You are right about this but the problem is that they make perfect

"snatch and grab" targets and then good-bye  🛳️⛱️🛑🚑✈️🚈🚕🤨

and that would be no fun.     

Been travelling with an Ipad since 2013 and so far, so good 👍 

I’m pretty careful just as I would have to be with a smart phone 😉 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m pretty careful just as I would have to be with a smart phone 😉 and

But Ipads are just too clumbsy on a cruise.   You have to be really careful you don't poke your neighbor accidentally when you are taking a pan shot.

It's not the edges of the Ipad  that does the damage,  it is the edges of the elbows as you are swinging for your sail-away panorama shot and somebody accidentally photo-boms and well then,  you get the picture! ouch.

So,  for cruising.  I think the OP did a good job of showing some things but also showing the bright spot which was the new muster approach.   Looks like they didn't use the E-muster like other lines but it sounds like the new muster process is good to go.

Maybe Santa might just magically bring you (and DH) a brand new Iphone15 for the Holidays

3 minutes ago, JRG said:

But Ipads are just too clumbsy on a cruise.   You have to be really careful you don't poke your neighbor accidentally when you are taking a pan shot.

It's not the edges of the Ipad  that does the damage,  it is the edges of the elbows as you are swinging for your sail-away panorama shot and somebody accidentally photo-boms and well then,  you get the picture! ouch.

So,  for cruising.  I think the OP did a good job of showing some things but also showing the bright spot which was the new muster approach.   Looks like they didn't use the E-muster like other lines but it sounds like the new muster process is good to go.

Maybe Santa might just magically bring you (and DH) a brand new Iphone15 for the Holidays

While I agree with some of this I can't agree with it all.  I take my ipad on a cruise to use mostly in the room.  Its works well for that purpose.  I don't want to drag it to dinner,  because where are you going to put it?  Generally I don't find a ton of room on the table.  If I put it elsewhere I'm likely to forget it so I find my phone works great.  I have zero desire to have an iphone as I'd have to upgrade my phone package.  My samsung phone works perfectly well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JRG said:

No it doesn't Kazu,  you have to listen to Hank and the other posters who are advocating that seniors take the plunge and go from the fisher-price flip-phones to the smart phones.

You will not believe how many things you can do that you cannot do right now,  and you will not believe how may vendors and tourist traps will require smart phones to take advantage of little luxuries.

Believe me,   you travel experience will improve if both you and DH get matching Iphone 15's.

Seniors- please,  listen to your grandkids (and your great-grand-kids) - please get a smart phone.

Sooner or later,   cruisers who do not have a smart phone will slow down the passenger-centric processes.

Its like writing a check for groceries at the supermarket versus using plastic,   all you do is slow down the check-out line!

Saw a kid drop his Mom's iPhone overboard once.  It was funny.

• Haha 1

I do same as @kazu...iPad.  I have an iPad mini and it is my favorite device for travel.  I don't like to fool with my iPhone and just prefer to put that in the safe and forget about it through my travels.  With the iPad I can watch movies, take pictures, go online, read books, and look at the Navigator.  And now, I guess, read the menu at table.

Gonna need a bigger evening bag.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, JRG said:

Well clunky to you, not to me.  

I do pics with my phone not just my ipad but overall prefer the Ipad.  

Haven’t banged anyone yet and I like the bigger screen.

DH had an IPhone which he detested (along with the cost of the plan).  Our Samsungs work just fine, thank you.

I have no desire for an IPhone even though I like the Ipad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well clunky to you, not to me.  

I do pics with my phone not just my ipad but overall prefer the Ipad.  

Haven’t banged anyone yet and I like the bigger screen.

DH had an IPhone which he detested (along with the cost of the plan).  Our Samsungs work just fine, thank you.

I have no desire for an IPhone even though I like the Ipad.

I don't get this animosity over using whichever device we use and I agree with you - love my Samsung phone and tablet and both go on cruises with me. DH has an iPad and dislikes it so it stays home.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

And now, I guess, read the menu at table.

You are in good shape.

