Cruise ship fight between Florida, CDC heads to appeals court

BlerkOne

4 hours ago, kingston13 said:

They are doing testing at the beginning for unvaccinated over 2 years old.

Yes, but not for vaccinated. My question was why would they be testing vaccinated people between a B2B if they aren't testing other vaccinated people before the cruise?

Edited by SRQbeachgirl
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Exactly.  When the ships return without incident cruise after cruise, it will be difficult for the CDC to claim the cruise lines are incapable of running their business without massive restrictions and regulations.

When the ships return without incident, cruise after cruise, by following the CDC protocols and having successful cruises, it will be difficult for the FL lawsuit to claim the cruise lines are burdened by these successful protocols that allow the lines to run their business and keep passengers safe.

FIFY 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

When the ships return without incident, cruise after cruise, by following the CDC protocols and having successful cruises, it will be difficult for the FL lawsuit to claim the cruise lines are burdened by these successful protocols that allow the lines to run their business and keep passengers safe.

FIFY 😉

And the cruise lines will want to continue having safe cruises and keep their passengers safe. I don't think they will be in as much of a rush to get rid of the protocols as some on there boards seem to think.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And the cruise lines will want to continue having safe cruises and keep their passengers safe. I don't think they will be in as much of a rush to get rid of the protocols as some on there boards seem to think.

Exactly.  It provided someone else to blame, a level playing field for all companies and predictability, along with having the CDC including them in the discussions.  Now that the Courts have stepped in (and once they step in, they rarely step out) they have uncertainty, no control or input, and they will loose the "big bad CDC" to blame for protocols that they probably want (some, if not all).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Exactly.  When the ships return without incident cruise after cruise, it will be difficult for the CDC to claim the cruise lines are incapable of running their business without massive restrictions and regulations.

Except that the cruises are being conducted with the protocols in place, so it will actually do the opposite.  It will show that people will cruise under such restrictions, the cruise lines can operate under such restrictions, and that the restrictions actually work.  If people refused to book cruises or there were mass cancelations that hurt the cruise lines, then there would be ammunition for Florida.  And if there was an outbreak on a ship, it would provide ammunition for the CDC to put stricter rules in place.  The more cruises that go out, the less relevant the lawsuit becomes.  Even the cruises from the islands are using protocols that are as strict or stricter than the CDC, except for the port agreements, which are pretty much in place already.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

The protocols aren't working out so well for Disney Cruise Line or families. And how long can the cruise companies sail at half to two-thirds capacity, especially considering the massive losses they have to recover from?

Right.  Didn't a few crew members on their test cruise test positive and then test negative because of false positives?  I am sure Disney would like to cruise with their own reasonable protocols like every other business gets to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Yes, but not for vaccinated. My question was why would they be testing vaccinated people between a B2B if they aren't testing other vaccinated people before the cruise?

Because the cdc requires it. No science behind it. Any b2b requires it, no matter how short. My little b2b on breeze requires it. Its not the days, its it is a b2b. 

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Because the cdc requires it. No science behind it. Any b2b requires it, no matter how short. My little b2b on breeze requires it. Its not the days, its it is a b2b. 

More malarkey. It is local officials.

4 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Exactly.  It provided someone else to blame, a level playing field for all companies and predictability, along with having the CDC including them in the discussions.  Now that the Courts have stepped in (and once they step in, they rarely step out) they have uncertainty, no control or input, and they will loose the "big bad CDC" to blame for protocols that they probably want (some, if not all).

We need not spend time looking for CDC blame, their failures will be recorded as….legendary.  As close as yesterday they change their minds on a daily basis.  Pulling a Pontius Pilatte saying the courts are to blame is pretty funny.  The point is, if the courts were not brought in, we would be sitting on our hands waiting.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We need not spend time looking for CDC blame, their failures will be recorded as….legendary.  As close as yesterday they change their minds on a daily basis.  Pulling a Pontius Pilatte saying the courts are to blame is pretty funny.  The point is, if the courts were not brought in, we would be sitting on our hands waiting.  

You say that now.  All we can do now is watch and wait.  Many times people have celebrated when a court rules the way they like, but then are not so happy with the final decision,  or that the decision has consequences that aren't so great.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

You say that now.  All we can do now is watch and wait.  Many times people have celebrated when a court rules the way they like, but then are not so happy with the final decision,  or that the decision has consequences that aren't so great.

