Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising

Djptcp

2 minutes ago, jackpotter said:

Ok, thanks for that info.  I am thinking RC since that is what we said and they are not doing the same way as Carnival unfortunately.

sorry not said but sail!  ugghh not enough coffee this morning.  siri not checking me!

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

How is that going to work if the passenger doesn't have a data plan offshore. If it is phone to phone you will need some sort of connectivity.

On a humorous note:  my cheap sister follows behind those excursions and steals a free walking tour.  It makes me laugh.  

I have no idea -- hasn't been any detailed feedback on it yet. One person did say that so far the tours have been so small that the headsets/earbuds were not really needed.  They are on the ship with only around 200 passengers!

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have no idea -- hasn't been any detailed feedback on it yet. One person did say that so far the tours have been so small that the headsets/earbuds were not really needed.  They are on the ship with only around 200 passengers!

Maybe the tour director carries a mobile hotspot.  The river lines use a device which I assume is a radio device similar to a Walkie talkie but that would work with a phone. 

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I just finished reading a long thread on the Silversea board regarding the first cruises on their new ship and learned that they are using a new system for shore excursions that requires passengers to use their phones and earbuds/pods on ship excursions to hear the guide.

Interesting....  Did not read any feedback (or push back) on that thread re: the menus).

There has been "push back" that has been discussed since what you may have read.  The phones/earbuds/pods have also not been happily accepted.  

Oh great so now we are expected to use our cell phones at the dinner table just to see a menu!

I like browsing through a 'real' menu, it's part of dining out. Not to mention table manners.

I used to love browsing through the Fun Time as well.

24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There has been "push back" that has been discussed since what you may have read.  The phones/earbuds/pods have also not been happily accepted.  

Can you share where you are reading this info?  Would love to also read it as I am following the new SS ship (looking to book in future).  Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, 123lmd said:

Oh great so now we are expected to use our cell phones at the dinner table just to see a menu!

I like browsing through a 'real' menu, it's part of dining out. Not to mention table manners.

I used to love browsing through the Fun Time as well.

Agreed!

22 minutes ago, 123lmd said:

Just a bit curious as to how looking at a menu on your phone is any more of a violation of "good table manners" than looking at an actual menu? 

In both cases you are not interacting with your table-mates and/or absorbed in something other than those present. So long as one is only using the phone to view the menu, there is absolutely no difference -- one could say that the phone is simply the new "folder" inside which one finds one's menu.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Can you share where you are reading this info?  Would love to also read it as I am following the new SS ship (looking to book in future).  Thanks. 

Regarding the tour issues, on the Silverseas Message Board---"Fly Me To the Moon"  by Lois R, post #106 discusses the issues.  

Cannot find what I read about the push back to providing hard copy menus in the MDR.  Maybe Seabourn?  Looked there and couldn't find anything there.  I read too many Forums?  Sorry.  If I see any other references, I will try to remember to forward those sources to you.  

I just watched a live presentation on FB by HAL; they are going to be doing many of the same things as Carnival using the HAL App. Seth did stress that paper menus and such will still be available, but it was pretty obvious that this is the wave of the future. My husband carries his phone, so no biggie for him; I don't usually carry mine on board, so I will have to change my ways, I guess. 

Hate what they are doing.  One of the things I love about a cruise is not having to carry a cell phone.  Evpect plenty of blow back on this from Holland people.  What a waste of time and money by H A.

• Like 3

It was reiterated several times in today’s Navigator App Live FB airing that if you don’t want to use a phone everything like your past experiences will still be in place.

For those of us who do embrace and use modern technology the Navigator App makes it easier as we can do much prior to check in and embarkation. For those who don’t want too or even don’t have smart phones it will be the same as before.

Choices!

• Like 8

14 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It was reiterated several times in today’s Navigator App Live FB airing that if you don’t want to use a phone everything like your past experiences will still be in place.

For those of us who do embrace and use modern technology the Navigator App makes it easier as we can do much prior to check in and embarkation. For those who don’t want too or even don’t have smart phones it will be the same as before.

Choices!

One thing I have learned about technology is that once introduced the old ways go away,  There is no way a company will continue to support two platforms,  These changes were not made for the consumers but for their bottom line

20 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Choices!

Not being familiar with the Navigator App, what can be done prior to check-in and embarkation?

2 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Not being familiar with the Navigator App, what can be done prior to check-in and embarkation?

Book excursions, dining, etc. Apparently anything (?) Our PCC told us we could even fill out the Health Assessment that will be required no sooner than 72 hours prior to boarding.

59 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

You can download boarding docs, complete medical questionnaires, Preview shore excursions, phone can be used in lieu of excursion tickets, book flights, check out the daily schedule, text, preview today’s menu, book specialty restaurants, spa treatments etc.

When on-board one connects through the ships intranet so your phone does not use data as it’s on airplane mode.

Some things like booking flights would require an internet connection.

Off the top of my head, there is probably more  but hope this helps answer your question.

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Same things you can do on a laptop. Except a laptop has a larger screen that you can actually read. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:42 AM, kazu said:

An Ipad or tablet works as well 🙂

No it doesn't Kazu,  you have to listen to Hank and the other posters who are advocating that seniors take the plunge and go from the fisher-price flip-phones to the smart phones.

You will not believe how many things you can do that you cannot do right now,  and you will not believe how may vendors and tourist traps will require smart phones to take advantage of little luxuries.

Believe me,   you travel experience will improve if both you and DH get matching Iphone 15's.

Seniors- please,  listen to your grandkids (and your great-grand-kids) - please get a smart phone.

Sooner or later,   cruisers who do not have a smart phone will slow down the passenger-centric processes.

Its like writing a check for groceries at the supermarket versus using plastic,   all you do is slow down the check-out line!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JRG said:

No it doesn't Kazu,  you have to listen to Hank and the other posters who are advocating that seniors take the plunge and go from the fisher-price flip-phones to the smart phones.

Really?  A bit uncalled for IMO.  I have a smart phone thanks as does DH as I have said previously.  I simply prefer my. IPad which can scan codes, etc.   Sheesh.

Maybe you don’t know all the capacities of the latest IPads? 😉 

• Like 3