Its a good time to point out that,  when strolling the cobble-stone streets of your port looking thru the menus posted (trying to look like you know what you are doing) ,   your smartphone or your ipad can use the translator app and instantly transfer the font of the menu into English,  like you are looking through a magnifying glass.   It is like a Hollywood effect to do this instantaneously and know what you should be spending your lunch money on without guessing.

That knocks you out the first time you use it.

After you come to,   you realize what a great tool for international travel when you need to read transit info, or menu info or tourist destination info and it works so fast.

Seems like they are using it here for keeping menu-germ mitigation and that can't hurt so if everybody used the app to order,   then theoretically it works perfectly to not pass germs around at the MDR or elsewhere.

Everybody is still free to choose what device they use,  but if you rely SOLELY on your Ipad,  you may be making things harder on yourself,   so we're just sharing advice here,  not animosity,  that is what the CC spirit is all about.

Everybody upgrades eventually and my prediction is that if you have a 5G  smartphone you will be in really good shape.   If you have something else then you have something else and I can't help you but you may be in good shape or some other shape,  as far as phones go. 

Edited by JRG

7 minutes ago, JRG said:

You are in good shape.

Its a good time to point out that,  when strolling the cobble-stone streets of your port looking thru the menus posted (trying to look like you know what you are doing) ,   your smartphone or your ipad can use the translator app and instantly transfer the font of the menu into English,  like you are looking through a magnifying glass.   It is like a Hollywood effect to do this instantaneously and know what you should be spending your lunch money on without guessing.

That knocks you out the first time you use it.

After you come to,   you realize what a great tool for international travel when you need to read transit info, or menu info or tourist destination info and it works so fast.

Seems like they are using it here for keeping menu-germ mitigation and that can't hurt so if everybody used the app to order,   then theoretically it works perfectly to not pass germs around at the MDR or elsewhere.

Everybody is still free to choose what device they use,  but if you rely SOLELY on your Ipad,  you may be making things harder on yourself,   so we're just sharing advice here,  not animosity,  that is what the CC spirit is all about.

Everybody upgrades eventually and my prediction is that if you have a 5G  smartphone you will be in really good shape.   If you have something else then you have something else and I can't help you but you may be in good shape or some other shape,  as far as phones go. 

I do have 5G iPhone and like it very much, but keeping multiple devices charged and ready is for me not a good way to spend cruise time.  So I focus on my iPad.  Some people like gadgets and don't mind fussing with them.  That is certainly a valid hobby.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

While I agree with some of this I can't agree with it all.  I take my ipad on a cruise to use mostly in the room.  Its works well for that purpose.  I don't want to drag it to dinner,  because where are you going to put it?  Generally I don't find a ton of room on the table.  If I put it elsewhere I'm likely to forget it so I find my phone works great.  I have zero desire to have an iphone as I'd have to upgrade my phone package.  My samsung phone works perfectly well.

I have both, but my phone gets locked in the safe as soon as I get into the cabin. My iPad goes with me everywhere. I have a crossbody iPad case (Mickey Mouse since I'm a Disney fan) and it is not clumsy at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

I have both, but my phone gets locked in the safe as soon as I get into the cabin. My iPad goes with me everywhere. I have a crossbody iPad case (Mickey Mouse since I'm a Disney fan) and it is not clumsy at all.

Excellent.  That would not work for me just the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JRG said:

You are right about this but the problem is that they make perfect

"snatch and grab" targets and then good-bye  🛳️⛱️🛑🚑✈️🚈🚕🤨

and that would be no fun.     

I have two different smart phones, one that is the one I use and activated with a phone service.  The other a less expensive one, is not activated and I use it on board as an e-book reader and for connection to wifi.  That way if it should be stolen it is not my primary phone with all of my information on it.

IPad vs. Smart Phone vs. supplying hard copy "When and Where"s and menus:  

10-20 years from now, some may read these "debates" on CC and wonder:  what's all that about?  

My opinion:  until those of us who are among the more senior cruisers embark on our eternal cruise, cruise lines are going to need to provide us with our preferred means of on-board communications or experience much displeasure from the guests of that generation.  Such is being experienced on the recently begun cruises of Silverseas, and I think, Seabourn.  Hard copy is surviving.  

• Like 2