Does the majority of CC users sail in suites ?

Smmessineo

This will be my first cruise on CC, and we did book a sky suite to gain entry to perks because after a busy and stressful year, we didn't want to wait in line at bars, fight for pool chairs....we wanted serenity, calm, quiet, and want to be pampered after coming out of a year plus of work craziness and want to RELAX.  So this time it came down to what we were looking for and the suite offered that.  We will see how it is, sounds like it will be VERY nice to be spoiled.  For once I think we will use the butler, again to be pampered this time as that's what we are going for, relaxation.  

We have booked suites on Carnival and Oceania cruise lines in the past.  Carnival was extra FCC we had, so we splurged for the bigger room; Carnival does nothing for people in suite, no perks at all.  Oceania- the first time we got a suite we found the price was right for a 10 day European cruise and the second time we got a suite was an 18 day Tahiti to LA cruise with 9 sea days and more time spent in the room.   Oceania does offer some perks for those in suites but any room on Oceania is nice.  The suite on CC will offer the most perks we have experienced thus far in going up to that level.  Cant wait for 24 JULY to get here!  Happy cruising all!  

• Like 1

Only one suite here, an incredible upgrade from AQ  Singapore to Sydney.  For the next 2 segments of that cruise we moved back to AQ and found we liked Blu better than Luminae.  We mostly book AQ.

We have never sailed in a suite....yet.    Typically we are basic balcony stateroom folk.      Have three cruises scheduled between now and April 2022, and they are a mix.     

• Our November cruise will be on Summit and in a Concierge aft cabin.   This will be our first aft cabin.    Got it as a comped Blue Chip Club offer.  (Not a big gambler, maybe $200 per cruise but they reached out with a great offer.   A couple of great offers actually).   Looking forward to our first Aft Balcony.
  • Our January 2022 cruise will be on RCL Odyssey of the Seas.    Just your typical Balcony room.    Had no real deal for this 8 day cruise other than on line booking deals.    We'll do just great in our Starboard side (not sure why but we always choose starboard side) balcony cabin.  
  • Our April 2022 sailing on Apex will be in a Sky suite !!     The first time we will ever be in a suite.    This was another Blue Chip club offer.    It was originally offered in the peak of the pandemic for an April 2021 sailing on Edge.   We did a Lift and Shift to Apex when it seemed April 21 was likely a no go.     The original offer was for an inexpensive balcony room.   When we inquired about the price for a suite they offered $2900 total for the both of us, with all suite perks included.    At that price for that ship (Edge or Apex) we couldn't say no.

So the very long winded answer to the question is many many CC members aren't in suites.   As others have said, some of the more experienced and prolific posters do like suites.    So from my perspective, you get a great mix here.    Makes for great planning advice.

I think there may be more talk of suites because more people are upgrading to suites or just splurging a bit after being cooped up. Everyone likes a little reassurance that the splurge is worth it and we all have wondered what the butler can do.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mk960072 said:

We have booked suites on Carnival and Oceania cruise lines in the past.  Carnival was extra FCC we had, so we splurged for the bigger room; Carnival does nothing for people in suite, no perks at all.  Oceania

That is our experience with HAL, other than priority boarding they offer very little amenities compared to X for suites bookings. You pay as much or more on HAL for a suite as you will with Celebrity for nothing more than a larger cabin. The private Club Orange dinning venue on some HAL ships is a total joke compared to Blu and anyone willing to pay an extra $50pp per day can use Club Orange. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

We have cruised in everything except for an inside. On longer cruises with more sea days, we prefer getting a suite. If port intensive, it really does not matter. However, I need to always have a balcony.

We became hooked on suites after getting a good offer to upgrade to a large one on Oceania. Having 2 bathrooms is a luxury and it makes us feel like we are at home. We really could care less about having a butler and prefer being more self sufficient.

Most often we always book a suite now and DH is much happier with the extra space. 

• Like 1

I guess we are very spoiled after a long working life. We saved our pennies and can afford to sail in suites. We are now in our eighties, and enjoy all the luxuries life can offer. 
This is our first Celebrity sailing ..August 7th…in many years. We did celebrate my 70th birthday with all our kids and grandkids in 2007. Twelve balcony cabins on Celebrity.
We are Regent suite sailors, but chose this sailing because we want to sail out of Florida. It’s much easier for us. 
This sailing, we are in a Celebrity Suite. I will let you all know how it was. 
We are looking so forward to this cruise🙏🤞
Sheila

• Like 5

Our first cruise was on Carnival in a room with a small porthole...

