When did Carnival change the drink limit to 15 drinks even without Cheers?

9 hours ago, Aplmac said:

FIFTEEN alcohol drinks a day is an obscene amount.

Houston... we have a problem!

not really if you are a drinker-I'm on vacation and not driving

on a sea day I could see myself having (depending on the pour-if one shot each:

2 bloody marys @ breakfast

2 or 3 frozen drinks by the pool

1 or 2 beers at lunch

2 or 3 more frozen drinks by the pool

1 or 2 Jack and diets before dinner

1 more Jack during dinner

after dinner a few Baileys on the rocks...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ngrund said:

1 or 2 beers at lunch

Sounds good to me, what's the problem....

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Just find a moderate drinker and slip them a $20 to order you a drink. 

Nah, just hit up wives/girlfriends/significant others, they always have plenty of drinks left on their cheers. 😁 Sometimes having to buy for both has its benefits. It's like a backup insurance plan lol. I suppose there may be a few ladies who enjoy this fringe benefit as well for the light weight husbands/boyfriends/significant others as well but it's usually the former in my experience.     

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

There will be no more alcohol purchases after 15 drinks in a 24 period, at all. The card will become deactivated for any drink coded as alcohol in the same manner it will be prior to the safety briefing. It has not been 15 for years outside of the Cheers package. This is a newish policy. Enjoy! 

I thought it was fairly new. I know before, a couple of years ago, John Heald addressed it and said that it was up to the bartender whether or not to serve you past 15 drinks. Looks like it's official policy now at 15 period.

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy

17 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Nah, just hit up wives/girlfriends/significant others, they always have plenty of drinks left on their cheers. 😁 Sometimes having to buy for both has its benefits. It's like a backup insurance plan lol. I suppose there may be a few ladies who enjoy this fringe benefit as well for the light weight husbands/boyfriends/significant others as well but it's usually the former in my experience.     

Hey, I want my $20 bucks for buying some drinks! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

There will be no more alcohol purchases after 15 drinks in a 24 period, at all. The card will become deactivated for any drink coded as alcohol in the same manner it will be prior to the safety briefing. It has not been 15 for years outside of the Cheers package. This is a newish policy. Enjoy! 

For single drinks I can see and for those on cheers but what about those not on them who buy group drinks like buckets, shareable large format, bottles of wine, bottles to the cabin etc. It really doesn't make sense for those type of drinks. You could buy a lot of those and actually only drink very little if traveling with a group or even a small party.   

• Like 1

Actually, now that I think about it, it could just be 15 drink purchases no matter what you buy. 15 cocktails, 15 buckets, 15 bottles of wine, 15 pitchers etc or any combination of those different purchases to equal 15 purchases. They need to be careful not to become too nanny like or the competition that offers unlimited can use it against them and eat their lunch. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I haven't sailed Carnival in about 10 years. I hit the 15 drink limit once, and was cut off. I like to try different drinks, which is what I did that night, didn't really drink that many. Anyway thinking of giving Carnival another try. Been doing some research and get different answers. even within this thread I can't a solid answer. I know this is an old thread, so instead of starting a new one, I just replied to this one. So I have a couple of questions. Would be great if someone could answer them for me. All drink related.

1) if I don't purchase cheers if there still a 15 drinks limit?

2) if I purchase a bottle of wine during dinner and I do have cheers, how does this count towards the daily limit?

Edited by bruce85

6 minutes ago, bruce85 said:

I haven't sailed Carnival in about 10 years. I hit the 15 drink limit once, and was cut off. I like to try different drinks, which is what I did that night, didn't really drink that many. Anyway thinking of giving Carnival another try. Been doing some research and get different answers. So I have a couple of questions. Would be great if someone could answer them for me. All drink related.

1) if I don't purchase cheers if there still a 15 drinks limit?

2) if I purchase a bottle of wine during dinner and I do have cheers, how does this count towards the daily limit?

1. yes

2. it doesn't. only individually served alcoholic drinks count against your 15

• Thanks 1

While we are talking about drink limits I have a couple of questions,

Does a bucket of beer count as 1 drink or 5?

When they offer to make your mixed drink a double for 4 $ more does it count as 1 drink or 2?

On 7/18/2021 at 9:28 PM, ngrund said:

1 or 2 beers at lunch

We're all different, but If I had 2 bloody marys at breakfast I'd be pretty much done with drinking 'til at least dinner (and maybe napping through lunch).

• Like 1

If there is 1 and 1/2 ounces of booze in each drink, 15 drinks = 22 + ounces, or about 2/3 of a quart (32 oz),

If someone can handle drinking almost a bottle of booze daily...........

15 beers is a whole different story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hard_eight said:

Holy Thread-surrection

Buckets don't count. Also, won't sell you a bucket now if you have Cheers. Sucks.

That's new about the buckets. For my June cruise I was able to preorder two 4 packs of beer (IPA) for the room (2 is the limit I guess) even though I have Cheers. You have to agree to drink the beer in the room or in the main dining room only (Yeti's are worth bringing). 

2 hours ago, ibarrio said:

That's new about the buckets. For my June cruise I was able to preorder two 4 packs of beer (IPA) for the room (2 is the limit I guess) even though I have Cheers. You have to agree to drink the beer in the room or in the main dining room only (Yeti's are worth bringing). 

3 hours ago, simplelife said:

We're all different, but If I had 2 bloody marys at breakfast I'd be pretty much done with drinking 'til at least dinner (and maybe napping through lunch).

YUP....15 a day?  I'm sure they cut it at that for safety reasons....guaranteed those people who don't know how they ended up overboard....ya right....I'll tell you how....look at their bar tab....They should cut it at 10

Edited by abby1257
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

If there is 1 and 1/2 ounces of booze in each drink, 15 drinks = 22 + ounces, or about 2/3 of a quart (32 oz),

If someone can handle drinking almost a bottle of booze daily...........

15 beers is a whole different story.

Single vodka drinks are probably 1oz.  I have no problem hitting 15 over a 15 hour day of drinking.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

YUP....15 a day?  I'm sure they cut it at that for safety reasons....guaranteed those people who don't know how they ended up overboard....ya right....I'll tell you how....look at their bar tab....They should cut it at 10

Men can metabolize 1 standard drink per hour. Binge drinking is why people fall off...not because they hit their limit over the course of a long day. You mix in water and Gatorade and not slam 15 in 3 hours and one should be ok.  

32 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Single vodka drinks are probably 1oz.  I have no problem hitting 15 over a 15 hour day of drinking.  

I have no problems hitting 15 drinks during sea days. Heck, on our last cruise, people were drinking while at the bars or restaurants during port days. Those drink don't count towards your 15...

Edited by john91498

• 5 months later...

As a "one beer a day" drinker on cruises (non on land because of a deal I made with the State of California 4 decades ago) I'm now putting in my bid to buy drinks for any and all you lushes for a $5 premium.  😁

I'm sorry, but I must say, if you require more than 15 drinks in a 24 hour period to have fun, you're a drunk and, unfortunately, you'll most likely will be the last to know it.

I apologize for being the Debbie Downer and I know some of you will never agree with anything I have to say in the future, but that's life.😂

Edited by glrounds
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1