Type of Covid test being used?

3Shelaghs

@3Shelaghs

It is the Antigen Test

Antigen tests are a method of detecting an active infection with SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes the illness COVID-19. These tests look for antigens, which are protein markers found on the outside of a SARS-CoV-2 virus.

The test is performed on a sample that is taken by swabbing inside your nose. The sample can be processed in a laboratory but is frequently analyzed on-site, often providing results within about 15 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Given the time frame, I guess you're referring to the LFT, not the PCR. Guess we're outta luck, fingers crossed Canada will accept the rapid tests in a few months.

I know that the standard test on board is a rapid test, so that's no good for foreign nationals who need a PCR to return home. I wonder if you could contact Celebrity to ask if getting a PCR test could be an option. Can't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Given the time frame, I guess you're referring to the LFT, not the PCR. Guess we're outta luck, fingers crossed Canada will accept the rapid tests in a few months.

I'm not sure which is more likely to come about, acceptance of Antigen tests or waiving the test requirement for fully vaccinated travellers returning to Canada. Hopefully, July 21 will see some significant changes, and if not then, August 21.

In the mean time, you might want to do some preliminary research on test locations at your debarkation port and have tentative plans on staying a night there before flying home.

• Like 1

This testing logistics is a nightmare! Test prior to flight, if no precruise hotel stay, then the first test will suffice.

Then test on embarkation, then test within the 72 hr mark of flight to Canada, so will need a hotel stay. PCR tests usually take 48 hrs, $$$$ keeps racking up.Then retest upon landing in Canada??

All of these tests are very expensive. Most recent price $199 Cdn pp. each test. The PCR's in Fort Lauderdale are HUGE $$$

It would be great if cruise lines offered the PCR test (at a cost) to make our return home smoother.

I also feel sorry for the folks that don't have a cell phone to receive all these results. 

Fingers crossed by the time we cruise, the tests will be a thing of the past. Hopefully some Cdn's will drop by here, with the low down.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

This testing logistics is a nightmare! Test prior to flight, if no precruise hotel stay, then the first test will suffice.

Then test on embarkation, then test within the 72 hr mark of flight to Canada, so will need a hotel stay. PCR tests usually take 48 hrs, $$$$ keeps racking up.Then retest upon landing in Canada??

All of these tests are very expensive. Most recent price $199 Cdn pp. each test. The PCR's in Fort Lauderdale are HUGE $$$

It would be great if cruise lines offered the PCR test (at a cost) to make our return home smoother.

I also feel sorry for the folks that don't have a cell phone to receive all these results. 

Fingers crossed by the time we cruise, the tests will be a thing of the past. Hopefully some Cdn's will drop by here, with the low down.

Exactly why we moved our Nov cruise to Oct 2022.    Our next cruise is Feb & do hope it’s all straightened out by then, good luck.

35 minutes ago, If only said:

Exactly why we moved our Nov cruise to Oct 2022.    Our next cruise is Feb & do hope it’s all straightened out by then, good luck.

We moved a cruise to March 2022 in the expectation that these hurdles will be gone. Things seem headed that way slowly, but we continue to monitor to ensure that there are no surprises.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We moved a cruise to March 2022 in the expectation that these hurdles will be gone. Things seem headed that way slowly, but we continue to monitor to ensure that there are no surprises.

I agree the problem with the Nov cruise was that final payment was Aug.  too soon for me.  I want all the wrinkles ironed out first.

Edited by If only
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Can anyone elaborate what type of Covid test is being used onboard?

Cdns need a specific type to return home. Hoping Celebrity uses it, to prevent having to book hotel post cruise.

Celebrity's Healthy at Sea webpage says "An additional test will be administered onboard, free of charge, if required for homeport, or home country re-entry."  The FAQs also say they have the capability to perform rapid PCR tests onboard.

So if Canada requires a molecular (e.g., PCR) test for re-entry, it seems like Celebrity would provide it free of charge.  I think you're just hearing about antigen tests because the majority of cruisers out of Sint Maarten are Americans, for whom an antigen test is sufficient to return to the US.

• Like 5

I don’t know what Celebrity’s onboard lab capabilities are, but there are point of care PCR systems that give results in under an hour. I just haven’t had a need or enough interest to look at midsize (multi specimen) systems for small lab use, but I assume those exist as well. 

You see 2-3 day turn arounds because specimens go out to larger labs that can batch them for efficiency. A PCR doesn’t take 2-3 days to run if you need the results in an hour or two. This is a case of you as the traveler potentially needing to understand what should be clinical lab practices that you shouldn’t need to know. There are standard methods for FDA clearance, but do you know who made the system performing your Complete Blood Count (CBC)? Did you even know that’s what a CBC was?

15 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Celebrity's Healthy at Sea webpage says "An additional test will be administered onboard, free of charge, if required for homeport, or home country re-entry."  The FAQs also say they have the capability to perform rapid PCR tests onboard

Which suggests to me they have at least a midsized system capable of running multiple simultaneous specimens. With either the usual waivers, or they’ve hired a medical lab person who can run a quality control program. Which is way in the weeds and cruisers shouldn’t need to understand!

22 hours ago, markeb said:

I don’t know what Celebrity’s onboard lab capabilities are, but there are point of care PCR systems that give results in under an hour. I just haven’t had a need or enough interest to look at midsize (multi specimen) systems for small lab use, but I assume those exist as well. 