For many years our focus when cruising was ‘destinations’. However, you hit a point in life where your ship becomes a destination in its own right. At this point you know you are going to spend more time in your room, appreciate more personalised service, be less capable of queuing and at this point the ‘Sweet, suite life becomes the way to go...’

By this stage many of use will have contributed and replied to posts on CC on numerous occasions. I don’t think the majority of CC posters are suite guests but many of us may have been here long enough to work our way up through the ranks!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

We enjoy eating at the specialty restaurants

Never sailed in a suite or eaten in a speciality restaurant.

The nearest that we have got to a larger cabin was a corner FV on Infinity, which we upgraded to for hubbies 70 birthday. It was on a TA and they became available in June for an October sailing. It was at no extra cost, which did surprise me, but was considered to be in the same category, as the 2A that we had booked.

My husband is a true Yorkshireman, who looks after his pennies. We are quite happy with the food in MDR. In fact, I am Dairy Intolerant, so have to be very careful what I eat.

670AB96F-0BCF-43B1-AA48-2780417A6BB9.jpeg

2627B915-8E52-49D5-A7EE-6C833DD5FF4B.jpeg

E4C7D405-BBB7-45DD-A02B-8CD2E8CF9ED3.jpeg

9FE8D3DB-AE95-40E4-9C66-7792AE87AA67.jpeg

Been on Cruise Critic forever and on Celebrity 50 or so times.  Only 4 or 5 of those times have been in suites.  There are a few regular posters who sail in suites often, but overall I think it is a mix.  Our fave, after suites, is Aqua Class, where we usually sail due to the high price of suites on most sailings.

21 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Never sailed in a suite or eaten in a speciality restaurant.

The nearest that we have got to a larger cabin was a corner FV on Infinity, which we upgraded to for hubbies 70 birthday. It was on a TA and they became available in June for an October sailing. It was at no extra cost, which did surprise me, but was considered to be in the same category, as the 2A that we had booked.

My husband is a true Yorkshireman, who looks after his pennies. We are quite happy with the food in MDR. In fact, I am Dairy Intolerant, so have to be very careful what I eat.

670AB96F-0BCF-43B1-AA48-2780417A6BB9.jpeg

2627B915-8E52-49D5-A7EE-6C833DD5FF4B.jpeg

E4C7D405-BBB7-45DD-A02B-8CD2E8CF9ED3.jpeg

9FE8D3DB-AE95-40E4-9C66-7792AE87AA67.jpeg

Those FV cabins are very nice, unfortunately  if and when the Infinity get Revolutionized i believe they will become very expensive Sunset Suites.

• Like 1

We started out sailing in balcony staterooms with kids across the hall in an inside.  We had an Alaska with cruise tour booked when my son got notice of graduate school admission, which meant we only had 7 days, instead of 14, so our TA booked us on NCL in a HAVEN suite.  Well, that was it!  DH works hard and has limited time off.  When he is off, he likes to read and relax and doesn't like crowds....so a suite suits us best.  If I am travelling with a girl friend or my son, we don't bother with a suite, but will get a balcony.  We booked several X cruises, but they have all been cancelled (even 2022!) except for a short one coming up in March (in a Sky Suite).  Looking forward to comparing X to our HAVEN and MSC Yacht Club experiences!

• Like 1

When we started cruising, we did an oceanview for 4 (me, DW, 2 kids). After that we went to strictly balconies for a spell, still squeezing 4 in one cabin. About 7-8 years ago, we did a JS -- loved it -- we really value the extra space and do spend time in the cabin or on the balcony, more so than at a bar onboard. About 4 years ago, did a GS for just the two of us -- and it happened. Lately, and almost all of our future cruises are in GS or above on Royal or an SS on Celebrity. We are retired now, kids are both married with their own houses. We do one blow-out cruise with all 8 of us every August. This year in an Aquatheatre Suite , next year in a 4-bdr Villa Suite on Harmony of the Seas. 

I guess I'm skewing the data too. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

We've never sailed in a suite, and have never had a desire to do so.

Our preferred cabin is an oceanview.  The only time we've had a balcony is when it was cheaper than an OV, but we really didn't appreciate it.

We like a comfortable cabin, a lounging area, and a view of the ocean, but eating in the cabin is not for us, so no need for tables, etc.  We much prefer to be out and about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

When we started cruising, we did an oceanview for 4 (me, DW, 2 kids). After that we went to strictly balconies for a spell, still squeezing 4 in one cabin. About 7-8 years ago, we did a JS -- loved it -- we really value the extra space and do spend time in the cabin or on the balcony, more so than at a bar onboard. About 4 years ago, did a GS for just the two of us -- and it happened. Lately, and almost all of our future cruises are in GS or above on Royal or an SS on Celebrity. We are retired now, kids are both married with their own houses. We do one blow-out cruise with all 8 of us every August. This year in an Aquatheatre Suite , next year in a 4-bdr Villa Suite on Harmony of the Seas. 

