse not a less annoyed spouse.

5 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Again if you had read all the comments on this you would have seen that he is less annoyed about the rubber wristbands but I am still going to try for a alternative.  I don't know about you but I like to travel with a happy spouse not a less annoyed spouse.

If my husband was as ornery as you've made yours sound on this thread, I would travel with NO spouse. If my husband was as ornery as you've made yours sound on this thread, I would travel with NO spouse. I can't imagine trying to constantly try to please someone. On topic, thanks to those on board who are using their vacation time to post info & answer questions!

Edited by palmettostatecruiser
Post cut off
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To be perfectly honest my question wasn't answered as to whether it was 100% mandatory but but instead I got many people who weren't on the cruise criticizing me for not want to follow the rules which I have tried to be polite about.

Thanks again for all the information this thread had.  Unfollowed!

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

instead I got many people who weren't on the cruise criticizing me for not want to follow the rules which I have tried to be polite about.

Not sure why you would expect otherwise on a CC thread.