Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising

Djptcp

18 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Just be aware that they need to be replaced about every 3 years.

I don't know about that, I got almost 5 years out of my HTC M8 phone. I only had to replace it because it had been dropped too many times and the screen was popping out of the case. My wife got 4+ years out of her S6 before moving up to an S10. Hers was still worked fine, she just wanted something new. 

For things that cost on the order of $1000, I expect to get quite a few years out of the beastie before I need to replace it. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Pretty good as I expect them to start selling smart devices on board to many hungry cruisers.  😒

Yes, that would be nice, plus a larger collection of cameras, binoculars and other travel related products vs the usual not needed products and not a good deal jewelry items!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KirkNC said:

my observation is that there are not near as many posters on the board as 15 months ago.

That has been my thoughts as well.  Other Message Boards are much more active than HAL's.  

I'd suggest some CC members explore some of the other Message Boards.  Cruise Foods, Cruise Memorabilia, Floataway Lounge, Cruise Rituals, etc. are interesting discussions in which to participate.  At least, in my opinion.

I participate once in awhile in the Fred. Olsen Forum since Rotterdam and Amsterdam are now ships in its fleet.  I have been able to offer some information that, based on the posters' feedback, have proven to be interesting, if not useful.  We have HAL knowledge that can be shared with others even if they may not be HAL experienced.   

• Like 1

This will send some of you around the bend 😎, but I can see something similar being implemented on cruise ships.

A friend is in town and is staying at the Virgin Hotel.  She invited me to go to brunch with her.  I showed up at the hotel, and my friend took one look at my hair and could tell it was like a sauna outside.  She suggested we stay inside and order room service.  Fine by me.

She ordered via the hotel's app.  No talking with someone on the phone and hoping they heard our order correctly.  There was a written record, and she was able to charge the order to her room acct., including the tip.  Nothing to sign when the order arrived.  

I liked it, and can see where it would be more efficient than the current system on cruise ships.  We had the option of having the food delivered immediately or choosing a later time.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Roz said:

This will send some of you around the bend 😎, but I can see something similar being implemented on cruise ships.

A friend is in town and is staying at the Virgin Hotel.  She invited me to go to brunch with her.  I showed up at the hotel, and my friend took one look at my hair and could tell it was like a sauna outside.  She suggested we stay inside and order room service.  Fine by me.

She ordered via the hotel's app.  No talking with someone on the phone and hoping they heard our order correctly.  There was a written record, and she was able to charge the order to her room acct., including the tip.  Nothing to sign when the order arrived.  

I liked it, and can see where it would be more efficient than the current system on cruise ships.  We had the option of having the food delivered immediately or choosing a later time.  

One of the vloggers on a current RCCL cruise says there are no paper menus. However she may not have asked either 

26 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

One of the vloggers on a current RCCL cruise says there are no paper menus. However she may not have asked either 

Interesting.  The people that do cruise tips tv on YouTube was on an rccl cruise about a week or so ago.  She said you had to use a QR code but the paper menus did make an appearance as the cruise went on.

45 minutes ago, Roz said:

It’s the end of the world as we know it 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Interesting.  The people that do cruise tips tv on YouTube was on an rccl cruise about a week or so ago.  She said you had to use a QR code but the paper menus did make an appearance as the cruise went on.

I bet more and more passengers asked for them.

13 hours ago, Roz said:

I think cruises will definitely go that way, particularly for room service orders. In fact I believe I read in the release notes for a recent update to the Navigator app that you can use it to order food and beverages (either room service or to be ready for pickup). I suspect the breakfast door tags will (or have already) become a thing of the past, replaced with Navigator app or choices made on a TV menu. 

• Like 1

I believe there will be lots of on board changes over the next year based on where covid is going.  This is far from over.

I believe the challenge is to be flexible, deal with the changes, and enjoy the positives of  cruise.  No doubt some of the changes will not be to our liking.

Better to focus on the positive aspects rather than some of the negatives over which we have no control.   The cruise lines are no doubt doing their best to commence operation and to protect our health and well being.   

This may not be the best time to cruise for glass half empty folks or those with the expectation that everything, including service levels,  will be the same as it was in the past.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, iancal said:

I believe there will be lots of on board changes over the next year based on where covid is going.  This is far from over.

I believe the challenge is to be flexible, deal with the changes, and enjoy the positives of  cruise.  No doubt some of the changes will not be to our liking.

Better to focus on the positive aspects rather than some of the negatives over which we have no control.   The cruise lines are no doubt doing their best to commence operation and to protect our health and well being.   

This may not be the best time to cruise for glass half empty folks or those with the expectation that everything, including service levels,  will be the same as it was in the past.  

Very well said! So true!

30 minutes ago, iancal said:

Very well said! So true!

33 minutes ago, iancal said:

Very well said! So true!

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Very true. As a long-time cruiser I sometimes have to remind myself of this. Things change over time; some I will like more and others I will not be as happy about. But it is better not to get caught up in mourning every little change; life is too short. And I have to say that from 1973 until today, on a variety of different lines and different ship sizes, I have enjoyed every cruise (save one).

