Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising

Djptcp

We have three Holland America cruises booked, but also have three Carnival cruises booked so I was reading the posts today from passengers currently sailing on the Carnival Horizon and Vista. What I found disturbing is that there are no menus given to passengers in the dining rooms and the daily Fun Times with all the activities, etc. is no longer on paper. One has to view the menus and the Fun Times on the Carnival Hub on your smart phone. The menus are also posted outside the dining rooms so people can take photos using their smart phones. Well, we don't have a smart phone and have never wanted one or being on the Hub. We have a TracPhone we bought a couple of years ago that we take on long car trips, but otherwise it sits in my purse turned off. Don't tell us to "get with the times" as our choice should be respected and alternatives to see the menus and Fun Times need to be provided to us. Not every passenger on every cruise has a smart phone. There were posts from other future Carnival passengers who asked "what if you don't have a smart phone? " I haven't seen any responses yet.

Carnival said it would check passenger's CDC vaccination cards and that wasn't done at embarkation. I know they aren't requiring vaccination for sailing, but one would think they would want to know how many passengers are actually vaccinated. I also disagree with their self serve buffets.

I did like the idea of the new muster drill process - check in at regular muster station and then watch the information on your cabin TV. Check in at muster station must be done before sailing.

• Like 6

With 6 cruises on your horizon it doesn't sound like you're very concerned about the reasons most are still not cruising. Not passing out menus is one way to avoid passing around a virus. You do have a way to see what is on the menu and I doubt that you'll go hungry. As to no "smartphone" I get it but that's your choice. I suspect that there will also be a way to view menus on your stateroom's TV.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

We have three Holland America cruises booked, but also have three Carnival cruises booked so I was reading the posts today from passengers currently sailing on the Carnival Horizon and Vista. What I found disturbing is that there are no menus given to passengers in the dining rooms and the daily Fun Times with all the activities, etc. is no longer on paper. One has to view the menus and the Fun Times on the Carnival Hub on your smart phone. The menus are also posted outside the dining rooms so people can take photos using their smart phones. Well, we don't have a smart phone and have never wanted one or being on the Hub. We have a TracPhone we bought a couple of years ago that we take on long car trips, but otherwise it sits in my purse turned off. Don't tell us to "get with the times" as our choice should be respected and alternatives to see the menus and Fun Times need to be provided to us. Not every passenger on every cruise has a smart phone. There were posts from other future Carnival passengers who asked "what if you don't have a smart phone? " I haven't seen any responses yet.

Carnival said it would check passenger's CDC vaccination cards and that wasn't done at embarkation. I know they aren't requiring vaccination for sailing, but one would think they would want to know how many passengers are actually vaccinated. I also disagree with their self serve buffets.

I did like the idea of the new muster drill process - check in at regular muster station and then watch the information on your cabin TV. Check in at muster station must be done before sailing.

This is the most disturbing thing.  I too have seen social media posts that CDC cards were not checked. They ARE required to have at least 95% vaccinated passengers in order to sail without a test cruise and are clearly violating their obligation to confirm passenger vaccination status. Apparently, as is commonplace with Carnival, they are not following the rules.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

We don't have smart phones either and have plans to get one so when it comes to having proof of vaccinations on a smart phone what about all those people that don't have one. We have been using the paper, " International Certificate of Vaccination " in all our past travels which was just fine.

• Like 2

Maybe the vaccinations were checked prior to embarkation day.  

We have local restaurants that DH has to ask for a paper menu, it is like water in some locations, you need to ask as it is not automatically offered.

I told DH this morning that he is joining the rest of us and getting a smart phone  when we start traveling next year (I need a new one anyway, he will get my hand me down).  You can get a cheap tracphone smart phone or you can use a tablet.  You don't need to have a data plan on your phone to use the internet on HAL. I looked at Ting Mobile this morning and they offer an unlimited talk and text plan for $10 a month, I used Ting for years and was delighted that I have affordable service throughout most of the world.   PS.  Phone prices drop immensely in late September when Apple announces their latest model

Edited by Mary229

38 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You don't have to use your phone, you can use a tablet for all those things. Did anyone ask if they had backup printed menus? That is a common practice.

Earlier today I watched John Heald reporting LIVE on the Horizon and he was explaining the QR codes and stated several times that even if you do not have a smart phone, it was no problem they can give you a paper copy of each and every menu and of all instructions that show the QR codes. By looking at the average age that were on this first sailing of the Carnival Horizon I thought it was a 14 day HAL cruise that gave special pricing to thoe 75 years and older. I am sure many did not have smart phones although all the guests seemed to know who John Heald was and asking for his autograph.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Maybe the vaccinations were checked prior to embarkation day.  

We have local restaurants that DH has to ask for a paper menu, it is like water in some locations, you need to ask as it is not automatically offered.

I told DH this morning that he is joining the rest of us and getting a smart phone  when we start traveling next year (I need a new one anyway, he will get my hand me down).  You can get a cheap tracphone smart phone or you can use a tablet.  You don't need to have a data plan on your phone to use the internet on HAL. I looked at Ting Mobile this morning and they offer an unlimited talk and text plan for $10 a month, I used Ting for years and was delighted that I have affordable service throughout most of the world.   PS.  Phone prices drop immensely in late September when Apple announces their latest model

According to Carnival protocols and to people sailing, folks were asked online if they were vaccinated and were willing to provide documentation as to status at boarding.  There was no requirement to present photos of vaccination cards prior to boarding.  Hopefully the cases where cards weren’t requested are one-offs.  But I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they weren’t.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Earlier today I watched John Heald reporting LIVE on the Horizon and he was explaining the QR codes and stated several times that even if you do not have a smart phone, it was no problem they can give you a paper copy of each and every menu and of all instructions that show the QR codes. By looking at the average age that were on this first sailing of the Carnival Horizon I thought it was a 14 day HAL cruise that gave special pricing to thoe 75 years and older. I am sure many did not have smart phones although all the guests seemed to know who John Heald was and asking for his autograph.

