Does the majority of CC users sail in suites ?

Smmessineo

I've been moderating the Celebrity boards for a long time and have sailed on many Celebrity ships with a good number of Cruise Critic members on board.  I do not think the majority (or even close to the majority) sail in suites.  We sail in a standard veranda (not concierge or Aqua) 99.9% of the time and I've been on many roll calls that list cabins.  There are always people who are in suites but I wouldn't say it's the majority.  

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, TeeRick said:

I'll bet you would see a lot of negative posts on suites if Celebrity starting giving them Infinite Verandas instead of regular balconies!😀  It is interesting that the early release of the plans for Edge included a partial "sunroom" IV in the CS suite with a regular balcony (small) beside it.  So 50:50.  They abandoned that concept in the final build.

This small balcony and IV is exactly how the Royal Suite on Edge looks. Except, they did not make the sitting area off of the living area into an IV and they did not enlarge the balcony. I think turning the sunroom into an IV would be great, best of both worlds.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, BigAl94 said:

Never have and unlikely that we will.

Same with us. We're lucky we can afford a regular balcony cabin. In fact, we were just discussing suites, Aqua, and Concierge class a few days ago, and thought that even if we had the budget, it is unlikely we would spend the extra money. Not sure we would find the value in it, not to say that others don't. 

Our 1st cruise was on the Connie, in an OV cabin. Our next cruise was on the Caribbean Princess, and we got a balcony for an unbelievable price. Will not sail in an oceanview again. Having quick access to outdoor space is a big thing for me. Everyone likes different things, and everyone has a different budget. That's why there are different types of cabin on each ship, and different types of cruise lines. 

Edited by kimlovesfl
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, Smmessineo said:

I am a long time reader here and since I came back to Cruise Critic and cruising after a pandemic break, it seems like half the posts are about suites, or written by those who sail in suites. I'm guessing this is an example of Bader-Meinhof phenomenon ( seeing something everywhere). But is there some truth to it? Does the average CC member lean towards suite occupancy?

This is just me pondering ....I am not anti-suite !  Due to the way we spend our time on a cruise, a suite would have little value for us.  But I definitely see its allure to other people .

Would love to be able to stay in a suite, but Concierge is the best out budget allows.

On 7/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, Host Anne said:

I've been moderating the Celebrity boards for a long time and have sailed on many Celebrity ships with a good number of Cruise Critic members on board.  I do not think the majority (or even close to the majority) sail in suites.  We sail in a standard veranda (not concierge or Aqua) 99.9% of the time and I've been on many roll calls that list cabins.  There are always people who are in suites but I wouldn't say it's the majority.  

Agree with you!

On 7/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, Host Anne said:

Thank you Anne. This is my experience too. I've done a few cabin crawls over the years and there has always been a good variety of cabin categories in the line up and certainly not many suites. I honestly believe that many posters here who stay in them like to talk about "suite life" and for some it's a badge of honour!

If your roll call happens to arrange a cabin crawl it's a nice way to have the opportunity to see other cabin set ups that might be consideration for the future. 

Phil 

We have sailed everything but suites and choose cabin based on Itinerary and weather. We can sail several insides for the price of one suite. We are just happy to be on the ship . Also , I have toured all the amazing suites and if I had one I wouldn't want to leave to. I am too social to be in my cabin all day.

12 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

Who wouldn't love to stay in a suite?  Priority boarding, a  butler, lounger on the balcony, dining in Luminae...  the list goes on and on.  I can dream.....

We just returned from Millenium Alaska cruise. We stayed in a Celebrity Suite. No priority boarding. No lounger on balcony…we had to request footstools for our chairs and received tub seats. Lol. Butler was great as was Luminae. 

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thank you Anne. This is my experience too. I've done a few cabin crawls over the years and there has always been a good variety of cabin categories in the line up and certainly not many suites. I honestly believe that many posters here who stay in them like to talk about "suite life" and for some it's a badge of honour!

If your roll call happens to arrange a cabin crawl it's a nice way to have the opportunity to see other cabin set ups that might be consideration for the future. 

Phil 

Yikes. No “badge of honor” here. We enjoy the extra space and Luminae food/service. 

• Like 2

I contemplated - and indeed had even booked - a Sky Suite on the Summit, though not until Feb 2023, but I've shifted it back to the solo IV on the Beyond because I don't mind the solo IVs, I can cruise for 7 days in that for less than 5 days in a Sky on the Summit, and it's mostly new-to-me ports.

I'm still iffy on it - mainly because the Beyond especially seems to be 100% into the Goop thing.

Honestly what will likely happen is I'll push the thing far enough out that it won't matter that the deposit is non-refundable and just not pay the balance. Especially if more of Celebrity's focus goes towards Goop.

If I ever lived on a ship, a suite would certainly be sweet….however, after 40+ cruises, I’m always gonna pick quantity of cruises versus space inside my cabin. I’ve been extremely happy with an inside cabin, and will only book a balcony if the price is right. Give me a lounger on a quiet open deck any day of the week, over a closed in balcony. Happy cruising folks!!!! 

• Like 2

We sometimes sail in suites on Princess and AQ on X, usually book obstructed  cabins with balconies, and have had several ocean view obstructed non balconies and  a smattering of inside cabins. 

Next cruise, full suite on Princess due to 150% FCC due to cancellation.  

Though I’ve seen some very appealing Inside and Ocean View cabins on cabin crawls (especially on Edge) I can’t imagine not being able to get fresh air in my cabin whenever I want to. We began in a Veranda, then took an upgrade offer to a Sky Suite on our next cruise (before Luminae or suite perks existed). We returned to Verandas for the next ones (regular, Concierge, Aqua). Those included a Concierge IV on Edge. Our last one before the shutdown was a corner aft Sky Suite. Next up are Sky Suites on Edge & Equinox, after which we return to an IV and three SVs. So, we’re certainly not wedded to suites. That said, they have a chance to convince us on our next two😂

On 8/8/2021 at 11:37 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Wow. 

My parents came to the UK as immigrants in the 1950s and had working class (blue collar) jobs that many native British people would not do, my mother cleaned hospitals. Neither could read or write because they had to work to support their families not go to school, but they made sure their 2 children took advantage of the opportunities available in the UK. Both my late sister and I gained masters degrees. 

So if it is a badge of honour to be able to sail in the accommodations I want, fly international first/business class, stay in 5 star hotels or the larger cabins (never had smaller than a CS on any ship on any cruise line) then I am guilty as charged. My only sadness is that my parents are no longer here to see how their early sacrifice paid off for the blessings it has provided my family and I.

• Like 1