You see 2-3 day turn arounds because specimens go out to larger labs that can batch them for efficiency. A PCR doesn’t take 2-3 days to run if you need the results in an hour or two. This is a case of you as the traveler potentially needing to understand what should be clinical lab practices that you shouldn’t need to know. There are standard methods for FDA clearance, but do you know who made the system performing your Complete Blood Count (CBC)? Did you even know that’s what a CBC was?

Which suggests to me they have at least a midsized system capable of running multiple simultaneous specimens. With either the usual waivers, or they’ve hired a medical lab person who can run a quality control program. Which is way in the weeds and cruisers shouldn’t need to understand!

Sitting here nodding. Cepheid’s system is scalable and semi automated. They might have a small Cobas though, on the St Maarten ships, just to get everyone tested within the time frame.

I’ve even wondered if they outsourced the testing on the ships where everyone disembarking has to be tested within a couple of days - that’s a whole different thing than testing the 5% unvaccinated or investigating a potential outbreak, etc. Are the islands close enough together for that to be feasible, I don’t think so…? 
Since I spent months of 2020 learning more than I really wanted to know this late in my career about testing by the seat of your pants, I’d love a busman’s holiday tour of the Med facilities.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Sitting here nodding. Cepheid’s system is scalable and semi automated. They might have a small Cobas though, on the St Maarten ships, just to get everyone tested within the time frame.

I’ve even wondered if they outsourced the testing on the ships where everyone disembarking has to be tested within a couple of days - that’s a whole different thing than testing the 5% unvaccinated or investigating a potential outbreak, etc. Are the islands close enough together for that to be feasible, I don’t think so…? 
Since I spent months of 2020 learning more than I really wanted to know this late in my career about testing by the seat of your pants, I’d love a busman’s holiday tour of the Med facilities.

Never planned to understand half of this. But I had to learn a lot in a hurry 8-9 years ago. Details kind of identify me. But totally understand, and I’d also love that tour!

We are booked on the Celebrity Edge August 7th.

I inquired before I made the payment that we would receive the required PCR test in order to fly back to Canada. I was assured that the proper test would be administered on board, free of charge, with results in order to fly home the day we disembarked.

I am truly hoping that the testing requirement will change on July 21st but I am not holding my breath.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, taveller said:

is the antigen test on board the less invasive "nostril" test... one person in our party has a phobia about the more invasive PCR tests... any input would really help us plan.. 

They are the nostril test. Very non-invasive. It was probably the most comfortable test I have experienced.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:06 AM, markeb said:

The cruise line contracts out testing to provide personnel and testing capability to handle nominal testing of passengers and crew periodic tests, and surge testing in the event of an outbreak onboard. 

• Thanks 1

We have two cruises from FL:

on March 26th with Royal Caribbean Odyssey of the Seas

on April 3rd on board of Celebrity Edge

As I understand the antigen test on board of Odyssey will be enough to board the Celebrity Edge (we are both vaccinated).

In order to flight home we need PCR test taken not more than 72 hours before the flight to Israel. If it is possible to get such test onboard of Celebrity Edge  or we need to book hotel for 1 day in FL?

Certainly, I undersand that the requirements may change.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, Fouremco said:

I'm not sure which is more likely to come about, acceptance of Antigen tests or waiving the test requirement for fully vaccinated travellers returning to Canada. Hopefully, July 21 will see some significant changes, and if not then, August 21.

In the mean time, you might want to do some preliminary research on test locations at your debarkation port and have tentative plans on staying a night there before flying home.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could come back and post what was needed and the process to get back into Canada.

We are booked B2B on Oasis of the Seas September 5th and 12th. 2021. We are planning on driving to Bayonne NJ. Maybe stay a couple days pre cruise in NYC. If we decide to fly, can I ask where are you getting your test done in Ottawa pre cruise flight?

My wife will need to get back to work within a day or two following the cruise so it is important that we get a PCR test before we travel back. If Royal will not provide them I'll need to find a place in NJ to get that done on a Sunday? Doesn't sound too promising. That may be the reason we will have to cancel and take the CWC offer 😞 This is our 27th Anniversary trip and first time in a Suite so really wish all goes to planned.

Fingers crossed testing requirement for fully vaccinated to travel back to Canada goes away by September but I really don't think that will happen...

Cheers LouTheGlue (aka LouTube)

• Thanks 1

As  @pixiedust777 pointed out in post #16, Celebrity would provide you with a free PCR test, so you would be good for your return to Ottawa. I don't know if Royal Caribbean has the same policy, and I haven't been following developments on that board, so perhaps you could check there. 

We don't cruise until March, and hopefully by then a PCR test will no longer be a requirement to board. I've looked at a number of possible locations in Ottawa, but there's no provider that jumps out at me as being the best choice. If the new year rolls around with no change in Celebrity's requirements, I'll revisit the subject. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works out for you! 🤞

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

I inquired before I made the payment that we would receive the required PCR test in order to fly back to Canada. I was assured that the proper test would be administered on board, free of charge, with results in order to fly home the day we disembarked. 

CELEBRITY are you listening??? We Canadians need this to happen!!!!

Canadian cruisers this summer and fall... please come back and report how it all went down.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Canadian cruisers this summer and fall... please come back and report how it all went down.

Will definitely report back.😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Will definitely report back.😊

I hope you have a wonderful time (ours isn't until Jan, and fearful "anything" can happen before that!! LOL) 

Put aside your cares, stay smart, use common sense and enjoy all the Edge has to offer. Think of us back home, wondering what Ford and Tam will do next 🙂  We're ready to hit the skies, but these stupid Covid tests really throw a wrench into planning!!

23 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

They will listen if you contact them directly vs a post on CC here.