Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising

Djptcp

An additional concern for me is that HAL ‘s IT has had its ups and downs.  I have seen too many times where technology onboard does not work like it’s supposed to.  Another issue is updating the info the QR is pulling.  In the past I have looked up menus while onboard via the HAL intranet and the menu is several days old.

• Like 4

I have always chosen my menu choices prior to walking into the DR, it prevents me from over reaching and over eating.  You may find you like it.  As much as I like technology I have to admit I don’t want to read a menu on my phone screen at the table but I do like reviewing the menu before dinner.  

• Like 3

Great idea.  Saves passing around dirty menu folders or wasting paper by printing the menu on a disposable sheet.

My guess is that if you do not have (or do not want to use) a smartphone,  an ipad, or a camera the server will be happy to refresh you memory from your  reading of the menu at the door.  Really....how hard can this be??? 

Disturbing?  To us disturbing  is missing an anticipated port, having no A/C, a malfunctioning toilet, or water leakage in the cabin.  And not hardly as disturbing to us as covid has been for the past 18 months.  Or having almost raw chicken served in the D/R or talapia passed off as sole.

No wonder some people think than some cruisers are an entitled bunch.

Dining experience?   In most instances this is banquet food tarted up a little.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

An additional concern for me is that HAL ‘s IT has had its ups and downs.  I have seen too many times where technology onboard does not work like it’s supposed to.  Another issue is updating the info the QR is pulling.  In the past I have looked up menus while onboard via the HAL intranet and the menu is several days old.

I so agree with that 👍 

I’ve used the Navigator app to see what is on the menu and it has often not been the menu for the day but the day before even the one before that 😔 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iancal said:

No wonder some people think than some cruisers are an entitled bunch.

You really like to go over the top, don’t you?

Sorry but to have an up to date menu on Navigator is not entitled.  Nor is it to have a menu if you don’t have the technology.

Some people like to ponder a menu.  Having the words spouted off (if they don’t have a smart phone or Ipad) doesn’t make selection easy.

We do take our IPads but not everyone does.  Those folks deserve some consideration and I don’t think that makes them “entitled”.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry but to have an up to date menu on Navigator is not entitled.  Nor is it to have a menu if you don’t have the technology.

Some people like to ponder a menu.  Having the words spouted off (if they don’t have a smart phone or Ipad) doesn’t make selection easy.

We do take our IPads but not everyone does.  Those folks deserve some consideration and I don’t think that makes them “entitled”.

We don ‘t take our iPads to the DR either.

But as I said………I suspect the server will be more than happy to review the menu items for the table.  On one cruise line that we frequent this is par for the course..along with recommendations.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, iancal said:

We don ‘t take our iPads to the DR either.

But as I said………I suspect the server will be more than happy to review the menu items for the table.  On one cruise line that we frequent this is par for the course..along with recommendations.

If you have the technology and aren’t using it and are making the servers repeat the menu how is that not any less “entitled” than those that don’t have the technology and would like to study a menu that you already studied but didn’t bother to bring with you?

I guess I am missing the boat somewhere here. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Disturbing?  To us disturbing  is missing an anticipated port, having no A/C, a malfunctioning toilet, or water leakage in the cabin.  And not hardly as disturbing to us as covid has been for the past 18 months.  Or having almost raw chicken served in the D/R or talapia passed off as sole.

I was also "very disturbed" by these concerns. First world problems all. But, to each their own.

• Like 2

On many cruise lines you can read the menu on your cabin tv.

You can read the menu when you enter the DR

On many cruise lines the server lists the menu for the entire table.

Failing that, my guess is that your server would be happy to review the evenings menu with you on an individual basis.

How difficult is that?  It is not as if they have a  quiz  afterward to test comprehension.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

My last cruise was on the Carnival Miracle, Feb. 1 - Feb. 14, 2020.  Carnival's app is called The Hub and I downloaded it just for the heck of it, not expecting to use it much and not sure if I would like.  I loved it!  It was not required, but it was nice having all the info I needed in one easy to access place.  I just put my phone on airplane mode and didn't have to purchase a wi-fi package.  I could see the menus (all accurate and up to date), access my onboard account, get reminders about specialty dining reservations, etc.  

