Singapore "Cruise to Nowhere" passengers quarantine in their staterooms..

Wait. No one on the ship even tested positive? One of the passengers was contact-traced to a positive case on land? This seems like an excessive response! 1600 passengers confined to rooms because ONE passenger had contact with one positive person before boarding?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Wait. No one on the ship even tested positive? One of the passengers was contact-traced to a positive case on land? This seems like an excessive response! 1600 passengers confined to rooms because ONE passenger had contact with one positive person before boarding?

Oh, I must have misread initially. The passenger in question did eventually test positive as well.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It seems the positive was confirmed.  And the passengers were asked to return to their cabins for that day, maybe they don't have contact tracing?

But I agree, seems excessive.

• Like 1

This is why when people keep saying “have you booked a cruise” I say “nope”.

Until the cruise line guarantees if one person tests positive I don’t have to sit in my room, I’ll take the land vacations I guess. If vaccinated, everyone else should be able to,go about their day.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kollegekreed said:

This is why when people keep saying “have you booked a cruise” I say “nope”.

Until the cruise line guarantees if one person tests positive I don’t have to sit in my room, I’ll take the land vacations I guess. If vaccinated, everyone else should be able to,go about their day.

So far, on ships sailing in the Caribbean, positive tests of individual passengers have not resulted in general ship quarantines, though I do believe some contact tracing is done and close contacts are isolated until tested.

• Like 2

So, and open to being corrected, this appears to have been a cruise that allowed passengers on the basis of a rapid antigen test prior to boarding - a far cry from looking for 100% vaccination, or even 95%.  One would (or should) imagine that a case aboard a 100% vaccinated cruise would deliver a completely different response.

Cruise industry, and everyone else - especially the media, need to accept that if there are cases on land there will be cases at sea.  But we still have media headlining a case on a cruise ship to make headlines.

• Like 5

It's just screwy!  From today's news.  It did go on to say that the symptoms with the vaccinated folks were mild.  And that over 80% of the ICU folks were unvaccinated.   I got no idea where we are headed with cruising. I wannna go! 

At least 11 healthcare workers, eight of whom were fully vaccinated, tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a pool party in Las Vegas in on June 7, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported, citing emails from the local health district.

At least 10 of the 11 people caught the highly infectious Delta coronavirus variant, according to the emails from the Southern Nevada Health District obtained by the Brown Institute for Media Innovation and shared with the newspaper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Huh.  On a fully vaccinated cruise.

Do we know that indeed is the case?  These cruises to nowhere out of Singapore started in November 2020 before vaccines were even available.  I have read nothing yet confirming everyone on board was vaccinated.  Do we know if that is confirmed?

26 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

Do we know that indeed is the case?  These cruises to nowhere out of Singapore started in November 2020 before vaccines were even available.  I have read nothing yet confirming everyone on board was vaccinated.  Do we know if that is confirmed?

The safety page on their web site makes it look like unvaccinated guests are allowed.

59 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

So, and open to being corrected, this appears to have been a cruise that allowed passengers on the basis of a rapid antigen test prior to boarding - a far cry from looking for 100% vaccination, or even 95%.  One would (or should) imagine that a case aboard a 100% vaccinated cruise would deliver a completely different response.

Cruise industry, and everyone else - especially the media, need to accept that if there are cases on land there will be cases at sea.  But we still have media headlining a case on a cruise ship to make headlines.

According to Forbes, "The passenger was fully vaccinated and had tested negative in a rapid antigen test before boarding".  But none of the various articles appear to address whether vaccination certs were shown.  You'd think a journalist might ask.

9 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

According to Forbes, "The passenger was fully vaccinated and had tested negative in a rapid antigen test before boarding".  But none of the various articles appear to address whether vaccination certs were shown.  You'd think a journalist might ask.

I'm aware the article said the the infected passenger was vaccinated.  The poster above indicated the whole cruise ship was fully vaccinated.  I'm assuming he is privy to information the rest of us haven't seen as of yet.  Still awaiting confirmation one way or the other.

Edited by MichiganBound
  • Like 1

Am I surprised or shocked about "their" response, not at all.  Other countries, especially those in the Asia Pacific regions and Southeast Asia, take drastic measures upon news and reporting of travelers testing positive, until proven & re-tested otherwise.  The current outbreak in the Philippines is nothing compared to that of Indonesia, but next door to Singapore at Malaysia - it is pretty serious & dynamic, with the focus shifting away from India and the summer Olympic in Japan going ahead without spectators.  Countries with adjacent border boundaries have locked down and shut their borders again recently.  Google the latest numbers & decide on how one choose to interpret the data.  

Here's the latest on Genting Dream - half of the passengers had been permitted to disembark early ... the entire crew remaining on board (no "shore leaves" for being off-duty ...)  It was felt that these CTN short cruises for restricted guests from the region only are the safest way to manage the re-starting of cruising.  

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/more-than-half-on-dream-cruises-ship-with-covid-19-patient-have-disembarked-some-told-to

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Am I surprised or shocked about "their" response, not at all.  Other countries, especially those in the Asia Pacific regions and Southeast Asia, take drastic measures upon news and reporting of travelers testing positive, until proven & re-tested otherwise. 

Same here, they take things very seriously in Singapore.  Hence the reason chewing gum/spitting is not allowed (they had a major outbreak of some illness).  Quarantine means quarantine, breaking it means jail time and fines. 

On 7/14/2021 at 4:39 PM, MichiganBound said:

You are right.  I misread, the passenger was fully vaccinated but not the entire cruise.  I am curious to know if they were able to infect anyone else on the ship.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, JamieLogical said:

So far, on ships sailing in the Caribbean, positive tests of individual passengers have not resulted in general ship quarantines, though I do believe some contact tracing is done and close contacts are isolated until tested.

correct, I was on RCL Adventure of the Seas for the June 19 sailing in which 2 kids tested positive mid cruise.  The ship requirements were all passengers 16 and over were vaccinated and all kids 15 and under had a test at the pier (cant remember if rapid or PCR).  I think I heard that with the total kid count we were at ~92% vaccinated (about 80 kids out of 1050 passengers).

The kids tested positive during the rapid antigen testing which was required on day 4/5 for returning to the United States.  I don't think either kid had symptoms.  All the results took awhile to get back so the running joke was that if they hadn't already come and grabbed you (gestapo style) and stuffed you back in your room, you probably tested negative.  From what we were told, they retested the immediate family and then contact traced everyone via the camera system and retested anyone deemed a close contact.  None of the close contacts tested positive, and they all stayed onboard.

Other than the Captain coming over the loud speaker and informing the guests of the situation and current status (ie re-testing of close contacts and removing the family from the ship), nothing else changed.  I was on the pool deck when he made the announcement and I would guess about 50% of the people onboard didn't hear it and had no clue it even happened.

If a tree (vaccinated person) falls in the forest (is asymptomatic) and nobody is around (is never tested), did it make a sound (are they a menace to society)?

- The Forgotten 20

Edited by Tippyton

24 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

If a tree (vaccinated person) falls in the forest (is asymptomatic) and nobody is around (is never tested), did it make a sound (are they a menace to society)?

- The Forgotten 20

From what I understand they are not a menace. The fact that they have been vaccinated and are asymptomatic I understand makes them have such a low viral load it would be difficult if not impossible for them to spread the virus. That is just my layperson understanding though.