Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising

Djptcp

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, of course it is. But is that the reason first the CDC said no self serve buffet, and then changed it to recommended no self serve buffet?

Not sure if I am following your change of topic. I thought we were discussing menus in the MDR...

Hasn't HAL limited self-service buffets for a good while now, and aren't they universally felt to be a better alternative to the free-for-all?

Maybe in the future cruise lines could offer an add-on charge for those who want to keep using the paper menus. Sort of like a carbon-offset but for the wasted paper. 😉

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Roz said:

Coincidentally, today several business journals carried articles about how some restaurants are coping with the labor shortage by having customers order using apps or QR codes. 

Rather than slow down service in the MDR while waiters recite a litany of dining selections over and over again, I'm sure disposable paper menus will be available.  

We can only hope !   🙂 

• Like 2

When we look at an on board menu it is not like we have to memorize the entire two or three pages word for word.   Nor do we bother with the the descriptors that are placed on the most common dishes.

Steak, meat loaf, pasta, chicken, sole, salad  etc are about the only things we need to remember.   No need to remember all of the embellishments.  And more often than not it only comes down to a choice of one or two for us..  So hardly much of a memory feat  we look at the menu on the way into the DR.

Not to mention if you are at a table with others you get to hear all the options again as each person places their order.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

I can’t believe how long this discussion is. LOL

Could it possibly be  due to the fact that some of us are quite concerned about whether we will be comfortable and able to cruise again without having to invest sums in technology  that we would prefer to spend on our future cruises?  Plus, why do we need to learn to use a new technology in order for us to cruise?  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

And, if you don't own either of those as well?  

Then I guess you ask for a paper menu and look at the TV. 😉 

Frankly, my Ipad was one of the best investments I made.  I can keep in contact with my tour guides, my dog’s vacation home, my family, bank accounts, etc at my leisure.

But that’s me.  I realize it doesn’t work for everyone 😉. And I am not a techie 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

When we look at an on board menu it is not like we have to memorize the entire two or three pages word for word.   Nor do we bother with the the descriptors that are placed on the most common dishes.

Steak, meat loaf, pasta, chicken, sole, salad  etc are about the only things we need to remember.   No need to remember all of the embellishments.  And more often than not it only comes down to a choice of one or two for us..  So hardly much of a memory feat  we look at the menu on the way into the DR.

Not to mention if you are at a table with others you get to hear all the options again as each person places their order.

I can't even begin to count how many times I've changed my mind last minute.  DH and I enjoy the last minute review. Part of the process.   Life is slow on a cruise ship!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I guess you ask for a paper menu

Has the "KISS" philosophy been declared "dead and forgotten"?  

"KISS" worked for generations before modern technology raised its "sometimes ugly head".  

No doubt:  modern technology has its use; its place.  But, it is not the best answer to all situations.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Could it possibly be  due to the fact that some of us are quite concerned about whether we will be comfortable and able to cruise again without having to invest sums in technology  that we would prefer to spend on our future cruises?  Plus, why do we need to learn to use a new technology in order for us to cruise?  

It's not necessary to invest so much in technology that you're unable to afford to cruise.  And if one is capable of using technology to post on CC, one has the brain power to learn how to use a smartphone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

And if one is capable of using technology to post on CC, one has the brain power to learn how to use a smartphone. 

And, the reason I am required to do so if I wish to spend my treasure on cruising?  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The smartphone has evolved from a "geewhiz" gadget to a ubiquitous part of life.  One can't park in many places without the "ParkMobile" app (like in Miami Beach).  I could name numerous other compelling examples.

A younger person on this thread was wondering why this discussion is even going on.  Get used to this reaction from anyone under 50 when you complain about not having a smartphone. 

Finally, I am certain that HAL will provide a disposable paper menu upon request.  They just don't want to lay them out for every seat in the MDR. 

Personally, I find handling a reusable menu just before eating to be unsanitary.

igraf

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

And, the reason I am required to do so if I wish to spend my treasure on cruising?  

No, I would not put it that way.  What I would say is that if you want to do international travel (not including simple cruises from the US to the Caribbean or Alaska) you will likely need to invest in a Smartphone just like you need to invest in a valid Passport.  There are plenty of folks who have long been content to limit their travel to domestic and closed loop cruises...for which they never needed to invest in Passports.  And those folks will likely be able to continue that kind of limited travel Bjust like those without Smartphones will be able to do some kinds of limited travel.  But for much of International travel folks are now going to need 4 basic things which is a Passport, a Smartphone, some kind of proof of COVID vaccination, and a major credit card.

Hank

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

But for much of International travel folks are now going to need 4 basic things which is a Passport, a Smartphone, some kind of proof of COVID vaccination, and a major credit card.

Well, I have three of these four.  

I started using a computer "kicking and screaming" when I needed to do so during my career.  I slowly--and I mean slowly--became comfortable with what I had to do in my job.  Comfortable enough that when I retired, I bought my own computer.  (An Administrator in my profession was among the first whom I e-mailed when I got online.  His response was memorable:  "My God.  Pigs do fly!" )

OK.  I buy a smart phone.  Instruction book included?  If not--and probably isn't--what do I now do if I have a question/issue?  I have no teenage relatives to help me.  My closest relatives that might be able to help me live in Maryland and Alaska.  

So, what would you suggest?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My suggestion? Do as I do: don't worry about it. Let those who create the problem also have the solution for you. 

I don't have a smart phone, don't want or need one, and have no intention of getting one. As it is, I resent the $15/month I pay to have my flip phone work in case of emergency. 
If HAL wants to make everything on board electronic, they can accommodate those of us who prefer an older, more gracious, way of sailing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

It's not necessary to invest so much in technology that you're unable to afford to cruise.  And if one is capable of using technology to post on CC, one has the brain power to learn how to use a smartphone. 