I will celebrate cruising resuming, which it has.  The court just did their job, the judge was pretty severe on the CDC overstepping.  There are no guarantees, everyone knows that.  The CDC thought along the same lines.  In their eyes, if we keep them doing nothing, than nobody will get sick and nobody will die.  That is EXACTLY what they were doing.  Hard to argue with it save one small factor.  It was baed on outdated and incorrect information according to the judge.  They were bleeding at a rate of over a billion a month.  Sure, lets keep them shut down despite the fact that cruising had been going on in the rest of the world since last August, with less than 20 cases (and that was before the vaccine), over 80,000 cruisers.  

Instead of being the hand holder and companion of the cruise lines they instituted draconian measures and over stepped their responsibilities (judges words, not mine).  This is what happens when academia is put in place, they rationalize themselves into a safe and tidy corner and who cares about balance, we saved lives…..  The cruise lines deserved better, these are my words, the judge agreed.   

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

History will get it right, and there will be the same conspiracy theorists denying reality.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will celebrate cruising resuming, which it has.  The court just did their job, the judge was pretty severe on the CDC overstepping.  There are no guarantees, everyone knows that.  The CDC thought along the same lines.  In their eyes, if we keep them doing nothing, than nobody will get sick and nobody will die.  That is EXACTLY what they were doing.  Hard to argue with it save one small factor.  It was baed on outdated and incorrect information according to the judge.  They were bleeding at a rate of over a billion a month.  Sure, lets keep them shut down despite the fact that cruising had been going on in the rest of the world since last August, with less than 20 cases (and that was before the vaccine), over 80,000 cruisers.  

Instead of being the hand holder and companion of the cruise lines they instituted draconian measures and over stepped their responsibilities (judges words, not mine).  This is what happens when academia is put in place, they rationalize themselves into a safe and tidy corner and who cares about balance, we saved lives…..  The cruise lines deserved better, these are my words, the judge agreed.   

Yes he did.  Now we wait for the various Appelate Court opnions.  I wonder if the people supporting this Judge's ruling will show similar support for an opnion if it disagrees with this Judge.  I totally agree that for now, this Judge's ruling is the only opnion that matters,  the rest of us are just blowing hot air.  Some with a mask on, some without.

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

Yes he did.  Now we wait for the various Appelate Court opnions.  I wonder if the people supporting this Judge's ruling will show similar support for an opnion if it disagrees with this Judge.  I totally agree that for now, this Judge's ruling is the only opnion that matters,  the rest of us are just blowing hot air.  Some with a mask on, some without.

Time is finally on the side of the cruise lines.  With each successful cruise with no issue, they prove their stance.  I have no idea what the mask comment means, but I will move on.  8/1 I will be on the HORIZON, and will be a happy camper in doing so.  I will move on.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Time is finally on the side of the cruise lines.  With each successful cruise with no issue, they prove their stance.  I have no idea what the mask comment means, but I will move on.  8/1 I will be on the HORIZON, and will be a happy camper in doing so.  I will move on.

It was a joke.   You know, those things people used to laugh at.

8 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sail with vaccinated guests or do a test cruise to see if we might let you sail is hardly a protocol its a choice.  Remember one of theThe CDC's "protocols" was full masking even while eating.  Not a burden? Successful protocol? 😶  That being said i believe the Cruise lines are proving it can be safe with the protocols that they themselves developed and could have proved it a lot earlier if the CDC had even been the least bit interested in it being proven.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Sail with vaccinated guests or do a test cruise to see if we might let you sail is hardly a protocol its a choice.  Remember one of theThe CDC's "protocols" was full masking even while eating.  Not a burden? Successful protocol? 😶  That being said i believe the Cruise lines are proving it can be safe with the protocols that they themselves developed and could have proved it a lot earlier if the CDC had even been the least bit interested in it being proven.

Cruise lines are big boys, they know what they are doing, do not need the CDC to tell them how to run their business, sure do not tell the airlines how to run theirs. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

And each day cruise lines such as DCL cannot resume cruising because the CDC requires cruise lines to treat false positives as true positives, they will weaken their stance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Dont forget also full masking and social distancing while sunbathing outdoors for fully vaccinated people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SidneyHuff1950 said:

Dont forget also full masking and social distancing while sunbathing outdoors for fully vaccinated people. 

ah yes more good protocols

• Like 2