I assumed HAL's Navigator works the same way, but apparently not.  Maybe they've had some time to work the bugs out and by the time I cruise next March it will be functional.   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Djptcp said:

We have three Holland America cruises booked, but also have three Carnival cruises booked so I was reading the posts today from passengers currently sailing on the Carnival Horizon and Vista. What I found disturbing is that there are no menus given to passengers in the dining rooms and the daily Fun Times with all the activities, etc. is no longer on paper. One has to view the menus and the Fun Times on the Carnival Hub on your smart phone. The menus are also posted outside the dining rooms so people can take photos using their smart phones. Well, we don't have a smart phone and have never wanted one or being on the Hub. We have a TracPhone we bought a couple of years ago that we take on long car trips, but otherwise it sits in my purse turned off. Don't tell us to "get with the times" as our choice should be respected and alternatives to see the menus and Fun Times need to be provided to us. Not every passenger on every cruise has a smart phone. There were posts from other future Carnival passengers who asked "what if you don't have a smart phone? " I haven't seen any responses yet.

Carnival said it would check passenger's CDC vaccination cards and that wasn't done at embarkation. I know they aren't requiring vaccination for sailing, but one would think they would want to know how many passengers are actually vaccinated. I also disagree with their self serve buffets.

I did like the idea of the new muster drill process - check in at regular muster station and then watch the information on your cabin TV. Check in at muster station must be done before sailing.

Actions have consequences.

8 hours ago, Roz said:

I assumed HAL's Navigator works the same way, but apparently not.  Maybe they've had some time to work the bugs out and by the time I cruise next March it will be functional. 

It is close.  There were some delayed menus on the app last time I sailed (a million years ago).  I hope they have spent the last 16 months improving technology

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tiggerwudz said:

I believe you can request a printed menu in the dining room, probably nothing fancy and it will not be reused afterwards. Because they have to destroy them, they are trying to limit the numbers.

And exactly how many cases of Covid have been traced back to printed menus? Has anyone heard that the scientific community has said that Covid spread is by aerosol, not by surface contact? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No need to be paranoid about data usage while on a cruise.  Put your phone in airplane mode.  That's it.  Carnival is VERY clear about how to use your phone while on a cruise to prevent that unpleasant surprise phone bill when you return home.  I've also received text notices from my carrier when we started to sail and I'd forgotten to do that.  

My TA is on the Horizon sailing now.  She met Christine Duffy yesterday and was shown on Heald's "live" broadcast.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iancal said:

On many cruise lines you can read the menu on your cabin tv.

You can read the menu when you enter the DR

On many cruise lines the server lists the menu for the entire table.

Failing that, my guess is that your server would be happy to review the evenings menu with you on an individual basis.

How difficult is that?  It is not as if they have a  quiz  afterward to test comprehension.

It’s not difficult.  The menus have been on the TVs on hal for years for all the ships I have been on.  Now sometimes they don’t update them.  It’s hard for me to have so much angst over something so small.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, grsnovi said:

With 6 cruises on your horizon it doesn't sound like you're very concerned about the reasons most are still not cruising. Not passing out menus is one way to avoid passing around a virus. You do have a way to see what is on the menu and I doubt that you'll go hungry. As to no "smartphone" I get it but that's your choice. I suspect that there will also be a way to view menus on your stateroom's TV.

How do you know that there is a virus on board?

56 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

How do you know that there is a virus on board?

And even if there was a virus on board, why do you think anyone would think it would be hanging out on printed menus? The CDC a long time ago came away from thinking that the Covid virus was passed along by surface transmission.

16 hours ago, woodworker&knitter said:

It’s about time the cruise lines are going Green and saving trees. There is way too much useless paper given out every day. 

Assuming they also stop sending all those endless advertisements for the jewelry store or the liquor store or the spa too. Talk about waste! Everything should be accessible via phone or stateroom tv.

As to OP, Carnival's age demographic averages in the 40s and most of us have to have cell phones for work so I think you are just running up against the inevitable march of "progress." That said, I get what you are saying and have spent many happy cruises with my electronic slave driver secured in my stateroom safe. I'm sure they will have disposable paper menus if you ask. They will probably also have a printed daily bulletin at the front desk. 

As for the Covid stuff, I know for our upcoming flights to Europe, we have to input and scan in all that stuff online during a pre-check in process to give them time to confirm the info. I am guessing that is probably what the cruise lines are doing too. They seem to be doing more and more stuff long before you get to the pier. Some cruise lines even have you take your picture and upload it from home for your ship card ID. Should speed up embarkation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kazu said:

I think it was more than just the menus  He also disagree with their self serve buffets.  That didn't make much sense to me.  Aren't buffets usually self-service?  Perhaps OP meant "non-self serve."  The OP was perhaps overly concerned that "things weren't as they used to be."  Hence, the remark about "entitlement."