You would think 😛.  That said people think that using an iPad is so different than a phone.  It’s just not and I have a Samsung phone.  I also have an iPod that I throw in the mix just for giggles.  I must be a genius 😉.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I started using a computer "kicking and screaming" when I needed to do so during my career.  I slowly--and I mean slowly--became comfortable with what I had to do in my job.  Comfortable enough that when I retired, I bought my own computer.  (An Administrator in my profession was among the first whom I e-mailed when I got online.  His response was memorable:  "My God.  Pigs do fly!" )

OK.  I buy a smart phone.  Instruction book included?  If not--and probably isn't--what do I now do if I have a question/issue?  I have no teenage relatives to help me.  My closest relatives that might be able to help me live in Maryland and Alaska.  

Good question and I suppose you might need to sign up for some kind of local class on how to use a cell phone.  There are resources (if one looks) although I would admit that it does become humiliating for many folks.  I think we are of a similar generation.  When I went to College I had to key punch computer programs onto hundreds of 80 column punch cards and then wait (sometime hours) at the campus Computer Center for my program to be run on the available main frames.  There was no such thing as PCs, cell phones, and basic calculators that could do something like a Log would cost over $100!  I could not afford that high end HP Calculator and (horrors) had to use a slide rule!  My slide rule is now an antique with a similar one in a case of the Smithsonian.   

But time moves on and our generation needs to work at keeping up with our Grandchildren and even Great Grandchildren!  I am a stubborn old guy and do not accept that my 4 year old Grandson understands more of the new tech then me (even if it is true).  When I bought my first iPhone (about 7 years ago) I spent hours just teaching myself the basics.  Even today I have no clue how to use half the apps and functions on my current iPhone but I try and keep learning!  One of my best friends (who is in her 70s) still goes to college and is working on her first Bachelors Degree (in Law Enforcement Administration).  I mention this because the fact that we are growing old does not mean we have to give up and act old!  

So when you ask "what would I suggest?"  my answer is do not give in to aging.  Put that very experienced mind to work learning new things including how to use a modern Smartphone.  There is growing evidence that exercise of the mind is as important as exercise of our body.  

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Most phone services offer instructions classes and online there are many instructive choices.

Bottom line resources are available if you really want to become smart phone savvy.

I ‘m no techie but decided several years ago that it was in my best interest to try and stay current with technology. What triggered that was my father struggling and avoiding just Bank ATM machines.

One of so many resources. Probably not the best reference online but remember I’ m babysitting my five year old granddaughter! Holy Moly that is a hell of a job.

No excuses just make a choice to go to school and learn or continue to lag behind.

Hope you had a great Independence Holiday?

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 3

I’m one of those that do not like electronics at the dinner table.  When they are present people tend to focus on them rather than have conversations with their table companions.  Regrettably I seem to have lost that battle with family, except DM.  If a restaurant only offers me a QR code for the menu I walk.  Most likely we will skip the MDR, except on embarkation day and mariners lunch.  When I’m paying a surcharge in Tamarind or Pinnacle I fully expect a menu to be presented. If they can’t be provided then I’ll not give HAL additional money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I’m one of those that do not like electronics at the dinner table.  When they are present people tend to focus on them rather than have conversations with their table companions.  Regrettably I seem to have lost that battle with family, except DM.  If a restaurant only offers me a QR code for the menu I walk.  Most likely we will skip the MDR, except on embarkation day and mariners lunch.  When I’m paying a surcharge in Tamarind or Pinnacle I fully expect a menu to be presented. If they can’t be provided then I’ll not give HAL additional money.

I imagine all the restaurants will be using QR codes.  I will be shocked if they don’t have paper menus.  If they don’t, they clearly don’t know their customer base.

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

My suggestion? Do as I do: don't worry about it. Let those who create the problem also have the solution for you. 

I don't have a smart phone, don't want or need one, and have no intention of getting one. As it is, I resent the $15/month I pay to have my flip phone work in case of emergency. 
If HAL wants to make everything on board electronic, they can accommodate those of us who prefer an older, more gracious, way of sailing. 

DW has a tracphone flip phone. She pays a little over $20 including tax for 3 months service.

And I do think even without any payment the regular cell phones will allow emergency 911 calls.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:00 PM, Roz said:

Coincidentally, today several business journals carried articles about how some restaurants are coping with the labor shortage by having customers order using apps or QR codes. 

Rather than slow down service in the MDR while waiters recite a litany of dining selections over and over again, I'm sure disposable paper menus will be available.  

Technology is wonderful, except when it does not work.

In 2019 we went out for dinner on our anniversary. We try to eat by water. (A cruise works very well 😊.)  But in that year we were home at the time. We went to a location where we could sit on a deck by water. We had been there before, but there were new owners now though they were a local restaurant that we had frequented previously but now had changed locations.

The waitress took our order, but instead of the tried and true method of writing it down used something that looked like a smartphone. We were served our salads and chatted amiably, and then realized our main courses were taking a long time. I looked into the inside portion of the restaurant and saw several tables who were not there when we arrived were now eating. I went and complained, and learned that either the waitress had not did whatever  she needed to do to send in the order or it had not worked. Between that and the restaurant had now become quite busy including a very large table, our order was now pushed way back. We were about to say to hell with this and leave when the manager came and profusely apologized and said both our order would come soon and the dinner was being comped.

The next time we went out to eat at a place near where we were staying to be able to get a shuttle to the airport for the plane to our cruise port, I told the waitress the story and she sneered at the use of this "wonderful" new technology replacing pen and paper.