Thank you for the information.  I was wondering if they had QR code’s.  It sounded odd that you had to take a picture of the menu.  QR code’s are common place where the I live.  My sister doesn’t usually carry around her phone and she never has a problem getting a paper copy.  It makes perfect sense that cruise lines would do this.

30 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I suspect many things will/have changed.

Kirk that is saying a lot in a short sentence . For the future  if any cruise lines allows non vaccinated  people to sail it can be their own demise  .Reason if just one ship  gets   a new strain infecting pax ,all bets are off for the future of cruising from US ports   .JMVHO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t worry too much about these short Caribbean, Mexican bound, cruises. What the cruise lines have always done is abide by the rules of the ports they are visiting.   If you are worried don’t sail to places that don’t require a vaccination 

• Like 1

While I’m pretty good on my IPad, I’m horrible on my smart phone and so is DH.  We use them as phones and DH to get news.

I am paranoid to have Data on the ships so keep my phone off until I am in port.

I guess I just haven’t been lured to loving the phone.  I do love my Ipad so hopefully that works if need be.  The last thing DH and I want is to carry a phone on the ship.  In fact, he leaves his at home.  One is more than sufficient IMO.

• Like 5

I don't see it as a big deal.  You come to the dining room, sit at the table and ask the waiter what is for dinner?  Is he or she going to tell you to break out your phone and ask him or her that way?  Just relax.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, CJcruzer said:

Take a picture of the posted menu with your camera!  👍🏻

Carol

That's a good idea.  But....

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I suspect many things will/have changed.

....maybe changed enough that I may have no more interest in cruising.  

Covid is not primarily communicated on surfaces.  That, I think has been fairly well established.  The lack of hard copy menus and daily programs due to Covid transmission concerns is unwarranted.  A bit of cost savings for corporate?  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

You come to the dining room, sit at the table and ask the waiter what is for dinner?  Is he or she going to tell you to break out your phone and ask him or her that way

No, that would be unacceptable service.  But, if I need the menu to be repeated more than once/twice/thrice....what impact will that have on the productivity of my Steward?  

Let’s remember - this is a Carnival sailing - not a HAL sailing.  Let’s wait for Lisa’s @LAFFNVEGAS’s live report.

We’ll know much more then 😉. And things will be ever changing I suspect over the next few months.

• Like 9

I'm on both sides.  First, I don't have a smart phone and there is good reason for it.  I have a tablet and my son's hand me down smart phone which I can connect in wifi.  I can also scan the QR code with my tablet (and phone) and after I used it once, I liked it.  While we are "used to" how things were done in the past, there is a lot of unnecessary printing of paper.  I have been out to some restaurants and asked for a paper menu and it was provided.  Not everyone has smart phones, and businesses do recognize this.  My parents, who recently died never had a computer, and despite trying to get them to use a flip phone, even the senior one, they just could not connect the dots.  So, "get with the times" is not a suitable response.  I have what is called a google voice telephone number.  Using my app, and when I am in wifi, I can call, talk and text anyone FREE on my tablet and my son's old hand me down.  I can also connect bluetooth to them.  The great thing is that nowadays wifi is available almost everywhere for free.  I've been traveling in this manner for at least 10 years, and not once have I needed a smart phone.  Sure, a few times, there was no wifi, but then I lived through times when we had NO cell phones and got on just fine.  Just sayin'.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Djptcp said:

You are not alone in not having a smartphone.

And if you read the Princess boards, it seems that their Medallions make smartphones necessary, but are so glitchy that many, many with smartphones are still having problems. You even have to give all your information such as passport etc. now with smartphones and not as in the past on their cruise personalizer.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kazu said:

While I’m pretty good on my IPad, I’m horrible on my smart phone and so is DH.  We use them as phones and DH to get news.

I am paranoid to have Data on the ships so keep my phone off until I am in port.

I guess I just haven’t been lured to loving the phone.  I do love my Ipad so hopefully that works if need be.  The last thing DH and I want is to carry a phone on the ship.  In fact, he leaves his at home.  One is more than sufficient IMO.

If there's a QR code for a menu you can definitely pick that up on an IPAD.  A poster on the Crystal Serenity cruise posted a photo of a QR code on her live thread.  Good news is that by aiming my IPAD camera at the picture of the QR code on the live report it took me to a link to the menu.  The bad news is that the link was to the ship's network so I couldn't access it from home.  You can try it yourself at post 131 on this thread:

Roy

39 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I don't see it as a big deal.  You come to the dining room, sit at the table and ask the waiter what is for dinner?  Is he or she going to tell you to break out your phone and ask him or her that way?  Just relax.

yes, that does make sense. I'm sure you can also read the menu outside the dining room and decide then on your choices.

And if all else fails, there is always the buffet.😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That's a good idea.  But....

....maybe changed enough that I may have no more interest in cruising.  

Covid is not primarily communicated on surfaces.  That, I think has been fairly well established.  The lack of hard copy menus and daily programs due to Covid transmission concerns is unwarranted.  A bit of cost savings for corporate?  

Let's see if they also save paper by not having all the paper ads that are distributed to the cabins that we all throw away.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2