Celebrity Edge 2021 embarkation time slots- recent cruisers' experience?

fsukel02

Everything I have read from those who posted while on the Edge, If you showed up before your time slot you had to wait in line for some time. Retreat passengers have a special entrance and were being allowed to enter and board  anytime after 12:00pm.

We are on the Equinox next month is a Sky Suite and when I checked in the earliest time slot was 12:30 to1pm. We have to check out of our hotel at 11am and plan to arrive around noon at the terminal and utilize the suite entrance. I cleared this with Celebrity when I called about another matter and was told suite guests  could board anytime after noon as others had reported on earlier cruises from FLL. The customer service person went on to say the online check-in process  was not able to give preferential boarding times to Retreat guests but they could be in the terminal and board at their leisure. I do not not for sure this is the case but I will find out soon.

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

It would seem so.
If passengers with later check in times show up and expect to be let in early, when are those who have the actual 12:00 check in time supposed to show up..? 

This reminds me of the lines and times for vaccinations...Of course this is also Covid, so hopefully things will improve.  I wonder if there is any lienency for the top Captain's Club Groups...good reason to book a suite besides all of the other advantages.

Edited by Lastdance

I have to say I've never understood the stampede to get on board the ship early. 

In pre-COVID days we normally waited until later to board, once the mad rush was over, and seldom encountered any wait at all. 

Plus, most of my cruises are ex-US, so I often would rather spend the extra half-day sightseeing in, let's say, Rome or Athens or wherever rather than queuing at the port to get onboard ship.

47 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

We had a noon check-in and arrived within a few minutes past noon. A lady came to us, asked our time, then directed us towards the terminal entrance. There was already a second line of 40+ people off to the side. There was no line at that point but boarding had just started. You showed your passport and vax card right inside the terminal doors before the escalator. Next stop was security where you showed your docs again. I assume they will keep people stationed at the first check point right inside the doors to control traffic as much as possible. I timed it at 11 minutes from drop off to standing in the Martini Bar. 

Thank you, Jeremiah1212 - this is exactly what I needed to hear. Our hotel checkout is 10am but we'll hang out at the hotel until 12p and then get transport to the port.  We're so excited we can't sit still. 

1 hour ago, KKB said:

The problem is, people have to check out of hotels at 11 or flights arrive in the morning. 

Passengers have few options with all their luggage and the need to call a Lyft/Uber/cab.

Several years ago, we were on a Canada-New England cruise on Summit.  There had been a noro outbreak on the preceding cruise.  We were enjoying a few days in NYC before sailing and the hotel concierge had arranged a car service to take us to Bayonne.  The evening before I got a text advising that boarding would not start until 3:30.  While checkout time was either 11:00 or noon, I spoke with the concierge who rescheduled our pickup til the afternoon and secured our luggage in a hold room while we went to lunch.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ask for a late check out at your hotel. You can usually extend a checkout time by 1-2 hours, depending on their incoming reservations and if you have status with the brand. Don't ask ahead of time, just call the front desk that morning.

Edited by KonaPoodle
more info
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, KonaPoodle said:

Ask for a late check out at your hotel. You can usually extend a checkout time by 1-2 hours, depending on their incoming reservations and if you have status with the brand. Don't ask ahead of time, just call the front desk that morning.

I have never been turned down when asking for this..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, megatwin07 said:

I'm on this cruise too, and in AquaClass. Yesterday I was actually able to move my check in time from 12:30 to 11:30 in the Celebrity App. Maybe something to look into and see if earlier times opened up! 

Same thing with the Wife and I for this Sunday on Equinox…

25 minutes ago, megatwin07 said:

I'm on this cruise too, and in AquaClass. Yesterday I was actually able to move my check in time from 12:30 to 11:30 in the Celebrity App. Maybe something to look into and see if earlier times opened up! 

Thank you for this. I looked, and I can switch too. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with 3 other family members driving to the port separately (one of which, mom, is on my same reservation), so I have to consult them before changing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KonaPoodle said:

Thank you for this. I looked, and I can switch too. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with 3 other family members driving to the port separately (one of which, mom, is on my same reservation), so I have to consult them before changing. 