I guess I'm skewing the data too. 

mac_tlc

I am with you.  1x/year cruiser here (rare occasion 2x) and I splurge for a suite.  I tend to not do port intensive cruises and spend a lot of time on my balcony, breakfast almost everyday, libations always.  Love and utilize the service of the always fantastic Celebrity butlers.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

We have done a suite once in all of our cruises.

It turned out to be of little value to us and I personally regretted spending the money.

I don’t need a butler, a special deck to layout in the sun or a dedicated bar or lounge.

We enjoy eating at the specialty restaurants and therefore a dedicated dining room is not a perk to us.

AQ- is very nice if the price difference is not more than a spa pass for the week would cost for the two of us. Blu is nice for a quiet breakfast.

A regular balcony stateroom is where we normally book. They are roomy enough for the two of us. Provides the needed fresh air that my mind thinks I need😉 and the savings allow us to take longer cruises or more than the one a year that we try and take.

That’s us. May bid on a move up to AQ, but balcony is as good as it gets for now. I’ve got two kids in orthodontia. 🤣

• Haha 1

We’ve been in every category as many have posted. Suite are a nice treat but it is possible to still have a somewhat luxurious experience in Veranda/ Concierge and certainly in AQ. 

Don’t much care for the larger room or the retreat lounge, the sundeck is okay - but Liminae is the real star of the show. They will do anything for you in there. 

1 minute ago, pumpkin 11 said:

We’ve been in every category as many have posted. Suite are a nice treat but it is possible to still have a somewhat luxurious experience in Veranda/ Concierge and certainly in AQ. 

Don’t much care for the larger room or the retreat lounge, the sundeck is okay - but Liminae is the real star of the show. They will do anything for you in there. 

Agree re Luminae.  Also as many others have said, whether inside cabin, OV, suite etc, a cruise is what WE make it.

• Like 2

Pretty sure it’s your perception…

38 cruises.  At least 2 were insides, 2 suites, guessing 10 ocean view with most balconies.  We like to cruise 3 times a year pre pandemic and would rather cruise 4 times or take longer trips then spend money on a suite.  It’s great, don’t get me wrong but we are just as happy in a balcony.  We do miss a balcony when we don’t have one.  

Edited by cruiselvr04

I looked at the spreadsheet I did up for the Edge and Solstice Class ship SRs, and there are 182 Suites on E-Class, which is 12% of the SRs, and 66 or 5% on the S-Class, so not a big number who actually cruise.

But, as noted, a much higher percentage on this forum. I’ve never gone Suite yet, but just booked for next year on a TransAtlantic because the pricing wasn’t a killer and thought a TA is The place to try the Retreat experience is worth it. 

Before, never really looked at them as an option because our Balcony SRs met our needs just fine, and I was (and am!) afraid of the classic, I’ll Never go back! We cruised Oceanview for a number of our first cruises and then Celebrity offered a balcony for a cruise we’d booked for a small upcharge and did it, and never went back! So we’ll see how this works for us.  

Den

• Like 1

We booked our first Sky Suite in December 2014 because I was nervous about traveling with the service dog I received earlier that year. I figured if she didn’t adapt well to the public areas full of people, we would at least have a bigger place to hang out and could have room service on the balcony. Also I wanted more storage space for the dog’s food, etc.  (This was before Luminae was added and at that point, only the higher end suites could use Michael’s.)

As it turned out, the dog wasn’t bothered at all by crowds, trooper that she is. But we liked the experience and booked another. Meanwhile, Luminae & Michael’s were added for Sky Suites and we loved both, especially on Solstice Class. Since then, we’ve stuck to Sky Suites except for one Aqua class cruise on Edge. We’ll take one more SS we booked pre-pandemic, then lifted & shifted to 2022, but after that the Sky suite pricing has gone far too high for my comfort level.

• Like 1

We have only done suites twice out of our 14 Celebrity cruises and that was to get extra space (or  balcony) for my family of 4.  Otherwise I have booked my family in FO cabins on C-class and FVs on M/S class. 

We do have two Xpedition Suites booked for our 2023 Galapagos cruise--mainly to have a private balcony.

009_9.jpgCat 1 Suite, Galaxy, Jun 2000 

Edited by mahdnc