It's also important to try to recognize important societal shifts (as opposed to cutbacks) and adapt to them if one does not want to become extinct like the dinosaurs.... 🦕

• Like 3

I do prefer to have a paper copy bc there are usually too many possible choices to remember from looking at the menu posted outside the dining room.  And listening to others order many times makes me rethink what I had planned to get.  I have a smartphone and use it all the time at home, BUT on a cruise mine usually stays in the room safe so I don't have to keep up with it...  Same goes for a tablet.  Just don't want to carry that around with me and risk leaving/losing it somewhere.  I'm vaccinated so I'm ok with the old fashioned printed menus in the "leather binder" that were passed out to each table all night.  Probably more of a cost-cutting  thing anyway but cruising for those who are unvaccinated seems more than a bit risky.

28 minutes ago, Luvstobike said:

I do prefer to have a paper copy bc there are usually too many possible choices to remember from looking at the menu posted outside the dining room.  And listening to others order many times makes me rethink what I had planned to get.  I have a smartphone and use it all the time at home, BUT on a cruise mine usually stays in the room safe so I don't have to keep up with it...  Same goes for a tablet.  Just don't want to carry that around with me and risk leaving/losing it somewhere.  I'm vaccinated so I'm ok with the old fashioned printed menus in the "leather binder" that were passed out to each table all night.  Probably more of a cost-cutting  thing anyway but cruising for those who are unvaccinated seems more than a bit risky.

The only place I’ve seen a binder type menu is in the specialty restaurants.  As I recall the ones in the dining room are more on a flat piece with the menu inserted into that.   I would expect to see only paper now.

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

She said you had to use a QR code but the paper menus did make an appearance as the cruise went on.

On a current Silverseas cruise, there were no daily hard copy programs provided.  Unhappy/displeased guests have led to the programs reappearance.  

On 7/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, kevingastreich said:

I liked the printed menus. 

Printed menus are available upon request.

Kudos to the Cruise line whose doing their best not to possibly spread any virus by thinking outside the box.

i like a printed menu, and at the same time, will comply with looking at it on the TV in my cabin or the one posted on the outside of the Dining room.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On a current Silverseas cruise, there were no daily hard copy programs provided.  Unhappy/displeased guests have led to the programs reappearance.  

I just finished reading a long thread on the Silversea board regarding the first cruises on their new ship and learned that they are using a new system for shore excursions that requires passengers to use their phones and earbuds/pods on ship excursions to hear the guide.

Interesting....  Did not read any feedback (or push back) on that thread re: the menus).

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I just finished reading a long thread on the Silversea board regarding the first cruises on their new ship and learned that they are using a new system for shore excursions that requires passengers to use their phones and earbuds/pods on ship excursions to hear the guide.

Interesting....  Did not read any feedback (or push back) on that thread re: the menus).

How is that going to work if the passenger doesn't have a data plan offshore. If it is phone to phone you will need some sort of connectivity.

On a humorous note:  my cheap sister follows behind those excursions and steals a free walking tour.  It makes me laugh.  

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2021 at 3:23 PM, harkinmr said:

This is the most disturbing thing.  I too have seen social media posts that CDC cards were not checked. They ARE required to have at least 95% vaccinated passengers in order to sail without a test cruise and are clearly violating their obligation to confirm passenger vaccination status. Apparently, as is commonplace with Carnival, they are not following the rules.  

Nope, the lovely guvnah of Fl, Ron DeSantis has said no one has to show vaccination status going out of FL so all they can do is ask if you want to tell, but they do require tests if you say no you haven't had shots.  Very Scary.  The Govenor was wrong, and should have allowed the cruise industry in Florida to ask that all cruisers up to 95% at least, were vaccinated and to show proof.  Not sure why the cruise industry bowed to the Govnuh.  Tough guy taking away the rights of the vaccinated passengers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackpotter said:

Nope, the lovely guvnah of Fl, Ron DeSantis has said no one has to show vaccination status going out of FL so all they can do is ask if you want to tell, but they do require tests if you say no you haven't had shots.  Very Scary.  The Govenor was wrong, and should have allowed the cruise industry in Florida to ask that all cruisers up to 95% at least, were vaccinated and to show proof.  Not sure why the cruise industry bowed to the Govnuh.  Tough guy taking away the rights of the vaccinated passengers.

You are correct in one regard. The Florida vaccine passport ban does apply, however, Carnival has opted to sail with not less than 95% vaccinated passengers. They did this to avoid test cruises. The workaround to the ban is that passengers confirm their vaccine status online or by phone prior to sailing and then voluntarily submit their proof at boarding. If they do not, they are considered unvaccinated and could be denied boarding if the 5% unvaccinated cap has been reached.  If Carnival sails with more than 5% unvaccinated passengers, then they are in violation of the CDC requirement and could lose their certification to sail. At least this is the way it is “supposed” to work. 

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

You are correct in one regard. The Florida vaccine passport ban does apply, however, Carnival has opted to sail with not less than 95% vaccinated passengers. They did this to avoid test cruises. The workaround to the ban is that passengers confirm their vaccine status online or by phone prior to sailing and then voluntarily submit their proof at boarding. If they do not, they are considered unvaccinated and could be denied boarding if the 5% unvaccinated cap has been reached.  If Carnival sails with more than 5% unvaccinated passengers, then they are in violation of the CDC requirement and could lose their certification to sail. At least this is the way it is “supposed” to work. 

Ok, thanks for that info.  I am thinking RC since that is what we said and they are not doing the same way as Carnival unfortunately.

• Like 1