Good luck! I had to just ask my husband but it became more of a "I'm going to do this" 😜. Hope to see you all on board! Super excited!!

• Haha 1

Celebrity folks (actual employees) said they are adhering to the time frame assigned to let people check in.  I know some say the suites are allowed to check in whenever they want, but I've heard that isn't a given, either.

Just going by what I observed a couple of weeks ago when I sailed out of FL, they were not letting people board much earlier (if any earlier) than their assigned check in time.

Given it's summer...in FL.....I think I might get to the pier as close to the assigned check in time as possible. And, if it isn't possible, to hang at your hotel, a restaurant, the airport until the assigned check in time so you're not stuck outside in the heat and humidity for a long period of time.

I know some said they had no choice.  If that's truly the case, then bring one of those little fold up seats (they use them at golf tournaments), some bottled water, an umbrella to keep the sun off, and perhaps some snacks while you wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, megatwin07 said:

Good luck! I had to just ask my husband but it became more of a "I'm going to do this" 😜. Hope to see you all on board! Super excited!!

Brother's girlfriend said "I agree" to my text and we changed it for the 4 of us. 👍

When are you sailing? I'm on the Edge on Aug 7th. If same, see you at 1130 in 10 days!

Edited by KonaPoodle
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KonaPoodle said:

Brother's girlfriend said "I agree" to my text and we changed it for the 4 of us. 👍

When are you sailing? I'm on the Edge on Aug 7th. If same, see you at 1130 in 10 days!

I am on the Edge on August 7th, and just changed my check in time to 11:30, so I will see you then. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KonaPoodle said:

See you on August 7th! Thanks for the info…just switched our boarding time to 11:30am. 🤞see you next Saturday!

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, KonaPoodle said:

I'm on in 3 days - July 31st!! I'll get the ship ready for you 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MonaCK said:

I am on the Edge on August 7th, and just changed my check in time to 11:30, so I will see you then. 😄

Thanks for the information, I just moved ours up from 12:30 to 11:30 am on our Aug 27th cruise. That is the first time I have seen on the app a time sooner than 12 pm after we checked in.

• Like 1

I wonder if they figured out they could process more passengers per hour and adjusted the number of slots accordingly.   If this is just a typical Celebrity IT mess up it's going to cause a real mess at the terminal when everyone shows up at 11:30!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I wonder if they figured out they could process more passengers per hour and adjusted the number of slots accordingly.   If this is just a typical Celebrity IT mess up it's going to cause a real mess at the terminal when everyone shows up at 11:30!

Oh no that could mean 1200 passengers all showing up at 11:30 Yikes!!

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We checked in the day after we made final payment and have 12:00 for our October cruise.  Just checked the app and the earliest available now is 12:30. I'll check closer to October to see if an 11:30 check in opens up.

I found the same a couple days ago and was wondering if Celebrity was listening to the complaints.

43 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

I wonder if after the first few cruises they have figured out they can have everything clean and ready for boarding by 11:30 and originally had played it save with 12:00 to give enough time.

Quite possible especially is they are disembarking everyone early.  No more lingering in the Retreat Lounge. I saw a post that Retreat guests were to meet in a specific place, possibly Eden, to disembark. Our flight home was just changed so we need to get to the airport earlier so will not linger.

Boarded on 7/17. Had an easy experience.

Time slot was 1 to 1.30 pm. Arrived at 1.15 pm.

There were two lines, roped, under the shade. Went to the first line. Rep/shore side checked set sail pass and time slot. Let us onto the first line. Couple behind us was told to stand in another place to wait their turn. Lady argued, rep politely told them to wait in another area since they were letting in 1.30 time slot at that moment. There were about 5 couples in front of us. They moved the line very fast. Everybody was request to mask up as they were called inside. People were moved inside from both lines. Inside they checked our vaccine cards and passports and took pictures of those. Then up the escalator to security and then to the ship. Security pictures were taken right before approaching the gangway. Key cards were outside the room. it was quite smooth.

While in line I observed some disgruntled people demanding priority and were told to wait, some in the second line and some in another area. No idea if they were suite guests or others eligible for priority row or just some of those entitled people.

This was the scenario at the time we boarded. Others may have had varying experiences.

• Thanks 1